PDA

View Full Version : TMQ on Jauron..

Pinkerton Security
11-24-2009, 01:22 PM
Sweet 'N' Sour Play: It's cheerio to Dick "Cheerio, Chaps" Jauron. What in tarnation was the point of retaining Cheerio Chaps last offseason only to fire him midway through this season -- did Buffalo management suddenly discover that he was Dick Jauron? Buffalo's recent blown first-round draft picks (J.P. Losman, Mike Williams, John McCargo, Donte Whitner, perhaps Aaron Maybin) and disastrous player-management decisions (megabucks for Langston Walker, who two years later was waived and out of the league, while Jason Peters, Pat Williams, Jim Leonhard, Mario Haggan, Justin Bannan and Jabari Greer were shown the door and all are now starters for better teams than the Bills) were front-office decisions, not head coach decisions.
Anyway, trailing 10-9 at Jacksonville, Buffalo was pinned on its own 2-yard line. Harvard alum Ryan Fitzpatrick was at quarterback (and maybe a little extra fired up because Harvard beat Yale the day before). He came to the line and saw no safety "above" Terrell Owens (no safety on Owens' side of the field). Fitzpatrick audibled to a fly pattern for Owens, and completed a 98-yard touchdown pass, which was sweet. Sour was the fact that cornerback Tyron Brackenridge was playing 10 yards off the line and retreating at the snap, yet still got burned deep. Sour also was the fact that the Jax defense did not respect Fitzpatrick's arm -- Jax probably thought no Harvard boy could throw that far.

(http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=easterbrook/091124&sportCat=nfl&POLL454=10000#)

Note 1: Though Owens caught nine passes for 197 yards, he dropped a pass that would have put Buffalo in field goal range in the closing seconds. Note 2: Rather than "hut, hut," Fitzpatrick uses a cadence of "pip, pip."

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=easterbrook/091124&sportCat=nfl&POLL454=10000

Love how he now makes fun of Fitzy by using the "pip, pip" thing bc it cracks me up how he calls him Dick "Cheerio, Chaps" Jauron. Good point though, our FO did make some horrific decisions, who knows if a better coach would have made much of a difference.

psubills62
11-24-2009, 01:25 PM
I'll tell you what, I'll give our FO credit for building great depth in the secondary. Every starter in the secondary has been injured and out for extended periods of time, but we really haven't seen too much dropoff in the pass defense.

Beyond that, they need to get a HECK of a lot better in drafting first-rounders, especially along the lines.

Pinkerton Security
11-24-2009, 01:26 PM
I'll tell you what, I'll give our FO credit for building great depth in the secondary. Every starter in the secondary has been injured and out for extended periods of time, but we really haven't seen too much dropoff in the pass defense.

Beyond that, they need to get a HECK of a lot better in drafting first-rounders, especially along the lines.

Yeah, i think they took 2 small steps in the right direction with Wood and Levitre, who both seem to be at worst just average starters in the NFL with the possibility of being very, very good.

Typ0
11-24-2009, 01:31 PM

are you kidding me? They drafted 47 DBs in the last five drafts and you are praising them for that?

psubills62
11-24-2009, 01:32 PM
Yeah, i think they took 2 small steps in the right direction with Wood and Levitre, who both seem to be at worst just average starters in the NFL with the possibility of being very, very good.

I loved those picks. If they drafted all top OL like that, I would have liked to see them draft OT's and C's in earlier drafts.

It's unfortunate when we have to trade multiple picks to get a guy (Stroud) who becomes what we hoped our previous first-round draft pick would be. So basically, we wasted a first, a third, and a fifth round pick in getting a decent DT.

I think it would be better if Buffalo drafted like New York. They had Strahan, Umenyiora, and Tuck...but still drafted Mathias Kiwanuka. Then they had Umenyiora, Tuck, Kiwanuka, Rocky Bernard, and Michael Boley, but still drafted a guy who is a strong blitzing LB this year in Clint Sintim. Then they drafted William Beatty, OL in the second round, even when their OL, one of the best in the league, had been together for something like 40 straight games.

