PDA

View Full Version : Media comments on why big namers wont come here

X-Era
11-21-2009, 06:29 PM
They say other teams will be more established with a proven QB, so these guys will pick those teams first.

Maybe, but maybe not. I could see the Bills and the candidate discussing the QB position and the Bills could easily tell whomever that they will be trading for a proven QB or signing one. Just because one isnt here now doesn't meant we wont get one by training camp.

Besides, who are these teams with the proven QB's that will likely fire there HC?

Browns- Quinn or Anderson? Nope.
Raiders- Russell? maybe, but hes not proven
Washington- Campbell? Nope
St. Louis- Bulger? Nope
Tampa Bay- Freeman? Nope

None are proven, so I dont know what situations are better as far as QB goes.

The Bills are playing this right to land one.

1) They are offering (supposedly) complete control of the Football Operations side
2) They are willing to pay whatever it takes

They say the big name teams will get these guys. Again, maybe, maybe not. These guys want to be the kings of the football operations side. Who would want to deal with Snyder, Jerry Jones, or Al Davis? St Louis? sure, but we have better talent. The Browns? They seem to be hell bent on getting a GM, what big namer will want to go under some GM's thumb?

I think our supposed willingness to pay puts us right up there with anyone else. This team isn't as bad as several that may be looking for new HC's.

I think we have a decent chance at landing a big namer.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/11/21/report-bills-had-back-channel-communications-only-with-gruden/
http://www.buffalonews.com/452/story/867934.html
http://www.buffalonews.com/452/story/866323.html
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/11/21/florio-king-talk-future-for-browns-and-bills/

EricStratton
11-21-2009, 06:38 PM
Do you have any links to these stories?

X-Era
11-21-2009, 06:51 PM
Do you have any links to these stories?
done

NFL Network guys said no way any of these coaches want to go there.

feldspar
11-21-2009, 06:55 PM
Winning teams generally don't fire their head coaches, and therefore the better teams are not in search of a head coach. That's why I don't get the philosophy that say the Bills are too bad a team to get a big-name coach. Kind of a contradiction, ask me. The only real question is money. Power is the secondary issue. If Ralph is serious about turning this team around, he'll pony up the big bucks and hire not only a competent coach, but a competent front office. If these big-name guys are worth their reputations and the money they command, they should be able to turn this team around.

Adam Shefter was saying that over the past ten years, the NFL has averaged 7 new head coaches per year. There WILL be some competition to land the big-names this year. But I don't get the holding up of Jerry Jones and Daniel Snyder. Snyder has basically been willing to pay up, but he doesn't seem to know what he is doing. The Cowboys have a former Bills head coach in charge right now, for crying out loud. They haven't won a playoff game in 13 years. These coaches are going to be racing to joing St. Louis, Cleveland, Detroit, or Tampa Bay? Why exactly are they better places to coach than Buffalo?

X-Era
11-21-2009, 06:59 PM
Winning teams generally don't fire their head coaches, and therefore the better teams are not in search of a head coach. That's why I don't get the philosophy that say the Bills are too bad a team to get a big-name coach. Kind of a contradiction, ask me. The only real question is money. Power is the secondary issue. If Ralph is serious about turning this team around, he'll pony up the big bucks and hire not only a competent coach, but a competent front office. If these big-name guys are worth their reputations and the money they command, they should be able to turn this team around.

Adam Shefter was saying that over the past ten years, the NFL has averaged 7 new head coaches per year. There WILL be some competition to land the big-names this year. But I don't get the holding up of Jerry Jones and Daniel Snyder. Snyder has basically been willing to pay up, but he doesn't seem to know what he is doing. The Cowboys have a former Bills head coach in charge right now, for crying out loud. They haven't won a playoff game in 13 years. These coaches are going to be racing to joing St. Louis, Cleveland, Detroit, or Tampa Bay? Why exactly are they better places to coach than Buffalo?

Exactly.

And who is going to want to be under Jerry Jones or Dan Snyder? I think Ralph keeping Jauron so long helps our case because they will think they aren't on some short leash.

Shefter has already said we will pay whatever it takes, I think it has areal chance of happening

PECKERWOOD
11-21-2009, 07:04 PM
Total control, pure power. How hard it'd be to manipulate a 90 year old man? He has a boatload of cash, go on now, remove your shame, be calculative, take advantage of the situation.

