PDA

View Full Version : Ready to Add "Fewell" to the Fire

IAG
11-29-2009, 07:40 AM
Fewell will coach a great game today and have everyone (including Jerry Sullivan) wondering if he should be the next coach of this team.

This will be the best the Bills play in many years today.

kernowboy
11-29-2009, 07:45 AM
Hi Perry

IAG
11-29-2009, 07:48 AM
You guys will love him if he wins today

HHURRICANE
11-29-2009, 07:49 AM
He's not winning this game today.

Please show up after the game to get your punishment.

IAG
11-29-2009, 07:57 AM
I will show up after the game, but if the Bills win you will have some lame excuse to why Fewell should not be given a shot around these parts.

kernowboy
11-29-2009, 08:13 AM
I will show up after the game, but if the Bills win you will have some lame excuse to why Fewell should not be given a shot around these parts.

What lame excuse? - when Haslett took over the Rams, and lost a load of games he was not given a shot

What makes you think Fewell should be Head Coach? Apart from either being Perry himself or a close family relation

IAG
11-29-2009, 08:17 AM
Because I think the guy can coach that makes me idiot I guess. You will see a different Bills team today compared to the teams of the past.

SquishDaFish
11-29-2009, 08:22 AM
I do think the team will look improved every week from here on out. Just by having a coach with heart which will trickle through the team. I saw it last week and it will continue. But Perry wont be the head coach next year.

mybills
11-29-2009, 08:33 AM
I do think the team will look improved every week from here on out. Just by having a coach with heart which will trickle through the team. I saw it last week and it will continue. But Perry wont be the head coach next year.
Yeah, I don't think he will be, either. But the Bills have a shot at winning today, just because anything can happen on game day. I honestly can't sit here and say the Bills "will lose". That's as crazy as saying they "will win".

MikeInRoch
11-29-2009, 08:35 AM
He's not winning this game today.

Please show up after the game to get your punishment.

And if they do manage to win, will you show up?

Typ0
11-29-2009, 08:51 AM
Fewell will coach a great game today and have everyone (including Jerry Sullivan) wondering if he should be the next coach of this team.

This team doesn't need another guy we have no idea can do the job.

IAG
11-29-2009, 08:54 AM
Maybe he will prove that knows what he is doing by the end of the year?

Typ0
11-29-2009, 08:57 AM
Maybe he will prove that knows what he is doing by the end of the year?

Impossible. There are many responsibilities that will center around building this team that take place in the offseason, throughout training camp and into the regular season that he has not had responsibility for. This is someone else's team right now and was built around someone elses ideas. He's still working with DJs framework basically we will get no idea of what PF will do to/with this team in the few remaining games.

IAG
11-29-2009, 09:03 AM
Impossible. There are many responsibilities that will center around building this team that take place in the offseason, throughout training camp and into the regular season that he has not had responsibility for. This is someone else's team right now and was built around someone elses ideas. He's still working with DJs framework basically we will get no idea of what PF will do to/with this team in the few remaining games.

Wins will change all of that.

kernowboy
11-29-2009, 09:12 AM
When was the last time a coordinator from a losing regime, won the permanent HC position on a team?

IAG
11-29-2009, 09:13 AM
Mike Singletary

kernowboy
11-29-2009, 09:13 AM
And aren't the 49ers doing well

IAG
11-29-2009, 09:16 AM
Singletary, like Fewell, will be great coaches in this league for awhile to come.

BTW, if the Bills hirer a big time coach, you will be the same people complaining that the Bills are not getting enough wins for their money.

Just sign Fewell.

kernowboy
11-29-2009, 09:20 AM
Singletary, like Fewell, will be great coaches in this league for awhile to come.

BTW, if the Bills hirer a big time coach, you will be the same people complaining that the Bills are not getting enough wins for their money.

Just sign Fewell.

No I won't because I am not one if favour of the so-called A list.

However Fewell is too tainted by Jauron's regime to be a success here, and this team needs a clean sweep to move forward

IAG
11-29-2009, 09:22 AM
No I won't because I am not one if favour of the so-called A list.