If your defense is predicated on a pass rush, then there is no limit to the number of pass rushers you should draft. Draft 3 or 4 DE's in one year if you have to. Draft for depth along the lines.

That's my opinion.

Typ0
11-24-2009, 01:32 PM
From what I'm reading, if only we had Mike Shanahan we'd have won back to back superbowls sometime in the last ten years.

Sweet 'N' Sour Play: It's cheerio to Dick "Cheerio, Chaps" Jauron. What in tarnation was the point of retaining Cheerio Chaps last offseason only to fire him midway through this season -- did Buffalo management suddenly discover that he was Dick Jauron? Buffalo's recent blown first-round draft picks (J.P. Losman, Mike Williams, John McCargo, Donte Whitner, perhaps Aaron Maybin) and disastrous player-management decisions (megabucks for Langston Walker, who two years later was waived and out of the league, while Jason Peters, Pat Williams, Jim Leonhard, Mario Haggan, Justin Bannan and Jabari Greer were shown the door and all are now starters for better teams than the Bills) were front-office decisions, not head coach decisions.
Anyway, trailing 10-9 at Jacksonville, Buffalo was pinned on its own 2-yard line. Harvard alum Ryan Fitzpatrick was at quarterback (and maybe a little extra fired up because Harvard beat Yale the day before). He came to the line and saw no safety "above" Terrell Owens (no safety on Owens' side of the field). Fitzpatrick audibled to a fly pattern for Owens, and completed a 98-yard touchdown pass, which was sweet. Sour was the fact that cornerback Tyron Brackenridge was playing 10 yards off the line and retreating at the snap, yet still got burned deep. Sour also was the fact that the Jax defense did not respect Fitzpatrick's arm -- Jax probably thought no Harvard boy could throw that far.

(http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=easterbrook/091124&sportCat=nfl&POLL454=10000#)

Note 1: Though Owens caught nine passes for 197 yards, he dropped a pass that would have put Buffalo in field goal range in the closing seconds. Note 2: Rather than "hut, hut," Fitzpatrick uses a cadence of "pip, pip."

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=easterbrook/091124&sportCat=nfl&POLL454=10000

Love how he now makes fun of Fitzy by using the "pip, pip" thing bc it cracks me up how he calls him Dick "Cheerio, Chaps" Jauron. Good point though, our FO did make some horrific decisions, who knows if a better coach would have made much of a difference.

psubills62
11-24-2009, 01:50 PM
are you kidding me? They drafted 47 DBs in the last five drafts and you are praising them for that?

No. I'm giving them credit for building up very good depth in one area. Think of it as me giving them a grade of A in one area, but D's and F's in others.

yordad
11-24-2009, 01:52 PM
Walker isn't out of the league.

Typ0
11-24-2009, 01:54 PM
No. I'm giving them credit for building up very good depth in one area. Think of it as me giving them a grade of A in one area, but D's and F's in others.

well they shouldn't get credit for wasting so many draft picks on that area. Of course they are going to be strong there. They need to get the same depth with 1/3 the amount of picks so other areas don't suffer as much.

patmoran2006
11-24-2009, 01:55 PM

This is what i honestly hate about non-local writers who actually watch entire games.

If you didnt see the game and just read this, you'd think T.O. dropped a pass in his chest at the end of the game. It was a terrible throw that was high, in large part because the OL broke down.

Haters

Stewie
11-24-2009, 02:05 PM
I loved those picks. If they drafted all top OL like that, I would have liked to see them draft OT's and C's in earlier drafts.

It's unfortunate when we have to trade multiple picks to get a guy (Stroud) who becomes what we hoped our previous first-round draft pick would be. So basically, we wasted a first, a third, and a fifth round pick in getting a decent DT.

I think it would be better if Buffalo drafted like New York. They had Strahan, Umenyiora, and Tuck...but still drafted Mathias Kiwanuka. Then they had Umenyiora, Tuck, Kiwanuka, Rocky Bernard, and Michael Boley, but still drafted a guy who is a strong blitzing LB this year in Clint Sintim. Then they drafted William Beatty, OL in the second round, even when their OL, one of the best in the league, had been together for something like 40 straight games.