BertSquirtgum
11-21-2009, 08:02 PM
what a god damn joke. all of these bum teams do not have a franchise qb. they are all in the same boat as we are. hope we hire shanahan or holmgren. i will buy season tickets again if they do.

elltrain22
11-21-2009, 08:20 PM
I don't need links, and I don't listen to all the naysayers, we WILL get Shanny or Cowher!! Call me crazy, I know Ralph's history, but I just have a very good feeling next year, is going to be very, very different. The countdown to relivancy is upon us folks!!!

Luisito23
11-21-2009, 08:23 PM

Well put Feldspar. :bf1:

ejsmith
11-21-2009, 11:38 PM
I think there is a lot to be said about the new guy coming in and being able to hand pick his field general (QB) and not having to take on the previous regime's baggage.

Typ0
11-21-2009, 11:52 PM
I think there is a lot to be said about the new guy coming in and being able to hand pick his field general (QB) and not having to take on the previous regime's baggage.

Who is he going to handpick? Joey Harrington?

kernowboy
11-22-2009, 04:49 AM
I'm not sure that some of the positions you mention will be available either.

Mangini would simply cost the Browns too much to fire, considering how much they are currently paying ex-coaches.

With both Detroit and St Louis, I think they are both more competitive but have awful rosters and I think the ownership there will allow more than one season. If not I would be interested in looking at both Schwartz or Spagnuolo's tenures as I think both are very good coach. I don't recall Belichick winning during his first gig.

Definitely the Redskins, Cowboys, Raiders and Bucs I think will be after coaches.

X-Era
11-22-2009, 08:38 AM
So, the rumor is, Shanny has Dallas, Washington, and the Texans at the top of his wish list.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/11/22/shanahans-wish-list-could-include-dallas-washington-houston/

This is Florio and King.

My opinion is that this is them assuming what he wants. But, as weve done, it doesnt make much sense. The Texans I could see. But why are the Texans firing Kubiak again? I dont see him wanting to be under Jerry Jones or Dan Snyder... I dont see it.

What we KNOW is that hes going to talk with us.

X-Era
11-22-2009, 09:35 AM
LaConfora said today that he continues to hear Ralph will spend up to 10mill per to get a new HC. He said, Cowher wont interview until the season is over. Says he doesn't think Shanny will take the job, he thinks Shanny will take a "more attractive" job like Texans, Chargers, Redskins, or Cowboys. Then says, with Buffalo being small market, in a division up against the Pats, and an old stadium... its tough to be competitive in Buffalo and the big name coaches know it.

Basically, most of the media thinks we have no chance to land a big namer.

Its perplexing.

Cowher didn't become such a stud in a small market team that is in an old stadium and didn't spend huge amounts in free agency?

So, they think these guys will simply choose their pick of the litter and skip the teams that cant win now. OK, I guess that means none of these guys are interested in building their own team? None of them get excited about the challenge with bringing a team back to their glory days? So, these big namers who many think have huge ego's would rather got o a team that's got all the pieces in place (someone elses build), and under owners who have no patience and are controlling.

Can someone tell me what is so much m ore attractive in Dall or Wash?

Michael82
11-22-2009, 10:07 AM
LaConfora said today that he continues to hear Ralph will spend up to 10mill per to get a new HC. He said, Cowher wont interview until the season is over. Says he doesn't think Shanny will take the job, he thinks Shanny will take a "more attractive" job like Texans, Chargers, Redskins, or Cowboys. Then says, with Buffalo being small market, in a division up against the Pats, and an old stadium... its tough to be competitive in Buffalo and the big name coaches know it.

Basically, most of the media thinks we have no chance to land a big namer.

Its perplexing.

Cowher didn't become such a stud in a small market team that is in an old stadium and didn't spend huge amounts in free agency?

So, they think these guys will simply choose their pick of the litter and skip the teams that cant win now. OK, I guess that means none of these guys are interested in building their own team? None of them get excited about the challenge with bringing a team back to their glory days? So, these big namers who many think have huge ego's would rather got o a team that's got all the pieces in place (someone elses build), and under owners who have no patience and are controlling.

Can someone tell me what is so much m ore attractive in Dall or Wash?

I'm trying to figure it out too....What does Washington have? I'm sorry, but Dan Snyder is a moron. Sure he spends money, but he spends it foolishly and they don't have a QB there either. Dallas scares me the most, that's why I'm hoping they start winning and win the 1st round of the playoffs to save Wade. But if they lose, why would Shanahan want to work under Jerry Jones who is known for hanging in the locker room and meddling everyday. Houston won't fire Kubiak. But if they do...I'm interested!

