PDA

View Full Version : Cowher second on the Bills' list

BillsWin
11-19-2009, 12:14 AM
According to Vic Carucci.

I find that interesting.

Also, they are willing to fork over total control and Ralph is willing to pay as much as it takes to get a proven coach.

G Wolly
11-19-2009, 12:19 AM
Why did it have to take 10 years to make that decision?

SquishDaFish
11-19-2009, 03:23 AM
I want Cowher

ddaryl
11-19-2009, 07:06 AM

probably because the fans have finally snapped and have pretty much unanimously turned on Ralph. Plus I think Ralph is listening to Russ... and if Russ is behind this then I have respect for him

and tthis all started last year when they extended Dick

so in hindsight a Dick extension might have been the best thing to happen to this franchise

Jan Reimers
11-19-2009, 07:13 AM
Ralph is either a very slow learner, or the 10 year old moths in his wallet were moth-mouthing their pleas to see the light of day.

elltrain22
11-19-2009, 07:28 AM
All I have to say is.....

:pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray:
:pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray:

Mr. Miyagi
11-19-2009, 07:50 AM
1. Cowher
2. Shanny
3. Light myself on fire

k-oneputt
11-19-2009, 07:54 AM
I'll take either one but would go Cowher first.

Canadian'eh!
11-19-2009, 07:57 AM
I'd probably take Cowher over Shanny, but I think it's just a matter of time before Cowher gets the job in Carolina.

They won't make the playoffs this year, Fox will get canned, and that will be that.

HHURRICANE
11-19-2009, 07:58 AM
I would rate the coaches in this order for Buffalo:

1) Cowher
2) Shottenheimer
3) Shanahan

I could see Cowher and Shottenheimer doing alot more with less talent.

Shanahan had Elway. How good would Marv have been without Kelly?

Rivers and Ben are good QBs but not without liability. Plus Shottenheimer and Cowher seems to do a good job of shaping teams.

Ed
11-19-2009, 07:59 AM
Maybe Ralph doesn't think he'll be around much longer and this is a kind of last ditch put it all on the table effort.

This is awesome news though.

Long live Ralph!

Ed
11-19-2009, 08:00 AM
I would rate the coaches in this order for Buffalo:

1) Cowher
2) Shottenheimer
3) Shanahan

I could see Cowher and Shottenheimer doing alot more with less talent.

Shanahan had Elway. How good would Marv have been without Kelly?

Rivers and Ben are good QBs but not without liability. Plus Shottenheimer and Cowher seems to do a good job of shaping teams.
I thought it was reported yesterday that Shottenheimer has no interest in coaching again. Unless you mean his son...

Canadian'eh!
11-19-2009, 08:01 AM
Shanahan did a heck of a lot of good things even after Elway retired.

Shottenheimer had a lot of help in management, at least in SD. AJ Smith gave him a heck of a lot to work with, and Wade Phillips is a terrible HC, but is a top notch 3-4 DC.

The one great thing about Cowher is that Pittsburgh is known to have some cheap ownership when it comes to payers and contracts, so he's dealth with those limitations before and might be more prepared to make it work here.

Mad Bomber
11-19-2009, 08:01 AM
Unfortunately, ESPN also reported that the Bills are looking at Jim Haslett and Kevin Gillbride. :ill:

Canadian'eh!
11-19-2009, 08:02 AM
I thought it was reported yesterday that Shottenheimer has no interest in coaching again. Unless you mean his son...

Really?

Because as of last year I remember him talking about really wanting to work again, and politicing for a job somewhere.

psubills62
11-19-2009, 08:38 AM
I'll take either one but would go Cowher first.

Haha one of the first things I agree with you on.

Coach Sal
11-19-2009, 08:55 AM
I thought it was reported yesterday that Shottenheimer has no interest in coaching again...

I don't know who would report that because it's not true at all.

I've talked with many people who say he REALLY wants to coach again and has applied for recent openings....but hasn't landed any of them for whatever reason.

McBFLO
11-19-2009, 09:02 AM

I find that interesting.

Also, they are willing to fork over total control and Ralph is willing to pay as much as it takes to get a proven coach.
link?

psubills62
11-19-2009, 09:11 AM
link?

http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/11/19/shanahan-likely-to-meet-with-bills-officials-next-week/

Former Steelers coach Bill Cowher also is high on the Bills’ list of candidates, but at the moment, they are focused on Shanahan, who guided the Broncos to back-to-back Super Bowl championships in the late 1990s but was fired after last season.

