PDA

View Full Version : Russ Grimm Emerges as HC Candidate

DynaPaul
11-28-2009, 09:15 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/11/28/russ-grimm-emerges-as-candidate-for-bills-job/

During the Thanksgiving edition of CBS's The NFL Today, Charley Casserly ran down the list of candidates for the Bills' head-coaching gig.

Though he offered up the likes of Jim Haslett and Marc Trestman without acknowledging the fact that those names had been out there for more than a week, Casserly identified a new candidate for the job.

Russ Grimm.

Grimm, the Cardinals' offensive line coach, was a finalist for top job in Pittsburgh nearly three years ago. It's believed that Grimm actually had been told he'd be hired by the Steelers, but that the powers-that-be decided to go instead with Mike Tomlin.

Grimm has since not come close to being hired elsewhere as a head coach.

That could change in Buffalo -- especially if, as expected, none of the "A" listers will be interested.

IAG
11-28-2009, 09:22 AM
I still rather have Fewell. People will like this guy by Christmas.

kernowboy
11-28-2009, 09:47 AM
In many ways, I hope that all of the alleged A listers fall by the wayside

Russ Grimm is an outstanding candidate.

* Learnt under a great head coach (Bill Cowher).

* Loyal (only played for the Redskins).

* Blue collar mentality.

* Offensive Line expert, developing Samuels and Jansen at the Redskins before continuing the top Steeler OLs we have seen. He even made Mike Gandy respectable.

He was strongly considered for both the Bears job taken by Lowie Smith and then the Steelers - the rumour is he was actually offered the position, but then the NFL pointed out that the Steelers should really appoint a minorities coach as they had pushed so hard for the Rooney Rule.

With a decent GM, I would be delighted if Grimm became Head Coach

SquishDaFish
11-28-2009, 09:56 AM
I wouldnt mind him one bit. If one of the A list coaches dont accept that is one guy I wouldnt mind. Him along with Holmgren as GM would be sick

BillsWin
11-28-2009, 09:59 AM
actually, the year Pitt won the super bowl with Cowher they had the statistically worst line in the nfl. But I like Grimm as a candidate.

kernowboy
11-28-2009, 10:00 AM
I think he'll also look to get a co-ordinator to install a 3-4 defence and we might be able to grab Kevin Butler from the Steelers to run it.

Not sure about Holmgren, I don't think he's a good talent evaluator - it was Ron Wolf who found the players in the Packers halycon days.

If we want to talk about SuperBowl rings, he has FOUR, in their run to the SuperBowl they used only 5 linemen, and in his first season, the Cardinals gave up their fewest number of sacks in almost 30 years.

There's plenty to like

DraftBoy
11-28-2009, 10:10 AM
Grimm as HC and DeCosta as GM and Im happy! That's the dream scenario for me.

psubills62
11-28-2009, 11:22 AM
actually, the year Pitt won the super bowl with Cowher they had the statistically worst line in the nfl. But I like Grimm as a candidate.

EDIT: in the year they won the SB, they were 5th best in rushing yards per game and 16th in the NFL in sacks allowed (32).

soapman
11-28-2009, 11:28 AM
Russ Grimm = Jim Zorn/Raheem Morris

Great position coach, no HC or even coordinator experience, shot in the dark. No thank you.

YardRat
11-28-2009, 11:29 AM
Every name is the book is going to be thrown out there by some talking head, and they'll all be tied to Buffalo in some manner until other teams start dropping their HC or Buffalo hires somebody.

kernowboy
11-28-2009, 12:26 PM
Fourth worst in sacks allowed (49). 10th best in rushing offense, in terms of yards per game.

They won the Super Bowl at the end of the 2005 season. The figures you are quoting from the 2006 season. For the seasons 2003, 2004, and 2005, the line showed significant improvement.

As everyone knew Cowher was going to leave, this undoubtedly had an impact on performance

kernowboy
11-28-2009, 12:31 PM
Jim Zorn had no coordinating or assistant head coach experience prior to joining the Redskins and 10years pro-coaching experience

Raheem Morris has 5 years pro-coaching experience

Russ Grimm has had 17 years coaching experience, has been an assistant Head Coach and won a Superbowl ring as an assistant. And it is a well known fact that Cowher relied heavily on his coaches and coordinators at Pittsburgh.

To compare him to Zorn or Morris shows a total lack of football knowledge.

psubills62
11-28-2009, 01:07 PM
They won the Super Bowl at the end of the 2005 season. The figures you are quoting from the 2006 season. For the seasons 2003, 2004, and 2005, the line showed significant improvement.

As everyone knew Cowher was going to leave, this undoubtedly had an impact on performance

Yeah, I was getting the stats quickly, sorry. I saw that they won the SB in 2006, so I grabbed the stats from 2006 season.

mybills
11-28-2009, 01:20 PM
His name is the definition of the Buffalo Bills.

Nighthawk
11-28-2009, 01:25 PM
Grimm as HC and DeCosta as GM and Im happy! That's the dream scenario for me.

I'd be good with that...

PECKERWOOD
11-28-2009, 01:27 PM
Good candidate, he would be an excellent pickup. Especially if we added Ron Rivera as our DC and Assistant Head Coach say if there is a falling out between Perry and our FO.

Nighthawk
11-28-2009, 01:30 PM
Good candidate, he would be an excellent pickup. Especially if we added Ron Rivera as our DC and Assistant Head Coach say if there is a falling out between Perry and our FO.

No matter who gets this HC job...Perry Fool needs to go! This defense has been nothing more then mediocre under him and we need to get some fresh thinking in here on the defensive side of the ball. Then, maybe, we can finally weed out some of the deadweight on that side of the ball...ie: Ellison, Kelsay, McCargo..etc.

