PDA

View Full Version : In the end, money talks.

Prov401
11-25-2009, 06:06 PM
I cannot begin to comprehend why any of these coaches would want to wait until the end of the season, with what the Bills seem to be offering. I can see Bill Cowher not wanting to interview out of respect for his current employer in CBS, but like a few have stated in other threads... 7 hours, over two days, and no offer was made? There had to have been money talks. Buffalo is looking to make one of these champion coaches the richest coach, and hand them the most expensive coaching contract in history of the NFL. Iv'e done some research and the median salary for an NFL head coach of 2009 is just under 3 million dollars a year. Mike Holmgren made 8 million last year with the Seahawks, and as far as I know, that is the most a head coach has ever been paid in a year (could be wrong). It has been reported that Holmgren is just looking for a front office gig, so I can see why he wouldn't want to come here.

My gripe here is the fact that Shanahan said we'll 'keep in touch over the next few months'. 10-12 million dollars a year, and a stake in the Buffalo Bills franchise (apparentley, but if true :trance: ), what is there to wait for? I'm sorry but the only job I can see more enticing than the one Buffalo has vacant, and I'll just throw the teams out there that I believe MAY make a change at their HC (stars indicate pending how their season ends up). (Dallas*, Carolina*, Jacksonville*, Chicago*, Houston*, Tampa Bay, Cleveland, Washington, St. Louis, Oakland)...Again, the only job I see more enticing is probably the Chicago gig. They have their franchise QB, some spending money next year, and a great fan base. Nobody wants to work for Jerry Jones or Dan Snyder. They will get their puppets soon enough, and I'll be shocked if one of them is an elite guy. I see somebody like Billick going to Dallas. In the end, money is going to do the talking however, and I have got to believe that the reason why Shanahan has not signed anything is because the Buffalo Bills are courting Cowher, and they are the ones who want to wait until the end of the season to talk to him. That is a ton of money to say 'wait' too.

Albany,n.y.
11-25-2009, 06:13 PM
Shanahan understands the Rooney Rule means trouble if the team he signs with hasn't properly interviewed minorities. Just because Fewell is head coach, he still has to be interviewed and it's tough to do until he gets some games on his resume. So, all sides realize that this isn't 1986 & you can't just bring a permanent guy in in midseason, because there aren't enough candidates to satisfy the rules until the season is over.

Night Train
11-25-2009, 06:32 PM
That offer is 20-40% above the highest paid coach/gm at present.

If that offer of 5 year - 53 mil and a small cut of ownership is true, Shanahan is thinking " Wow " at this very moment. At best, he was looking at 4 year- 24-28 mil a week ago.

I got news. He's thinking REAL HARD about Buffalo.

I don't need a media report to do that math.

Mr. Pink
11-25-2009, 06:54 PM
These coaches also have a legacy to consider and if the franchise truly wants to win. Not that this just isn't a marketing ploy to keep butts in the seats.

Money is the end all of this.

Some people, at the end of the day, still want to win. And lets be honest, we're not a franchise over the long haul that's been committed to winning.

Dying_-2-_Live
11-25-2009, 06:57 PM
we need to shove money down Cowhers throat until he says yes

tampabay25690
11-25-2009, 07:08 PM
$$$ does talk as the NY Yankees they throw $$ to get players to come there...
This will be very difficult for him to to say NO....

The thing that scares me the most is the Bills have came out to the media and said Ralph will spend $10 million a year for a coach. WELL now everyone knows that what happens if we don't get that #1 coach us fans want like Shannahan, Holmgrem, Cower, Gruden, of SHotty.......The 2nd list of coaches will ask for a pretty $$$$ now and there not worth that.......I just think its bad to come out and say what you are willing to pay....