PDA

View Full Version : Hey Draft Experts, Was Brohm ...

BuffaloBlitz83
11-19-2009, 12:45 AM
A higher rated pro prospect than Edwards and Losman coming out? Also experts, which QB stylistically does Brohm remind you of, I know it has been a few years.

Seems like the arm strength is there with the kid, but he has to work on his consistency. From the video, he seems pretty mobile. Practicing in GB may have helped him as they run a nice offense. Not sure if he was on active roster tho.

A good move regardless. Low risk, high reward. Buffalo still has to draft a QB. If he pans out, super! If not, Oh well.

DraftBoy
11-19-2009, 01:36 AM
Here is what I wrote about him, he ws the #2 QB prospect in this class by my rankings;

2. Brian Brohm-Louisville 6’3, 227 lbs, 4.79-40

Pros:
-Size
-Arm Strength
-Mechanics
-Experience
-Accuracy, Timing, Touch

Cons:
-Injuries
-Limited Upside
-Athleticism
-Leadership

Analysis:
Brohm is the most NFL ready QB in this draft, as he can make all the throws and has very solid mechanics. He does not have an absolute cannon but he has more than enough arm strength to spare. Brohm has a few big concerns: he underwent knee surgery in 2005 for a torn ACL, thumb surgery in 2006 for torn thumb ligaments, and just over a year ago, shoulder surgery on his non-throwing shoulder. That is going to scare off some teams as he only played his first
full season this past year. Another big criticism of Brohm has been his lack of vocal leadership. He essentially does hisjob and goes home. He needs to become more of a leader in the huddle.

Stats:
2004 66-98, 67.3%, 819yds, 6TD, 2INT
2005 207-381, 54.3%, 2883yds, 19TD, 5INT
2006 199-313, 63.5%, 3049yds, 16TD, 5INT
2007 308-473, 65.1%, 4024 30TD, 12INT
TOTAL: 780-1265, 61.6%, 10,775yds, 71TD, 24INT

BuffaloBlitz83
11-19-2009, 01:43 AM
Here is what I wrote about him, he ws the #2 QB prospect in this class by my rankings;

2. Brian Brohm-Louisville 6’3, 227 lbs, 4.79-40

Pros:
-Size
-Arm Strength
-Mechanics
-Experience
-Accuracy, Timing, Touch

Cons:
-Injuries
-Limited Upside
-Athleticism
-Leadership

Analysis:
Brohm is the most NFL ready QB in this draft, as he can make all the throws and has very solid mechanics. He does not have an absolute cannon but he has more than enough arm strength to spare. Brohm has a few big concerns: he underwent knee surgery in 2005 for a torn ACL, thumb surgery in 2006 for torn thumb ligaments, and just over a year ago, shoulder surgery on his non-throwing shoulder. That is going to scare off some teams as he only played his first
full season this past year. Another big criticism of Brohm has been his lack of vocal leadership. He essentially does hisjob and goes home. He needs to become more of a leader in the huddle.

Stats:
2004 66-98, 67.3%, 819yds, 6TD, 2INT
2005 207-381, 54.3%, 2883yds, 19TD, 5INT
2006 199-313, 63.5%, 3049yds, 16TD, 5INT
2007 308-473, 65.1%, 4024 30TD, 12INT
TOTAL: 780-1265, 61.6%, 10,775yds, 71TD, 24INT

Was he rated as a higher prospect than JP and Trent?

Ingtar33
11-19-2009, 01:54 AM
A higher rated pro prospect than Edwards and Losman coming out? Also experts, which QB stylistically does Brohm remind you of, I know it has been a few years.

Seems like the arm strength is there with the kid, but he has to work on his consistency. From the video, he seems pretty mobile. Practicing in GB may have helped him as they run a nice offense. Not sure if he was on active roster tho.

A good move regardless. Low risk, high reward. Buffalo still has to draft a QB. If he pans out, super! If not, Oh well.

