PDA

View Full Version : Wilson Says Big Changes in store

The King
11-19-2009, 09:37 AM
from the AP,

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. (AP)—Buffalo Bills (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/teams/buf/;_ylt=Apsmj3CIeMkT6v79kyUXuwsdsLYF) owner Ralph Wilson tells The Associated Press he’s prepared to revamp his entire football operation after the season.
Wilson said Thursday he’ll make a full review and stresses there’s a “lot of work to do.” Wilson adds there could be changes at any position and it’s possible he’ll bring in a general manager with a football background or make a lucrative offer to land a high-profile coach.

Wilson spoke by phone from his home in suburban Detroit two days after firing coach Dick Jauron and replacing him with defensive coordinator Perry Fewell for the rest of the season.
The Bills are 3-6 and in jeopardy of missing the playoffs for a 10th straight year.

elltrain22
11-19-2009, 09:38 AM
I am soooooo liking what I'm hearing lately from Ralph, and unlike other years, I really feel like these are NOT just empty promises. This offseason can't get hear soon enough!!

psubills62
11-19-2009, 09:40 AM
I might be making this up, but isn't Parcells' contract with Miami up after this year? I'm pretty sure Parcells + big name coach would be too much to hope for. Actually, Parcells alone is probably too much to hope for.

Jaybird
11-19-2009, 09:43 AM
Changes??? really this team needs changes?!?

Beastie Bills
11-19-2009, 09:45 AM
I am soooooo liking what I'm hearing lately from Ralph, and unlike other years, I really feel like these are NOT just empty promises. This offseason can't get hear soon enough!!

I'm cautiously optimistic. When I heard about Shanahan, I was pumped. But now, hearing the Cowher rumor, and this latest quote from Ralph, I find myself becoming skeptical of this whole thing.

I feel like they're just setting the bar high to drum up interest, and get the fans into it again, but they're just gonna bring in another loser and let us down.

Vanilla Thunder
11-19-2009, 09:49 AM
i dont' understand the love for parcells. has he won anything since he was with the giants?

DMBcrew36
11-19-2009, 09:50 AM
"Anybody that says I’m cheap is looking down the wrong side of the street," Wilson said.

Michael82
11-19-2009, 09:50 AM
Wow! This kind of stuff just excites me more and more. It seems like Ralph realizes that this is his last chance and wants to go out with a bang. Either that, or maybe there's something that people haven't talked about.... maybe he's already working behind the scenes on selling part of the team or all the team next year and knows that he will have the cash to do this move now. :idunno:

DMBcrew36
11-19-2009, 09:52 AM
“It’s not about money, it’s about winning,” Wilson said by phone from his home in suburban Detroit.

raphael120
11-19-2009, 09:53 AM
I'll believe it when I see it. That's just where I'm at from being burned time and time again with this team.

It takes two to tango, and just because the Bills want Shanahan doesn't mean that Shanahan is going to sign, same with Cowher.

ServoBillieves
11-19-2009, 09:53 AM
Ralph finally realizes that after who knows how long in the National Football League he's on his last leg of life and wants that ring to be buried with. If he can keep that ticker going for one more year with Shanny or the Chin as coach and a healthy corp of players he'll see that AFC playoff picture clearly again.

Never thought I'd say this, but HANG IN THERE RALPH!

BuffaloRanger
11-19-2009, 09:54 AM
Parcells can rebuild teams fast. But I hate his Giants, Cowboys, Fins, Jets, Pats stank. Look at that list.

If not for a missed FG he'd be that coach that once won a SB back in 1986.

BuffaloRanger
11-19-2009, 09:55 AM
Did Ralph get visited by the ghosts of Superbowls Past, Present, and Future over the weekend?

The last buffalo fan
11-19-2009, 09:56 AM
we might buy the Colts soon, who knows.

SABURZFAN
11-19-2009, 09:57 AM

selling the team is one change that needs to be done.

