• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BillsWin
    man amongst boys
    • Oct 2008

Bills and Shanahan to meet next week

The official source for NFL news, video highlights, fantasy football, game-day coverage, schedules, stats, scores and more.

« Bills haven’t asked for meeting with Shanahan

News
    Shanahan likely to meet with Bills officials next week

Posted: November 19th, 2009 | Vic Carucci | Tags: Bill Cowher, Buffalo Bills, Mike Shanahan, Ralph Wilson
    Mike Shanahan has emerged as the Bills’ “No. 1 candidate” to become their full-time coach after the season, according to a source close to the team.
    The source said a meeting between Shanahan, Bills owner Ralph Wilson and Bills chief operating officer/general manager Russ Brandon, who is overseeing the hiring process, likely will take place next week.
    Former Steelers coach Bill Cowher also is high on the Bills’ list of candidates, but at the moment, they are focused on Shanahan, who guided the Broncos to back-to-back Super Bowl championships in the late 1990s but was fired after last season.
    There’s also strong speculation that the Redskins are pursuing Shanahan to replace Jim Zorn as their coach after the season. However, according to the source close to the Bills, Shanahan is intrigued by the “low-maintenance” situation he would have in Buffalo as opposed to Washington.
    The Bills, the source said, are willing to offer whatever salary is necessary to land a high-end candidate such as Shanahan and would give him total control of the football operation, something Wilson has generally been opposed to doing in the past. Adding to the job’s attractiveness, according to the source, is the fact the team is in solid financial shape and not burdened by any dead salary-cap money.
    “This is his (Wilson’s) last coach and (he) is going to do everything it takes to get it right,” the source said of the 91-year-old owner.
    The Bills fired Dick Jauron on Tuesday and made defensive coordinator Perry Fewell their interim head coach.
    Vic Carucci
    Last edited by BillsWin; 11-18-2009, 11:47 PM.
    I am The Batman.
  • BillsWin
    man amongst boys
    • Oct 2008

Re: Bills and Shanahan to meet next week

I almost fainted when I read that we are willing to pay anything to get a high profile coach and Cowher is on our list.
    I am The Batman.

Comment

• Romes
      • Jul 2002

Prefer Cowher but would be happy with Shanahan. So happy to hear RWjr. Is willing to dish out the cash. God knows he can't take it with him...
      Originally posted by paladin warrior
      RALPH is drove me nut.

Comment

• BillsWin
        man amongst boys
        • Oct 2008

Reading these words, it seems like Ralph finally understands that yes, us Bills fans are grateful to have a team. But with all the money and passion we put into it, we deserve more and I think he is finally ready to give to get.

I still need to see it happen first, but wow. What a change in 48 hours.
        I am The Batman.

Comment

• Demon
          • Mar 2003

Carucci changes his stance. Very nice.
          Impossible is Nothing.

Comment

• BertSquirtgum
            • May 2009

that was a beautiful read. many things said in the statement has me in high spirits, i'm very delighted.

Comment

• BillsWin
              man amongst boys
              • Oct 2008

Originally posted by SmokeyTheBear
              that was a beautiful read. many things said in the statement has me in high spirits, i'm very delighted.
              Things are definitely beginning to move in the right direction...
              I am The Batman.

Comment

• BoyILuvLoznStupidly
                • Sep 2009

This is great news to hear. This time we make actually have something to look forward in this team. But like you said I have to see it happen first. Nice find and thanks for the link Billswin

Comment

• mikemac2001
                  is the creepy cross dresser staring at you in the corner
                  • Mar 2003

If Ralph highers a high profile high paid coach at least he goes out with a bang.

all these posters say he doesnt care and is a greedy owner, if it was true would have moved us long ago.

i think his pride was shot a little after the bud adams flick off show...and maybe that was a changing point for the bills

MUCK
                  FIAMI

Comment

• Philagape
                    WIN NOW
                    • Jul 2002

"This is an old person trying to get into heaven." -- Bill Cosby
                    "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
                    2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• mikemac2001
                      is the creepy cross dresser staring at you in the corner
                      • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Philagape
                      "This is an old person trying to get into heaven." -- Bill Cosby

i steal your avatars for my Ffball pick

they crack me up

MUCK
                      FIAMI

Comment

• Throne Logic
                        Terry Tate - Outside Linebacker
                        • Aug 2002

I've always felt Shanahan was somewhat overrated. His success was primarily related to having John Elway and Terrell Davis atop a very talented roster. Since then, he's really not done consistently spectacular things. In fact there were a number of really odd issues. I've thought on more than one occasion that it was surprising that he still had a job in Denver. Then, suddenly, he didn't - and with good reason. Ego and popularity far exceed the results since Elway retired.

Of all the "high profile" coaches available, Shanny is way down toward the bottom of my list. I think I'd actually prefer giving Fewell a shot rather than going with Shanahan.
                        Still searching for that offensive rhythm.

Comment

• BuffaloBlitz83
                          We play to win the game!
                          • Oct 2009

Originally posted by Throne Logic
                          I've always felt Shanahan was somewhat overrated. His success was primarily related to having John Elway and Terrell Davis atop a very talented roster. Since then, he's really not done consistently spectacular things. In fact there were a number of really odd issues. I've thought on more than one occasion that it was surprising that he still had a job in Denver. Then, suddenly, he didn't - and with good reason. Ego and popularity far exceed the results since Elway retired.

Of all the "high profile" coaches available, Shanny is way down toward the bottom of my list. I think I'd actually prefer giving Fewell a shot rather than going with Shanahan.
                          you're insane in membrane

Comment

• BertSquirtgum
                            • May 2009

Originally posted by Throne Logic

drugs are bad. overrated my ass. stop being ignorant.

Comment

• Borosai
                              • Sep 2003

Good sign.

Comment

Working...
                              X