PDA

View Full Version : Ralph Wilson is playing with Fire...

DraftBoy
11-18-2009, 08:42 PM
Now Im on the record for preferring a rookie HC to a proven one so let's get that out of the way right now. Im in no way trying to bash the potential hire of Mike Shanahan, if he is hired Ill be just as excited as everyone else. However my issue here is that I fele like if we don't land Shanny that the next coach is screwed before he even starts.

The fan base is dejected (and rightfully so) and if you leak big time names you damn well better land one. Because if you don't you look like you're playing the bottom line game and just trying to put up a front of appeasing the fan base. Bills fans are too disgruntles for that to work this time around. Especially after the TO stunt.

I hope we land Shanny (Id prefer him to Cowher) however if we don't, I really hope the next coach has really thick skin.

PECKERWOOD
11-18-2009, 08:43 PM
:bf1:

Mhm.

Nighthawk
11-18-2009, 08:45 PM
Now Im on the record for preferring a rookie HC to a proven one so let's get that out of the way right now. Im in no way trying to bash the potential hire of Mike Shanahan, if he is hired Ill be just as excited as everyone else. However my issue here is that I fele like if we don't land Shanny that the next coach is screwed before he even starts.

The fan base is dejected (and rightfully so) and if you leak big time names you damn well better land one. Because if you don't you look like you're playing the bottom line game and just trying to put up a front of appeasing the fan base. Bills fans are too disgruntles for that to work this time around. Especially after the TO stunt.

I hope we land Shanny (Id prefer him to Cowher) however if we don't, I really hope the next coach has really thick skin.

Excellent points and very true...we will see.

PECKERWOOD
11-18-2009, 08:47 PM
If we don't hire Shanahan, Ralph might as well poor gasoline all over his franchise and drive it off a cliff.

Typ0
11-18-2009, 08:47 PM
Im in no way trying to bash the potential hire of Mike Shanahan, if he is hired Ill be just as excited as everyone else.

which is not all that much right?

DraftBoy
11-18-2009, 08:48 PM
which is not all that much right?
Why would I not be excited by hiring Shanny?

Demon
11-18-2009, 08:53 PM

While this is true, i don't understand what you're suggesting? Wilson, is going after big time guys, he can not point a gun to their face and make them accept. If they reject us, and after a few months, we move on and go after the "young and cheap" coaching crowd, Wilson will look bad, for obvious reasons. But he also can't force Shanahan or whoever else they aim at to keep quiet.

It'd be one thing if Wilson came out and said "we're going after big name coaching..... i'll have Shanahan in my suite box when we play Miami".

DraftBoy
11-18-2009, 09:03 PM
While this is true, i don't understand what you're suggesting? Wilson, is going after big time guys, he can not point a gun to their face and make them accept. If they reject us, and after a few months, we move on and go after the "young and cheap" coaching crowd, Wilson will look bad, for obvious reasons. But he also can't force Shanahan or whoever else they aim at to keep quiet.

It'd be one thing if Wilson came out and said "we're going after big name coaching..... i'll have Shanahan in my suite box when we play Miami".

Im suggesting its a bad idea to be leaking names to an excitable fan base that is already on edge about Wilson himself.

If he does not sign a big name coach (whether they rejects us or not) he will be blamed for it, and the new coach will be doomed before he even starts. Thus the danger in what he is doing.

Demon
11-18-2009, 09:05 PM
Im suggesting its a bad idea to be leaking names to an excitable fan base that is already on edge about Wilson himself.

If he does not sign a big name coach (whether they rejects us or not) he will be blamed for it, and the new coach will be doomed before he even starts. Thus the danger in what he is doing.

I understand what you're saying but people really close to the situation, aka, Shanahan himelf, Ralph, Brandon, and probably Guy and Modrak, don't leak anything out. It's other people within the organization who learn the info or someone from Shanahan's side.... agent's side.... to not leak it, is almost impossible.

DraftBoy
11-18-2009, 09:10 PM
I understand what you're saying but people really close to the situation, aka, Shanahan himelf, Ralph, Brandon, and probably Guy and Modrak, don't leak anything out. It's other people within the organization who learn the info or someone from Shanahan's side.... agent's side.... to not leak it, is almost impossible.

You know whose leaking info because?

Im not saying Wilson is leaking it but if he is letting it get out from his side its bad news if they don't make the signing.

Night Train
11-18-2009, 09:11 PM
That Shefter found the story doesn't make it a pressure situation.

If fans rush to early expectations/assumptions, then it's a reflection on todays socierty of instant gratification due to a present bad situation. This is a long process involving interest, $$ and multiple candidates.

Shanahan may be the first of many being contacted to gauge an interest.

Let it play out and let the others act like drama queens.

BertSquirtgum
11-18-2009, 09:11 PM
the more i think about it the more i think shanahan best suits what the bills need and are looking for.