If your defense is predicated on a pass rush, then there is no limit to the number of pass rushers you should draft. Draft 3 or 4 DE's in one year if you have to. Draft for depth along the lines.

That's my opinion.

Totally agree with this. What you're basically saying when your lines are built, when you can protect your qb, run the ball, and get to the other guys passer, you will be good.

Over a five year span, a team normally has ten first and second round picks. Between half and three quarters of those should be OL and DL, IMO

Ickybaluky
11-24-2009, 02:16 PM
Walker isn't out of the league.

Well... he is playing in Oakland. That's pretty close.

trapezeus
11-24-2009, 02:19 PM
This is what i honestly hate about non-local writers who actually watch entire games.

If you didnt see the game and just read this, you'd think T.O. dropped a pass in his chest at the end of the game. It was a terrible throw that was high, in large part because the OL broke down.

Haters

Gregg Easterbrook is originally from Kenmore and a bills fan.

i know that this throw was wildly over thrown, but still, he roots the bills on and was one of the few guys to call jauron out

billsburgh
11-24-2009, 02:27 PM
What in tarnation was the point of retaining Cheerio Chaps last offseason only to fire him midway through this season -- did Buffalo management suddenly discover that he was Dick Jauron?
:lmao:

Pinkerton Security
11-24-2009, 02:27 PM

Haters

i actually thought TO badly mis-timed his jump and might have had a shot at the catch if he hadnt done so...however yes it is a misleading sentence, but as trapezeus pointed our Easterbrook is from Western NY and is a Bills fan.

Ron Burgundy
11-24-2009, 02:28 PM

Haters

Easterbrook is actually from the Buffalo area, and is a bit of a Bills backer.

But you can ignore him anyways, because he hates Jews, science, and not being formulaic.

patmoran2006
11-24-2009, 02:31 PM
Didnt read the author, so apologize on that.

Having said that, Owens didnt DROP that pass. It was a bad throw, which was caused by a OL breakdown

psubills62
11-24-2009, 03:15 PM
well they shouldn't get credit for wasting so many draft picks on that area. Of course they are going to be strong there. They need to get the same depth with 1/3 the amount of picks so other areas don't suffer as much.

If a team went out every year and drafted OL, they'd probably have an awesome OL, but nothing else. Would it be wrong to say "hey, they have a great OL?" No. And here it's not wrong to say "hey, we have great secondary depth," because we DO. Yeah, you can knock them for plenty of other things but they've built a good secondary. Just give it up, man.

Typ0
11-24-2009, 03:24 PM
If a team went out every year and drafted OL, they'd probably have an awesome OL, but nothing else. Would it be wrong to say "hey, they have a great OL?" No. And here it's not wrong to say "hey, we have great secondary depth," because we DO. Yeah, you can knock them for plenty of other things but they've built a good secondary. Just give it up, man.

Disagree, they shouldn't get credit for predominantly drafting DBs and then building depth at DB. They should get that credit if they draft like normal organizations and then build the depth at DB. Credit means they did something well...but they didn't do it well at all they did it in a wasteful fashion. Hence, they deserve no credit.

And you didn't say we have great depth at DB you said they should get credit for that depth which they shouldn't because they drafted those positions poorly.

Crisis
11-24-2009, 03:29 PM
I had no idea Mario Haggan was starting somewhere else.

psubills62
11-24-2009, 03:43 PM
Disagree, they shouldn't get credit for predominantly drafting DBs and then building depth at DB. They should get that credit if they draft like normal organizations and then build the depth at DB. Credit means they did something well...but they didn't do it well at all they did it in a wasteful fashion. Hence, they deserve no credit.

And you didn't say we have great depth at DB you said they should get credit for that depth which they shouldn't because they drafted those positions poorly.
Byrd, Lankster, Corner, McKelvin were poor draft picks?

