• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • X-Era
    What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
    • Feb 2005

Media comments on why big namers wont come here

They say other teams will be more established with a proven QB, so these guys will pick those teams first.

Maybe, but maybe not. I could see the Bills and the candidate discussing the QB position and the Bills could easily tell whomever that they will be trading for a proven QB or signing one. Just because one isnt here now doesn't meant we wont get one by training camp.

Besides, who are these teams with the proven QB's that will likely fire there HC?

Browns- Quinn or Anderson? Nope.
    Raiders- Russell? maybe, but hes not proven
    Washington- Campbell? Nope
    St. Louis- Bulger? Nope
    Tampa Bay- Freeman? Nope

None are proven, so I dont know what situations are better as far as QB goes.

The Bills are playing this right to land one.

1) They are offering (supposedly) complete control of the Football Operations side
    2) They are willing to pay whatever it takes

They say the big name teams will get these guys. Again, maybe, maybe not. These guys want to be the kings of the football operations side. Who would want to deal with Snyder, Jerry Jones, or Al Davis? St Louis? sure, but we have better talent. The Browns? They seem to be hell bent on getting a GM, what big namer will want to go under some GM's thumb?

I think our supposed willingness to pay puts us right up there with anyone else. This team isn't as bad as several that may be looking for new HC's.

I think we have a decent chance at landing a big namer.

Last night, WIVB-TV in Buffalo reported that the Bills' first choice to replace coach Dick Jauron was former Bucs and Raiders coach Jon Gruden.

With the Notre Dame home schedule wrapping up this week, so are the halftime segments with Mike Florio, Peter King, and Jimmy Roberts.
    Last edited by X-Era; 11-21-2009, 07:37 PM.

• EricStratton
    • Jul 2002

Re: Media comments on why big namers wont come here

Do you have any links to these stories?

Comment

• X-Era
      • Feb 2005

Originally posted by EricStratton
      Do you have any links to these stories?
      done

NFL Network guys said no way any of these coaches want to go there.

Comment

• feldspar
        • Mar 2007

Winning teams generally don't fire their head coaches, and therefore the better teams are not in search of a head coach. That's why I don't get the philosophy that say the Bills are too bad a team to get a big-name coach. Kind of a contradiction, ask me. The only real question is money. Power is the secondary issue. If Ralph is serious about turning this team around, he'll pony up the big bucks and hire not only a competent coach, but a competent front office. If these big-name guys are worth their reputations and the money they command, they should be able to turn this team around.

Adam Shefter was saying that over the past ten years, the NFL has averaged 7 new head coaches per year. There WILL be some competition to land the big-names this year. But I don't get the holding up of Jerry Jones and Daniel Snyder. Snyder has basically been willing to pay up, but he doesn't seem to know what he is doing. The Cowboys have a former Bills head coach in charge right now, for crying out loud. They haven't won a playoff game in 13 years. These coaches are going to be racing to joing St. Louis, Cleveland, Detroit, or Tampa Bay? Why exactly are they better places to coach than Buffalo?

Comment

• X-Era
          • Feb 2005

Originally posted by feldspar
          Winning teams generally don't fire their head coaches, and therefore the better teams are not in search of a head coach. That's why I don't get the philosophy that say the Bills are too bad a team to get a big-name coach. Kind of a contradiction, ask me. The only real question is money. Power is the secondary issue. If Ralph is serious about turning this team around, he'll pony up the big bucks and hire not only a competent coach, but a competent front office. If these big-name guys are worth their reputations and the money they command, they should be able to turn this team around.

Adam Shefter was saying that over the past ten years, the NFL has averaged 7 new head coaches per year. There WILL be some competition to land the big-names this year. But I don't get the holding up of Jerry Jones and Daniel Snyder. Snyder has basically been willing to pay up, but he doesn't seem to know what he is doing. The Cowboys have a former Bills head coach in charge right now, for crying out loud. They haven't won a playoff game in 13 years. These coaches are going to be racing to joing St. Louis, Cleveland, Detroit, or Tampa Bay? Why exactly are they better places to coach than Buffalo?
          Exactly.

And who is going to want to be under Jerry Jones or Dan Snyder? I think Ralph keeping Jauron so long helps our case because they will think they aren't on some short leash.

Shefter has already said we will pay whatever it takes, I think it has areal chance of happening

Comment

• PECKERWOOD
            Defies all logic
            • Oct 2006

Total control, pure power. How hard it'd be to manipulate a 90 year old man? He has a boatload of cash, go on now, remove your shame, be calculative, take advantage of the situation.

Comment

• BertSquirtgum
              Legendary Zoner
              • May 2009

what a god damn joke. all of these bum teams do not have a franchise qb. they are all in the same boat as we are. hope we hire shanahan or holmgren. i will buy season tickets again if they do.
              Last edited by BertSquirtgum; 11-21-2009, 08:03 PM.

Comment

• elltrain22
                • Sep 2003

I don't need links, and I don't listen to all the naysayers, we WILL get Shanny or Cowher!! Call me crazy, I know Ralph's history, but I just have a very good feeling next year, is going to be very, very different. The countdown to relivancy is upon us folks!!!
                If you walk with Jesus today, you don't have anything to worry about tomorrow...

