PDA

View Full Version : Why so desperate to draft a QB in 2010?

kernowboy
11-29-2009, 07:05 AM
Some say it is the most important position on the field, but no QB can really succeed without a decent running game, receivers who can catch the ball, or an OL who will give him the time to find those receivers.

None of the current Top 3 prospects - Clausen, Locker, Bradford - appear 'can't miss' prospects whilst others such as Tebow carry a boom or bust label. Succeeding in college is no guarantee of succeeding in the NFL.

I've had a look at the 2011 seniors and juniors to see if addressing other needs in 2010 draft and going with a caretaker / game manager QB behind a line with the most important position of LT addressed would not allow us to seriously consider the franchise QB option in 2011.

Prospects in 2011 - assuming Locker declares but Mallett doesn't - include

Ryan Mallett*
Pat Devlin
Christian Ponder
Blaine Gabbert*
Terrelle Pryor*
John Brantley*
Case Keenum

as well as the possibility that Matt Bradley** or Andrew Luck** might also enter the draft.

For me Keenum has all the leadership attributes, a better than average arm, and unlike Tebow and Clausen, his team wins only if he plays.

Looking at the prospects above, I think it makes sense to get the foundations of the franchise sorted, see who might come up in Free Agency, take a very look at Brian Brohm, before panicking into a 2010 high QB pick who will get 'killed' behind our OL especially if we continue to start Demetrius 'Turnstyle' Bell.

HHURRICANE
11-29-2009, 07:17 AM
The Vikings are a prime example of how things need to work. So many things were addressed first before the last missing piece showed up.

We aren't ready for a QB.

How do you think Favre would do on the Bills?

Until the o-line is fixed there is absolutely no reason to even talk QB.

We have Lynch and Jackson and we run like crap. It's all o-line related. Edwards wouldn't need to be that good if we had a real o-line.

Tatonka
11-29-2009, 07:20 AM
no team has ever been a consistently good team without a great qb.

tampabay25690
11-29-2009, 07:27 AM
Some say it is the most important position on the field, but no QB can really succeed without a decent running game, receivers who can catch the ball, or an OL who will give him the time to find those receivers.

None of the current Top 3 prospects - Clausen, Locker, Bradford - appear 'can't miss' prospects whilst others such as Tebow carry a boom or bust label. Succeeding in college is no guarantee of succeeding in the NFL.

I've had a look at the 2011 seniors and juniors to see if addressing other needs in 2010 draft and going with a caretaker / game manager QB behind a line with the most important position of LT addressed would not allow us to seriously consider the franchise QB option in 2011.

Prospects in 2011 - assuming Locker declares but Mallett doesn't - include

Ryan Mallett*
Pat Devlin
Christian Ponder
Blaine Gabbert*
Terrelle Pryor*
John Brantley*
Case Keenum

as well as the possibility that Matt Bradley** or Andrew Luck** might also enter the draft.

For me Keenum has all the leadership attributes, a better than average arm, and unlike Tebow and Clausen, his team wins only if he plays.

Looking at the prospects above, I think it makes sense to get the foundations of the franchise sorted, see who might come up in Free Agency, take a very look at Brian Brohm, before panicking into a 2010 high QB pick who will get 'killed' behind our OL especially if we continue to start Demetrius 'Turnstyle' Bell.

TO be honest any of the QB's coming out could be a bust....
Depends on what team and the system they are drafted to.
Thsi year will be interesting.
Everyone says Bradford right away but I want to see how that shoulder is doing during the combine...

HHURRICANE
11-29-2009, 07:29 AM
no team has ever been a consistently good team without a great qb.

Don't get me wrong, I think the QB position is the most important position on the team.

However, this team isn't getting fixed in one season and until the o-line is fixed the QB position isn't the highest priority.