Vanilla Thunder
Parcells can rebuild teams fast. But I hate his Giants, Cowboys, Fins, Jets, Pats stank. Look at that list.

If not for a missed FG he'd be that coach that once won a SB back in 1986.

did his cowboys, jets, fins, pats win any championships? ne was the only team that he got there and they got spanked. the rest of the list didnt do squat, and if i recall they either didnt' get to the playoffs or lost quickly when they got there

BuffaloRanger
With his new found attitude he better live a few more years. I'd hate to see him build a SB contending team then have it m...I won't type it.

Why couldn't he have come to this conclusion 10 years ago!!

Mr. Pink
11-19-2009, 09:59 AM
With his new found attitude he better live a few more years. I'd hate to see him build a SB contending team then have it m...I won't type it.

Why couldn't he have come to this conclusion 10 years ago!!

He tried this approach back then when he hired Donahoe and handed over everything to him.

Just didn't work.

SABURZFAN
11-19-2009, 10:00 AM
I'll believe it when I see it. That's just where I'm at from being burned time and time again with this team.

BINGO!!!!!!!!!!

The Old Fart blew smoke up our asses way too many times. what he says and what he does are two different things. the thing that won't change is that he'll keep meddling.

Mr. Pink
11-19-2009, 10:01 AM
BINGO!!!!!!!!!!

The Old Fart blew smoke up our asses way too many times. what he says and what he does are two different things. the thing that won't change is that he'll keep meddling.

He's done it before, I believe he will again.

Hopefully the right guys are picked this time.

BuffaloRanger
11-19-2009, 10:01 AM
did his cowboys, jets, fins, pats win any championships? ne was the only team that he got there and they got spanked. the rest of the list didnt do squat, and if i recall they either didnt' get to the playoffs or lost quickly when they got there

Listen I hate him even more then the next guy. And I am not going to look up his coaching stats because, well, I hate him.

But he did quickly build the Jets and Pats from nothing into playoff teams. He took a 1-15 fins and turned them into a AFC East champ.

I hate him. I don't want him. But I do understand some fans fascination with his rebuilding success.

SABURZFAN
11-19-2009, 10:03 AM
He's done it before, I believe he will again.

Hopefully the right guys are picked this time.

don't hold your breath.

BuffaloRanger
11-19-2009, 10:04 AM
He tried this approach back then when he hired Donahoe and handed over everything to him.

Just didn't work.

Yes he handed over the team to Donohoe. But thisseems more thenthat.

If he is really saying 'Winning is all that matters." (Not sure if that's true) Then that is most definitely a huge shift in his attitude of the last 50 years.

EDS
11-19-2009, 10:10 AM
Well, we will see if Ralph follows through on his statements, but at least it is a small glimmer of hope in what has otherwise been a dark period for the Bills.

Mr. Pink
11-19-2009, 10:11 AM

If he is really saying 'Winning is all that matters." (Not sure if that's true) Then that is most definitely a huge shift in his attitude of the last 50 years.

He did do the "winning is all that matters," logo before.

Butler getting the team in salary cap jail.

SABURZFAN
11-19-2009, 10:35 AM
He did do the "winning is all that matters," logo before.

Butler getting the team in salary cap jail.

i think the salary cap jail was as much as The Old Fart's fault as it was Butler's.

trapezeus
11-19-2009, 10:37 AM

i'm assuming this was to be read with the Jim Mora "playoffs" tone?

mchurchfie
11-19-2009, 10:40 AM
My dream season won't be complete until Modrak and Guy are out the door also.

SABURZFAN
11-19-2009, 10:42 AM
My dream season won't be complete until Modrak and Guy are out the door also.

i agree. and it wouldn't hurt my feelings if Brandon left with them either.

bigbub2352
11-19-2009, 10:42 AM
God i hope this is true, then i could be happy every day

Lone Stranger
11-19-2009, 10:49 AM
It took Ralph 50 years to figure this out?