Disagree.

Wasteful? They drafted three DB's this year, one's on the PS, one's a starter (Byrd), and one's depth at CB. That's not wasteful. They've done a pretty good job building the secondary, as we haven't seen much dropoff in play from the first string to the second string. I'd say that's a pretty darn good job.

Just because you or anyone else may have wanted to draft other positions doesn't mean they did a crappy job building the secondary. They've got players there who can play. And even though it leaves other positions lacking doesn't mean they did a crappy job with the DB's, it means they did a crappy job with the other positions.

Sorry, I don't think they should only get credit if they follow a prescribed notion of the fans' idea of drafting. They drafted DB's. While it was more than most teams draft, they managed to find good players.

There's nothing wrong with saying they built a good secondary.

psubills62
11-24-2009, 03:46 PM
I had no idea Mario Haggan was starting somewhere else.

Denver.

psubills62
11-24-2009, 03:48 PM

You can disagree all you want, anyway. I'm giving them credit for the secondary, not for anything else. And no, I'm not counting the Marv Levy draft with Whitner/Simpson/Youboty.

billistic
11-24-2009, 03:54 PM
Anyone who can find the slightest shred of humor in anything Bills is a major dude.

Typ0
11-24-2009, 04:02 PM
20 guys in 10 years most of which are not in the league or contributing to other teams. And you are going to point to players who have hardly matured and tell me they were great draft picks. This isn't about how the fans feel about draft strategies at all and I understand what the organizations philosophy has been. If anything, you suffer from fandom claiming last years draft was so great before it even has a chance to amount to anything.

I still think they put too much effort into that area and should have gotten it done with less. I choose not to give them credit for getting what is likely one or two bonified starters out of 20 draft picks. A monkey could do that.

Byrd
Harris
Harris
Lankster

McKelvin
Corner
Cox

Wendling

Whitner
Youboty

King

McGee

Thomas
Wire

Clements
Driver
Williams

Tillman

Winfield
Hatcher

Byrd, Lankster, Corner, McKelvin were poor draft picks?

Disagree.

Wasteful? They drafted three DB's this year, one's on the PS, one's a starter (Byrd), and one's depth at CB. That's not wasteful. They've done a pretty good job building the secondary, as we haven't seen much dropoff in play from the first string to the second string. I'd say that's a pretty darn good job.

Just because you or anyone else may have wanted to draft other positions doesn't mean they did a crappy job building the secondary. They've got players there who can play. And even though it leaves other positions lacking doesn't mean they did a crappy job with the DB's, it means they did a crappy job with the other positions.

Sorry, I don't think they should only get credit if they follow a prescribed notion of the fans' idea of drafting. They drafted DB's. While it was more than most teams draft, they managed to find good players.

There's nothing wrong with saying they built a good secondary.

realdealryan
11-24-2009, 04:17 PM
Anyone that feels like defending the Bills' draft picks needs to examine what Polian's done in the same timeframe and ask yourself why you are content with NFL mediocrity. Broken record stuff, but, defending our recent rosters is ridiculous.

trapezeus
11-24-2009, 04:23 PM
whether they are right on their secondary picks or not isn't the question. the fact they leave the DL and LB so poorly staffed is why our secondary has to chip in on run support. Most teams don't pass on us when the run is getting 150+ yards a game.

If we shored up the DL and LB with credible players, we'd be able to at least deal with less DB's because they won't be getting hurt on every play.

That's shortsighted and stupid on this team's part.

Joe Fo Sho
11-24-2009, 05:30 PM
Easterbrook is actually from the Buffalo area, and is a bit of a Bills backer.

But you can ignore him anyways, because he hates Jews, science, and not being formulaic.

He hates not being formulaic??? Of all the nerve...

Ron Burgundy
11-24-2009, 08:26 PM
He hates not being formulaic??? Of all the nerve...
Good catch. We all forget to proofread now and then.

TMQ is, of course, the very definition of formulaic.

