PDA

View Full Version : Tim Graham: Wilson will spend $10 million on coach

patmoran2006
11-22-2009, 01:20 PM
All I can say is wow.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/6745/report-wilson-ready-to-spend-10-mil

Nighthawk
11-22-2009, 01:24 PM
He mentions the stadium the Jets are building and the Bills lack of new facilities...trust me, if the team is to stay in Buffalo, they're going to get a new stadium. The new coach will be a big part of getting that done and so would a winning product.

TacklingDummy
11-22-2009, 01:26 PM
Maybe its coach/GM.

Mike Holgrem.

kernowboy
11-22-2009, 01:27 PM
I'd rather $5m on a top GM and $5m on an aggressive Head Coach, experienced or not.

Do we need an expensive stadium with all the bells and whistles or a cheaper, more basic design that would still be a massive upgrade. Rather than waste millions on new designs, dust off an old design and copy it.

X-Era
11-22-2009, 01:29 PM
Does money talk?

If so, were going to land that big name HC.

Jeff1220
11-22-2009, 01:30 PM
He said they'd spend $10million, but he he probably meant it would be over 10 years.

Lexwhat
11-22-2009, 01:32 PM
I think it's pretty clear that Wilson wants to win before it's "too late" for him.

$10 million would be the highest paid coach in the league (at the moment).

DraftBoy
11-22-2009, 01:33 PM
Who cares? Throwing out figures means nothing if you can't get the guys signature on the dotted line.

Nighthawk
11-22-2009, 01:33 PM
I'd rather $5m on a top GM and $5m on an aggressive Head Coach, experienced or not.

Do we need an expensive stadium with all the bells and whistles or a cheaper, more basic design that would still be a massive upgrade. Rather than waste millions on new designs, dust off an old design and copy it.

They need a stadium that is up to date and players want to play in...this matters. The Ralph is a dump and has some of the smallest lockerrooms and crappiest facilities in the NFL. The Bills need a new stadium.

X-Era
11-22-2009, 01:34 PM
Who cares? Throwing out figures means nothing if you can't get the guys signature on the dotted line.

Throwing out figures like that may get the guy to sign on the bottom line... thats the point IMO.

Michael82
11-22-2009, 01:36 PM
They need a stadium that is up to date and players want to play in...this matters. The Ralph is a dump and has some of the smallest lockerrooms and crappiest facilities in the NFL. The Bills need a new stadium.

The Bills have a nice locker room. It's not tiny. Didn't it get remodeled during the big remodeling of the stadium in 1999?

Nighthawk
11-22-2009, 01:38 PM
The Bills have a nice locker room. It's not tiny. Didn't it get remodeled during the big remodeling of the stadium in 1999?

It is one of the smallest in the NFL...you can't defend the fact that their facilities are some of the worst in the NFL. It matters to players...

Don't Panic
11-22-2009, 01:40 PM
This is all going to come down to how convincing Ralph is that he is serious about spending enough to stay competitive. He can't go off his track record, so there is going to be a huge amount of trust on the part of any big name being offered the job.

DraftBoy
11-22-2009, 01:41 PM
Throwing out figures like that may get the guy to sign on the bottom line... thats the point IMO.

Who? No big name guy is going to go just for money. They have plenty of that. They want personnel control, they want money to sign top flight assitants, they want commitment to the team through facilities and willingness to pay big signing bonuses to FA's.

We've already seen what has been made clear to us in regards to Shanny. He wants a 100% commitment to winning SB. Not just a big pay check.

kernowboy
11-22-2009, 01:44 PM
http://bigliettiseriea.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/allianz_arena_35.jpgThe Allianz Arena in Munich - 66,000 to 69,000

$500m

X-Era
11-22-2009, 01:45 PM
Who? No big name guy is going to go just for money. They have plenty of that. They want personnel control, they want money to sign top flight assitants, they want commitment to the team through facilities and willingness to pay big signing bonuses to FA's.

We've already seen what has been made clear to us in regards to Shanny. He wants a 100% commitment to winning SB. Not just a big pay check.

Were in screaming agreement.