Typ0
11-18-2009, 09:14 PM
the more i think about it the more i think shanahan best suits what the bills need and are looking for.

a guy who will beef up short term ticket sales but in the long run prove to be a tremendous disappointment?

Demon
11-18-2009, 09:17 PM
You know whose leaking info because?

Im not saying Wilson is leaking it but if he is letting it get out from his side its bad news if they don't make the signing.

No, i don't, but it's more of common sense and connecting the dots. First, why would the Bills leak it? There's no need for it, and for the reasons you pointed out, i'm sure they thought of. The main guys around a deal usually don't ever leak anything out (sports deals, business deals) it's always people in the office who hear something. Ralph Wilson could have told Jim Kelly, who could have told Thurman Thomas (based on his tweets today)... but neither of them could have leaked it. Thomas could have told it to someone, maybe former player, who then leaked it.....

OR

Since it's coming from Schefter, who's known Shanahan for years, and has worked with him on a book, it's more then likley coming from that side. I doubt Schefter has too many contacts within the Bills organization since he has yet to report anything on the Bills, and he's close with Shanahan and breaks this news story...

Also, Vic Carucci, who is close to the Bills claims there was no contact with Shanahan, chances are, that's what he was told from OBD where he has contacts.

To me, it makes perfect sense, but maybe that's just me.

DraftBoy
11-18-2009, 09:22 PM
No, i don't, but it's more of common sense and connecting the dots. First, why would the Bills leak it? There's no need for it, and for the reasons you pointed out, i'm sure they thought of. The main guys around a deal usually don't ever leak anything out (sports deals, business deals) it's always people in the office who hear something. Ralph Wilson could have told Jim Kelly, who could have told Thurman Thomas (based on his tweets today)... but neither of them could have leaked it. Thomas could have told it to someone, maybe former player, who then leaked it.....

OR

Since it's coming from Schefter, who's known Shanahan for years, and has worked with him on a book, it's more then likley coming from that side. I doubt Schefter has too many contacts within the Bills organization since he has yet to report anything on the Bills, and he's close with Shanahan and breaks this news story...

Also, Vic Carucci, who is close to the Bills claims there was no contact with Shanahan, chances are, that's what he was told from OBD where he has contacts.

To me, it makes perfect sense, but maybe that's just me.

The Bills may be trying to build on positive press from firing Jauron yesterday so this would be a reat way to keep the fan base excited.

It doesn't really matter who leaked it though, what's done is done. Now Wilson has to deal with the ramifications.

DraftBoy
11-18-2009, 09:22 PM
That Shefter found the story doesn't make it a pressure situation.

If fans rush to early expectations/assumptions, then it's a reflection on todays socierty of instant gratification due to a present bad situation. This is a long process involving interest, $$ and multiple candidates.

Shanahan may be the first of many being contacted to gauge an interest.

Let it play out and let the others act like drama queens.
Have you met our fan base?

BertSquirtgum
11-18-2009, 09:26 PM
a guy who will beef up short term ticket sales but in the long run prove to be a tremendous disappointment?

no, a guy who will run some of the football operations and be the head coach. also has a winning record. always liked him in denver except when the bills played them.

Demon
11-18-2009, 09:26 PM
The Bills may be trying to build on positive press from firing Jauron yesterday so this would be a reat way to keep the fan base excited.

It doesn't really matter who leaked it though, what's done is done. Now Wilson has to deal with the ramifications.

Yeah, and that i agree with, like i agree with your thread, My only point is, it's almost impossible to keep such big news from leaking where so many people are involved (Wilson, his staff, Brandon, probably Guy and Modrak, Mike and his family). It could def back fire and make the Bills look bad, even if they do end up interviewing him.

But you got to admit, the last 2 days were probably the most fun we've had as fans in a long long time? lol

Ground Chuck
11-18-2009, 09:27 PM
Why don't we just wait and see what happens before you get your panties in a bunch worrying about things that won't happen.

imbondz
11-18-2009, 10:27 PM
I don't understand why we don't just hire a coach that will win us a SuperBowl.

Tatonka
11-18-2009, 10:30 PM
If we don't hire Shanahan, Ralph might as well poor gasoline all over his franchise and drive it off a cliff.

i thought he did that already.

jamze132
11-18-2009, 10:41 PM

Come on man! You know us Bills fans are a glutten for punishment!

mybills
11-19-2009, 06:01 AM
I don't understand why we don't just hire a coach that will win us a SuperBowl.
You don't?
:gag:

mybills
11-19-2009, 06:05 AM
Now Im on the record for preferring a rookie HC to a proven one
I didn't know that, but I preferred that as well. I said it thinking they were gonna get another defense-on-the-brain coach. But now that they've given up on that idea, it's all good!

elltrain22
11-19-2009, 06:15 AM

Very good point, b/c all this hype we've already heard about (possibility of 2-time super bowl coach) is very intriguing, and has gotten my hopes up VERY, VERY much. Yeah, if we hired a guy who is unproven, I'd be very upset, and would be that much more critical of the other guy.

Good point as usual.