He reminded me of Jim Kelly. great mechanics amazing arm, solid mobility (not fast). Big strong kid.

I have no idea what happened to him in the pros... his fall from grace has been stunning to me... it started with some terrible workouts before the draft... and just kept snowballing. As to his rating.. had you asked me in 2008 i would have said he was the 2nd best prospect in that draft... behind only Ryan. Well that was before the combines anyway...

big miss by me. Don't know what happened there. His collapse in GB has been beyond puzzling to me. One of the rare times i was taken completely by surprise by a QBs inability to adjust to the NFL.

And yes.. i would have rated him FAR above both Trent and JP. FAR FAR FAR above them.

BuffaloBlitz83
11-19-2009, 02:19 AM
He reminded me of Jim Kelly. great mechanics amazing arm, solid mobility (not fast). Big strong kid.

I have no idea what happened to him in the pros... his fall from grace has been stunning to me... it started with some terrible workouts before the draft... and just kept snowballing. As to his rating.. had you asked me in 2008 i would have said he was the 2nd best prospect in that draft... behind only Ryan. Well that was before the combines anyway...

big miss by me. Don't know what happened there. His collapse in GB has been beyond puzzling to me. One of the rare times i was taken completely by surprise by a QBs inability to adjust to the NFL.

And yes.. i would have rated him FAR above both Trent and JP. FAR FAR FAR above them.

Could be a late bloomer and change of scenery may help. Maybe he was unmotivated knowing he had no shot to start due to Rogers being in picture. Very dumb but you never know, he pictured himself going to a better spot to start when he entered draft.

X-Era
11-19-2009, 06:00 AM

He was ranked higher than Trent, probably similar ranking to Losman (who should have gone in the 2nd probably).

I thought Brohm could be a 1st rounder on draft day. He was a guy I liked a lot.

Hes fairly mobile, has a good pocket feel, good arm strength, nice size, is able to find open guys and read defenses. Hes a proven winner, has decent ability to lead the team.

I agree with DB that he wasn't as much of a clear field general as you might like.

Put it this way, if he was in this years list of prospects, id have him up there with any of them. To me it would be Bradford or Brohm... yes above Locker and Clausen.

X-Era
11-19-2009, 06:07 AM
I think this does a nice job:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=he0BIKmoq0s&feature=related

And this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2v8H3oksM0

and:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFBQA8Y1i38&feature=related

X-Era
11-19-2009, 06:09 AM
Go to 2:16 in on this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTPFMpkMQyc

tampabay25690
11-19-2009, 06:36 AM
He was ahead of Trent but JP with his athleticism was a higher prospect.

MikeInRoch
11-19-2009, 07:06 AM

Do you think that moving to a new place could kick start him to getting back to where you'd think he should be?

The Spaz
11-19-2009, 07:13 AM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ta_ZmgaUbRE&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ta_ZmgaUbRE&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

DraftBoy
11-19-2009, 07:14 AM
Was he rated as a higher prospect than JP and Trent?

It's not even close...

Brohm was light years ahead of both players coming out.

DraftBoy
11-19-2009, 07:15 AM

Complete agreement, I dont understand why he has fallen so hard so fast. His interviews I heard seemed great, he has the ability, but something is not clicking for him.

We'll see what happens though. As of right now, I missed big time on this kid as well.

DraftBoy
11-19-2009, 07:16 AM
Do you think that moving to a new place could kick start him to getting back to where you'd think he should be?

One could only hope, Im not sure how much it will help out but it can't hurt any. He wasn't going to do anything in Green Bay.

Bmax
11-19-2009, 07:36 AM

I agree with you take on Brohm...He rminded me of Jimbo...I am really surprised that it hasn't worked out for him in Green Bay...He is a better prospect than any of the three we have at worst he is a 3rd string guy learning the system who should be given a chance to show what he has in the future.

Bmax

Patti120
11-19-2009, 07:40 AM
Thanks for the vids! loved the draft analysis too!

Night Train
11-19-2009, 07:56 AM
At worse, he provides some degree of depth on the roster and has a 2nd chance to develop.

