PDA

View Full Version : Football players/drugs/their kids

TheGhostofJimKelly
05-30-2003, 01:15 PM
It always seems odd to me the number of football players who have kids with health problems. If you think about it Jim Kelly, Dan Marino, Boomer Esiason, Doug Flutie, etc. all have kids with disabilities (plus many more). I wonder if drugs used during their careers is the leading cause of this.

Ebenezer
05-30-2003, 01:20 PM
That is completely asinine. Each of them are genetically inherited. To assume differently or even bring up that topic is completely irresponsible.

TheGhostofJimKelly
05-30-2003, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by Ebenezer
That is completely asinine. Each of them are genetically inherited. To assume differently or even bring up that topic is completely irresponsible.

What the hell are you, the dad of the board?

And exactly what is so irresponsible about what I said?

Ebenezer
05-30-2003, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by TheGhostofJimKelly
What the hell are you, the dad of the board?

And exactly what is so irresponsible about what I said?

To insinuate that the genetic diseases their kids suffer may have been caused by drugs, legal or illegal, used during their careers in without merit, lacking of scientific basis and nothing more than conjecture.

Mr. Miyagi
05-30-2003, 02:10 PM
:box:

venis2k1
05-30-2003, 02:11 PM
:couch: Mommy and Daddy are fighting.

bo-flex
05-30-2003, 02:12 PM
great iconn ghostofjimkelly... i like your taste

Earthquake Enyart
05-30-2003, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by Ebenezer

To insinuate that the genetic diseases their kids suffer may have been caused by drugs, legal or illegal, used during their careers in without merit, lacking of scientific basis and nothing more than conjecture.

So are you saying that drug use cannot lead to birth defects??

Why is there all that tiny print on every OTC drug?

lordofgun
05-30-2003, 02:28 PM
Yeah, why couldn't drugs make that happen? Steroids and other drugs can do bad things.

Or maybe they married their sisters. :jk:

Ebenezer
05-30-2003, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart

So are you saying that drug use cannot lead to birth defects??

Why is there all that tiny print on every OTC drug?

Without looking up every single study ever done, I believe that most birth defects attributed to drug use are due to drug abuse on the part of the mother.

GOJK started the thread, let him show scientific evidence of his theory.

baalworship
05-30-2003, 02:43 PM
I always found it off how many star QB's had kids with health problems. I guess in order to figure out if drug use is a possiblity or cause you would have to look up each kid's particular illness. Then you could see if those diseases are totally genetic or if other influences could have affected them. I think the health & drug use or abuse by the mothers could be a cause too. I am sure many of the trophy wives partied back in the day.

muestafa1
05-30-2003, 03:54 PM
I highly doubt that drug use has anything to do with it.
More than likely, the fact that these parents of these children are famous causes disproportionate coverage from the media, making it appear as though there is a higher number of children with disabilites amongst NFL stars. Another factor to consider is that these players can afford to give their children top notch care, prolonging their lives and aiding in making their stories more known.

I bet you have plenty of children with disabilites in your community that you're not aware of because their families aren't publicly scrutinized. Also, i'm sure there have been children in your community who passed away without getting the top notch care/treatments that some of the NFL players families can recieve.

THATHURMANATOR
05-30-2003, 04:16 PM
I think it was drugs.....

THATHURMANATOR
05-30-2003, 04:17 PM
Or maybe they inherited the traits

WG
05-30-2003, 07:08 PM
Did I miss something?

I don't think the original post was irresponsible, but have we recently, or even formerly, learned that Esiason, Kelly, Flutie, or Marino have done serious drugs?

lordofgun
05-31-2003, 01:35 PM
No, but if you analyze random stats, you'll see it's highly probably. ;)

Jeff1220
05-31-2003, 02:32 PM
I always assumed that it was God's choosing (or Karma, etc. for you non-Christians or atheists) that certain diseases ended up associated with people of privilege. It allows them to focus their means and publicty to a cause that can help others and humanity in general.

But I guess drugs are a possibility too.

Dozerdog
05-31-2003, 03:35 PM
Isn't the idea of message boards to ask questions, explore options, share knowledge, and borrow on other's expertise?

It's a question I always had in the back of my mind but did not ask.

1) Players everyday are in the News about drug use. Even legal drugs and suppliments are used all the time to get the injured on the field.

2) An incredible string of unfortunate luck to all the QBs at the same time.

3) I have no scientific knowlege of the individual diseases- so I would ask those who might. I'm not exactly sure what each specific disease is in the back of my mind.

Asking if an enviromental cause in the workplace isn't assinine. and should not be received with such harshness....

The_Philster
06-01-2003, 04:47 PM
Hunter Kelly's Krabbe's Leukodystrophy is a genetic thing. They had Camryn tested for it after she was born.

Originally posted by Jeff1220
I always assumed that it was God's choosing (or Karma, etc. for you non-Christians or atheists) that certain diseases ended up associated with people of privilege. It allows them to focus their means and publicty to a cause that can help others and humanity in general.

I think you hit the nail on the head. :up:

cordog
06-01-2003, 05:37 PM
I believe Marino's child suffers from autism. Thats pretty common and is not caused by drug abuse.

Stewie
06-01-2003, 09:32 PM
You just know about them because they were NFL ballers... You don't hear about the thousands of people who aren't famous

Andrea1234
06-01-2003, 11:40 PM
my oldest has amastm and she got it from her dad so yes the parents could have the gene and pass it to the baby