PDA

View Full Version : QB is a Day3 need in the draft

kernowboy
11-28-2009, 04:46 AM
For me QB is a Day3 need.

We must stop our QB, whoever it is from getting beaten up. Elite skill at LT is 110% essential. No QB, no matter how heralded can survive with the blindside protection we currently afford them. Our No1 need is LT

We must stop being run on. I don't know whats up with DL but its performance against the run has been pathetic. Our next need is DT like Dan Williams of Tennessee and Jared Odrick of Penn St. If we trade Lynch for a R2, I'd seriously consider both.

We cannot continue to have Ellison starting. A LB like Sean Lee would likely be available in the 3rd. We've got a above average secondary with an excellent ballhawk but they are wasted if our opponents can run on us all day long. We need to have maximum pressure on the QB, flushing him out of the pocket all the time, and letting his inaccuracy on the run, play into our hands. Doing away with the Tampa2 would be an excellent start.

If a junior QB like Devlin was available at the start of R4, then I'd look at him, but you don't fix the foundations of the house by starting with the roof.

Ingtar33
11-28-2009, 05:35 AM

We must stop our QB, whoever it is from getting beaten up. Elite skill at LT is 110% essential. No QB, no matter how heralded can survive with the blindside protection we currently afford them. Our No1 need is LT

We must stop being run on. I don't know whats up with DL but its performance against the run has been pathetic. Our next need is DT like Dan Williams of Tennessee and Jared Odrick of Penn St. If we trade Lynch for a R2, I'd seriously consider both.

We cannot continue to have Ellison starting. A LB like Sean Lee would likely be available in the 3rd. We've got a above average secondary with an excellent ballhawk but they are wasted if our opponents can run on us all day long. We need to have maximum pressure on the QB, flushing him out of the pocket all the time, and letting his inaccuracy on the run, play into our hands. Doing away with the Tampa2 would be an excellent start.

If a junior QB like Devlin was available at the start of R4, then I'd look at him, but you don't fix the foundations of the house by starting with the roof.

Devlin won't come out this year... and if he did... unless he blew the workout he'll be a round 2 or higher guy...

I agree with everything else. Though the run defense has not been mostly the D-line's problem. it's been Linebacker related for the most part (there are much better run defending teams out there with worse d-lines then we have.. it's our crappy line backing core that's crushing our run defense right now, so i'd place LB as a higher need then d-line this off-season)

kernowboy
11-28-2009, 05:48 AM
Outside of Williams and Stroud we have no real rotation at all.

I don't think Williams would be much use if we went to a 3-4 defence either.

I'd take Dan Williams NT from Tennessee in R2 and if we were able to move Lynch for a R2, then Jared Odrick to play DE.

This might allow us to get both Maybin and Schobel on the field at the same time to harass the QB or free up space for the ILBs to blitz

DraftBoy
11-28-2009, 10:08 AM
If we go 3-4 D in the off season we better spend every pick on defense because this team needs some serious work to fit that D.

kernowboy
11-28-2009, 10:12 AM
If we go 3-4 D in the off season we better spend every pick on defense because this team needs some serious work to fit that D.

I think Denver has shown a quickly it can be turned around. We have LBs in place + Schobel who can play as a LB Corps, a NT and a DE can be drafted and a couple of mid-tier FAs give a more than serviceable 3-4 though admittedly lacking depth.

DraftBoy
11-28-2009, 10:18 AM
I think Denver has shown a quickly it can be turned around. We have LBs in place + Schobel who can play as a LB Corps, a NT and a DE can be drafted and a couple of mid-tier FAs give a more than serviceable 3-4 though admittedly lacking depth.

We have three LB's technically speaking. I dont think Schobel will transition well.

We need a NT, and a 3-4 DE (Id prefer an Arthur Jones).

Ideally McGee does not fit as a 3-4 CB as he is pure zone guy and the 3-4 requires more bumping and man coverage. We need to dump Whitner and add a better SS who can make consistent plays on the ball. All that needs to be added only as starters we still need another 10-15 guys for depth alone. It can be done, but we don't have as good a starting base as Denver does with a Dumervile on our roster to provide pressure off the edge.

kernowboy
11-28-2009, 10:22 AM
That guy could easily be Maybin.

For me it would be a toss up between Jones and Odrick. We could easily get another DE lower in the draft like Doug Worthington and an OLB like Danny Batten.

If we dumped the likes of Whitner and Kyle Williams who can't play the 3-4 we would get some compensation - Wilson can adequately fill in at SS.

It would take a couple of seasons, but at the moment our version of the Tampa2 is a disgrace.

Bravo82
11-28-2009, 10:29 AM
Whats wrong with our defense? They are doing their job and keeping us in the games, despite our pitiful offense. Its not their fault the offense cant stay on the field for more than 5 minutes. I also happen to be a big fan of the Tampa 2 defense. The first thing we need to address in the draft is the offensive line, period. And then a quarterback.