Our current 3 QB's could be all banished after this season.

BuffaloRanger
11-19-2009, 08:21 AM
Seriously. The Packers FO has to be looking for a way to stick it to the Bills after we snaked two guys from their practice squad.

When was the last time any team had two guys signed off their PS in a single season? And by the same team!

psubills62
11-19-2009, 08:22 AM
Another big criticism of Brohm has been his lack of vocal leadership. He essentially does hisjob and goes home. He needs to become more of a leader in the huddle.

My only thought is that this facet of his personality was compounded by the fact that he was essentially drafted to be a backup. He was never going to be the starting QB (barring injury), and to top it off he was put in a competition with Matt Flynn.

Maybe any work ethic and leadership he had just disappeared, since he may have felt that he didn't have anything to work towards.

If that's true, I'd be pretty wary of him in Buffalo (how often does a Buffalo QB NOT end up on the bench eventually?). However, it seems apparent to me that if GB and Buffalo offered him deals and he chose us, then he wasn't a fan of the situation in GB.

Hopefully he'll respond differently here.

Dicknoze69
11-19-2009, 09:01 AM
I always assumed his fallout started his last year at Louisville when his defense was beyond terrible. This led to some bad decisions to make up for his defense and perhaps those carried over to the NFL. My guess would be the Packers wanted a safe, reliable QB as a backup rather than a QB who takes a decent amount of risks.

Either way, it's a low-risk, high-reward move and something I've been hoping we'd do for a while since Hamdan sucks and Brohm at least has potential. Whether he can get back to his junior-season performance is anyone's guess.

As for choosing Buffalo over Green Bay, anyone with a brain would pick the Bills since our QB position is completely in flux and he could start relatively soon.

justasportsfan
11-19-2009, 09:10 AM
I think this does a nice job:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=he0BIKmoq0s&feature=related

And this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2v8H3oksM0

and:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFBQA8Y1i38&feature=related

They say he has accuray problems ,inconsistent and waits for recievers to get open. Sounds like Trent.

Nothing more than a project.

The last buffalo fan
11-19-2009, 09:52 AM
They say he has accuray problems ,inconsistent and waits for recievers to get open. Sounds like Trent.

Nothing more than a project.

Good morning to you too, Sir! :ill:

justasportsfan
11-19-2009, 09:54 AM
Good morning to you too, Sir! :ill:
buenas dias

BillsWin
11-19-2009, 10:04 AM
They also said they wouldn't be surprised if he was the starting QB of the packers in a few years.

I'm not saying he'll start here, but it was a good late season theft of a player from PS.

Pinkerton Security
11-19-2009, 10:25 AM
Hes a real smart player who would have been the top QB taken and top 5 overall if he came out his junior year...i mean they say these things about him but has he had the chance to show his worth in an actual NFL game? I hope to give him a shot and see if he is the answer, if not lets move on and draft a QB.

justasportsfan
11-19-2009, 10:27 AM
Hes a real smart player who would have been the top QB taken and top 5 overall if he came out his junior year...i mean they say these things about him but has he had the chance to show his worth in an actual NFL game? I hope to give him a shot and see if he is the answer, if not lets move on and draft a QB.
thats the good thing about this signing. We can still draft a qb and it didn't cost us any picks to bring Brohm in.

The last buffalo fan
11-19-2009, 12:36 PM
The great deal here is, we still have to face ****riots, Vets, and Gayphins. Let's see what this guys has on that arm. :gobills:

Nighthawk
11-19-2009, 12:42 PM
Complete agreement, I dont understand why he has fallen so hard so fast. His interviews I heard seemed great, he has the ability, but something is not clicking for him.

We'll see what happens though. As of right now, I missed big time on this kid as well.

I truly think it could have been the unrealistic expectations that GB put on this kid. I feel they brought him in thinking he was the next Favre and would take that QB position right away from Rodgers...that didn't happen and he got buried on the depth chart. I'm going out on a limb here and I think this kid truly has the chance to be the QB this franchise has been looking for.

