PDA

View Full Version : When the bills hired levy

BillsOwnAll
11-20-2009, 09:35 AM
Now being only 21 i was only 2 years old in those super bowl years. But when marv levy was hired was he already known as a great coach or did he make his name starting in buffalo? Was he another one of ralphs cheap coaches and just got lucky for once?

Jan Reimers
11-20-2009, 09:42 AM
Marv had been a special teams coach in Philadelphia and with George Allen in Washington, Head Coach of Montreal in the CFL (with a couple of Grey Cup wins) and HC with KC for 5 years, with just moderate success. He also coached Chicago in the USFL for one season before the Bills hired him.

He was mostly a lucky pick, but the luckiest thing he did was discover Bill Polian in Montreal, who came to the Bills and got Marv the players he needed to be successful.

bigbub2352
11-20-2009, 09:44 AM
I am pretty sure Marv had a career losing record when we hired him as well
most of his success came in the CFL

Ingtar33
11-20-2009, 10:17 AM
Now being only 21 i was only 2 years old in those super bowl years. But when marv levy was hired was he already known as a great coach or did he make his name starting in buffalo? Was he another one of ralphs cheap coaches and just got lucky for once?

Marv was a cheap Ralph hire... but he had a great coaching resume... well a pretty good one... well up until he coached in KC.

Typ0
11-20-2009, 11:00 AM
Marv was a cheap Ralph hire... but he had a great coaching resume... well a pretty good one... well up until he coached in KC.

What I really want to know...is why didn't RW hire ML to coach again instead of putting him upstairs? I know the answer but it's all wrong. He should have gotten a strong GM ML wanted to work with and let him coach dammit...

sdbillsfan2
11-20-2009, 11:36 AM
Marv had been a special teams coach in Philadelphia and with George Allen in Washington, Head Coach of Montreal in the CFL (with a couple of Grey Cup wins) and HC with KC for 5 years, with just moderate success. He also coached Chicago in the USFL for one season before the Bills hired him.

He was mostly a lucky pick, but the luckiest thing he did was discover Bill Polian in Montreal, who came to the Bills and got Marv the players he needed to be successful.

Great post . Polian and the player made Marv a success. Marv was a great motivator But he was surrounded by talent. True to Ralph's nature , he got Marv cheap and lucked out with the talent. If they ever let GMs go to the Hall , Polian should be first on the list.

BillsOwnAll
11-20-2009, 11:42 AM
I see, Thanks for the insight guys.