Mr. Pink
11-19-2009, 10:49 AM
i think the salary cap jail was as much as The Old Fart's fault as it was Butler's.

It may have been however it was putting commitment to winning above profit margin.

BuffaloRanger
11-19-2009, 10:57 AM
“It’s not about money, it’s about winning,” Wilson said by phone from his home in suburban Detroit.

“Anybody that says I’m cheap is looking down the wrong side of the street,” Wilson said.

Wow, I thought DB Crew was just making the above quotes up.

Like the annoying "My friend said he just saw John Gruden in Mighty Taco!" posts on some threads. But he actually said this. I am amazed.

trapezeus
11-19-2009, 10:59 AM
maybe fans were sending in their net worths versus what they pay on the bills and showed that they outspend ralph on a percentage basis yeawr in, yearout.

So maybe he feels responsible to just put wins out and match the percentage of the fans' expenditures.

superbills
11-19-2009, 11:10 AM
Did someone finally give Ralph some magic sanity pills? Or is this a Weekend At Bernies thing going on? You know, where Ralph's actually dead and they get someone who can mimic his voice on the phone and hook his body up to puppet strings for live appearances...Whatever the case I like what I hear!

SABURZFAN
11-19-2009, 11:14 AM
It may have been however it was putting commitment to winning above profit margin.

yeah.... he overpaid veterans on the downside of their careers. when it didn't work out, he pointed the finger at Butler when it came to blaming somebody.

SABURZFAN
11-19-2009, 11:16 AM

“Anybody that says I’m cheap is looking down the wrong side of the street,” Wilson said.

:lmao:

keep pissing in our ears and telling us that it's raining.

:rofl:

Throne Logic
11-19-2009, 11:17 AM

The mistake with Donohoe was that Ralph gave him control over the entire organization. Tom chose to focus his efforts on the business side. And rightfully so. TD did a masterful job of fixing the horrific CAP situation the Bills were in. However, TD became caught up in the business side and was unable to refocus his priorities on the football side once the business end was fixed.

This time around, Jim O. will most likely be one of the folks sticking around to manage the business operations. He appears to have done well here.

The current issue is the Football Operations side of the organization. The new hire will be hired to fix Football Operations and be able to focus on that alone. Fix the scouting department, the coaching staff, and work with the new coaches to meld football philosophy with the player roster.

Iehoshua
11-19-2009, 11:18 AM
:lmao:

keep pissing in our ears and telling us that it's raining.

:rofl: Yeah as its said, put the $$$ where the mouth is...

JD
11-19-2009, 11:18 AM
Did someone finally give Ralph some magic sanity pills? Or is this a Weekend At Bernies thing going on? You know, where Ralph's actually dead and they get someone who can mimic his voice on the phone and hook his body up to puppet strings for live appearances...Whatever the case I like what I hear!

I think you may be on to something... pay attention to the 1:10 - 1:20 mark.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Vm8DVzORIFs&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Vm8DVzORIFs&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Tbuffalobills
11-19-2009, 11:21 AM
I hope his "Change" aren't moving the team to LA! They are building a New Stadium- Someone is moving there!

SABURZFAN
11-19-2009, 11:23 AM
I hope his "Change" aren't moving the team to LA! They are building a New Stadium- Someone is moving there!

i doubt it. it's a ploy to get season ticket holders excited and sucker them into buying tickets for next year.

sdbillsfan2
11-19-2009, 11:27 AM
Right or wrong , two things to consider this time around when it comes to Ralph is this. I think the Hall of Fame effected him. Maybe he realizes he could have done more to win and actual deserves the honor he's gotten . So now he has to act like a winner. And as one of the older members of this board, the word legacy comes in. Ralph needs/wants to leave this earth as a winner. Nobody wants to take the ol dirt nap as a loser.