There’s also strong speculation that the Redskins are pursuing Shanahan to replace Jim Zorn as their coach after the season. However, according to the source close to the Bills, Shanahan is intrigued by the “low-maintenance” situation he would have in Buffalo as opposed to Washington.

Vanilla Thunder
11-19-2009, 09:24 AM
please baby jesus, let it be cowher

elltrain22
11-19-2009, 09:28 AM
I'd probably take Cowher over Shanny, but I think it's just a matter of time before Cowher gets the job in Carolina.

They won't make the playoffs this year, Fox will get canned, and that will be that.

Fox, IMO, is not going anywhere. I live in Carolina, and the feeling I get is that they will probably part ways w/ Jake Delhomme, but not John Fox. I think the FO for the Panthers is still high on Fox and his staff, but I've been wrong plenty of times before.

Philagape
11-19-2009, 10:32 AM
The only reason I can fathom putting Shanny over Cowher is Shanny has a reputation as an offensive mind.
But Cowher just screams leader (literally!). And he seems way more suited for Buffalo than someone from the Walsh tree.
Cowher's a protege of Schottenheimer, btw

ZEUS
11-19-2009, 10:49 AM
This is great news! I had all but given up on this team. Especillay this year. I live in Florida and the weather is great, but I still sit in the house on Sunday watching the same old Bills. It was getting to be a waste of time. I was going to start using the boat again. I'd be happy with Cowher or Shanahan.

unpaid_bills
11-19-2009, 11:39 AM

Ralph thinks its till 1999. Better late than never. Lets just hope the puzzle fits together this time :nuk:

billsburgh
11-19-2009, 11:46 AM
I would be happy with either Cowher or Shanahan. Although I would give a slight edge to Shanny since he's more of an offensive minded coach.

Mudflap1
11-19-2009, 12:15 PM
Cowher has built his teams more off of the draft and developed them, as opposed to having a HOF quarterback and some good pieces already in place to start. That being said, either one is a monumental upgrade.

I'm a Cowher guy though. Let's bring in The Chin!

Nighthawk
11-19-2009, 12:18 PM

I've talked with many people who say he REALLY wants to coach again and has applied for recent openings....but hasn't landed any of them for whatever reason.

Sal, Channel 2 News contacted him yesterday by phone and he said he was done coaching and had no interest in being a GM. It was on the 6 o'clock news yesterday.

Nighthawk
11-19-2009, 12:19 PM
I want either one of these guys and my gut tells me that one of them will be in Buffalo next year.

BuffaloBlitz83
11-19-2009, 12:21 PM
I want either one of these guys and my gut tells me that one of them will be in Buffalo next year.

A Positive Nighthawk!

Nighthawk
11-19-2009, 12:35 PM
A Positive Nighthawk!

When things are done correctly, then I'm a pretty positive guy...but I'm not one to sugarcoat things. I'm excited right now...it's the first time I've been excited about this franchise in a long time. I just hope they don't let me down!

SABURZFAN
11-19-2009, 12:52 PM

I find that interesting.

:rofl:

if this were to happen, Cowher would be out of there the moment that The Old Fart starts to meddle. he has a history of doing that and Cowher wouldn't hesitate.

HAMMER
11-19-2009, 01:10 PM
I think Ralph will get sticker shock when the shnit hits the fan.

cpearl
11-19-2009, 01:28 PM
Low-maintenance, for sure!

jamze132
11-19-2009, 05:41 PM
I prefer Cowher over Shannahan but either way, you probably made a great decision.

Ed
11-19-2009, 07:17 PM

That's good to know. It was probably just a post I read with no real source. I thought someone said he was happily retired though.

Nighthawk
11-19-2009, 07:21 PM
That's good to know. It was probably just a post I read with no real source. I thought someone said he was happily retired though.

Uggh...ONE MORE TIME FOR THE SLOW PEOPLE!!! Channel 2 News spoke to Marty on the phone yesterday and he said he was done coaching and has no desire to be a GM...I saw it, as did many others, I'm sure. I hope that he changes his mind, but that is a fact about him not being interested in coaching right now.

Typ0
11-19-2009, 07:23 PM

It didn't take ten years to make that decision. He decided he was aging and couldn't do it any more right before he hire Donahoe...and he turned it over to who he though was "one of the best football minds in the game". But TD was a bumbling fool and put the screws to everything and made RW gunshy.

Turf
11-19-2009, 07:46 PM
The thought of Cowher spitting nails on the sidelines is a dream come true as a Bills fan at this point in time. He's my number one choice.