Nighthawk
11-19-2009, 12:43 PM
They also said they wouldn't be surprised if he was the starting QB of the packers in a few years.

I'm not saying he'll start here, but it was a good late season theft of a player from PS.

Should have been done earlier...

Mudflap1
11-19-2009, 12:45 PM
I really liked this guy coming out of college. At this point, you have to say that something is definitely wrong since he hasn't done anything the pros. That being said though, I remember Steve Young saying something like it takes about 30 games for someone to really grasp the West Coast offense, or 3 years of practice. Brohm hasn't had either, and maybe he is not a WCO-type of guy. Green Bay hasn't exactly been stellar the last two years, either. They have no offensive line, had a crappy defense last year, and, again, he was buried on the depth chart learning an offense that takes a couple of years to get down.

All in all, I wouldn't get too excited that he is our savior. However, I think it is a very low risk-type move for a guy that might have the untapped potential a lot of us thought he had a couple of years ago. And he will at least get a chance in practice/preseason, etc. for the team to see what he's got. The Bills have nothing to lose right now. Lastly, if a real coach/GM are brought in to Buffalo, those guys will put the building blocks in place for Brohm or any QB to have success (good offensive line, solid defense, good running game).

Mudflap1
11-19-2009, 12:47 PM
I truly think it could have been the unrealistic expectations that GB put on this kid. I feel they brought him in thinking he was the next Favre and would take that QB position right away from Rodgers...that didn't happen and he got buried on the depth chart. I'm going out on a limb here and I think this kid truly has the chance to be the QB this franchise has been looking for.

I disagree. I think when you break ties with a guy like Favre, you bring in as my QB's as you can, and let one rise to the top. The Packers already had Rodgers in the system for a couple of years, so they felt he had the clear edge. However, you bring in some other guys (Brohm, Flynn) in the event Rodgers doesn't have it, and hope one of the others guys might. Basically, Green Bay didn't want to put all of their eggs in Rodger's basket, but they did feel he was likely the answer.

Demon
11-19-2009, 01:03 PM
Not sure if this was talked about, but if Brohm had came out of college after his junior season, he would have been probably the top pick in the draft. What happened?

Also- i watched the draft day video..... wow, McShay is known as an idiot and in that video his expert opinion was Brohm in 2 years will be Green Bay's starter.... better then Aaron Rodgers. wow. LOL what a joke.

Mudflap1
11-19-2009, 01:10 PM
I'd be curious about what the Green Bay fans/message board think about Brohm.

jamze132
11-19-2009, 05:49 PM
I think Brohm's issues are all in his head. He came to GB knowing he wasn't going to be the starter and I think it went to his head. I am interested to see how he reacts to Buffalo now.

Caveat:

Wasn't he released earlier this season and no other team picked him up?

starrymessenger
11-19-2009, 08:04 PM
Thanks for the vids! loved the draft analysis too!

That was then and this is now. BB will never transition to the pro game. He is a bust.

starrymessenger
11-19-2009, 08:06 PM
His senior year happened.

DraftBoy
11-19-2009, 08:09 PM
His senior year happened.

His senior year where he went;
308 for 473, Completing 65.1%, throwing for 4024 yards, 30TDs, and only 12INTs?

I wish more players would have that happen then. Specifically somebody on Notre Dame.

starrymessenger
11-19-2009, 08:20 PM
A system quarterback with a popgun for an arm. Graham Harrell anyone?

DraftBoy
11-19-2009, 08:21 PM

Wow...ok you just keep thinking that.

starrymessenger
11-19-2009, 08:26 PM
Someday soon you will think that too.

Ingtar33
11-19-2009, 09:08 PM

you mean the two pro style systems he QBed? He put up numbers no other QBs at Louisville put up in those "systems"

good lord... well believe what you must. Nothing he's done in the pros discounts your opinion, that much is for sure. He might be a giant bust. I prefer to hope he'll be more then a waste of time, considering how horrible the QBs on our team are at the moment.

yordad
11-19-2009, 09:23 PM

Nothing more than a project.I think they were talking about Rogers when they said that.

