PDA

View Full Version : Kyle Orton as an option?

kernowboy
11-21-2009, 03:27 PM
Reading Walterfootball, I was quite surprised to see they have Orton's contract expiring at the end of the season.

Considering the poverty we've had at the position, if the Broncos weren't to resign him, would it not be worth making a run.

I feel that whilst he's not the most exciting player, with decent protection, he is an effective game managing QB, and by signing him, we wouldn't need to reach for one of this years overrated crops. It would also allow further time to see if Brohm could be developed

As a starter he's got a win-loss record of 27-12, and I'd be happy for that sort of record at the Ralph. He's got a reasonable arm, and doesn't seem to take too many sacks either.

MassEffect218435
11-21-2009, 03:45 PM
Hey, in the right system he's proving that he can not only win, but produce. But after seeing how bad they were once Simms entered the game last week it's hard to think of them letting him go.

Jaybird
11-21-2009, 04:01 PM
NO

PECKERWOOD
11-21-2009, 04:05 PM
If I were Denver, I'd franchise tag him. He has shown so much potential, but little consistency. A franchise tag would be a sound move financially.

DynaPaul
11-21-2009, 04:16 PM
They're not gonna let Orton go. Look for him to be a Bronco next year as well.

Buddo
11-21-2009, 04:34 PM
McDaniels is making him look good. He would have nowhere near the success with the Bills, as he is having in Denver - even with a good offensive HC, imho. If there is a coach and system for Edwards to thrive in, Mcdaniels has it.
I think that Orton is a decent QB, and his record, even with the Bears, isn't too shabby, but I don't think he's 'franchise' material, and tbh, that is what we should be looking for.
If you want a vet for a couple of years while a QB develops, I think you have to look at the likes of McNabb, or even a guy like Pennington, who, while now lacking arm strength, is probably the consummate game manager, who could mentor a young QB very well.

SABURZFAN
11-21-2009, 04:40 PM
i think Orton stays in Denver.

DrGraves
11-21-2009, 04:41 PM
**** NO

Typ0
11-21-2009, 04:42 PM
Orton has showed up to play since the second he saw the field in a preseason game at Chicago. We are a team that should be happy to have a guy like that on our roster. I doubt Denver lets him go he's too valuable.

HAMMER
11-21-2009, 04:52 PM
I don't want a game manager, I want a game winner. Let's not be looking at stop gap measures, let's get our franchise QB and develop him.

Typ0
11-21-2009, 04:59 PM
I don't want a game manager, I want a game winner. Let's not be looking at stop gap measures, let's get our franchise QB and develop him.

27-12 isn't winning? When he was in Chicago he was asked to do a lot more and he made plays that helped them win. Sure, he made some mistakes too but he was raw. He beat other guys out for that job from being a nobody. Sounds like a winner to me.

trapezeus
11-21-2009, 06:52 PM
we already had JP...no need to get his clone, who granted has been more consistent that JP and actually won games, but no need to get a mid level QB and hope that he's more. we had that in trent, we have that in brohm. the next qb to get on this team for a serious look has to come through the draft.

PECKERWOOD
11-21-2009, 06:57 PM
we already had JP...no need to get his clone, who granted has been more consistent that JP and actually won games, but no need to get a mid level QB and hope that he's more. we had that in trent, we have that in brohm. the next qb to get on this team for a serious look has to come through the draft.

Delusional.

Typ0
11-21-2009, 07:18 PM

Seriously? Get another rookie in this organization that can't pick them and can't groom them? Sorry but this is just plain crazy thinking. We'd be lucky to have Orton on this team instead of another three year project.

HAMMER
11-21-2009, 07:55 PM
NO

Night Train
11-21-2009, 08:14 PM

Orton looks like JP but plays like Trent Dilfer or Brad Johnson.

Strictly a short term answer while someone else develops. Below average arm and limited mobility.

Luisito23
11-21-2009, 08:31 PM
100% sure that they're going to at least tag him...It's OK though because I don't want him anyways.

Buddo
11-22-2009, 04:59 AM
Seriously? Get another rookie in this organization that can't pick them and can't groom them? Sorry but this is just plain crazy thinking. We'd be lucky to have Orton on this team instead of another three year project.

You are making that assumption based on past history. Change is supposedly coming, and with that change, we may get a HC who actually knows offence and QBs and can both select and groom them correctly. The solution to the QB position, has to come through the draft, or from a pickup like Brohm, otherwise you never have a QB become a 'franchise' QB.
Orton is merely a decent QB, who has just got incredibly lucky. He's lucky, in that he's found a HC whose offensive systems, are built for success. For all that Orton would be an improvement over the current play we've got from our QBs, if you seriously think he could have done much better with this dysfunctional offense, you are sadly mistaken.
We are going to be rebuilding, whether you like it or not. That could well entail another 3 year QB project. It could be a 3 year project anyway, if we actually hire Cowher, as he would rip the whole thing apart, on both sides of the ball.

kernowboy
11-22-2009, 05:07 AM
His record in Chicago as a starter was 21-10 so I don't think its all McDaniels influence.

And when you consider the horrible WR Corps he had in the Windy City, I do think he could have done much better here.

kernowboy
11-22-2009, 05:08 AM
and to franchise Orton they would need to give him the average of the Top5 QB salaries in the league.