There's only one team that scares me for Cowher...that's Carolina. If they don't make the playoffs, I think that they will fire John Fox and Bill Cowher is drooling over getting that gig.

X-Era
11-22-2009, 10:19 AM
I'm trying to figure it out too....What does Washington have? I'm sorry, but Dan Snyder is a moron. Sure he spends money, but he spends it foolishly and they don't have a QB there either. Dallas scares me the most, that's why I'm hoping they start winning and win the 1st round of the playoffs to save Wade. But if they lose, why would Shanahan want to work under Jerry Jones who is known for hanging in the locker room and meddling everyday. Houston won't fire Kubiak. But if they do...I'm interested!

There's only one team that scares me for Cowher...that's Carolina. If they don't make the playoffs, I think that they will fire John Fox and Bill Cowher is drooling over getting that gig.

Cowher- Carolina- Whos the QB down there? I actually feel better about our QB's than Carolina's. He would do that just to stay "home". Cowher may take a job based more on where it is than any other factor. I could see that. But outside of Carolina's location, I think Buffalo is just as attractive as any other.

Cowher/Shanny- Dall- I just cant see either chooisng Dallas with such a meddling owner. Jimmy J. basically left Dall because he couldnt co-exist with Jones. I dont see any of these guys, with choices, signing up for that.

Cowher/Shanny- Wash- see the Dallas owner situation and add in that the team has no QB and is pretty bad in many ways.

Cowher/Shanny- Texans- Its attractive because of the good owner, and a proven QB. One of the top guys would probably take it. But, the Texans can still make a push into the playoffs and I don't see an owner canning a highly thought of HC after a playoff run.

X-Era
11-22-2009, 10:24 AM
One more thing, if anyone thinks one of the big namers gets turned off about Buff because he wasn't our first choice... Maybe the Bills knew Cowher was unwilling to meet until after the season is over. So, it isnt that Shanny was our top pick, only the first (actually second) guy we talked to... I dont think we have ranked the coaches yet... just MO.

This HC thing is really intriguing, there's tons of layers to it.

Ill be happy if we land a big namer... if not, I may be more pissed than ever for all the reasons that HH and DB mentioned.

X-Era
11-22-2009, 10:27 AM
Count Mooch out... He threw us under the bus and then hoped in the drivers seat as he ran us over:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/11/22/mariucci-rips-firing-of-jauron/

X-Era
11-22-2009, 10:30 AM
Shefter says we are going HARD after Shanny and may do everything we can to not let him leave unsigned... so much for the Rooney Rule prevents a mid-season signing issue I guess.

Also said we contacted Holmgren.

Also says Charlie Weiss is on our radar--- EWWW!!!

Mort says Chris Polian may be a possibility for GM.

Michael82
11-22-2009, 10:39 AM
Shefter says we are going HARD after Shanny and may do everything we can to not let him leave unsigned... so much for the Rooney Rule prevents a mid-season signing issue I guess.

WOW! Looks like Ralph is pissed and wants to do everything possible to fix this mess before he dies. It's about time! :bf1:

Michael82
11-22-2009, 10:41 AM
I still wonder if that rumor from John DiTullio is true. It makes sense. Some people compared Brian Brohm to John Elway and maybe Shanahan saw something in him and wants a young QB here to develop before he signs...

X-Era
11-22-2009, 10:42 AM
I still wonder if that rumor from John DiTullio is true. It makes sense. Some people compared Brian Brohm to John Elway and maybe Shanahan saw something in him and wants a young QB here to develop before he signs...

Didnt see it.

X-Era
11-22-2009, 10:45 AM
Found it:

http://twitter.com/JohnDitullio

Interesting!!!!! Th is thing may be closer than anyone is hearing if thats true! Why would we sign a guy because Shanny told us to if we werent willing to do anything Shanny wanted. I think its a solid overture that the Bills are willing to allow Mike to run the show.

Michael82
11-22-2009, 10:46 AM
Didnt see it.

It was buried in that other Shanahan thread. John DiTullio posted this on his twitter account....

I was told today by a source that Shanahan encouraged the Bills to sign Brian Brohm away from the Packers. More on this at 3:00 at WHTK.com

Luisito23
11-22-2009, 10:53 AM
I have such a good feeling about us landing Shanny, and I could care less what those idiots from the media think. Watch us make them eat their ignorant words!