Comment

• Luisito23
                  Men Have Superbowl Gold, Legends Have Platinum Hearts!!!
                  • Apr 2003

Originally posted by feldspar

Well put Feldspar.
                  "Expect rejection, but expect more to overcome it."
                  ***Marv Levy.***

"Coach Levy is one of the most inspirational people that I have ever known."
                  ***Thurman Thomas.***

"You're not going to find a more classier, down-to-Earth person away from the field than Marv Levy. He's a guy who's pretty much made me what I am today as far as a professional player and a person."
                  ***Jim Kelly***

Marv Levy's Website

Comment

• ejsmith
                    • Aug 2002

I think there is a lot to be said about the new guy coming in and being able to hand pick his field general (QB) and not having to take on the previous regime's baggage.

Comment

• Typ0
                      honey pie
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by ejsmith
                      I think there is a lot to be said about the new guy coming in and being able to hand pick his field general (QB) and not having to take on the previous regime's baggage.

Who is he going to handpick? Joey Harrington?

Comment

I'm not sure that some of the positions you mention will be available either.

Mangini would simply cost the Browns too much to fire, considering how much they are currently paying ex-coaches.

With both Detroit and St Louis, I think they are both more competitive but have awful rosters and I think the ownership there will allow more than one season. If not I would be interested in looking at both Schwartz or Spagnuolo's tenures as I think both are very good coach. I don't recall Belichick winning during his first gig.

Definitely the Redskins, Cowboys, Raiders and Bucs I think will be after coaches.

Comment

• X-Era
                          • Feb 2005

So, the rumor is, Shanny has Dallas, Washington, and the Texans at the top of his wish list.

As Peter King of NBC pointed out during halftime of Saturday's UConn-Notre Dame game, former Broncos coach Mike Shanahan will wait until after the season ends to pick his next NFL gig.

This is Florio and King.

My opinion is that this is them assuming what he wants. But, as weve done, it doesnt make much sense. The Texans I could see. But why are the Texans firing Kubiak again? I dont see him wanting to be under Jerry Jones or Dan Snyder... I dont see it.

What we KNOW is that hes going to talk with us.
                          Last edited by X-Era; 11-22-2009, 08:38 AM.

Comment

• X-Era
                            • Feb 2005

LaConfora said today that he continues to hear Ralph will spend up to 10mill per to get a new HC. He said, Cowher wont interview until the season is over. Says he doesn't think Shanny will take the job, he thinks Shanny will take a "more attractive" job like Texans, Chargers, Redskins, or Cowboys. Then says, with Buffalo being small market, in a division up against the Pats, and an old stadium... its tough to be competitive in Buffalo and the big name coaches know it.

Basically, most of the media thinks we have no chance to land a big namer.

Its perplexing.

Cowher didn't become such a stud in a small market team that is in an old stadium and didn't spend huge amounts in free agency?

So, they think these guys will simply choose their pick of the litter and skip the teams that cant win now. OK, I guess that means none of these guys are interested in building their own team? None of them get excited about the challenge with bringing a team back to their glory days? So, these big namers who many think have huge ego's would rather got o a team that's got all the pieces in place (someone elses build), and under owners who have no patience and are controlling.

Can someone tell me what is so much m ore attractive in Dall or Wash?
                            Last edited by X-Era; 11-22-2009, 09:38 AM.

Comment

• Michael82
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by X-Era
                              LaConfora said today that he continues to hear Ralph will spend up to 10mill per to get a new HC. He said, Cowher wont interview until the season is over. Says he doesn't think Shanny will take the job, he thinks Shanny will take a "more attractive" job like Texans, Chargers, Redskins, or Cowboys. Then says, with Buffalo being small market, in a division up against the Pats, and an old stadium... its tough to be competitive in Buffalo and the big name coaches know it.

Basically, most of the media thinks we have no chance to land a big namer.

Its perplexing.

Cowher didn't become such a stud in a small market team that is in an old stadium and didn't spend huge amounts in free agency?

So, they think these guys will simply choose their pick of the litter and skip the teams that cant win now. OK, I guess that means none of these guys are interested in building their own team? None of them get excited about the challenge with bringing a team back to their glory days? So, these big namers who many think have huge ego's would rather got o a team that's got all the pieces in place (someone elses build), and under owners who have no patience and are controlling.

Can someone tell me what is so much m ore attractive in Dall or Wash?
                              I'm trying to figure it out too....What does Washington have? I'm sorry, but Dan Snyder is a moron. Sure he spends money, but he spends it foolishly and they don't have a QB there either. Dallas scares me the most, that's why I'm hoping they start winning and win the 1st round of the playoffs to save Wade. But if they lose, why would Shanahan want to work under Jerry Jones who is known for hanging in the locker room and meddling everyday. Houston won't fire Kubiak. But if they do...I'm interested!

There's only one team that scares me for Cowher...that's Carolina. If they don't make the playoffs, I think that they will fire John Fox and Bill Cowher is drooling over getting that gig.

Comment

Working...
                              X