PDA

View Full Version : Uncapped Year Coming, Spending $$ For Talent ,Ralph's Age, Long Term Survival..

Night Train
11-20-2009, 03:06 PM
These are factors any so called big name Coach will be wondering if the Bills contact him.

It's not as simple as Ralph coming to his senses and throwing $$ at a big name coach. This will be a mutual interview and the candidate will also want lots answered before agreeing to a deal, such as..

1. Dealing with an expected uncapped year, coming soon.
http://sportsbusinessjournal.com/article/63447

2. The small market Bills in regular times, were well under the cap. Will the next coach have to run everything by Wilson or numbers cruncher Jeff Littman ?

3. Will he be allowed to extend good talent and seek more in Free Agency ?

4. The long term viability of the franchise itself. Will the Bills remain in WNY or be sold within a year of Ralph's passing ? What's the post Ralph plan ?

5. How much control will he actually have ? Will Ralph continue to meddle or have Smithers..er..Brandon..do it for him ?

I like the firing of Jauron and getting a jump on other teams, since this season is shot but I'm not cheering until I see who we actually hire. I have hopes like everyone but I won't react to every report, only to see some C level candidate hired in the end.

Let's let it play out and hope for the best..but understand the parameters for an actual agreement with a well known coach are many...and not just about published contract $$.

T-Long
11-20-2009, 03:15 PM
These are factors any so called big name Coach will be wondering if the Bills contact him.

It's not as simple as Ralph coming to his senses and throwing $$ at a big name coach. This will be a mutual interview and the candidate will also want lots answered before agreeing to a deal, such as..

1. Dealing with an expected uncapped year, coming soon.
http://sportsbusinessjournal.com/article/63447

2. The small market Bills in regular times, were well under the cap. Will the next coach have to run everything by Wilson or numbers cruncher Jeff Littman ?

3. Will he be allowed to extend good talent and seek more in Free Agency ?

4. The long term viability of the franchise itself. Will the Bills remain in WNY or be sold within a year of Ralph's passing ? What's the post Ralph plan ?

5. How much control will he actually have ? Will Ralph continue to meddle or have Smithers..er..Brandon..do it for him ?

I like the firing of Jauron and getting a jump on other teams, since this season is shot but I'm not cheering until I see who we actually hire. I have hopes like everyone but I won't react to every report, only to see some C level candidate hired in the end.

Let's let it play out and hope for the best..but understand the parameters for an actual agreement with a well known coach are many...and not just about published contract $$.

I can't knock your cautious approach to cheering again, but I truly think this is the year Ralph gives it one more shot before he croaks. Last time I checked, you can't take it with ya when you're gone!

Night Train
11-20-2009, 04:22 PM
I can't knock your cautious approach to cheering again, but I truly think this is the year Ralph gives it one more shot before he croaks. Last time I checked, you can't take it with ya when you're gone!

I completely agree.

I'm just predicting the coaching candidates will be asking 5 times as many questions about the Bills than the Bills will about him...and with good reason.

SABURZFAN
11-20-2009, 06:20 PM
is there a minimum for what owners have to spend? if not, The Old Fart may start paying 1980's wages again.

MassEffect218435
11-20-2009, 06:37 PM
The cap going away next year is the worst thing that could happen to the Bills. Wilson already has to overpay for players to play in Buffalo, but now he'll have the big spending teams (Dallas, Washington, NE, Oakland) going after the top-tier talent available, and none of the above mind spending. At the same time all Buffalo has to do is draft extremely well and you won't have to worry about the powerhouse teams.

You also have to take into consideration where players actually want to play. According to a recent poll taken by NFL players the top five teams players want to play for are:

The top five:

Cowboys, 11.%
Chargers 8.5%
Steelers, 7.0%
Dolphins, 6.6%
Patriots, 5.9%

I don't know where the Bills are on that list, article doesn't specify. Who ever the next coach is is going to have to be a good salesman as well and convince players to play in Buffalo.