PDA

View Full Version : Schottenheimer Sr. and Jr. to Buffalo?

BillsWin
11-18-2009, 05:02 PM
Taken from boards.buffalobills.com and billievers.com/forums.

Take it for what it's worth. This is from ESPN Insiders RUMOR CENTRAL...

With Dick Jauron out as head coach of the Buffalo Bills, we'll continue to get tips left and right as to who will be his eventual replacement. For now, it's Perry Fewell with the headset, as the former defensive coordinator was named interim coach on Tuesday.

But might the Bills take a look to their rich AFL history to select the next head man? Several pundits -- including AFC East blogger Tim Graham -- have suggested that the team may go with Marty Schottenheimer, who was dumped by the Chargers after leading them to a 14-2 record in the 2007 season, and who played for the Bills in the 1960's.

An interesting angle to the Schottenheimer hire would be that it would open the door for him to hire his son, Brian Schottenheimer, as offensive coordinator -- a reverse of what Lane Kiffin did at the University of Tennessee in hiring his pops as the defensive coordinator. Brian was considered a leading candidate to take over as head coach of the New York Jets following the ouster of Eric Mangini, but the team eventually hired Rex Ryan, which did not sit well with Schottenheimer at the time. Going further with this hypothetical, we could foresee the Schottenheimers setting up a progression plan in Buffalo, where Marty would coach for a set period, then the team could have an easy transition to Brian.

Mudflap1
11-18-2009, 05:06 PM
Thanks for the link. Looks like nothing more than a theory at this point. At least people are talking though.

trapezeus
11-18-2009, 05:06 PM
cool, so marty can get us into the playoffs, and then brian can actually win in the playoffs? sounds like a plan. plus a little animosity towards the jets would be a good thing.

Luisito23
11-18-2009, 05:09 PM
I want Marty, but not his son. That guy is horrible

bflojohn
11-18-2009, 05:11 PM
The father/son combo idea is quite possible! Mike Shanahan had total control in Denver in regard to personnel, so he could take the GM post and offer Kyle his first NFL Head Coaching position, as a result. I would think Marty could do the same with Brian, so the concept is intreging!!

BuffaloBlitz83
11-18-2009, 05:23 PM
His son Brian is a moron.

MassEffect218435
11-18-2009, 05:24 PM
I'd take the combo over Shanahan.

BuffaloBlitz83
11-18-2009, 05:49 PM
I'd take the combo over Shanahan.

Says the Patriot fan.

Ingtar33
11-18-2009, 05:53 PM
that's because Shanahan owns the Pats.

Of course the Colts own Shanahan... so... it's a tradeoff.

Mudflap1
11-18-2009, 05:53 PM
I was once told by some Kansas City locals that the real reason Marty was fired from K.C. was because his son Brian was porking Elvis Grbac's wife (Grbac was QB at the time), which was frowned upon. When Marty was told he had to rectify the situation, he backed up his son and wouldn't fire him. Hence they both were given their walking papers.

BillsWin
11-18-2009, 05:58 PM
I was once told by some Kansas City locals that the real reason Marty was fired from K.C. was because his son Brian was porking Elvis Grbac's wife (Grbac was QB at the time), which was frowned upon. When Marty was told he had to rectify the situation, he backed up his son and wouldn't fire him. Hence they both were given their walking papers.

:roflmao:

Nighthawk
11-18-2009, 06:12 PM
Not happening...Marty was contacted by Channel 2 News and he says he's done coaching and does not want to be a GM.

starrymessenger
11-18-2009, 06:26 PM
Not happening...Marty was contacted by Channel 2 News and he says he's done coaching and does not want to be a GM.

Good. He is a jerk. So is his lousy son.