Typ0
11-24-2009, 10:07 PM
whether they are right on their secondary picks or not isn't the question. the fact they leave the DL and LB so poorly staffed is why our secondary has to chip in on run support. Most teams don't pass on us when the run is getting 150+ yards a game.

If we shored up the DL and LB with credible players, we'd be able to at least deal with less DB's because they won't be getting hurt on every play.

That's shortsighted and stupid on this team's part.

We would have a very good defense with better LBs and a run stuffer.

psubills62
11-25-2009, 10:40 AM
20 guys in 10 years most of which are not in the league or contributing to other teams. And you are going to point to players who have hardly matured and tell me they were great draft picks. This isn't about how the fans feel about draft strategies at all and I understand what the organizations philosophy has been. If anything, you suffer from fandom claiming last years draft was so great before it even has a chance to amount to anything.

I still think they put too much effort into that area and should have gotten it done with less. I choose not to give them credit for getting what is likely one or two bonified starters out of 20 draft picks. A monkey could do that.

Byrd
Harris
Harris
Lankster

McKelvin
Corner
Cox

Wendling

Whitner
Youboty

King

McGee

Thomas
Wire

Clements
Driver
Williams

Tillman

Winfield
Hatcher

Bona fide.

Yeah, one or two starters? Whitner wasn't worth the 8th pick, but he's a starting SS on most teams. Byrd hasn't proven himself yet? Gee, I guess his streak of games with an INT ended, he must be no good. Winfield, Clements, McKelvin, McGee are all BONA FIDE starters as well, whether you like to admit it or not.

It just proves how little you know that you're trying to pass that list off with only one or two legitimate starters.

And why is Nic Harris on there? He was drafted as a LB, and everyone knows that. He's not a DB here.

I never said that they were all great draft picks. I said they did a good job building the secondary, especially in terms of DEPTH. Not sure if you understand what that means.

A lot of those picks, especially in recent years, were 4th round picks or later (Corner, Wendling, Cox, Lankster, Harris). How good has this regime picked other positions in the 4th round or later? Guys like Ah You, Omon, Dwayne Wright, Alvin Bowen, etc. have been dumped at this point. I'd rather have them draft DB's that can contribute depth than other positions that will be gone in a year.

Typ0
11-25-2009, 11:21 AM
Winfield and Clements are not on the team. Byrd has looked good but still not proven he's going to stay that way. Whitner is very debatable IMO. So on your list the bonafied guys are McKelvin and McGee. That's two.

Bona fide.

Yeah, one or two starters? Whitner wasn't worth the 8th pick, but he's a starting SS on most teams. Byrd hasn't proven himself yet? Gee, I guess his streak of games with an INT ended, he must be no good. Winfield, Clements, McKelvin, McGee are all BONA FIDE starters as well, whether you like to admit it or not.

It just proves how little you know that you're trying to pass that list off with only one or two legitimate starters.

And why is Nic Harris on there? He was drafted as a LB, and everyone knows that. He's not a DB here.

I never said that they were all great draft picks. I said they did a good job building the secondary, especially in terms of DEPTH. Not sure if you understand what that means.

A lot of those picks, especially in recent years, were 4th round picks or later (Corner, Wendling, Cox, Lankster, Harris). How good has this regime picked other positions in the 4th round or later? Guys like Ah You, Omon, Dwayne Wright, Alvin Bowen, etc. have been dumped at this point. I'd rather have them draft DB's that can contribute depth than other positions that will be gone in a year.

psubills62
11-25-2009, 12:05 PM
Winfield and Clements are not on the team. Byrd has looked good but still not proven he's going to stay that way. Whitner is very debatable IMO. So on your list the bonafied guys are McKelvin and McGee. That's two.

What does it matter if they are on the team or not? So basically if they drafted All-World players but now they're on other teams, that means they didn't draft well? It still contributes to my argument that they drafted starter-quality DB's. You're the one who went back that many years, I was only talking about the past few years.

Haha, Byrd is leading the league in INT's. It's true he hasn't played in many games, but he has proven that he has the ability to be a starter, and possibly a star. I'd say that getting someone who has 8 INT's through 10 games (in their rookie season) is a pretty solid draft pick.