Are we sure they'd be prepared to do that?

Typ0
11-22-2009, 06:12 AM
You are making that assumption based on past history. Change is supposedly coming, and with that change, we may get a HC who actually knows offence and QBs and can both select and groom them correctly. The solution to the QB position, has to come through the draft, or from a pickup like Brohm, otherwise you never have a QB become a 'franchise' QB.
Orton is merely a decent QB, who has just got incredibly lucky. He's lucky, in that he's found a HC whose offensive systems, are built for success. For all that Orton would be an improvement over the current play we've got from our QBs, if you seriously think he could have done much better with this dysfunctional offense, you are sadly mistaken.
We are going to be rebuilding, whether you like it or not. That could well entail another 3 year QB project. It could be a 3 year project anyway, if we actually hire Cowher, as he would rip the whole thing apart, on both sides of the ball.

Having a guy you draft and have to get ready is a good strategy. Using that guy on day one while you're building a team would be less than desirable. Especially considering the risk that you really never know what you have gotten in the draft until they hit the field. Waiting to give that person time to prepare and you to see that he's actually ready through practice and observation would be a good strategy.

I'd rather have Drew Brees but he's not going to be available. Look at the free agent list. Actually, if we were to get Orton OBD could boast about how they got the best player out there. They also are going to be looking at QBs in the next few drafts. If there is a guy they like more to be this project they will wait until then to draft a QB. It's a big investment in a QB because that position is making the team work. Who do you suggest we acquire other than a rookie? Brohm? So he is going to slug it out with the Rookie for the starters position?

kernowboy
11-22-2009, 06:42 AM
Basically I see Orton as being a decent 2-3 year option if we were to sign him so we could see how Brohm developed or allow us to look at the QBs coming out in 2011, and 2012, the last one possibly to include Andrew Luck and Matt Bradley.

The top ranked QBs this year look to have 'bust' written all over them in terms of high risk picks either due to only getting it done for one season (Clausen, Locker) or significant injury concerns (Bradford)

The cost of franchising Orton for the Broncos will be at least $15m. Even in an upcapped season that is a lot, and considering the type of offence McDaniels has, would they be interested in doing that?

TedMock
11-22-2009, 07:38 AM
Reading Walterfootball, I was quite surprised to see they have Orton's contract expiring at the end of the season.

Considering the poverty we've had at the position, if the Broncos weren't to resign him, would it not be worth making a run.

I feel that whilst he's not the most exciting player, with decent protection, he is an effective game managing QB, and by signing him, we wouldn't need to reach for one of this years overrated crops. It would also allow further time to see if Brohm could be developed

As a starter he's got a win-loss record of 27-12, and I'd be happy for that sort of record at the Ralph. He's got a arm, and doesn't seem to take too many sacks either.
I never thought poorly of Orton. It's just, after Losman, I'm a little nervous about neckbeards.

justasportsfan
11-22-2009, 07:46 AM
:rofl: Trent and Brohm are mid level and are in Ortons class ? you're on drugs

HOw is he JP's clone? looks or the way he plays?

trapezeus
11-22-2009, 09:30 AM
the way he looks.

he's a game manager that is struggling right now. Like rick james, when he was on, he's great. when he's off, he's terrible. and by terrible i don't mean historic bills qbs since kelly bad, i mean, he leaves you wanting more. You see him for all his flaws.

Sure he's smart. but like other posters said, he bridges the gap until you get your real bonafide starter in. and the thing is we've had game managers who've looked ok, then disappeared. That absolutely is trent. That absolutely is holcomb.

Picking up brohm is our bridge to a better QB and lets us develop a line first. brohm can be as bad as jp or edwards or fitz, but at least he's not them. and if it becomes like ROb Johnson and he's getting sacked with plenty of time, we at least know we are all shored up on the OL and getting a real qb will be priority.

Buddo
11-22-2009, 10:01 AM
I don't know whether it was in this thread or not, but if you want a QB to steady the ship for a couple of years, you are far better off getting McNabb or Pennington, you know, guys who have actually been to the playoffs fairly regularly, and should be able to mentor a young QB. I wasn't saying that Brohm is the answer, by any stretch, but with further development, he could be, based off of ability - the 'intangibles' are what will make the difference, as they seem to have with Edwards, and certainly Losman before him.
Getting Orton is doing the same sort of thing, over and over again. No-one will assume that he is a good QB, he will be 'on trial', just like the last several QBs. If the line isn't sorted, and we don't get a good OC, he will just be the next QB with some potential to be run out of town, for any one of several reasons.
Get a McNabb, or Pennington, and there's a genuine track record. The 'fault' will lay elsewhere. It will be identifiable, and can be corrected, and in the meantime, we can be developing properly, a QB.

jamze132
11-22-2009, 11:08 AM
If it comes down to us chosing Orton over Edwards and Fitz, I'll take Orton any day of the week. The upcoming draft will suck balls for QBs, anyone with half a brain can see that.

Mr. Pink
11-22-2009, 11:10 AM
Orton is a much better option of a game manager QB than what we had as a game manager previously.

He's not a bad choice if that's the route we decide to go.