Note the use of the term "may"

I think Ralph and Russ sell to Mike that they are indeed serious. And then if your paying 10 mill per, our chances to land one of these guys gets much much better.

MikeInRoch
11-22-2009, 01:51 PM
Ahhh, but is that $10 Mil/year? Or $10 Mil for maybe 5 years for some scrub?

X-Era
11-22-2009, 01:53 PM
Ahhh, but is that $10 Mil/year? Or $10 Mil for maybe 5 years for some scrub?

Its per, no one would use Shanahan and 2 mill per in the same sentence/stanza/paragraph/article.

Ingtar33
11-22-2009, 01:59 PM
Its per, no one would use Shanahan and 2 mill per in the same sentence/stanza/paragraph/article.

yeah.. shanny is getting paid something like 5 or 6 mil a year for the next few years just to sit home and do nothing. he'll not give that money up unless he's getting a raise.

MikeInRoch
11-22-2009, 02:03 PM
I know. I'm just looking for some way that the comments from Ralph make sense. ;)

Michael82
11-22-2009, 02:07 PM
It is one of the smallest in the NFL...you can't defend the fact that their facilities are some of the worst in the NFL. It matters to players...

I was in it for the draft party. It didnt seem that small. And had nice wood lockers. It looked pretty cool. :up:

trapezeus
11-22-2009, 02:08 PM
the bills facilities aren't the worst. i don't see a stadium being a big deal. the patriots aren't overspending on bills. there seems to be players who want to be on a winner. if we can create a winner, perhapsthe player costs come down and we roll with young players.

stadium has nothing to do with recruiting people. we aren't that far behind other facilities.

Mahdi
11-22-2009, 02:10 PM
I have heard from LaCanfora on Gameday Morning (NFLN) that the Bills will struggle to hire a BIG NAME coach because we have no good QB and any experienced coach that comes in will want to succeed right away.

However I see that fact that we dont have an established QB a positive in a way because the new coach will get to shape the offense and the new QB the way he wants instead of trying to fit an established QB into his offense.

Just a thought.

Ingtar33
11-22-2009, 02:13 PM
if we get a new stadium I'd love to see something downtown, on the waterfront... open air with a grass field. If they're just going to build a dome they can build it anywhere... but if they're going to build on the waterfront I'd like it to be open air, with a grass field.

i'd prefer an open air stadium in general. i think dome teams are soft, and play poorly outdoors (and with the rest of the AFCE outdoors i'd hate to be the wimp team that plays indoors)

YardRat
11-22-2009, 02:15 PM
I see the QB situation as a plus also.

A new stadium is a pipe dream...it isn't going to happen, and it shouldn't.

BertSquirtgum
personally, i like the ralph. if the facilities are that bad then remodel them.

trapezeus
i just don't see where new stadium money is coming, and i don't see the area paying up on tickets fora new stadium. are you willing to pay two times the amount for your seats for same crap product?

X-Era
11-22-2009, 02:17 PM
i just don't see where new stadium money is coming, and i don't see the area paying up on tickets fora new stadium. are you willing to pay two times the amount for your seats for same crap product?

Are you willing to pay two times the amount for a perpetual playoff team under a HC with a SB ring?

trapezeus
11-22-2009, 02:27 PM
yes...but if you build a new stadium, part of the new cost goes to paying down the debt. it won't be put into the team.

i am more than willing to pay for my seats at 2x the cost to be a superbowl team at the ralph.

a new stadium isn't going to turn around the on field product.

Michael82
11-22-2009, 02:27 PM
Are you willing to pay two times the amount for a perpetual playoff team under a HC with a SB ring?

yup

X-Era
11-22-2009, 02:29 PM
yup

Me too.

Give me a team that's relevant again and has a real shot and Ill pay what fans in NY or Dall pay.

kernowboy
11-22-2009, 02:50 PM
if we get a new stadium I'd love to see something downtown, on the waterfront... open air with a grass field. If they're just going to build a dome they can build it anywhere... but if they're going to build on the waterfront I'd like it to be open air, with a grass field.

i'd prefer an open air stadium in general. i think dome teams are soft, and play poorly outdoors (and with the rest of the AFCE outdoors i'd hate to be the wimp team that plays indoors)

Sliding Roof?