Typ0
11-25-2009, 12:10 PM
Players that are not on the team help us none. I'm talking about "giving them credit for drafting a good secondary". Well the secondary that is being referred to is our team isn't it? It cost us an arm and a leg and the best players/biggest contributors are not even on the team. Give it a rest OBD deserves a big fat zero right now.

What does it matter if they are on the team or not? So basically if they drafted All-World players but now they're on other teams, that means they didn't draft well? It still contributes to my argument that they drafted starter-quality DB's. You're the one who went back that many years, I was only talking about the past few years.

Haha, Byrd is leading the league in INT's. It's true he hasn't played in many games, but he has proven that he has the ability to be a starter, and possibly a star. I'd say that getting someone who has 8 INT's through 10 games (in their rookie season) is a pretty solid draft pick.

psubills62
11-25-2009, 01:04 PM
Players that are not on the team help us none. I'm talking about "giving them credit for drafting a good secondary". Well the secondary that is being referred to is our team isn't it? It cost us an arm and a leg and the best players/biggest contributors are not even on the team. Give it a rest OBD deserves a big fat zero right now.

I can't even believe how ridiculous your argument is. Well if you're only talking about our current secondary, why'd you go back so many years on the DB's? Go back that many years for any position on any team and you're bound to find multiple players who aren't on that team anymore, whether due to FA or cuts.

They've drafted well with DB's. Just because some of those players left doesn't mean they were poor draft picks. They still got good players.

And just FYI, if you're talking about our current secondary, then Byrd counts as a starter, and a good one at that.

Sorry, the FO gets a failing grade for other areas, but not the secondary.

Typ0
11-25-2009, 01:12 PM
yeah, I must be an idiot or something. I thought your point was OUR secondary was good and they get credit for drafting those guys. Then you flip around and start talking about how other peoples secondary has some bearing on how good ours is. Well, yeah it does. Not only did they make too many picks to build up that secondary they also let the best performers walk to other teams. So, I will give them credit for being idiots trying to build up a good secondary by throwing draft picks at it and then letting the best guys walk which basically shoots their draft philosophy right in the foot. The secondary is decent I'll give you that...but it's not nearly what it could be and neither are other positions of need on the team because draft picks were being squandered.

I can't even believe how ridiculous your argument is. Well if you're only talking about our current secondary, why'd you go back so many years on the DB's? Go back that many years for any position on any team and you're bound to find multiple players who aren't on that team anymore, whether due to FA or cuts.

They've drafted well with DB's. Just because some of those players left doesn't mean they were poor draft picks. They still got good players.

And just FYI, if you're talking about our current secondary, then Byrd counts as a starter, and a good one at that.

Sorry, the FO gets a failing grade for other areas, but not the secondary.

psubills62
11-25-2009, 01:25 PM
yeah, I must be an idiot or something. I thought your point was OUR secondary was good and they get credit for drafting those guys. Then you flip around and start talking about how other peoples secondary has some bearing on how good ours is. Well, yeah it does. Not only did they make too many picks to build up that secondary they also let the best performers walk to other teams. So, I will give them credit for being idiots trying to build up a good secondary by throwing draft picks at it and then letting the best guys walk which basically shoots their draft philosophy right in the foot. The secondary is decent I'll give you that...but it's not nearly what it could be and neither are other positions of need on the team because draft picks were being squandered.

Part of building a team is knowing who to keep and who to let walk. I told you well before you posted the last ~10 years of drafting that I was only talking about the last couple of years. They've built good depth, as we've seen rookies come in and contribute significantly the last two years when starters got injured.

I think of it like this. If a student is spending all his time studying for math, then his other subjects suffer. Does that mean he gets an F in math? No, he should get an A in math. But he gets an F in all other subjects. Thus, the FO fails in other subjects, but gets a good grade for the secondary. They just managed their resources poorly, which is another topic altogether. The end result is a secondary with solid depth.