PDA

View Full Version : Peyton Manning in 1998

imbondz
11-23-2009, 08:55 AM
Threw a league high 28 interceptions and compiled a 3-13 record.

Thank God he didn't play for the Bills because we would have benched him and then ultimately replaced him.

I'm not saying Trent is Peyton. But i'm saying over the past 10 years, we give a new QB one year to produce, sometimes not even 16 full games, before we start thinking about moving on. Once a seed of doubt is put in a QB, you can forget them getting their confidence back.

Eli Manning's W/L
Year 1 = 1-6
Year 2 = 11-5
Year 3 = 8-8

If he played for the Bills, he wouldn't have made it out of his first year, or he would have been benched his 3rd year, and year 4 would have never happened.

trapezeus
11-23-2009, 09:01 AM
Regardless of trent's struggles, it seems that the bills consistently refuse to address the OL. They put trent behind the worst line in this 10 year run and expected magic.

he didn't produce, but he didn't give us any "oh, he's getting it, he needs time" moments. He gave us, "this is pretty much all he has, check down, checkdown, checkdown." The other QB's who matured through a process had moments or flashes of brillance. Those flashes of brilliance in trent disappeared after the San Diego game last year. No one knows why.

TacklingDummy
11-23-2009, 09:08 AM

He also threw 26 Touchdowns.

I want a QB who's not afraid to throw the ball.

Owen DeBoard
11-23-2009, 09:09 AM
There hasnt been a qb on this team for the last ten years that has had a good O-line, wheather its been Drew, J P, Trent, or Fitzpatrick. So im not making any excuse for Trent because when he has had time to throw the ball he still checks it down.

Philagape
11-23-2009, 09:13 AM
I disagree, Bondz. Most fans here realize most QBs need some time to develop.
Speaking for myself, I gave JPUFL and Trent until their third year playing before giving up on them. That's a reasonable time period. The few exceptions who are late bloomers do not justify waiting longer than that.

OpIv37
11-23-2009, 09:18 AM
I think you're confusing a couple of concepts here. It's not just a lack of production. It's a complete lack of progress. Both Trent and JP were give significant portions of three seasons. At the end, they looked just as bad as they did at the beginning. They never grew or developed, and I'd even say that Trent regressed.

Granted, it's not entirely their fault. They have poor coaching and played behind terrible o lines. But they never even showed improvement, and none of the qb's we dropped went on to be successful elsewhere. The problem isn't giving up on qb's. The problem is that we suck at both finding and developing talent, particularly at qb.

Philagape
11-23-2009, 09:22 AM
If a QB is the real deal, by his third year he should be finding ways to make up for the deficiencies around him and make other players look better.
But if they're still 100 percent dependent on everyone else, and everything has to be perfect for them to succeed, then they're not the answer.

yordad
11-23-2009, 09:29 AM
Oh, I guess Trent is still a rookie?

imbondz
11-23-2009, 09:33 AM
I guess my point is that we always blame the QB, but no QB would flourish in the broken system we have.

justasportsfan
11-23-2009, 09:37 AM
how many OCs and OL players have these qb's gone through?

Afer watching Fitz go for 297 yards. I can say now that Dick held this O back with his play not to lose philosophy and it affected the qb's being able to just play like football players.

Philagape
11-23-2009, 09:45 AM
I guess my point is that we always blame the QB, but no QB would flourish in the broken system we have.

But we can still see things that he alone does. We can see how he reacts to adversity, how he adjusts, and the quality of his throws and decisions.
If he's on a bad offense, then it's up to him to take advantage of the few times when he has an opportunity to make a play.
A QB has choices on every play, and even if all the choices aren't good, there are still right ones and wrong ones.

TacklingDummy
11-23-2009, 10:27 AM
Oh, I guess Trent is still a rookie?Sure why not, JP was a 4th year rookie, might as well apply that to Trent also.

djjimkelly
11-23-2009, 10:30 AM

Thank God he didn't play for the Bills because we would have benched him and then ultimately replaced him.

I'm not saying Trent is Peyton. But i'm saying over the past 10 years, we give a new QB one year to produce, sometimes not even 16 full games, before we start thinking about moving on. Once a seed of doubt is put in a QB, you can forget them getting their confidence back.

Eli Manning's W/L
Year 1 = 1-6
Year 2 = 11-5
Year 3 = 8-8

If he played for the Bills, he wouldn't have made it out of his first year, or he would have been benched his 3rd year, and year 4 would have never happened.

give it up trent was never good never a winner on any level except HS

madness
11-23-2009, 11:09 AM
Put Fitz's brain in Trent's body and I'll let Trent back on the field.

Lexwhat
11-23-2009, 11:11 AM
The Peyton Manning argument is invalid.

The guy threw for almost 4,000 yards his rookie year and threw 26 TD passes. According to NFL.com, he was only sacked 22 times.

Did you actually watch him play his rookie season?? Stats are misleading. The guy played damn good for a Rookie.

