• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bill Cody
    • Sep 2004

The Biggest Thing a Big Name Coach Can't Address

Talent

You say chicken...I say egg...either way you ain't winning without top level talent.

a) You can win a SB with a great QB and good talent or a good QB and great talent but you need one or the other.

b) We could hire Knute Alonzo Stagg Bill Bear Walsh, but he ain't winning with the group we've got now. Not only do you need a great talent evaluator for GM, you need him to be on exactly the same page philosophy wise as the HC. Hate to say it but the model that jumps to mind is Miami with Bill Parcells and Jeff Ireland, not that they've proven anything yet there but I'd take them both in a Buffalo minute. Put those 2 together with the Chin, mix well, and then you might have something in a couple years.

c) simply put, you need brilliance in the front office and on the sideline all rowing in the same direction. Not to be crass, but I'd wager a drunk chimpanzee taught to throw darts at a Draft Guide could draft as well as we have in the past decade, maybe better.

d) can a 110 year old senile, cheap MF put that kind of an organization together? You bet! Excuse me, I have to end this post, I need to run to the 7-11 to buy my Power Ball tix.
  • yordad
    • Dec 2007

Re: The Biggest Thing a Big Name Coach Can't Address

A big named coach can get the attention of talented Free Agents. Not to mention, I think the Bills are fairly talented.
    "Heck, now I am glad his overrated arce made the pro bowl, else we would have only got a 3rd." ~ yordad

"I've just been hit with a piece of sky. " ~ yordad

"Forgive my opinion, but...." ~ yordad

"Warning: I might be hammered." ~ yordad

"I don't care if the word is "your" or "you're", so buzz off. Its (it's) a frickin(') message board." ~ yordad

Comment

• Bill Cody
      • Sep 2004

Originally posted by yordad
      A big named coach can get the attention of talented Free Agents. Not to mention, I think the Bills are fairly talented.
      I agree with that about FA's (see my opposite thread) but the best teams are built primarily through the draft.

As far as talent, please go down the various offensive and defensive groups on our team and compare them talent wise with NE, our biggest division rival. I'm pretty sure we have a better punter, other than that, tell me where we have better talent? QB? OL? Receivers? TE? DL? LB's? DB's? Depth? I'm not saying we don't have any good players but coaching aside are you saying this is a championship or even a playoff caliber roster? I DON'T THINK SO.

Comment

• OpIv37
        Acid Douching Asswipe
        • Sep 2002

You have to start somewhere, and it's easier to replace one coach than 10-12 starters.

Yes, this team lacks talent. And the reality is that we are 2-3 years away even with the right coach/GM in place, maybe more.

That being said, Jauron was at least a -2 each season. We lost several games a year on coaching alone, when the talent could have won it for us. He makes us less than the sum of the parts, whereas a winning coach does the opposite.

In addition, the coaches are partially responsible for the talent on the field. For example, it was a coaching decision to cut Walker and start Bell a week before the season started.

I agree, the Bills have to do a lot more to prove they have genuinely turned a corner and are interested in winning, and even if they do it right, we are a few years away. But for now, this is a good start.
        MiKiDo Facebook
        MiKiDo Website

Comment

• BillsWin
          man amongst boys
          • Oct 2008

The Bills have a solid core of players but lack the big name stars. A big name coach like Shanahan could bring them in. Especially if Ralph is serious about money not being an issue.

Think about it this way. You are the best free agent at your position. Would you rather go to a team coached by Jauron, or Shanahan?
          I am The Batman.

Comment

• yordad
            • Dec 2007

Originally posted by DrewBlueFan
            I agree with that about FA's (see my opposite thread) but the best teams are built primarily through the draft.

As far as talent, please go down the various offensive and defensive groups on our team and compare them talent wise with NE, our biggest division rival. I'm pretty sure we have a better punter, other than that, tell me where we have better talent? QB? OL? Receivers? TE? DL? LB's? DB's? Depth? I'm not saying we don't have any good players but coaching aside are you saying this is a championship or even a playoff caliber roster? I DON'T THINK SO.
            Our RBs are better. Our WRs are comparable. Our line is inexperienced, but more athletic.
            "Heck, now I am glad his overrated arce made the pro bowl, else we would have only got a 3rd." ~ yordad

"I don't care if the word is "your" or "you're", so buzz off. Its (it's) a frickin(') message board." ~ yordad

Comment

• yordad
              • Dec 2007

Oh, our D might actually be as good as their's, but our offense is so bad, we can't tell.

Comment

• BuffaloRanger
                WORK HARD. PLAY HARD. LIVE HARD.
                • Mar 2003

Fins. 1-15 to 11-5. Pennington at QB.

A new coach and GM helped a bit there.
                Buffalo Only and Always.

Comment

Working...
                X