PDA

View Full Version : Bills Should Rebuff Kelly's Advances

DynaPaul
11-27-2009, 10:57 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/11/27/bills-should-rebuff-jim-kellys-advances/

As we've previously articulated, in no uncertain terms, Browns owner Randy Lerner needs to find a way to run his team without giving former Cleveland players a seat at the table and/or a spoon in the stew.

Put simply, great players from the past who did not immediately get into a roll-up-the-sleeves-type role with an NFL franchise have no business popping off about what the team for which they one played should do when it comes to hiring a head coach or making personnel moves.

Bills ownership is now dealing with a former player who thinks his Hall of Fame credentials as a quarterback translates into a broader ability to make high-level decisions regarding the course of the franchise.

According to Jim Corbett of USA Today, Jim Kelly wants to meet with owner Ralph Wilson and COO Russ Brandon to offer his "full support" in helping the team return to prominence. Kelly also hopes to be "a big part of the ownership group" in the future.

yordad
11-27-2009, 11:01 AM
OK. That doesn't sound bad to me though.

kernowboy
11-27-2009, 11:07 AM
"Whether it's Tim Tebow, whether they'll have a shot at him when draft time comes . . . you have to look at the top three quarterbacks in the draft, really study them. And you look for a guy with good character, good leadership ability and good arm strength -- and a guy who doesn't come from California."

Somewhere, Troy Aikman, Warren Moon, Dan Fouts, and John Elway just simultaneously said, "What the f--k?"

Look, Kelly was a great quarterback. But he hasn't worked as a scout and he hasn't worked in a front office and he'd be the worst kind of owner/executive/adviser because he wouldn't be able or willing to acknowledge the limits of his knowledge or abilities.

So Mr. Wilson should find a way to politely tell Kelly to butt out, and Bills fans shouldn't fall victim to that same Cleveland-style misconception that great players somehow have all the answers when it comes to the challenge of assembling a great team.

You got to agree about Kelly's lack of knowledge

BillsWin
11-27-2009, 11:25 AM
Kelly is an idiot about Tebow, but he has more football knowledge in his pinky finger than the writer of that article.

TigerJ
11-27-2009, 12:11 PM
Kelly's thoughts about Tebow are just his opinion and I wouldn't expect the Bills to abide by it. Mike Florio's thoughts are just his opinion and really carry even less weight.

HAMMER
11-27-2009, 12:37 PM
I agree, Kelly has no business butting into the franchises business. It's not his team, it's not his money.....and he never won a Super Bowl so he needs to STFU.

camelcowboy
11-27-2009, 02:35 PM
Kelly could say whatever he wants any of you who disagree can stfu.

camelcowboy
11-27-2009, 02:37 PM
I agree, Kelly has no business butting into the franchises business. It's not his team, it's not his money.....and he never won a Super Bowl so he needs to STFU.
Groaned

methos4ever
11-27-2009, 02:43 PM
And didn't the only QB the Bills have ever won a championship with come from CA?

CoolBreeze
11-27-2009, 03:22 PM
I think Kelly's comments about California players(QB's) are dead on. They are soft and mentally laid back for the most part. Look at our last 3. Rob Johnson, J.P. Losman and Trent Edwards. They would rather sit by the beach, than put in effort to truly become great. They aren't the only ones either. Look at Mark Sanchez. As soon as the weather turned bad, he sucked. You do the research on Cali QB's from the recent era and see.

Ground Chuck
11-27-2009, 03:25 PM
Kelly had one of the lowest Wonderlich scores ever, yet he sounds smarter than the guys who are currently running the team.

Interesting.

HAMMER
11-27-2009, 04:37 PM
Kelly could say whatever he wants any of you who disagree can stfu.

Jim Kelly is trying to extend his day in the sun just a bit too much. If I were Ralph I would drop him a line and tell him to worry about his own life. It's not his place to pipe up on how the franchise is run.

Ferrygoat
11-27-2009, 05:08 PM
There is always 2 sides to a story, why dont you guys take a look at what Kelly has to say about this before you get on his ass

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-3/Kellys-Call-A-coach-a-QB-and-a-rebuttal/d9e78afc-ed75-4127-977d-753a30e1fc1d

BertSquirtgum
11-27-2009, 05:13 PM
Jim Kelly is the man and that is all i have to say about that.

DraftBoy
11-27-2009, 05:48 PM
Kelly is an idiot about Tebow, but he has more football knowledge in his pinky finger than the writer of that article.

He knows how to read coverages, and make the right reads. But he knows zero about talent evaluation or how to properly build a team.

PECKERWOOD
11-27-2009, 05:58 PM

What gives you the right to do it, maybe you could use a warm glass of stfu.

Akhippo
11-27-2009, 07:53 PM
I think Kelly does know a thing or two about building a TEAM. This isnt rocket science. Besides knowing the players specific habits or scheme shortcomings, which even with all the combines and workouts teams still get wrong, its not that hard to come up with a strategy to build a team that can win in Buffalo.

What would be the proper way for Kelly to voice his concerns about the team. Should he get a billboard also. Singing telegrams to Ralphs house. If he is trying to bring an ownership group here also, then he is a player with a voice with the Bills.

EricStratton
11-27-2009, 08:51 PM
Jim should just set up a username on a fan based message board, we all know this is where the real opinions come from.

Screw this idea of playing in high school, college and two pro leagues then getting elected into the hall of fame, just toss out opinions in a chat room.

That's the way to do it.

HAMMER
11-27-2009, 10:46 PM
What gives you the right to do it, maybe you could use a warm glass of stfu.

I wonder what that tastes like. Anyways.....I don't do it in the media. If I were an ex-player I would have my opinions but I would not be making them known at every opportunity. It's just getting old, he has NO job within the organization. Him and Fran Tarkenton need to get their rockers out and sit down for a ***** session. Favre has really shut old Fran up hasn't he?

Why do you have your panties in such a wad PECKERBREATH?

SeatownBillsFan21
11-28-2009, 12:45 AM
I wonder what that tastes like. Anyways.....I don't do it in the media. If I were an ex-player I would have my opinions but I would not be making them known at every opportunity. It's just getting old, he has NO job within the organization. Him and Fran Tarkenton need to get their rockers out and sit down for a ***** session. Favre has really shut old Fran up hasn't he?

Why do you have your panties in such a wad PECKERBREATH?
Because your posts in this thred suck JMO

The Jokeman
11-28-2009, 06:56 AM
He knows how to read coverages, and make the right reads. But he knows zero about talent evaluation or how to properly build a team.
Let's also not forget his great business sense with that restaurant that he opened and is thriving in downtown...OH WAIT... I mean that great sports agency that has Michael Vick as the cornerstone OH WAIT A MINUTE...

HAMMER
11-28-2009, 10:06 AM
Because your posts in this thred suck JMO

OK. You are entitled to your opinion. I just think people feel Kelly has some kind of right to tell the organization what they should do just because he won some football games here. That is not the case. Now had he won a couple Super Bowls....

topher180
11-28-2009, 11:17 PM

So you know more, being, a-hem, "Draft Boy" an all?

LOL

Seriously though, I welcome Kelly's "advances" because he can't be any less knowledgeable than who we got in there now.

HHURRICANE
11-29-2009, 06:57 AM
Jim Kelly needs to shut his mouth and spend his time focusing on his wife.

How did the Marv Levy thing work out?

I would also encourage him to shut his mouth on the QB position. There are more than a few coaching canidates that may take another shot on Edwards so having Kelly bad mouth him before he's been cut or released is stupid.

Last I looked he's a four time Super Bowl loser. If we don't have the music city miracle there was a good chance the Super Bowl Champion QB could have been Rob Johnson.

At the end of the day I want a playoff team and eventually one that can bring us a world championship.

mybills
11-29-2009, 07:02 AM
Is Jim their only consultant?