PDA

View Full Version : Does Fewell as interim HC satisfy Rooney Rule?

X-Era
11-20-2009, 05:54 AM
I honestly don't know.

My thought is that promoting him to interim HC as a "tryout" is the same as an on the job interview.

But if that's not true, Shanahan cannot be signed until we interview a Rooney Rule candidate. And now its the same for GM and HC!

Anyone know?

YardRat
11-20-2009, 06:01 AM
They have to actually interview a minority for the position, as far as I know.

Detroit was fined by the league for jumping on Marriucci so quickly after firing Mornhinweg.

X-Era
11-20-2009, 06:13 AM
They have to actually interview a minority for the position, as far as I know.

Detroit was fined by the league for jumping on Marriucci so quickly after firing Mornhinweg.

So Fewells promotion to interim HC doesn't count as an interview? Hes basically trying out for the job.

YardRat
11-20-2009, 06:21 AM
If he isn't granted an actual formal interview, I would say no.

All head coaches are 'trying out' for their job, every season.

If Pittsburgh fired Mike Tomlin, they wouldn't be able to skirt the process because their previous head coach was a minority.

X-Era
11-20-2009, 06:32 AM
If he isn't granted an actual formal interview, I would say no.

All head coaches are 'trying out' for their job, every season.

If Pittsburgh fired Mike Tomlin, they wouldn't be able to skirt the process because their previous head coach was a minority.

I guess it will come down to what they told him when they gave him the role (which we will never know). I they told him that he was given the reigns on a tryout basis and based on his performance, he will be considered for the job... to me, that's an interview. Besides, its not to say that they wont meet with Shanny, and immediately, the next day, do a formal interview with Fewell. They may have already.

I could even see that when Ralph talked to him on the phone about the interim job, that construes an interview (based on what he said, which, again, we dont know). If he asked him about his philosophy, about where he would like to take the team.... etc... That what he would do with any candidate, and that's what makes it an interview.

Buddo
11-20-2009, 07:34 AM
Either way, the chances are that Fewell will be 'on hand' for an actual 'formal' interview. It's something that shouldn't really be anything to worry about tbh.

methos4ever
11-20-2009, 07:47 AM
In order for the rule to be truly satisfied, he has to be given an interview along with whatever other candidates there are prior to the hiring of the head coach. So just being the interim would not satisfy.

Raptor
11-20-2009, 07:50 AM
My guess is no but its an interesting question, if I get through on Sirius NFL radio I'll ask it today

X-Era
11-21-2009, 06:24 PM
Now PFT has a story about Gruden and says we wont do anything until after the season due to the Rooney Rule. Huh?

We have named a minority candidate our interim HC. There is no way anyone can claim we did not interview a minority candidate... we are giving Fewell an on the job tryout.

PECKERWOOD
11-21-2009, 07:00 PM
I honestly don't know.

My thought is that promoting him to interim HC as a "tryout" is the same as an on the job interview.

But if that's not true, Shanahan cannot be signed until we interview a Rooney Rule candidate. And now its the same for GM and HC!

Anyone know?

I wondered that too, good question, I think so.

X-Era
11-21-2009, 07:10 PM
I wondered that too, good question, I think so.

No way anyone can claim we never looked at a minority, we promoted Fewell and may have already interviewed him verbally and/or in a meeting.

Now, apparently, the rule also applies to GM's. If we hire Shanny as both, does Fewell count only for the HC spot?

I gotta believe we wouldnt have to go and interview a minority Gm just to give the job to a GM/HC.

clumping platelets
11-21-2009, 10:39 PM
:no:

Buddo
11-22-2009, 05:10 AM
It's fairly easy really. If you have to interview for the position, you have to interview for the position. Just because you have decided to have a GM/HC position, doesn't get around the rule. All you would have to do is interview a guy for the HC position, and a guy for a GM position. Rule covered, should you appoint a GM/HC.
The only way to 'circumvent that, is to merely employ a HC, but you widen his area of responsibility to include all football operations.

kernowboy
11-22-2009, 05:26 AM
I am in fact grateful for the rule.

The moment Jauron got fired there was a 'popcorn' moment with fans clamouring for so-called big names despite the measurable lack of success these coaches have enjoyed at more than one visit or indeed, any coach has enjoyed elsewhere.

History shows that coaches who have had a lousy first experience as being a Head Coach come back stronger - Levy, Belichick etc.

Hopefully by January, calm heads will be in place, and we will look for a talented GM who will then engage in a proper assessment of all the potential candidates, whether they be established Head Coaches, Co-ordinators or College guys etc

A comparison can be made with the Premiership in England. Spurs chased after one of the most successful managers in Europe at the time, got him, and he turned out to be an unmitigated disaster. Arsenal appointed a guy, Arsene Wenger, who most people had never heard of, and he has turned out to be one of the most successful managers of all time.