All in all , I think Guys like Kelly, Thurm etc, getting into his ear , plus the fans ,have really gotten to him this time. Ralph did what Ralphs hates to do this week. He lost money by Firing Dick ! He and the team are out 7 mil.
This has to account for something. I've never been a big RW fan, so don't go there. But I'm willing to see how this plays out.
The first step of restoring the pride of the Bills has been taken! Thanks Ralph !

paladin warrior
11-19-2009, 11:28 AM
"Anybody that says I’m cheap is looking down the wrong side of the street," Wilson said.Yeah He is f##K it cheap :funny:

SABURZFAN
11-19-2009, 11:30 AM
Ralph did what Ralphs hates to do this week. He lost money by Firing Dick ! He and the team are out 7 mil.

if we're lucky, writing that check to Jauron will kill him.

billsburgh
11-19-2009, 11:34 AM
blah blah blah, talk is cheap. I'll contain my enthusiasm until he backs this up with actually bringing in a big name GM and coach.

HHURRICANE
11-19-2009, 11:55 AM
i dont' understand the love for parcells. has he won anything since he was with the giants?

Your kidding right?

The guy wins wherever he goes.

Mudflap1
01-08-2010, 07:24 PM
from the AP,

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. (AP)—Buffalo Bills (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/teams/buf/;_ylt=Apsmj3CIeMkT6v79kyUXuwsdsLYF) owner Ralph Wilson tells The Associated Press he’s prepared to revamp his entire football operation after the season.
Wilson said Thursday he’ll make a full review and stresses there’s a “lot of work to do.” Wilson adds there could be changes at any position and it’s possible he’ll bring in a general manager with a football background or make a lucrative offer to land a high-profile coach.

Wilson spoke by phone from his home in suburban Detroit two days after firing coach Dick Jauron and replacing him with defensive coordinator Perry Fewell for the rest of the season.
The Bills are 3-6 and in jeopardy of missing the playoffs for a 10th straight year.

Hey Mr. Wilson,

What gives?

TrEd FTW
01-08-2010, 07:28 PM
Hey Mr. Wilson,

What gives?

He's done both, has he not?

Mudflap1
01-08-2010, 07:29 PM
He's done both, has he not?

He said in his AP interview today that he doesn't want to go after a coach with a big splashy name. That's pretty clear cut.

THE END OF ALL DAYS
01-08-2010, 07:48 PM
He said in his AP interview today that he doesn't want to go after a coach with a big splashy name. That's pretty clear cut.

where the heck did he say that?

Mudflap1
01-08-2010, 07:50 PM
where the heck did he say that?

Read this:

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wiresto...9516998&page=1 (http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wirestory?id=9516998&page=1)

Bills owner Ralph Wilson confirmed the team has spoken to Bill Cowher about the team's coaching vacancy. Wilson isn't sure whether the former Steelers coach is interested in the job.

"I don't know," Wilson told The Associated Press during a brief interview from his home in suburban Detroit on Friday. "You'd have to ask him."

Though Cowher has been widely speculated as being a candidate for the Bills job, Wilson was the first person to publicly say the Bills have spoken to him. Cowher, who works as an NFL analyst for CBS, has declined to discuss his future.

Wilson stressed that he could not go into much detail about the team's coaching search, but did say it was ongoing as the Bills attempt to fill the job left open after Dick Jauron was fired in November.

Declining to place a timetable on the search, Wilson said "we don't want to rush into hiring a coach just to be hiring somebody quick." He then added: "We don't want to hire a coach with a splashy name."

The Bills are one of two teams looking for a new coach after the Seattle Seahawks fired Jim Mora on Friday.

Wilson said the team has no preference in hiring someone with a defensive or offensive background.

"We want to hire a coach who wants to come to Buffalo and be a part of the community, you know what I mean?" Wilson said. "We're looking for a guy with a lot of passion."

Cowher has been regarded as a fan-favorite candidate. A group of fans have raised $1,125 to rent a billboard in Buffalo, set to go up on Monday, urging Wilson to hire Cowher.

The Bills have interviewed at least two other candidates. Vikings defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier was interviewed in Minnesota on Thursday. Perry Fewell, who succeeded Jauron as the Bills interim coach, was interviewed on Monday.