Ground Chuck
11-19-2009, 09:26 PM
Sorry. A practice squad guy does not excite me.

bflojohn
11-19-2009, 09:30 PM
My best friend is a diehard Packers fan, and he believes that the Bills should bring Brian Brohm into the fold slowly, and let him assimilate into the overall scheme of things. I, on the other hand, think that the Bills are QB deficiant, and need to find out what they've got in this guy. The jury is in with Edwards and Fitzpatrick, and the time is now for Brohm to have Van Pelt find his proper "learning curve" and give the new "young gun" the chance to audition for the position.

starrymessenger
11-19-2009, 10:32 PM
you mean the two pro style systems he QBed? He put up numbers no other QBs at Louisville put up in those "systems"

good lord... well believe what you must. Nothing he's done in the pros discounts your opinion, that much is for sure. He might be a giant bust. I prefer to hope he'll be more then a waste of time, considering how horrible the QBs on our team are at the moment.

Sorry, did not realize that Bobby Petrino's offence was not a "system", as it has often been called. You can call it pro-style if you like but that is a generalization and a simplification. "Power Spread" is more like it, I think i.e. two thirds spread, one third power-1.

Now even if Petrino left Louisville, any college "system" is typically more confining than any respectible pro offence which can be attributed in part to the complexities of the defences at the nfl level. As a Bills fan you know what happens when your offensive schemes are too simple, like Pop Warner, if you follow my drift. The demands of a true i.e. actual pro offence are exponentially greater than anything required to run any college scheme, greater than anything college QBs ever experience beforehand. That is why so many outstanding college QB's- you might say most even of the best of them- fail, some miserably, at the next and last level.

I'm sorry to be so negative. I did take in three or four Cardinals games BB's senior year. I was not impressed with him. Clearly his stock declined considerably that year in the minds of pro scouts as well. He had a lousy combine (BTW I know his 40 time is not terrible- I mean the passing drills). Notice that a very shrewed organization like the Ravens moved up to take Joe Flacco from a little known programme at Delaware well in advance of where Green Bay took BB.

I can't blame fans for hoping. I think we may find he is a lot like Trent Edwards - only not as good. I would love to be wrong, I just honestly don't think so.

BuffaloBlitz83
11-19-2009, 10:35 PM
Who cares, low risk. If it doesn't work out, draft someone.

starrymessenger
11-19-2009, 10:38 PM
Who cares, low risk. If it doesn't work out, draft someone.

True. Ok.

yordad
11-19-2009, 10:43 PM
The best vid I found..

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/w4Dgl4CA5es&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344">"><object width="425" height="344">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/w4Dgl4CA5es&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></object> (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/%3Cobject%20width=%22425%22%20height=%22344%22%3E%3Cparam%20name=%22movie%22%20value=%22http://www.youtube.com/v/w4Dgl4CA5es&hl=en_US&fs=1&%22%3E%3C/param%3E%3Cparam%20name=%22allowFullScreen%22%20value=%22true%22%3E%3C/param%3E%3Cparam%20name=%22allowscriptaccess%22%20value=%22always%22%3E%3C/param%3E%3Cembed%20src=%22http://www.youtube.com/v/w4Dgl4CA5es&hl=en_US&fs=1&%22%20type=%22application/x-shockwave-flash%22%20allowscriptaccess=%22always%22%20allowfullscreen=%22true%22%20width=%22425%22%20height=%22344%22%3E%3C/embed%3E%3C/object%3E)

starrymessenger
11-19-2009, 10:47 PM
He is fantastic!

DraftBoy
11-19-2009, 10:50 PM
Sorry, did not realize that Bobby Petrino's offence was not a "system", as it has often been called. You can call it pro-style if you like but that is a generalization and a simplification. "Power Spread" is more like it, I think i.e. two thirds spread, one third power-1.

