• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pinkerton Security
    Pinkerton's son
    • Feb 2006

TMQ on Jauron..

Sweet 'N' Sour Play: It's cheerio to Dick "Cheerio, Chaps" Jauron. What in tarnation was the point of retaining Cheerio Chaps last offseason only to fire him midway through this season -- did Buffalo management suddenly discover that he was Dick Jauron? Buffalo's recent blown first-round draft picks (J.P. Losman, Mike Williams, John McCargo, Donte Whitner, perhaps Aaron Maybin) and disastrous player-management decisions (megabucks for Langston Walker, who two years later was waived and out of the league, while Jason Peters, Pat Williams, Jim Leonhard, Mario Haggan, Justin Bannan and Jabari Greer were shown the door and all are now starters for better teams than the Bills) were front-office decisions, not head coach decisions.
    Anyway, trailing 10-9 at Jacksonville, Buffalo was pinned on its own 2-yard line. Harvard alum Ryan Fitzpatrick was at quarterback (and maybe a little extra fired up because Harvard beat Yale the day before). He came to the line and saw no safety "above" Terrell Owens (no safety on Owens' side of the field). Fitzpatrick audibled to a fly pattern for Owens, and completed a 98-yard touchdown pass, which was sweet. Sour was the fact that cornerback Tyron Brackenridge was playing 10 yards off the line and retreating at the snap, yet still got burned deep. Sour also was the fact that the Jax defense did not respect Fitzpatrick's arm -- Jax probably thought no Harvard boy could throw that far.

Note 1: Though Owens caught nine passes for 197 yards, he dropped a pass that would have put Buffalo in field goal range in the closing seconds. Note 2: Rather than "hut, hut," Fitzpatrick uses a cadence of "pip, pip."

This season, 11 of the NFL's top 12 passing teams have winning records. Coincidence? No way.

Love how he now makes fun of Fitzy by using the "pip, pip" thing bc it cracks me up how he calls him Dick "Cheerio, Chaps" Jauron. Good point though, our FO did make some horrific decisions, who knows if a better coach would have made much of a difference.

• psubills62
    Legendary Zoner
    • Sep 2008

Re: TMQ on Jauron..

I'll tell you what, I'll give our FO credit for building great depth in the secondary. Every starter in the secondary has been injured and out for extended periods of time, but we really haven't seen too much dropoff in the pass defense.

Beyond that, they need to get a HECK of a lot better in drafting first-rounders, especially along the lines.
    "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
    - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• Pinkerton Security
      Pinkerton's son
      • Feb 2006

Originally posted by psubills62
      I'll tell you what, I'll give our FO credit for building great depth in the secondary. Every starter in the secondary has been injured and out for extended periods of time, but we really haven't seen too much dropoff in the pass defense.

Beyond that, they need to get a HECK of a lot better in drafting first-rounders, especially along the lines.
      Yeah, i think they took 2 small steps in the right direction with Wood and Levitre, who both seem to be at worst just average starters in the NFL with the possibility of being very, very good.

Comment

• Typ0
        honey pie
        • Jul 2002

are you kidding me? They drafted 47 DBs in the last five drafts and you are praising them for that?

Comment

• psubills62
          Legendary Zoner
          • Sep 2008

Originally posted by pinkdogg32
          Yeah, i think they took 2 small steps in the right direction with Wood and Levitre, who both seem to be at worst just average starters in the NFL with the possibility of being very, very good.
          I loved those picks. If they drafted all top OL like that, I would have liked to see them draft OT's and C's in earlier drafts.

It's unfortunate when we have to trade multiple picks to get a guy (Stroud) who becomes what we hoped our previous first-round draft pick would be. So basically, we wasted a first, a third, and a fifth round pick in getting a decent DT.

I think it would be better if Buffalo drafted like New York. They had Strahan, Umenyiora, and Tuck...but still drafted Mathias Kiwanuka. Then they had Umenyiora, Tuck, Kiwanuka, Rocky Bernard, and Michael Boley, but still drafted a guy who is a strong blitzing LB this year in Clint Sintim. Then they drafted William Beatty, OL in the second round, even when their OL, one of the best in the league, had been together for something like 40 straight games.

If your defense is predicated on a pass rush, then there is no limit to the number of pass rushers you should draft. Draft 3 or 4 DE's in one year if you have to. Draft for depth along the lines.

That's my opinion.
          - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• Typ0
            honey pie
            • Jul 2002

From what I'm reading, if only we had Mike Shanahan we'd have won back to back superbowls sometime in the last ten years.

Sweet 'N' Sour Play: It's cheerio to Dick "Cheerio, Chaps" Jauron. What in tarnation was the point of retaining Cheerio Chaps last offseason only to fire him midway through this season -- did Buffalo management suddenly discover that he was Dick Jauron? Buffalo's recent blown first-round draft picks (J.P. Losman, Mike Williams, John McCargo, Donte Whitner, perhaps Aaron Maybin) and disastrous player-management decisions (megabucks for Langston Walker, who two years later was waived and out of the league, while Jason Peters, Pat Williams, Jim Leonhard, Mario Haggan, Justin Bannan and Jabari Greer were shown the door and all are now starters for better teams than the Bills) were front-office decisions, not head coach decisions.
            Anyway, trailing 10-9 at Jacksonville, Buffalo was pinned on its own 2-yard line. Harvard alum Ryan Fitzpatrick was at quarterback (and maybe a little extra fired up because Harvard beat Yale the day before). He came to the line and saw no safety "above" Terrell Owens (no safety on Owens' side of the field). Fitzpatrick audibled to a fly pattern for Owens, and completed a 98-yard touchdown pass, which was sweet. Sour was the fact that cornerback Tyron Brackenridge was playing 10 yards off the line and retreating at the snap, yet still got burned deep. Sour also was the fact that the Jax defense did not respect Fitzpatrick's arm -- Jax probably thought no Harvard boy could throw that far.