The search is being led by chief executive officer Russ Brandon and new general manager Buddy Nix.

The Bills might have to put their search on hold until after this weekend's conference wild-card playoff games are over. Under NFL rules, coaches on the eight teams playing this weekend cannot be interviewed for jobs until next week regardless of whether their teams win or lose.

BoyILuvLoznStupidly
01-08-2010, 07:54 PM
I'm glad you bumped this, thanks

Mudflap1
01-08-2010, 07:56 PM
I'm glad you bumped this, thanks

Ralph Wilson needs to be held accountable.

Turf
01-08-2010, 08:08 PM
Why would Wilson say we don't want to hire a coach with a splashy name when he goes after Gruden, Shanahan, and Cowher? He makes no sense.

BoyILuvLoznStupidly
01-08-2010, 08:17 PM

I agree, to me he is singing a different tune now. After the GM hire and the whole FO intact. He also said in another interview "anyone that thinks I'm cheap is on the wrong side of the street"

BillsWin
01-08-2010, 08:30 PM
Lets wait a few. We havent, not hired a big name yet. Lets think of it that way. And I can tell you with 100% certainty that the Bills have made a big time push for Cowher...

Lets just wait a few...

TrEd FTW
01-08-2010, 08:54 PM
I put no stock in anything Wilson said today.

Mudflap1
01-08-2010, 09:04 PM

You may be correct, and initially I had the same conclusion before I saw the additional quotes. However, as fans we need to keep his feet to the fire.

Mudflap1
01-08-2010, 09:04 PM

You may be correct, and initially I had the same conclusion before I saw the additional quotes. However, as fans we need to keep his feet to the fire.

PLEASE DELETE THE DUPLICATE

elltrain22
01-08-2010, 09:05 PM
Here's a theory, that I really think is very, very factual. Ralph, is 91 years old, but he is a very smart, and prudent 91-year old man. He knows exactly what he is saying, why he's saying it. We don't know why b/c we are owners of a team, but I think he's elusive for a reason. He's careful, and pays attention to what he says, and how it could be interpreted or misinterpreted.

IMO, I think he's had plenty of dialogue w/ Cowher. I believe he's made an offer, I believe Cowher is very interested, but not 100% sure, and I believe that this FO has made a hellbent effort at getting Cowher as there next HC. What I think the sticking point could be is Cowher's family, and whether or not they want to relocate to Buffalo.

This is just my theory. My 2 cents is probably not worth much.

BillsWin
01-08-2010, 09:40 PM
Here's a theory, that I really think is very, very factual. Ralph, is 91 years old, but he is a very smart, and prudent 91-year old man. He knows exactly what he is saying, why he's saying it. We don't know why b/c we are owners of a team, but I think he's elusive for a reason. He's careful, and pays attention to what he says, and how it could be interpreted or misinterpreted.

IMO, I think he's had plenty of dialogue w/ Cowher. I believe he's made an offer, I believe Cowher is very interested, but not 100% sure, and I believe that this FO has made a hellbent effort at getting Cowher as there next HC. What I think the sticking point could be is Cowher's family, and whether or not they want to relocate to Buffalo.

You're thinking is on the right track my friend.

Typ0
01-09-2010, 02:17 AM
I think he just meant the objective is to get the right guy not make a big splash with a hire...you know big marquee lights up at OBD and a spotlight that says "our big name coach is here" this week. That's not the objective.

TerrellOwensSharpie8
01-09-2010, 03:16 AM

I think this is certainly the case here....also note that Cowher stopped coaching to be with his 3 girls while they were in high school. They are now in college so he really only has to convince the Mrs.

SABURZFAN
01-09-2010, 10:48 AM

:roflmao:

he's just counting those $100 bills and laughing at people who bought tickets.

Historian
01-09-2010, 11:05 AM
The only thing that ever changes at 1BD is Ralph's diapers....

