• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • X-Era
    What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
    • Feb 2005

On the new HC, Im going out on a limb

I think Shanahan signs up this week.

The media will play the move off that we just threw a bunch of money at him and he took the money.

But heres what I think actually happens.

I think Shanahan takes the job because he knows hes competing with the rest of the big namers out there, he knows the Bills are making a serious offer, they will give him total control, and he knows that the supposedly "more attractive" jobs aren't as attractive as they look.

Im not so sure that Shanny wants to have to work with any GM, or any of these meddling owners. I think that puts SD (remember that AJ Smith basically ran Shotty out of town), Dall, Wash, and Oak right out of the mix right off the bat. BTW, I think the same applies to Cowher, Dungy, or Holmgren as well.

Thurm is on WGR and just said that very thing.

Thurm also brought up a good point and said that having a challenge with a young team and needs is something that some of these guys may like. They may not want established teams as much as they want to rebuild a squad... they like the challenge.

I think Mike is a smart guy, who will see our seriousness, see our offer, and he will realize that its a good (not great) situation, is offering a lot of money, really wants him to run it, and that the other likely spots arent going to be as good.

If Shanahan doesnt take it, I could really see Cowher taking it. The only thing that prevents Bill from taking it is geographical location. He supposedly wants to stay around where he is and where his roots are now. The Carolina job would win because of location only. The rest of the situation is very similar to Buffalo...but that also assumes that Carolina will offer as much money as we will. I think Bill just might take it.
    Last edited by X-Era; 11-23-2009, 09:34 AM.

• THATHURMANATOR
    • Jul 2002

Re: On the new HC, Im going out on a limb

That is quite a limb.....

Comment

• Pinkerton Security
      Pinkerton's son
      • Feb 2006

I hope you're right!

Comment

• X-Era
        • Feb 2005

Originally posted by THATHURMANATOR
        That is quite a limb.....
        Sometimes, I make risky calls, and Im sticking with my gut.

Comment

• justasportsfan
          • Jul 2002

can't sign unless they prove they interviewed a minority. I'll go out on a limb and say the next HC retains Fewell as DC.
          Last edited by justasportsfan; 11-23-2009, 09:36 AM.
          sacrifice1
          https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• X-Era
            • Feb 2005

i just went to wiki to look up Bill Cowher and there is speculation in there that we already signed Bill to 4 years 7.7 mill... Its total BS and I wont post it, its SPAM. I just think its funny.

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
              Zero for Zero!
              • Mar 2003

I agree and was thinking about this last night.

It would make for an interesting Fishie week!
              Originally posted by mysticsoto
              Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

• X-Era
                • Feb 2005

Originally posted by justasportsfan
                can't sign unless they prove they interviewed a minority. I'll go out on a limb and say the next HC retains Fewell as DC.
                Do you know they haven't interviewed Fewell? Or Dungy for that matter?

Comment

• elltrain22
                  • Sep 2003

I like your optimism X-era. I also believe that Shanny is gonna have a very tough time saying no to our offer.
                  If you walk with Jesus today, you don't have anything to worry about tomorrow...

Comment

• justasportsfan
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by X-Era
                    Do you know they haven't interviewed Fewell? Or Dungy for that matter?
                    Do you? I don't think he gets signed soon but I hope you are right.
                    sacrifice1
                    https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• jonah7777
                      • Aug 2005

I am not sure Fewell will stay most Coaches want there own staff and someone that Jauron thought highly of would be all the reason they need to say bye.. The bills really need to send Brandon back to selling pepsi and fire the rest of the staff as soon as possible

Comment

• X-Era
                        • Feb 2005

Originally posted by elltrain22
                        I like your optimism X-era. I also believe that Shanny is gonna have a very tough time saying no to our offer.
                        Im not saying its a sure thing, it isnt... Im home sick and have time to discuss it. So, what other spot is more attractive? Im not saying we are the most attractive, only that Id like to hear someone details why we aren't as an attractive situation.

Comment

• X-Era
                          • Feb 2005

Originally posted by justasportsfan
                          Do you? I don't think he gets signed soon but I hope you are right.
                          As Ive said, I think Ralph's conversation with Fewell, and his promotion to interim, may constitute an interview.

I dont know how anyone can say we were never interested in a minority candidate when we just promoted him to interim HC, and probably told him that he is being considered for the permanent job. Thats an interview. If it isnt, what is? A face to face over dinner? that can be handled at any time if it hasnt already.

Id love to see the rules details... does it specifically require that it must happen after the season is over? That it cant be an over the phone interview? etc... My guess, yes its a guess, is that it doesnt... its purposely vague. And then the Bills simply need to show good faith that they gave a minority an opportunity for the job. And at that point, promoting Fewell, and telling him his performance will be evaluated to determine whether he can be our next HC consitutes an interview.
                          Last edited by X-Era; 11-23-2009, 09:50 AM.

Comment

• Ed
                            Dude
                            • Sep 2002

I don't think Shanny make any decision until the season is over and he knows what jobs are available. My guess is that his first choice would be Chicago if Lovie Smith gets fired. He grew up in Chicago and they already have his qb, Cutler.

Comment

• Mike in Syracuse
                              • Jul 2002

Well we should know by Wednesday because no one in their right mind is traveling anywhere on Thursday or Friday this week.

Comment

Working...
                              X