PDA

View Full Version : So...what other teams do we need to root for?

Michael82
11-26-2009, 07:20 AM
It sounds like both Mike Shanahan and Bill Cowher have a few favorite teams that they are hoping will have jobs open up. So, I was starting to put together a list of teams that can win and help us look better to the big name head coaches, when they don't fire their head coach.

1. Carolina Panthers - Bill Cowher has this marked as the #1 team on his list. It's close to him and has a very good set of players together currently. But they still need a QB, as Delhomme is old and washed up.

2. Chicago Bears - From what has been leaked out, apparently they are thinking of letting Lovie Smith and the GM go. If they do this, it would be a very attractive job for both Cowher and Shanahan. They got a QB and a lot of talent.

3. Houston Texans - I can't see them firing their head coach, because Kubiak hasn't done a bad job. But there are rumors. If they fire him, I think Shanahan may go for that one because of his son being there and also because they got a great QB.

4. Dallas Cowboys - I know a lot of us wouldn't want to work for Jerry Jones. And I can't see either Shanahan or Cowher wanted to work under him, unless he made some promises and threw in a boatload of money, which he can do. But they have a QB. If they don't make the playoffs or get knocked out in the first round, watch for Wade Phillips to finally get fired.

5. San Diego Chargers - Same thing as the Texans. I can't see them firing Norv Turner, but if they don't make the playoffs with all that talent and a good QB, I wouldn't be surprised if they fire him. Both Cowher and Shanahan may look at that job, except for the fact that it's on the west coast.

6. Jacksonville Jaguars - I don't think they would fire him, but it's definitely something to keep an eye on. If they cool off by the end of the season and miss the playoffs, the heat will definitely be on Jack DelRio, who I wouldn't mind to come here.

7. Cleveland Browns - I think that Mangini stays, but if they keep losing...the new GM may decide to toss him off the ship. It depends on how well they finish the season and if Brady Quinn gets better. Either way, they will probably be looking for a young head coach to take over, especially if they hire Mike Holmgren as GM.

8. Tennesee Titans - Right now they are riding high and playing really well with Vince Young, but if they start to lose, I could see the hot seat turned up on Jeff Fisher. They talked about it earlier in the season before their win streak. So you never know.

Doesn't Matter:

Washinton Redskins - Zorn is gone no matter what. It's just a question of which big name head coach would want to work under Dan Snyder who can be just like Jerry Jones. But they truth is, he will definitely throw the money at whoever is interested.

Oakland Raiders - Who would want to work with Al Davis? The only reason why he hired Tom Cable was that no one was really interested in the job. I can't see any big name coaches going there.

Prov401
11-26-2009, 09:09 AM
As you noted, I believe the Chicago job is the most attractive to any head coach if it opens up. Houston is definitely a wild card spot for Shanahan if Kubiak is let go, as well as Carolina for Cowher. The Chargers are making the playoffs for sure, and the Titans will finish at least 8-8 IMO (still haven't got a clue how they stumbled out of the gates).

Your absolutley right in the first 3 teams that Cowher/Shanahan may go to over us. I still can't imagine Cowher not wanting to even listen to what the Bills have to offer at the end of the season. We are offering the largest coaching contract in history of the NFL, a stake in the team (apparently), possible GM position, and high picks in this year's draft. I think Cowher has to listen with that amount of money.

Forward_Lateral
11-26-2009, 09:13 AM
I highly doubt Shanahan would even consider the Oakland job, given his past history with Al Davis.

Washington will likely throw a ton of cash at someone this offseason, I'd be worried about them.

I can't see Dallas firing Phillips and not promoting Garrett. They paid him a ton of cash to keep him as O.C., and probably the future head coach.

If the Texans fire Kubiak, I'd assume Shanahan's son would be a candidate for head coach. Would Mike really want to take that opportunity away from his son?

I don't see Mangina getting fired after 1 season. It's not really his fault he inherited 2 crappy QBs.

I don't see Fischer getting fired, but if he does, I'd take him in a heartbeat.

I wouldn't worry about the Chargers, they look like they are firing on all cylinders and likey make a playoff push, possibly win a few playoff games.

Does Jacksonville have the money to throw at a big name coach?

I think Cowher is a lock to go to Carolina, if they do fire Fox.

I'd worry about Washington the most stealing Shanahan away, honestly.

Michael82
11-26-2009, 09:38 AM
As you noted, I believe the Chicago job is the most attractive to any head coach if it opens up. Houston is definitely a wild card spot for Shanahan if Kubiak is let go, as well as Carolina for Cowher. The Chargers are making the playoffs for sure, and the Titans will finish at least 8-8 IMO (still haven't got a clue how they stumbled out of the gates).

Your absolutley right in the first 3 teams that Cowher/Shanahan may go to over us. I still can't imagine Cowher not wanting to even listen to what the Bills have to offer at the end of the season. We are offering the largest coaching contract in history of the NFL, a stake in the team (apparently), possible GM position, and high picks in this year's draft. I think Cowher has to listen with that amount of money.

I'm the same way. I think that Cowher is praying for Carolina to open up, but if it doesn't...he will probably interview with us after the season.

Michael82
11-26-2009, 09:44 AM
I highly doubt Shanahan would even consider the Oakland job, given his past history with Al Davis.

Washington will likely throw a ton of cash at someone this offseason, I'd be worried about them.

I can't see Dallas firing Phillips and not promoting Garrett. They paid him a ton of cash to keep him as O.C., and probably the future head coach.

If the Texans fire Kubiak, I'd assume Shanahan's son would be a candidate for head coach. Would Mike really want to take that opportunity away from his son?

I don't see Mangina getting fired after 1 season. It's not really his fault he inherited 2 crappy QBs.

I don't see Fischer getting fired, but if he does, I'd take him in a heartbeat.

I wouldn't worry about the Chargers, they look like they are firing on all cylinders and likey make a playoff push, possibly win a few playoff games.

Does Jacksonville have the money to throw at a big name coach?

I think Cowher is a lock to go to Carolina, if they do fire Fox.

I'd worry about Washington the most stealing Shanahan away, honestly.

Would anyone consider the Oakland job? I can't see it.

Washington will offer a ton of cash at someone, but they are the same position as us. No QB and not a lot of talent, especially at QB. plus Snyder is known for interferring. I can't see him offer total control to Shanahan.

Agreed about Dallas. IF they fire Wade, I'd be very surprised if Garrett isn't promoted. They've been grooming him for a while. The only problem is that the offense sucks right now.

Shanahan's son might be a candidate, but I think if they fire Kubiak...they'd rather go with someone more experienced.

I also don't think the Browns would fire Mangini. They just signed him and invested too much money in him after firing Crennel. If anything, they will force him to fire some assistant coaches or something.

I would also take Jeff Fisher. He's a good head coach and the Titans would be stupid to fire him.

The Chargers were just my shocker team in the list.

Jacksonville doesn't have the money, but if they fire a good coach like Del Rio, it means that they don't care and just want to win. I will say it again though...if they did fire him, I would love Jack Del Rio on our team.

Cowher is definitely a lock for Carolina and that's why I could see them firing Fox, just so they can get him to coach.

Michael82
11-26-2009, 11:59 AM
It sickens me to say this, but Go Cowboys today! :ill:

casdhf
11-26-2009, 12:05 PM
If MS wants total and complete control, he would never even consider Washington.

Mr. Pink
11-26-2009, 12:24 PM
If MS wants total and complete control, he would never even consider Washington.

Actually Washington might be the biggest "total control" job, if it's offered.

Shanahan or otherwise, could go there and have complete control and ability to try and sign whoever they wanted for whatever sum of money they wanted.

Snyder has deep pockets and will spend and spend and then spend some more.

If that job is offered with total control, you'd be able to target and land almost anyone you wanted to. So you'd have the team of your guys.

BoyILuvLoznStupidly
11-26-2009, 12:32 PM
I'm not worried about the Bears job. Bears would have to pay Lovie 11mil at the end of the season to buy him out. I think the Bears will keep Lovie for 2010 and try for TO to sell tickets this off season. :pray:

Dallas will make Garrett HC if that opens up. Shanahan will not go to Dallas, he will give Parcells a call and find out Jones is a pain in the ass.

If the Panthers job opens up that will be Cowher all day.

The Texans job is one that I'm worried about. Hopefully they do well enough so Kubiak. This is the one team imo to be concerned about.:pray: :pray:

Washington could be a possible consideration for Shanahan, but again the owner could be a problem. But if it came down to Buffalo or Washington Shanahan he would probably pick the highest bidder.
:duel:

Oakland, I could 100% guarantee Shanahan will not go their. He worked their before and it did not play out well with him and Davis.:zapper:

The Titans could be a possibility for Shanahan if it opened up. But I look at it this way. If Shanahan goes their, we sign Fisher.

San Diego will make it to the AFC championship game and Turner stays in 2010. Most coaches would take that job in a heartbeat.:pray: :pray: :pray:

I know for sure, 110% Shanahan will not sign till the end of the season with any team.

Go Bills and Squish the fish. Sorry, this week I could give two ****s about the draft. It's Miami for Christ sakes.

:squish: :squish: :squish: :squish: :squish: :monkeyp:Dolphins :zapper:

Michael82
11-26-2009, 03:22 PM
Actually Washington might be the biggest "total control" job, if it's offered.

Shanahan or otherwise, could go there and have complete control and ability to try and sign whoever they wanted for whatever sum of money they wanted.

Snyder has deep pockets and will spend and spend and then spend some more.

If that job is offered with total control, you'd be able to target and land almost anyone you wanted to. So you'd have the team of your guys.

Good point! But I can't can't see Snyder offering him complete control. Unless he gets rid of that Vinny guy.

Nighthawk
11-26-2009, 03:40 PM
Good point! But I can't can't see Snyder offering him complete control. Unless he gets rid of that Vinny guy.

Anbody who goes to Washington will NEVER have total control...not with Snyder there.

Michael82
11-26-2009, 04:16 PM
Anbody who goes to Washington will NEVER have total control...not with Snyder there.

EXACTLY! :hi5:

Raptor
11-26-2009, 05:36 PM
It sounds like both Mike Shanahan and Bill Cowher have a few favorite teams that they are hoping will have jobs open up. So, I was starting to put together a list of teams that can win and help us look better to the big name head coaches, when they don't fire their head coach.

1. Carolina Panthers - Bill Cowher has this marked as the #1 team on his list. It's close to him and has a very good set of players together currently. But they still need a QB, as Delhomme is old and washed up.

Likely Cowhers first choice because he lives near there but lack of a first rounder in a major minus

2. Chicago Bears - From what has been leaked out, apparently they are thinking of letting Lovie Smith and the GM go. If they do this, it would be a very attractive job for both Cowher and Shanahan. They got a QB and a lot of talent.

Shanny is from around there so that is attractive to him but they have no high pics and that is a massive minus to a new coach looking to make his mark

3. Houston Texans - I can't see them firing their head coach, because Kubiak hasn't done a bad job. But there are rumors. If they fire him, I think Shanahan may go for that one because of his son being there and also because they got a great QB.

I think they give GK another year

4. Dallas Cowboys - I know a lot of us wouldn't want to work for Jerry Jones. And I can't see either Shanahan or Cowher wanted to work under him, unless he made some promises and threw in a boatload of money, which he can do. But they have a QB. If they don't make the playoffs or get knocked out in the first round, watch for Wade Phillips to finally get fired.

Money and prime time games big positive, meddling owner massive minus

5. San Diego Chargers - Same thing as the Texans. I can't see them firing Norv Turner, but if they don't make the playoffs with all that talent and a good QB, I wouldn't be surprised if they fire him. Both Cowher and Shanahan may look at that job, except for the fact that it's on the west coast.

If I'm a coach this is the team I would most want to go to. If there willing to pay I bet they could have any coach they want. The owner is said not to like the coach/GM combo job however

6. Jacksonville Jaguars - I don't think they would fire him, but it's definitely something to keep an eye on. If they cool off by the end of the season and miss the playoffs, the heat will definitely be on Jack DelRio, who I wouldn't mind to come here.

Zero fan support and a likely move are massive minuses

7. Cleveland Browns - I think that Mangini stays, but if they keep losing...the new GM may decide to toss him off the ship. It depends on how well they finish the season and if Brady Quinn gets better. Either way, they will probably be looking for a young head coach to take over, especially if they hire Mike Holmgren as GM.

I agee

8. Tennesee Titans - Right now they are riding high and playing really well with Vince Young, but if they start to lose, I could see the hot seat turned up on Jeff Fisher. They talked about it earlier in the season before their win streak. So you never know.

There stupid if they fire Fisher

Doesn't Matter:

Washinton Redskins - Zorn is gone no matter what. It's just a question of which big name head coach would want to work under Dan Snyder who can be just like Jerry Jones. But they truth is, he will definitely throw the money at whoever is interested.

See Dallas

Oakland Raiders - Who would want to work with Al Davis? The only reason why he hired Tom Cable was that no one was really interested in the job. I can't see any big name coaches going there.

There screwed til Al Davis dies. Yea are owner is a little nutty but Davis is a lunatic

Albany,n.y.
11-26-2009, 06:15 PM
Root for the teams with worse records than ours to keep winning. Look what having the top pick has done in the past: Parcells went to the team with the top pick 3 times. Polian went to Indy when they had the top pick. Contrary to those who think the better we do, the more attractive to a big name we are, the reverse is true. These big ego guys come in with a plan to tear it up & start over. A team with no QB or a lot of other talent is playing to their ego. Add a high draft choice and they're sold.

Michael82
11-26-2009, 09:17 PM
Root for the teams with worse records than ours to keep winning. Look what having the top pick has done in the past: Parcells went to the team with the top pick 3 times. Polian went to Indy when they had the top pick. Contrary to those who think the better we do, the more attractive to a big name we are, the reverse is true. These big ego guys come in with a plan to tear it up & start over. A team with no QB or a lot of other talent is playing to their ego. Add a high draft choice and they're sold.

I agree with this, but I would rather see the above teams start winning, so we can get our choice of the top notch head coaches. Although if Carolina doesn't fire Fox, I could see Cowher stay out of the NFL for another season. He really seems to like the CBS gig.