Michael82
11-22-2009, 10:56 AM
I have such a good feeling about us landing Shanny, and I could care less what those idiots from the media think. Watch us make them eat their ignorant words!

I would love to see all these morons on ESPN and on the radio if the Bills end of signing Mike Shanahan. It would be hilarious to see them eat their words.

X-Era
11-22-2009, 11:01 AM
They will just say were desperate and that its likely to all blow up in our face. They wont give us much credit.

PECKERWOOD
11-22-2009, 12:02 PM

I would LOVE Weiss here as an OC, that would be a miracle to land Weiss and Shanahan. I'd be okay with leaving Fewell at DC if we landed those two and Shanahan was cool with it.

X-Era
11-23-2009, 08:26 AM
Pro Football Weekly says Cowher is in the mix, and says one league insider calls him a "fit".

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2009/11/23/lowly-bills-thinking-big-for-2010

LarryBoy
11-23-2009, 11:20 AM
Found it:

Interesting!!!!! Th is thing may be closer than anyone is hearing if thats true! Why would we sign a guy because Shanny told us to if we werent willing to do anything Shanny wanted. I think its a solid overture that the Bills are willing to allow Mike to run the show.

This is very encouraging! :pray:

RockStar36
11-23-2009, 11:36 AM
I don't understand it but I guess I'm looking at it from a slanted view because I'm a Bills fan.

Why are the Texans a more attractive choice again? Unless his son stays on and he wants to work with his old coaches and family, I don't see how that franchise is any more attractive than the Bills.

Sure the Cowboys and Redskins are bigger markets, but with bigger markets comes more pressure and less time to build a winner.

And what does the stadium have to do with anything? If anything from what I've heard, the Bills actually maintain home field advantage while several of the new stadiums gave that up for luxury boxes and suites.

Again, maybe I'm looking at it wrong, but I don't fully understand it.

Typ0
11-23-2009, 11:39 AM
Because the Texans have a quarterback...

I don't understand it but I guess I'm looking at it from a slanted view because I'm a Bills fan.

Why are the Texans a more attractive choice again? Unless his son stays on and he wants to work with his old coaches and family, I don't see how that franchise is any more attractive than the Bills.

Sure the Cowboys and Redskins are bigger markets, but with bigger markets comes more pressure and less time to build a winner.

And what does the stadium have to do with anything? If anything from what I've heard, the Bills actually maintain home field advantage while several of the new stadiums gave that up for luxury boxes and suites.

X-Era
11-23-2009, 11:49 AM

QB only, but why fire Kubiak when hes starting to turn the corner?

And meddling pain in the ass owners

I dont see it either

Michael82
11-23-2009, 01:49 PM
Pro Football Weekly says Cowher is in the mix, and says one league insider calls him a "fit".

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2009/11/23/lowly-bills-thinking-big-for-2010

hmmm..that would make sense as to why he was pretty quiet on the Bills yesterday in the pre-game show.

trapezeus
11-23-2009, 04:15 PM
hmmm..that would make sense as to why he was pretty quiet on the Bills yesterday in the pre-game show.

he wasn't quiet. he said he thought fewell was a possibility. He isn't coming here unless carolina really turns it around.

X-Era
11-23-2009, 05:12 PM
Jerry Sullivan was on WGR, and claims he talked to an insider who spoke with Shanahan two days before the game and he told Jerry that Mike will listen but hes not coming to Buffalo.

Now, when pressed on the issue, he really didnt hear from the guy that Mike wont come here, he simply heard that he will listen but its unlikely.

Jerry guessed that Chicago would be where Mike goes. We already talked about that possibility but there's still several things that may kill any shot at Mike for Chicago:

1) Jerry Angelo- Mike would have total control here
2) Lovie Smith- He and Jerry have hefty contracts that would still need to be covered if they get canned
3) Amount of money they may offer, maybe its not what we offer

So, when he first said it, I thought this means this is a dead deal. But, when the details came out (or lack thereof) I think Jerry just put a negative spin on what everyone has heard already.

The Bills will need to blow him away with their offer.

X-Era
11-23-2009, 05:21 PM
Heres a post from another board on this where the guy sent Shefter a message:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <tbody><tr> <td class="alt2" style="border: 1px inset ;"> Originally Posted by eregitano http://boards.buffalobills.com/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://boards.buffalobills.com/showthread.php?p=3123803#post3123803)
Do you think media reports and folks in the media who laugh at the notion of Shannahan coming to Buffalo influence Shannahan's decision to come here.