THE END OF ALL DAYS
11-28-2009, 10:31 AM
listen... the reality is this:

As long as WHOEVER they pick can ACTUALLY PLAY AT AN NFL LEVEL, we have SO MANY weaknesses that most any position other then CB and WR would be a pick that would be fine

DraftBoy
11-28-2009, 11:04 AM
That guy could easily be Maybin.

For me it would be a toss up between Jones and Odrick. We could easily get another DE lower in the draft like Doug Worthington and an OLB like Danny Batten.

If we dumped the likes of Whitner and Kyle Williams who can't play the 3-4 we would get some compensation - Wilson can adequately fill in at SS.

It would take a couple of seasons, but at the moment our version of the Tampa2 is a disgrace.

I have Maybin penciled in at OLB already. Maybin-Mitchell-Poz-????

Not a big fan of Worthington but Batten could be a huge late round steal.

Wilson would be alright but Im not sure how I feel about him long term.

kernowboy
11-28-2009, 04:41 PM
I have Maybin penciled in at OLB already. Maybin-Mitchell-Poz-????

Not a big fan of Worthington but Batten could be a huge late round steal.

Wilson would be alright but Im not sure how I feel about him long term.

Worthington or Rose would be decent enough in the 7th to play DE in the 3-4

I'd consider Wilson as a stopgap until we picked up someone like Davonte Shannon.

I think we could suffer a season or two with Schobel as OLB whilst Batten was brought along.

PECKERWOOD
11-28-2009, 05:02 PM
It's a day 3 need if you want to add another Gibran Hamdan caliber of player to our roster, until then it's a 1st - 2nd round priority.

kernowboy
11-28-2009, 05:53 PM
It's a day 3 need if you want to add another Gibran Hamdan caliber of player to our roster, until then it's a 1st - 2nd round priority.

Is Tom Brady a Gibran Hamdam caliber of player - he went on the equivalent of Day3?

Until we sought both lines out, a high pick on a QB is a waste of a high pick

PECKERWOOD
11-28-2009, 05:59 PM
Is Tom Brady a Gibran Hamdam caliber of player - he went on the equivalent of Day3?

Until we sought both lines out, a high pick on a QB is a waste of a high pick

Your approach is a lot like trying to find a needle in a haystack, it just seems nonsensical to me. Plus, our line really isn't as bad as many think, really, we just need a left tackle and our line is pretty solid, don't forget Butler will be back.

1.) QB
2.) LT
3+)BPA

That's what I think.

kernowboy
11-28-2009, 06:13 PM
Your approach is a lot like trying to find a needle in a haystack, it just seems nonsensical to me. Plus, our line really isn't as bad as many think, really, we just need a left tackle and our line is pretty solid, don't forget Butler will be back.

1.) QB
2.) LT
3+)BPA

That's what I think.

A Day 1 starting LT is Okung, Bulaga or Campbell. That's it. None will be available after the 15th pick.

Any QB we draft without a proper LT, will be IR before the end of preseason.

Many praise Bill Polian is being a superb GM - even he had the brains to sort out the LT position with Tarik Glenn before he drafted Peyton Manning.

Raptor
11-28-2009, 08:38 PM

There is no such thing as a bigger need than a franchise QB. We dont have one on this roster now and until we do we are wasting our time

I dont care where we get him but getting him is priority number 1 and its not even remotely close

Raptor
11-28-2009, 08:39 PM
We have three LB's technically speaking. I dont think Schobel will transition well.

We need a NT, and a 3-4 DE (Id prefer an Arthur Jones).

Ideally McGee does not fit as a 3-4 CB as he is pure zone guy and the 3-4 requires more bumping and man coverage. We need to dump Whitner and add a better SS who can make consistent plays on the ball. All that needs to be added only as starters we still need another 10-15 guys for depth alone. It can be done, but we don't have as good a starting base as Denver does with a Dumervile on our roster to provide pressure off the edge.

Disagree, McGee was excellent in the man coverage system we were running before we switched to the C2 and he's actually a better fit in man coverage IMO

PECKERWOOD
11-29-2009, 12:55 AM
A Day 1 starting LT is Okung, Bulaga or Campbell. That's it. None will be available after the 15th pick.

Any QB we draft without a proper LT, will be IR before the end of preseason.

Many praise Bill Polian is being a superb GM - even he had the brains to sort out the LT position with Tarik Glenn before he drafted Peyton Manning.

What do you think of the new mock in my signature, bro? Imagine a draft like the one in my signature, plus signing Alex Barron to play RT and Derrick Johnson to shore up OLB.

DraftBoy
11-29-2009, 10:36 AM
Disagree, McGee was excellent in the man coverage system we were running before we switched to the C2 and he's actually a better fit in man coverage IMO

When?

He ran zone at Northwestern State and we've never been a predominant man cover team even under Gray that I can recall. He's never been a physical bump and run CB either which is what you play in the 3-4.