Mudflap1
01-14-2010, 04:33 PM
Bump.

WTF Ralph? Is this like last year when you sweet talked the fans right after the season by saying you were keeping Jauron because you just signed him to an extension like an idiot and said the offense was unacceptable and you were going to go all out to beef up the offense, and you signed a 35 year old T.O., then got rid of any offensive lineman that was making any money? Like that Ralph?

Novacane
01-14-2010, 04:34 PM
Bump.

WTF Ralph? Is this like last year when you sweet talked the fans right after the season by saying you were keeping Jauron because you just signed him to an extension like an idiot and said the offense was unacceptable and you were going to go all out to beef up the offense, and you signed a 35 year old T.O., then got rid of any offensive lineman that was making any money? Like that Ralph?

Change the billboard.

Ralph Wilson, you are a LIAR!

Night Train
01-14-2010, 06:59 PM
Change the billboard.

Ralph Wilson, How Many Fingers ? :censored:

Fixed

He better not settle for Frazier.

plundar
01-14-2010, 07:01 PM
F(*& Ralph. I have become completely disenfranchised by his BS. I love this team and I hate to see it and the fans put though all this.:cry:

SABURZFAN
01-14-2010, 07:07 PM

:roflmao:

these words just ****ing make me laugh.

paladin warrior
01-14-2010, 07:22 PM
Sound Good idea. Pls Ralph Dont forget to add new Hooster store or Nude bar:drool2: inside the Buffalo Bills Stadium. Ralph would like it and he will go in Nude bar without his wife. If She dont know where Ralph going.

Mudflap1
01-18-2010, 10:38 PM
The moment we've been waiting for......

Russ Brandon -- promoted to CEO!
Buddy Nix -- 70 year old in house scout promoted to first time GM!
Chan Gailey -- another retread head coach!

This is absolutely disgusting. Guys, please do not spend any more money on this organization at this point. We're all better off. They are just dancing on our faces right now.

Billz_fan
01-18-2010, 11:12 PM
LMAO Yep Ralph came through eh boys ?

Oh man Im sure he has no idea he ever said any of that stuff. He was probably in the middle of a 1980's flashback when he made those quotes :laughter:

BertSquirtgum
01-19-2010, 01:38 AM
BIG CHANGES. oh man, let me tell ya. ralph is a god damn liar.

BertSquirtgum
01-19-2010, 01:40 AM
The moment we've been waiting for......

Russ Brandon -- promoted to CEO!
Buddy Nix -- 70 year old in house scout promoted to first time GM!
Chan Gailey -- another retread head coach!

This is absolutely disgusting. Guys, please do not spend any more money on this organization at this point. We're all better off. They are just dancing on our faces right now.

i don't plan on spending a penny on the bills. except contributing to this site. which i don't think counts towards supporting ralph wilson.

don137
01-19-2010, 07:44 AM
So much for the promises. It's like someone going out and promising his girlfriend nice jewelry for her birthday. Looking at the diamonds but ending up buying a cubic zirconia.

elltrain22
01-19-2010, 08:05 AM
:monkeyp: Ralph Wilson

SABURZFAN
01-19-2010, 08:14 AM
c'mon guys.... we're "looking down the wrong side of the street."

trapezeus
01-19-2010, 08:50 AM
So much for the promises. It's like someone going out and promising his girlfriend nice jewelry for her birthday. Looking at the diamonds but ending up buying a cubic zirconia.

not really, because a CZ would actually pass as a diamond by most people. The bills are offering an asphalt ring. Somethign that looks nothing like a diamond and is totally worthless.

Mudflap1
01-19-2010, 10:34 AM
Ralph lied. Again.

Bone
01-19-2010, 10:56 AM
His change was definitely the firing of the whole staff, are staff will be much worse now, book it.

trapezeus
01-19-2010, 12:22 PM
maybe Ralph Wilson's press conference will start with him in a flight suit with the sign overhead, "Mission accomplished"