Now even if Petrino left Louisville, any college "system" is typically more confining than any respectible pro offence which can be attributed in part to the complexities of the defences at the nfl level. As a Bills fan you know what happens when your offensive schemes are too simple, like Pop Warner, if you follow my drift. The demands of a true i.e. actual pro offence are exponentially greater than anything required to run any college scheme, greater than anything college QBs ever experience beforehand. That is why so many outstanding college QB's- you might say most even of the best of them- fail, some miserably, at the next and last level.

I'm sorry to be so negative. I did take in three or four Cardinals games BB's senior year. I was not impressed with him. Clearly his stock declined considerably that year in the minds of pro scouts as well. He had a lousy combine (BTW I know his 40 time is not terrible- I mean the passing drills). Notice that a very shrewed organization like the Ravens moved up to take Joe Flacco from a little known programme at Delaware well in advance of where Green Bay took BB.

I can't blame fans for hoping. I think we may find he is a lot like Trent Edwards - only not as good. I would love to be wrong, I just honestly don't think so.

His stock didnt decline considerably his senior year. He was never considered the top QB prospect ahead of Ryan and Flacco passing him was based on Flacco's physical attributes more so than him outpreforming Brohm or Brohm playing in a "system",

Delaware is far from a little known program also. They are very well known in the FCS. They have 6 National Titles and are one of the few programs to avg over 20,000 fans a home game. Many players who leaves the FBS will transfer to Delaware (like Joe Flacco, and Pat Devlin).

starrymessenger
11-19-2009, 11:04 PM
His stock didnt decline considerably his senior year. He was never considered the top QB prospect ahead of Ryan and Flacco passing him was based on Flacco's physical attributes more so than him outpreforming Brohm or Brohm playing in a "system",

Delaware is far from a little known program also. They are very well known in the FCS. They have 6 National Titles and are one of the few programs to avg over 20,000 fans a home game. Many players who leaves the FBS will transfer to Delaware (like Joe Flacco, and Pat Devlin).

Sorry but I thought he was regarded as an early first rounder had he entered the nfl draft after his junior year. At least that has been said many times by many observers. Some people even projected first over all, heaven forbid, sort of like Jamarcus I guess.
But you are also quite correct - Flacco passed him based on his patently superior physical attributes, and of course the fact that Ozzie knows how to pick 'em i.e. Ngata, Oher etc...

DraftBoy
11-20-2009, 06:46 AM
Sorry but I thought he was regarded as an early first rounder had he entered the nfl draft after his junior year. At least that has been said many times by many observers. Some people even projected first over all, heaven forbid, sort of like Jamarcus I guess.
But you are also quite correct - Flacco passed him based on his patently superior physical attributes, and of course the fact that Ozzie knows how to pick 'em i.e. Ngata, Oher etc...

Not really, he has a mid 1st round grade, and fell a little because he had some bad workouts, but his senior year performance did nothing to hurt his stock, as you seem to point to. He was never considered above Ryan to my knowledge.

starrymessenger
11-20-2009, 08:59 AM
Not really, he has a mid 1st round grade, and fell a little because he had some bad workouts, but his senior year performance did nothing to hurt his stock, as you seem to point to. He was never considered above Ryan to my knowledge.

To their credit, many, though by no means all, observers saw Matt Ryan as in a class by himself.

As a junior potentially entering the draft Sporting News had Brohm rated the potential #1 pick overall. Many others had him as an early first rounder. Nobody that I am aware of projected him to the second round.

The next year he went deep in the second (52nd).

I hope he works out, but lets not get carried away.

Novacane
11-20-2009, 09:13 AM
Look what we have. He's worth a shot. It cost the Bills nothing. I hope he get's a couple starts at the end of the year after he's learned the playbook.

Michael82
11-20-2009, 12:56 PM
I like what I see in those vids, yordad. He's throwing bombs and even the intermediate! Gets the ball out pretty fast too. :up: