PDA

View Full Version : Clausen entering draft

Demon
11-26-2009, 11:24 PM
Still not a fan of his but I know many here are so when i saw this i figured i'd post it.

Citing sources, ESPN's Joe Schad reports that Notre Dame QB Jimmy Clausen will enter the 2010 NFL Draft.
Clausen's mind is probably already made up as the Irish head to Stanford for their regular season finale. Schad says Clausen's NFL stock is on the rise thanks to his quick release, pinpoint accuracy (67.3% completions), and improved footwork as a third-year junior. Charlie Weis hasn't proven to be the answer at Notre Dame, but his pro-style system also helps Clausen's case.

Per Rotoworld.

Block "O"
11-27-2009, 12:55 AM
Sam Bradford has forever changed the formula for QBs leaving early I think.

DraftBoy
11-27-2009, 09:32 AM
Sam Bradford has forever changed the formula for QBs leaving early I think.

There are 1000's of other player examples who came back and got hurt prior to Bradford. It's a well known risk.

Clausen leaving early is a mistake, he is not ready, but good luck to him.

Ebenezer
11-27-2009, 09:36 AM
There are 1000's of other player examples who came back and got hurt prior to Bradford. It's a well known risk.

It's a calculated risk but he might be thinking that if Weis gets fired then why come back? It might hurt his draft status.

DraftBoy
11-27-2009, 09:47 AM
It's a calculated risk but he might be thinking that if Weis gets fired then why come back? It might hurt his draft status.

I agree with the mind set of that, but his skill set is not developed enough. He showed real growth this year, he stays he could be the no doubt #1 pick next year if he has a similar season.

patmoran2006
11-27-2009, 10:11 AM
Thats exactly why he is leaving.

Why try to stay and learn a new offense and possibly hurt your draft status under a new coach.. Not to mention I think Tate is coming out early too.

Ebenezer
11-27-2009, 12:35 PM
Thats exactly why he is leaving.

Why try to stay and learn a new offense and possibly hurt your draft status under a new coach.. Not to mention I think Tate is coming out early too.
which will affect the Irish next year...I am expecting another step backwards.

Block "O"
11-27-2009, 05:46 PM

1000's of top ten picks??? wow thats a lot. can i have a list of them 'draft boy'?

DraftBoy
11-27-2009, 05:51 PM
1000's of top ten picks??? wow thats a lot. can i have a list of them 'draft boy'?

Bradford wasn't a top 10 pick last season, so your point is both idiotic and moot.

But if you want to know players who hurt their stock by coming back an extra year just google it. You don't need me to hold your hand.

Block "O"
11-27-2009, 05:54 PM
Bradford wasn't a top 10 pick last season, so your point is both idiotic and moot.

But if you want to know players who hurt their stock by coming back an extra year just google it. You don't need me to hold your hand.

But you're so comforting IMHO, actually I consider you a 'draft man' more than a 'draft boy' IMHO

DraftBoy
11-27-2009, 05:55 PM
But you're so comforting IMHO, actually I consider you a 'draft man' more than a 'draft boy' IMHO

I do have that effect on people.

PECKERWOOD
11-27-2009, 06:02 PM
Honestly, if I were Michael Floyd I'd consider leaving early now that Charlie Weiss is likely to get axed.

Block "O"
11-27-2009, 06:20 PM
Honestly, if I were Michael Floyd I'd consider leaving early now that Charlie Weiss is likely to get axed.

I wish I old enough to remember when ND was good :( So many people hate Notre Dame and I don't understand why?

Demon
11-27-2009, 09:25 PM

No need to worry, Dayne Crist will have a better college career then Clausen.

clumping platelets
11-27-2009, 11:04 PM

:clap:

X-Era
11-28-2009, 09:52 AM
Cant say I blame him. Weiss is done, Tate may make the jum as well... what the hell would he have to come back to?

Hes done enough to earn a 1st round grade. Top 10? I dont see it unless he blows away some scouts.

Hes another one who almost always threw to the primary guy. That makes me wonder if he might have a harder time adjusting to a NFL setting where you have reads, and progressions.

I like his game, but he is still pretty unpolished.

DraftBoy
11-28-2009, 10:09 AM

Floyd is a true Sophomore and he needs to prove he can stay healthy and be the #1 WR. He has a good bit to prove still.

PECKERWOOD
11-28-2009, 01:31 PM
Floyd is a true Sophomore and he needs to prove he can stay healthy and be the #1 WR. He has a good bit to prove still.
Still, couldn't you see him as a potential top 15 pick? I'll admit that I'm more on the Tate bandwagon than Michael Floyd bandwagon, but you got to admit, Floyd has everything you look for in a receiver in the top of the 1st round. I'd even strongly consider him over Dez Bryant. Floyd is the definition of a big play receiver.

Raptor
11-28-2009, 08:42 PM

and do what, sit out a year?

Nighthawk
11-28-2009, 10:31 PM

Are you insinuating that Bradford wouldn't have been a top 10 picks last year if he came out? If so, then I think you're incorrect...he definitely would have been a top 10 pick if he came out.

tampabay25690
11-28-2009, 10:36 PM
Are you insinuating that Bradford wouldn't have been a top 10 picks last year if he came out? If so, then I think you're incorrect...he definitely would have been a top 10 pick if he came out.

I don't think he was insinuating that..
Absoulutely Bradford would have been a top 5 pick...

PECKERWOOD
11-28-2009, 11:15 PM
and do what, sit out a year?

You're right, I thought he was eligible.

DraftBoy
11-29-2009, 10:32 AM

Read it again...

I said Bradford wasn't a top ten pick, if you think he was, then tell me what team drafted him.

As for him being a lock for it, that's not true either. He would of rated behind Stafford and Sanchez more than likely and we have no idea what his combine or workouts would of been like. The insinuation that because some mock drafts had the guy in the top 10, therefor making him a top 10 lock are wrong. Bradford's stock was high but he would of graded out as the #3 QB.

Nighthawk
11-29-2009, 01:30 PM
Read it again...

I said Bradford wasn't a top ten pick, if you think he was, then tell me what team drafted him.

As for him being a lock for it, that's not true either. He would of rated behind Stafford and Sanchez more than likely and we have no idea what his combine or workouts would of been like. The insinuation that because some mock drafts had the guy in the top 10, therefor making him a top 10 lock are wrong. Bradford's stock was high but he would of graded out as the #3 QB.

Of course he wasn't a top ten pick...he didn't come out...that's kind of a dumb statement. As for him being a top 10 pick, he definitely would have been...especially with all the hype around whether or not he was coming out or staying for his senior season. There is no doubt in my mind he would have been a top 10 pick.

Mahdi
11-30-2009, 09:32 AM
Of course he wasn't a top ten pick...he didn't come out...that's kind of a dumb statement. As for him being a top 10 pick, he definitely would have been...especially with all the hype around whether or not he was coming out or staying for his senior season. There is no doubt in my mind he would have been a top 10 pick.
There is no doubt about Bradford being a top 5 pick. He would have gone #1 actually to Detroit.

Stafford would have been the second QB taken.

DraftBoy
11-30-2009, 10:32 AM
There is no doubt about Bradford being a top 5 pick. He would have gone #1 actually to Detroit.

Stafford would have been the second QB taken.

Not in a million years. Stafford was clearly the top ranked QB coming out and even with Bradford there was no doubt of that ever.

Bradford would of had to battle Sanchez for the #2 spot and the show Sanchez put on, plus the fact that he was all hollywood PR, he wasn't going to beat him out either.

Its a pointless debate now though.

Demon
11-30-2009, 11:11 AM
Not in a million years. Stafford was clearly the top ranked QB coming out and even with Bradford there was no doubt of that ever.

Bradford would of had to battle Sanchez for the #2 spot and the show Sanchez put on, plus the fact that he was all hollywood PR, he wasn't going to beat him out either.

Its a pointless debate now though.

I think Bradford would have gone 1st instead of Stafford and it's from i've read from Detroit based reporters prior to last year's draft.

DraftBoy
11-30-2009, 11:20 AM
I think Bradford would have gone 1st instead of Stafford and it's from i've read from Detroit based reporters prior to last year's draft.

Ive read nothing that has actually come out of Detroit's organization or any other sources close to them to indicate anything like that. Its all conjecture at this point and since Bradford never declared I doubt Detroit's FO even considered it for very long if at all, since it would be stupid to waste time breaking down a guy not even in the draft class.

k-oneputt
11-30-2009, 11:23 AM
DB, why is Claussen leaving early a mistake ? It would be a mistake if he didn't leave now.

DraftBoy
11-30-2009, 11:25 AM
DB, why is Claussen leaving early a mistake ? It would be a mistake if he didn't leave now.

He showed real growth this year for the first time at Notre Dame however he is not ready imo. His way of getting out of trouble is to throw jump balls. Which is fine for him at Notre Dame when you have one of the top receiving duos in the country going up to get them. It won't work like that in the pros. He is getting better at making reads but he's not there yet, he forces throws, doesn't set his feet properly at times and get over anxious on slower developing routes.

His feel for pressure has gotten much better and the kid plays through pain but another year in college would do him wonders for finishing his development.

k-oneputt
11-30-2009, 11:27 AM
Another year in college could cost him a lot of money too. See Bradford.
He's a top-10 draft pick right now and his college coach is leaving. No brainer decision.

DraftBoy
11-30-2009, 11:29 AM
Another year in college could cost him a lot of money too. See Bradford.
He's a top-10 draft pick right now and his college coach is leaving. No brainer decision.

Him leaving early could lead to stunted development and cost him a lot more in the long run. The money will be there for Jimmy if he's a good QB, he'll more than make enough to set he and his family up for a long time.

Weiss leaving won't be a big deal if a Billick takes over, who will run a pro-style offense as well.

we are
11-30-2009, 02:00 PM
Clausen is easily the best most pro ready Qb skill wise. And he does not do those things nearly as much as you say he does. All throwing the ball up means is he knows his personnel. The games that Floyd was out he still had no trouble producing...

Everything is there for him. 4 INT's in a pro style like that is nothing to sneez at. I even remember an interception where he threw a bullet to an open receiver but it bounced off his back because he was out stalk blocking. In the NFL thats a neccessary throw...one where you throw it before the receiver actually turns his head.

He has an NFL release unlike Tebow, NFL arm strength unlike McCoy, has more experience than Mallett. Its either Locker or Clausen for me.

Block "O"
11-30-2009, 02:18 PM
Clausen is easily the best most pro ready Qb skill wise. And he does not do those things nearly as much as you say he does. All throwing the ball up means is he knows his personnel. The games that Floyd was out he still had no trouble producing...

Everything is there for him. 4 INT's in a pro style like that is nothing to sneez at. I even remember an interception where he threw a bullet to an open receiver but it bounced off his back because he was out stalk blocking. In the NFL thats a neccessary throw...one where you throw it before the receiver actually turns his head.

He has an NFL release unlike Tebow, NFL arm strength unlike McCoy, has more experience than Mallett. Its either Locker or Clausen for me.
check out my sig :stirpot:

Bravo82
11-30-2009, 04:57 PM
^^^^ that Block "O" fella has a pretty solid sig in my guestimations :scratch:

yordad
11-30-2009, 06:21 PM
check out my sig :stirpot:Is that the Wild-Buffalo Offense? The one where your fullback throws passes?

:snicker:

Ingtar33
11-30-2009, 07:27 PM
Read it again...

I disagree... Bradford and Stafford would have been neck and neck for #1 qb in that draft... with Sanchez a distant 3rd.

I was stunned when the jets traded up to get Sanchez of all people. That was like their hair-brained trade up for D-Rob (who was also an overrated prospect). then i saw the terms of the trade-up and i was stunned the Browns asked for so little, and realized that the Jets trade-up was more a result of the Browns being idiots and getting fleeced.

Block "O"
11-30-2009, 07:44 PM
^^^^ that Block "O" fella has a pretty solid sig in my guestimations :scratch:

i dont need the support of a college virgin, thank you though :offair:

DraftBoy
11-30-2009, 09:27 PM
I disagree... Bradford and Stafford would have been neck and neck for #1 qb in that draft... with Sanchez a distant 3rd.

I was stunned when the jets traded up to get Sanchez of all people. That was like their hair-brained trade up for D-Rob (who was also an overrated prospect). then i saw the terms of the trade-up and i was stunned the Browns asked for so little, and realized that the Jets trade-up was more a result of the Browns being idiots and getting fleeced.

I just don't see it. Stafford has everything you look for in a pro QB, size, pro style offense, arm strength, accuracy. His big knock was decision making. Bradford has questions about his reads, and arm strength most notably. Now the main reason I say Sanchez could of passed Bradford is because his value rose so sharply over the last month without explanation. I dont know that Bradford could of done anything to stop that kind of a rise. It was completely unexpected and unexplainable.