Note 1: Though Owens caught nine passes for 197 yards, he dropped a pass that would have put Buffalo in field goal range in the closing seconds. Note 2: Rather than "hut, hut," Fitzpatrick uses a cadence of "pip, pip."

This season, 11 of the NFL's top 12 passing teams have winning records. Coincidence? No way.

Love how he now makes fun of Fitzy by using the "pip, pip" thing bc it cracks me up how he calls him Dick "Cheerio, Chaps" Jauron. Good point though, our FO did make some horrific decisions, who knows if a better coach would have made much of a difference.

Comment

• psubills62
              Legendary Zoner
              • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Typ0
              are you kidding me? They drafted 47 DBs in the last five drafts and you are praising them for that?
              No. I'm giving them credit for building up very good depth in one area. Think of it as me giving them a grade of A in one area, but D's and F's in others.
              - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• yordad
                • Dec 2007

Walker isn't out of the league.
                "Heck, now I am glad his overrated arce made the pro bowl, else we would have only got a 3rd." ~ yordad

"I've just been hit with a piece of sky. " ~ yordad

"Forgive my opinion, but...." ~ yordad

"Warning: I might be hammered." ~ yordad

"I don't care if the word is "your" or "you're", so buzz off. Its (it's) a frickin(') message board." ~ yordad

Comment

• Typ0
                  honey pie
                  • Jul 2002

No. I'm giving them credit for building up very good depth in one area. Think of it as me giving them a grade of A in one area, but D's and F's in others.

well they shouldn't get credit for wasting so many draft picks on that area. Of course they are going to be strong there. They need to get the same depth with 1/3 the amount of picks so other areas don't suffer as much.

Comment

• patmoran2006
                    Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                    • Dec 2005

This is what i honestly hate about non-local writers who actually watch entire games.

If you didnt see the game and just read this, you'd think T.O. dropped a pass in his chest at the end of the game. It was a terrible throw that was high, in large part because the OL broke down.

Haters

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• Stewie
                      Sarah Palin for President... of my pants!
                      • Aug 2002

I loved those picks. If they drafted all top OL like that, I would have liked to see them draft OT's and C's in earlier drafts.

It's unfortunate when we have to trade multiple picks to get a guy (Stroud) who becomes what we hoped our previous first-round draft pick would be. So basically, we wasted a first, a third, and a fifth round pick in getting a decent DT.

I think it would be better if Buffalo drafted like New York. They had Strahan, Umenyiora, and Tuck...but still drafted Mathias Kiwanuka. Then they had Umenyiora, Tuck, Kiwanuka, Rocky Bernard, and Michael Boley, but still drafted a guy who is a strong blitzing LB this year in Clint Sintim. Then they drafted William Beatty, OL in the second round, even when their OL, one of the best in the league, had been together for something like 40 straight games.

If your defense is predicated on a pass rush, then there is no limit to the number of pass rushers you should draft. Draft 3 or 4 DE's in one year if you have to. Draft for depth along the lines.

That's my opinion.
                      Totally agree with this. What you're basically saying when your lines are built, when you can protect your qb, run the ball, and get to the other guys passer, you will be good.

Over a five year span, a team normally has ten first and second round picks. Between half and three quarters of those should be OL and DL, IMO
                      Originally posted by Topdog
                      Damn , your're showing you're ignorance!
                      Originally posted by mercyrule
                      I love Weiner.
                      Originally posted by mercyrule
                      also cheese

Comment

• Ickybaluky
                        • Jul 2003

Originally posted by yordad
                        Walker isn't out of the league.
                        Well... he is playing in Oakland. That's pretty close.

Comment

• trapezeus
                          Legendary Zoner
                          • Oct 2004

Originally posted by patmoran2006
                          This is what i honestly hate about non-local writers who actually watch entire games.

If you didnt see the game and just read this, you'd think T.O. dropped a pass in his chest at the end of the game. It was a terrible throw that was high, in large part because the OL broke down.

Haters
                          Gregg Easterbrook is originally from Kenmore and a bills fan.

i know that this throw was wildly over thrown, but still, he roots the bills on and was one of the few guys to call jauron out

Comment

• billsburgh
                            • Jul 2003

What in tarnation was the point of retaining Cheerio Chaps last offseason only to fire him midway through this season -- did Buffalo management suddenly discover that he was Dick Jauron?

Comment

• Pinkerton Security
                              Pinkerton's son
                              • Feb 2006

Originally posted by patmoran2006

Haters
                              i actually thought TO badly mis-timed his jump and might have had a shot at the catch if he hadnt done so...however yes it is a misleading sentence, but as trapezeus pointed our Easterbrook is from Western NY and is a Bills fan.

Comment

Working...
                              X