Dr. Pepper
11-22-2009, 02:58 PM
the problem with a new stadium is youre paying 500 million for a building thats used 8 times a year. 8 freakin times a year. oh wait, theyll have a few high school games there too. no thanks, we cant afford it.

Nighthawk
11-22-2009, 03:07 PM

You'll never see a football only stadium in Buffalo again. It will have to be a multi-use, dome/retractable roof, stadium to get built.

Nighthawk
11-22-2009, 03:08 PM
the problem with a new stadium is youre paying 500 million for a building thats used 8 times a year. 8 freakin times a year. oh wait, theyll have a few high school games there too. no thanks, we cant afford it.

Then you don't have a NFL team...

Nighthawk
11-22-2009, 03:08 PM
yes...but if you build a new stadium, part of the new cost goes to paying down the debt. it won't be put into the team.

i am more than willing to pay for my seats at 2x the cost to be a superbowl team at the ralph.

a new stadium isn't going to turn around the on field product.

And you WON'T have an NFL team if a new stadium isn't built...take it to the bank.

Ingtar33
11-22-2009, 03:12 PM
Sliding Roof?

they'll never open the sliding roof. How often is the skydome open? My brother lives in Arizona and he says the Cards NEVER played a game with the doom open (and the weather in Phoenix is always sunny).

I want an open air stadium with a grass field if they're going to build a new one.

Nighthawk
11-22-2009, 03:13 PM
they'll never open the sliding roof. How often is the skydome open? My brother lives in Arizona and he says the Cards NEVER played a game with the doom open (and the weather in Phoenix is always sunny).

I want an open air stadium with a grass field if they're going to build a new one.

It won't happen...doesn't make sense...a new stadium would have to be used for other things to make it fiscally reasonable.

X-Era
11-22-2009, 03:14 PM

Does the term "fork" mean a discussion about how much Ralph will spend on a new HC that is now a discussion about a new stadium?

Nighthawk
11-22-2009, 03:15 PM
Does the term "fork" mean a discussion about how much Ralph will spend on a new HC that is now a discussion about a new stadium?

Ha...ha...yeah, it's gotten off track a bit!

kernowboy
11-22-2009, 03:18 PM
the reason the Uni of Arizona stadium roof isn't open is heat related.

trapezeus
11-22-2009, 03:23 PM
the NFL isn't pushing for new stadiums because they have to pay for it. if the bills build a new stadium it has to come from ralph and nfl financing. they already paid fora couple new stadiums.

plus the sale of the team with a monster debt load will kill the team.

JD
11-22-2009, 03:23 PM

But, but... the TAILGATING IS AWESOME :rofl:

Cleve
11-22-2009, 03:29 PM

Yeah, I'll believe it when I see it. Wilson may only be saying it because he knows he'll never be able to get a coach worth that amount of money.

If he wanted to spend this amount of money, why did he wait until NOVEMBER of this year to start this chatter? He should have fired Jauron last December and started prospecting for a new coach THEN not now!

SquishDaFish
11-22-2009, 03:42 PM
Yeah, I'll believe it when I see it. Wilson may only be saying it because he knows he'll never be able to get a coach worth that amount of money.

If he wanted to spend this amount of money, why did he wait until NOVEMBER of this year to start this chatter? He should have fired Jauron last December and started prospecting for a new coach THEN not now!

Your clueless

Syderick
11-22-2009, 04:00 PM
It's not a bad stadium really. It's not the smallest nor oldest, it's about an average stadium. The problem is the with the team, not the stadium. If Ralph is willing to spend for quality coach, then it's a step in the right direction.

McBFLO
11-22-2009, 04:38 PM
The stadium is NOT the problem, but it could help turn things around. Free agents who are going from team to team will look at the team that has the really nice facilities a little longer or more seriously than the team with outdated facilities. I'm not saying it'd fix all the problems, but it could help.