I'm thinking the guy was seriously interested and might second guess himself when all these know it alls say how bad Buffalo is. When in fact the Bills are a good coach away, from being a contender.

Shannahan could come in here get his own Qb, make his own personel decisions and not have Jerry Jones, or Synder looking over his shoulder and questioning every move.
</td> </tr> </tbody></table>
I mentioned this to Adam Shefter through twitter. I said it's upsetting with all the media laughing at Buffalo for going after the best coach.

I was just making a comment, he gave me a direct message back...

Quote:
Adam_Schefter
People shouldn't be laughing. Pay attention on this one....

X-Era
11-23-2009, 05:23 PM
Found this on Twitter from Shefter:

Bills will meet this week with former Broncos HC Mike Shanahan. Won't be easy to get him, but they're going to make it tough to turn down.

Bmax
11-23-2009, 08:43 PM
They say other teams will be more established with a proven QB, so these guys will pick those teams first.

Maybe, but maybe not. I could see the Bills and the candidate discussing the QB position and the Bills could easily tell whomever that they will be trading for a proven QB or signing one. Just because one isnt here now doesn't meant we wont get one by training camp.

Besides, who are these teams with the proven QB's that will likely fire there HC?

Browns- Quinn or Anderson? Nope.
Raiders- Russell? maybe, but hes not proven
Washington- Campbell? Nope
St. Louis- Bulger? Nope
Tampa Bay- Freeman? Nope

None are proven, so I dont know what situations are better as far as QB goes.

The Bills are playing this right to land one.

1) They are offering (supposedly) complete control of the Football Operations side
2) They are willing to pay whatever it takes

They say the big name teams will get these guys. Again, maybe, maybe not. These guys want to be the kings of the football operations side. Who would want to deal with Snyder, Jerry Jones, or Al Davis? St Louis? sure, but we have better talent. The Browns? They seem to be hell bent on getting a GM, what big namer will want to go under some GM's thumb?

I think our supposed willingness to pay puts us right up there with anyone else. This team isn't as bad as several that may be looking for new HC's.

I think we have a decent chance at landing a big namer.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/11/21/report-bills-had-back-channel-communications-only-with-gruden/
http://www.buffalonews.com/452/story/867934.html
http://www.buffalonews.com/452/story/866323.html
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/11/21/florio-king-talk-future-for-browns-and-bills/

St. Louis and Tampa are not firing their coaches... Shanahan will end up in Chicago if the bears fire Lovie and eat his huge contract...

X-Era
11-23-2009, 08:45 PM
St. Louis and Tampa are not firing their coaches... Shanahan will end up in Chicago if the bears fire Lovie and eat his huge contract...

They are firing Jerry Angelo too and eating his big contract as well? Or is Shanny turning down total control here to be under Angelo's thumb in Chicago?

Bmax
11-23-2009, 08:49 PM
Jerry Sullivan was on WGR, and claims he talked to an insider who spoke with Shanahan two days before the game and he told Jerry that Mike will listen but hes not coming to Buffalo.

Now, when pressed on the issue, he really didnt hear from the guy that Mike wont come here, he simply heard that he will listen but its unlikely.

Jerry guessed that Chicago would be where Mike goes. We already talked about that possibility but there's still several things that may kill any shot at Mike for Chicago:

2) Lovie Smith- He and Jerry have hefty contracts that would still need to be covered if they get canned

So, when he first said it, I thought this means this is a dead deal. But, when the details came out (or lack thereof) I think Jerry just put a negative spin on what everyone has heard already.

Jerry is Mr. Negative.. He has been wrong many times...

I just remember last NCAA tourney season when he picked Duke to go the Final Four..LOL ok so he may not know college b-ball but his being negative all the time about the Bills leaves us to question his judgement...and his objectivity..

Bmax

X-Era
11-23-2009, 08:51 PM
Jerry is Mr. Negative.. He has been wrong many times...

I just remember last NCAA tourney season when he picked Duke to go the Final Four..LOL ok so he may not know college b-ball but his being negative all the time about the Bills leaves us to question his judgement...and his objectivity..

Bmax

I didnt give him credit for either, just his ability to understand a coherent sentence from a guy who supposedly knows something.

Hes a tool

Im sticking with Shefter and he seems to think Shanahan is serious.

Goobylal
11-23-2009, 09:22 PM

I can see the Bears firing Angelo. But would Shanahan want to work with Cutler again?