PDA

View Full Version : Scary Quote from GW

Kicker22705
05-30-2003, 09:44 AM
http://www.empiresports.com/billsreport.shtml

Williams: “There really isn’t any changes. What we’re doing is exactly the same offense we did last year. The same terminology. In fact, today(Tuesday) offensively, we talked about introducing for the third time this spring, the same thing that we were doing last year. There’s no new plays. We’re going through things that we did last year, in putting an absolute percentage and effectiveness and an efficiency number on every play. And how do we improve the play that we did last year. We’ll game plan each opponent differently and we’ll run certain packages more against certain opponents. But it’s really the same offense – there’s no changes.”

I don't know about you guys but this quote kinda worries me that GW and KG plan on relying on last year success for this year. A lot of the plays were sucessful during the first 8 games due to its unfamiliarity to the opposing teams, but once the opposing teams had film to study they shut us down relatively well compared to the first 8 games. I hope KG has more aces in his sleeves for this season to give opposing defenses fits that he gave them in the first 8 games of 2002.

clumping platelets
05-30-2003, 09:45 AM
Could be a smoke screen :huh:

Pride
05-30-2003, 09:52 AM
If this is true, it is a perfect example of why I hate GW.

Turf
05-30-2003, 09:53 AM
I think learning how to execute a screen play would be a big plus. When you see how well NE does it, and how poorly we did, it really doesn't matter what the play calling is.
There are only so many plays you can run anyways. They have to be able to execute them magnificently then the playcalling becomes the important issue.

Ebenezer
05-30-2003, 09:59 AM
No, the scary quote they played on the radio was:

"Alot of the players look good in underware."

TedMock
05-30-2003, 10:35 AM
I don't think the playbook is/was the problem. PLAY SELECTION was the problem. They can have a similar playbook but need to execute the running plays more often and pick & choose the passing plays.

WG
05-30-2003, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by clumping platelets
Could be a smoke screen :huh:

Yeah, I suppose that there's that hope. But do you honestly feel that's what's going on? I'm thinking he probably made the statement to ease everyone's mind about anxieties over this season.

I can tell you this, if nothing truly changes and Henry (or another RB) doesn't get the nod at least 40-45% of the time, then we'll see 8-8 again. If that happens, and if Drew and Gilbride are still on the team next season, I won't renew my seasons. I'm tired of paying for hype, big plays, yardage stats, "fannies in the seats"/Bills marketing, and other nonsense. I wanna see some results! Some of you may be happy just to see Drew pass for 4,500 yards and 20 TDs while our top 2 WRs get over 1,000 yards, but my full expectation this season is that we will be 10-6 on a bad year! 9-7 or less, barring multiple injuries to some very key players, I will consider to have been a drastic failure!

What's wrong w/ our O last year doesn't take a GM or HC to see and figure out! It's as plain as the steering wheel in your car! This is exactly why I hate Gilbride as our O.C. and why putting him in charge of QB coach too was stupid.

If we pass as much as we do again this year, it'll keep N.E. in both games, we'll lose to Miami if they're full strength, twice, we'll get dusted by both Tennessee and Philly, and may even lose to the Jets once or twice and be either 2-4 again or perhaps 3-3 if we're lucky in the division.

NOT good news at all! Not to mention, if we really don't change anything, I agree, the coaching needs a house-cleaning! Starting w/ the offensive side and KG! GW can take a walk too. The only thing is that that will set us back too.

And as well, if Drew only puts up his last 10/11 game pace of 1 TD/game, we're gonna start hearing some boos after we start off 1-3. N.E., Miami in Miami, and Philly are not good teams to start passing the ball against as 3 of our first 4 opponents. In fact, if Jax did have a defensive strength last season, it was v. the pass, not the run where they were ranked 15th or so.

Very disappointing and disturbing quotes!

Novacane
05-30-2003, 11:54 AM
please tell us how you really feel Wys

WG
05-30-2003, 12:05 PM
You know I always do...

:biggrin:

cordog
05-30-2003, 12:26 PM
This quote is proof to me that GW is turning into a real HC. What he said is a TOTAL smokescreen. He's learned since his first year not to come out and say "Travis is our main man this year, we're gonna be running down everyones throats and then some more". I agree with you all that the execution is the most important part of any play. If you can execute a play to perfection there is not much a defense can do no matter how they play it, but GW has learned not to show his hand as a Head Coach.

Doc
05-30-2003, 12:47 PM
Moulds came out and said that he'll be playing in the slot and going in motion. Now unless he's lying (doubtful and it was on a local show that few opponents would see, if any), GW is lying big time.

WG
05-30-2003, 12:54 PM
Well,let's hope so....

Doc
05-30-2003, 12:57 PM
Without Moulds saying what he did, I'd be worried. Frankly I've been waiting since that Miami playoff game in 1998 (where they used Moulds in the slot and he burned Miami for 200+ yards) for the Bills to put him back there. If you look at the numbers, Henry ran better and Bledsoe passed better from the spread offense.

Romes
05-30-2003, 01:08 PM
Is it just me that realizes that the only thing GW is saying here is that the offense will have the same terminoligy with the same packages and plays. He makes no comment about how much we will run or pass. We can have the same offense as last year but run the ball more.

Should we instead change the wording of our offense, develop brand new plays, and use different packages? Would that make people happier?

Kicker22705
05-30-2003, 01:18 PM
I agree execution is key, but no one can argue the success KG had with his offense when no one had film to study on our O. In the begginning of the season teams either played back or went blitz crazy with little success. Once Belicheck exposed us with his unorthadox blitz packages and cover 2, we were a pretty vulnerable offense. Not to mension many analyse said, defenses were much better at predicting our limited amount of plays on offense we had after the first 8 games. Executation is great, but when other teams can predict the offense it loses effectiveness. I just hope he's more creative and has more bags of tricks and didn't use it all last year.

BillsOwnAll
05-30-2003, 01:31 PM
last year we didnt use henry enough thats why we lost games.

The Natrix
05-30-2003, 02:19 PM
The defense was so bad last season (especially the first 13 games) that I think some of the criticism spilled over to the offense unfairly.

Henry had 1400 yards and played in the probowl. I'm not sure that saying this team didn't run the ball enough is all that accurate. less than 50 percent of the defensive front seven were legimate pro starters, therefore the offense was often playing catch-up ie. the Raiders game. Thats why Peerless and his big play ability was such an asset LAST year.

If The talent on this defense is fully utilized, the offensive flow will fall into place.

This GW quote is nothing to be worried about.

The Natrix
05-30-2003, 02:27 PM
also, a "ball control" offense doesn't neccessarily need to be ground oriented. Short, complete passes work just as well. I look for the sure handed E-Moulds and Josh Reed to successfully run a lot of short crossing routes to take pressure off of Henry while still letting the clock tick down.

Halbert
05-30-2003, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by Romes
Is it just me that realizes that the only thing GW is saying here is that the offense will have the same terminoligy with the same packages and plays. He makes no comment about how much we will run or pass. We can have the same offense as last year but run the ball more.
Thank you.

Nighthawk
05-30-2003, 08:11 PM
Ummm, what do you want him to say? He's not going to come out and tell everybody what the Bills are working on for this year! Sometimes I think people look into things waaayyyyy too much...relax!