On a side note, an open air stadium could be- and should be!- used more than the 8 times per year. Green Bay remodeled Lambeau and they have lots of year-round things for fans to do- restaurants, shops, etc. We should do something like that. Also, make the facility a desirable venue for concerts again, and conventions during the summer, and different sporting events like the Motorcross/Snocross stuff. I'm surprised the marketing genius hasn't been able to do more with stuff like that.

Cleve
11-22-2009, 04:41 PM
Your clueless

And what exactly is wrong with my line of reasoning?

Hell, Ralph Wilson ought to proclaim he's going to spend $100 million on a coach - or $1 billion. It could all just be pie in the sky.

If he can't get the coach because no one is available, or wants to work for an organization as poorly run as his, it's all just talk. If he signs Fewell next year for less than the league average HC salary, or dredges up another Mularkey from the bottom of the NFL barrell, the end result will be the same.

X-Era
11-22-2009, 05:37 PM
Apparently Vic Carucci said on WGR that Shanny will meet with the Bills in the next 24 to 48 hours. That Ralph and Co plan to blow Shanny away with their offer. And that they want to sign him before the end of the season.

Can anyone confirm?

BoyILuvLoznStupidly
11-22-2009, 05:51 PM
Apparently Vic Carucci said on WGR that Shanny will meet with the Bills in the next 24 to 48 hours. That Ralph and Co plan to blow Shanny away with their offer. And that they want to sign him before the end of the season.

Can anyone confirm?

I can't see any A list coach signing a contract till the end of the season. I think all theses rumors are produced because the Bills are just putting feelers out ATM. I would like them to sign a coach within the next week, but that is not going to happen.

At the end of the season they will interveiw Fewell and then move on to who they really want imo.

X-Era
11-22-2009, 05:57 PM
I can't see any A list coach signing a contract till the end of the season. I think all theses rumors are produced because the Bills are just putting feelers out ATM. I would like them to sign a coach within the next week, but that is not going to happen.

At the end of the season they will interveiw Fewell and then move on to who they really want imo.

You didn't answer my question.

I simply am asking if anyone heard Vic say that.

Nighthawk
11-22-2009, 06:18 PM
You didn't answer my question.

I simply am asking if anyone heard Vic say that.

I did...that is exactly what he said when he was on 97 Rock after the game. I hope they get it done!

SABURZFAN
11-22-2009, 07:23 PM
All I can say is wow.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/6745/report-wilson-ready-to-spend-10-mil

is that a two or three year contract?

JD
11-22-2009, 07:30 PM

Maybe he awoke from his coma to realize that he'll kick the bucket soon with his prized franchise never winning the big game?

JD
11-22-2009, 07:31 PM
It's not a bad stadium really. It's not the smallest nor oldest, it's about an average stadium. The problem is the with the team, not the stadium. If Ralph is willing to spend for quality coach, then it's a step in the right direction.
3rd oldest facility I billieve.

JD
11-22-2009, 07:32 PM

Why not get a jump on next season? Get to know the players, fire all the personnel etc.

Demon
11-22-2009, 07:40 PM

Can anyone confirm?

Russ Brandon is known as a marketing guru... and when he and Ralph meet with Shanahan, we'll need his marketing brilliance more then ever. Hopefully he can market our club to him that Shanahan has a tough time rejecting us.

BoyILuvLoznStupidly
11-22-2009, 07:57 PM
Why not get a jump on next season? Get to know the players, fire all the personnel etc.

They (the coaches) are in the position that they can wait for more options to come up, that's why they're called A list. And the Bills are getting a jump by talking to these coaches and getting a feel of what it will take to sign one before any other team. Don't get me wrong, I would love to see it happen, but I think we will have to wait till the end of the season and hope Ralph is serious about spending the money.

Michael82
11-23-2009, 12:49 AM

Can anyone confirm?
I love this! :pray:

BuffaloBlitz83
11-23-2009, 01:20 AM
Offering Shanny 8 Million per year will get it done. I believe he gets 6 Million right now to do nothing. So it has to be higher than that, otherwise he'd lose more money to return to coaching. I think an extra 2 Million may get him to accept.