Ground Chuck
11-28-2009, 01:40 PM
Pass.

BertSquirtgum
11-28-2009, 01:44 PM

of course you would. what a moron

McBFLO
11-28-2009, 03:45 PM

* Blue collar mentality.

* Offensive Line expert, developing Samuels and Jansen at the Redskins before continuing the top Steeler OLs we have seen. He even made Mike Gandy respectable.

He was strongly considered for both the Bears job taken by Lowie Smith and then the Steelers - the rumour is he was actually offered the position, but then the NFL pointed out that the Steelers should really appoint a minorities coach as they had pushed so hard for the Rooney Rule.

I could not agree more!

NorthCarBills
11-28-2009, 03:51 PM

* Blue collar mentality.

If it comes down to choosing a deserving coordinator, he's at the top of my list. Pair him with a good GM, and I think the Bills would do quite well.

bills4ver
11-28-2009, 04:00 PM
If we don't land one of the big names he would be my first choice, Russ Grimm would be a good HC

BertSquirtgum
11-28-2009, 04:03 PM
If we can't get cowher, shanahan, or billick. russ grimm would definitely be my first choice. this guy turned mike gandy into a decent looking LT. i'm sure he could turn our bunch of pussies into something that resembles an nfl team instead of a high school team.

IAG
11-28-2009, 04:43 PM
Russ Grimm stinks.

kernowboy
11-28-2009, 06:14 PM
Russ Grimm stinks.

based on what ...... ?

IAG
11-28-2009, 06:24 PM
If he is such a great candidate, why has every team that has interviewed him passed on him.

He stinks.

Hire Fewell.

kernowboy
11-28-2009, 06:34 PM
There are only 32 vacancies in the USA.

He interviewed with the Bears but they decided to go Defensive HC.

He interviewed with the Steelers but they went with Tomlin.

To suggest he stinks because of that is ridiculous.

YardRat
11-28-2009, 06:43 PM
I read somewhere Grimm actually all but officially had the Pittsburgh job until somebody reminded Rooney he had to follow his own rule and at least interview a minority. They brought in Tomlin and he blew them away.

BertSquirtgum
11-28-2009, 06:46 PM
If he is such a great candidate, why has every team that has interviewed him passed on him.

He stinks.

Hire Fewell.

are you perry fewell's grandfather? i see no other reason for all the love towards him.

justasportsfan
11-28-2009, 07:49 PM
interesting. Grimm HC , trestman OC , fewell DC , Keep April asst HC/ST

BertSquirtgum
11-28-2009, 08:24 PM
interesting. Grimm HC , trestman OC , fewell DC , Keep April asst HC/ST

i really don't want fewell on this team but if that did happen. i would not be insanely irate with that.

McBFLO
11-28-2009, 08:59 PM
based on what ...... ?
based on the fact that this doosh (IAG) will say anything to get his reputation further negative.

topher180
11-28-2009, 11:02 PM
Jim Zorn had no coordinating or assistant head coach experience prior to joining the Redskins and 10years pro-coaching experience

Raheem Morris has 5 years pro-coaching experience

Russ Grimm has had 17 years coaching experience, has been an assistant Head Coach and won a Superbowl ring as an assistant. And it is a well known fact that Cowher relied heavily on his coaches and coordinators at Pittsburgh.

To compare him to Zorn or Morris shows a total lack of football knowledge.

You are grasping. You totally went to Raheem Morris's Wiki page. I think d-riding an unproven assistant is more ridiculous than what he said.

"It's a well known fact" that Cowher relied on coaches and coordinators? Soooo, other coaches DO NOT rely on them? And what exactly is your unit of measurement here? Do you have a ruler or scale that measures in amount of "help". Perhaps you were there, in Pittsburgh, while all of this happened.

Saying someone totally lacks football knowledge is as much smarmy as it is indicitive of insecurity.

Night Train
11-29-2009, 06:49 AM
Why the love for this guy ? I know him from his playing days but he's a line coach.

Just because the press writes some favorable articles on him, it still translates to zero HC experience. A complete unknown and after 10 years of pretending, we don't need a total question mark.

kernowboy
11-29-2009, 07:17 AM
You are grasping. You totally went to Raheem Morris's Wiki page. I think d-riding an unproven assistant is more ridiculous than what he said.

"It's a well known fact" that Cowher relied on coaches and coordinators? Soooo, other coaches DO NOT rely on them? And what exactly is your unit of measurement here? Do you have a ruler or scale that measures in amount of "help". Perhaps you were there, in Pittsburgh, while all of this happened.

Saying someone totally lacks football knowledge is as much smarmy as it is indicitive of insecurity.

I looked to see what experience Morris had in football. You cannot compare a relatively experienced coordinator with a comparative novice. Zorn had little experience outside of being a QB coach. He's not been a coordinator in any sense.

As for Cowher, just look at his coaching staff - most have gone on to be Head Coaches or are veteran experts in their field. Just look at the GMs who have assembled the players for Cowher to use. The concern for me is that as an actual coach, Cowher is more a figurehead than a difference maker unlike Shanahan for example, and put in a situation where he doesn't have the support network, will he replicate his success?

As for being smarmy, someone who claims a candidate suggested by a poster, sucks but is too lazy or ignorant to even attempt to justify their position, deserves to have their football knowledge question.

It was smarmy of you to think otherwise.

Novacane
11-29-2009, 07:31 AM
Russ Grimm stinks.

But Perry Fewell is the next great coach :rolleyes: If a Perry I've never done **** Fewell lover thinks Grimm stinks he probably would be a great choice.

HHURRICANE
11-29-2009, 07:33 AM

HAHAAHAHA! Fewell isn't a good D coordinator let alone head coaching material.