TacklingDummy
11-23-2009, 11:38 AM
The Peyton Manning argument is invalid.

The guy threw for almost 4,000 yards his rookie year and threw 26 TD passes. According to NFL.com, he was only sacked 22 times.

Did you actually watch him play his rookie season?? Stats are misleading. The guy played damn good for a Rookie.
It's amazing what can be accomplished once a team finds it's franchise QB.

kernowboy
11-23-2009, 11:40 AM
Polian had already assembled a line for him - he drafted Tarik Glenn the year before.

OpIv37
11-23-2009, 11:57 AM

It's a bit of a "chicken or the egg?" problem. This team has so many issues that it's difficult to pin it down. But when you see QB's holding the ball too long, missing reads, making bad throws, and never really improving in any of those areas over 2-3 seasons, then it's pretty clear that the QB is part of the problem.

dannyek71
11-23-2009, 11:57 AM
TE has no arm. I've said this from day 1. Look at the comparison once JP came in or fitzy came in. TE is in his 3rd year. How many games does he have over 300 yards. How many games can we look back on and say "Trent really rallied us to victory"

I can think of one. TE is NOT the answer.

trapezeus
11-23-2009, 12:09 PM
TE has no arm. I've said this from day 1. Look at the comparison once JP came in or fitzy came in. TE is in his 3rd year. How many games does he have over 300 yards. How many games can we look back on and say "Trent really rallied us to victory"

I can think of one. TE is NOT the answer.

is that arm related or not taking a shot related. i think most will tell you its not taking a shot related.

either way you are left without a QB

Mudflap1
11-23-2009, 12:13 PM

Eli Manning's W/L
Year 1 = 1-6
Year 2 = 11-5
Year 3 = 8-8

Manning also threw 26 touchdowns that year. I think I would accept that for a rookie season starting on Day 1.

Griff
11-23-2009, 12:42 PM
He also threw 26 Touchdowns.

I want a QB who's not afraid to throw the ball.

but apparently you don't care about interceptions, like turnovers mean nothing to you.

dannyek71
11-23-2009, 12:51 PM
is that arm related or not taking a shot related. i think most will tell you its not taking a shot related.

either way you are left without a QB

He doesnt take teh shots because he knows he cannot. He does not have the arm.

Ingtar33
11-23-2009, 12:56 PM

Eli Manning's W/L
Year 1 = 1-6
Year 2 = 11-5
Year 3 = 8-8

he also threw for 26 TDs and 3700 yards. (both NFL rookie records) Lets stop the "Payton Manning threw 28 ints" excuse whenever people want to make a point about a QB. Unless you ALSO expect a rookie QB to throw for 4000 yards and 26 TDs there really is no comparison.

Throw in the fact most of his INTs happened in the first few weeks (10 by week 4, 20 by week 10) and you have a clear progression from bad to good over the course of the season.

justasportsfan
11-23-2009, 01:04 PM
Difference is that both Mannings tried to throw the ball in their rookie year til present . Trent isn't trying and it's not his rookie year. He's regressed and the Mannings progressed.

mybills
11-23-2009, 01:36 PM
hey imbondz..did SABURZFAN call you a licker yet?

The Juice Is Loose
11-24-2009, 12:07 AM
It's a bit of a "chicken or the egg?" problem. This team has so many issues that it's difficult to pin it down. But when you see QB's holding the ball too long, missing reads, making bad throws, and never really improving in any of those areas over 2-3 seasons, then it's pretty clear that the QB is part of the problem.

Bledsoe did good. First year threw for 4000 yards. 2nd year, Moulds was hurt, Price was gone, line was hurt, Williams was busting.

3rd year had the team red hot going into week 16. He had a bad game vs Pitt, but who had a good game? We couldn't stop Willie 3rd String Parker to save our lives.

Bledsoe, had we given him a fair shot, would have gotten us to the playoffs. Probably in 05 when Losman sucked us outta contention.

Boomstick
11-24-2009, 12:26 AM
My dreams right now aren't of the next QB experiment that we give up on... but rather an offensive line that is actually good. I can honestly say, this has to be the worst line I've ever seen here. It's depressing really.
I don't give a rats tail who the QB is... as long as whoever it is has a good OL in front of him. Once that comes to be, good things will happen.

airdog32
11-24-2009, 01:24 AM
My dreams right now aren't of the next QB experiment that we give up on... but rather an offensive line that is actually good. I can honestly say, this has to be the worst line I've ever seen here. It's depressing really.
I don't give a rats tail who the QB is... as long as whoever it is has a good OL in front of him. Once that comes to be, good things will happen.
Argeed guys look if we would commit to the run our QB's could have time to devolp play that's in part the issue is the lack of commitment to running the football when was the last time we had a 100+ yard game? Our Line might be inexperienced but come on its the NFL you have to have some level of talent to have made it this far. The season a waste there is no benifit in trying to see if we have QB we know we dont lets start getting this Oline schooled in run blocking and take it from there.