However Fewell is too tainted by Jauron's regime to be a success here, and this team needs a clean sweep to move forward

I just would not let this guy out the door. He is going to have them play like their hair is on fire today.

shelby
11-29-2009, 09:49 AM
i am a huge fan of the HC showing emotion on the sidelines. But i don't know if Fewell has what it takes to be the Bills permanent HC.

DynaPaul
11-29-2009, 09:51 AM
He will win the game for 3 quarters and then there will be another epic collapse in the 4th.

HHURRICANE
11-29-2009, 10:06 AM
And if they do manage to win, will you show up?

Don't worry, I'll be here today. I'm just wondering if Ricky can break the record for most yards in a game.

BTW is Fitzpatrick starting?

shelby
11-29-2009, 10:12 AM
yes.

SquishDaFish
11-29-2009, 10:28 AM
We held one of the best in Drew pretty much in check last week. Why are you saying Pothead is going to break a big mark? We will do just fine against him.

Nighthawk
11-29-2009, 10:36 AM

IAG = Tool

IAG
11-29-2009, 10:48 AM
IAG = Tool

Thanks Nighthawk. I really appreciate it.

Makes me want to leave being a Bills fan. Maybe I will.

mybills
11-29-2009, 10:57 AM

Don't listen to him. You have your own opinion and that's fine, but wouldn't it be better to have him go back to being the DC? HC just doesn't seem to fit him. Our D has been doing pretty good (see BEASTMODE's post) and that's largely due to Perry, but he may be gone when they bring somebody new in, (which they probably will) and that'll be because they don't think he's qualified.

imbondz
11-29-2009, 11:14 AM
Our D hasn't been THAT good. Why would we even consider Fewell long term. makes no sense. We'd just be doing the same thing we've done the past 10 years.

IAG
11-29-2009, 01:09 PM
How you like Fewell NOW!!!

IAG
11-29-2009, 01:25 PM
Bills look energetic and executing!!!

Fewell in 2010!!!

Nighthawk
11-29-2009, 01:30 PM

Cool...

kernowboy
11-29-2009, 01:31 PM
Williams is avg over 5yds a carry.

Fitz used his experience to benefit from a huge Fins mistake.

Not sure what Fewell has contributed. If we want another cheerleader he could join the Jills

kelly2reed4six
11-29-2009, 01:35 PM
The only way I would be ok with Fewell is if we hire an excellent GM who decides for himself to keep him as the coach. If it is a decision by Ralph Wilson I would be pissed.

BILLSROCK1212
11-29-2009, 02:05 PM
i'm impressed w/ Fewell today...

YardRat
11-29-2009, 03:02 PM
Nice call IAG...props.

Nighthawk
11-29-2009, 03:09 PM
Nice call IAG...props.

Yeah, one win and Fewell is the next coming of Bill Parcells. I seriously love how ignorant Bills fans are...what a joke.

YardRat
11-29-2009, 03:12 PM
Just giving credit where credit is due.

BillsWin
11-29-2009, 03:18 PM
He coached a good game. Hats off to AVP too. He looked competent at certain points today. Im still not sure if he is a permenant option. Is he the kind of coach who can turn this ship wreck of a franchise around? I don't know... I would rather put that task in the hands of a coach like Shanahan or Cowher.

Mahdi
11-29-2009, 03:21 PM
I give Fewell credit for turning things around. However, this is typical of a team who's coach was fired and there is a new HC.

Philosophy is different, approach is different, team is revitalized by changes and it often leads to a few wins. Even changes things for opponents who are not sure what to expect.

For the long term Buffalo needs a proven coach that has succeeded in the league if they want to make a push into the playoffs. Fewell will lose his luster eventually and we will be sitting here wishing we had made a play for one of the big coaches.

Nighthawk
11-29-2009, 03:25 PM
I give Fewell credit for turning things around. However, this is typical of a team who's coach was fired and there is a new HC.

Philosophy is different, approach is different, team is revitalized by changes and it often leads to a few wins. Even changes things for opponents who are not sure what to expect.

For the long term Buffalo needs a proven coach that has succeeded in the league if they want to make a push into the playoffs. Fewell will lose his luster eventually and we will be sitting here wishing we had made a play for one of the big coaches.

What are you talking about? He's got fire and they beat a bad Phins team...don't you know he's the next coming of Vince Lombardi?

HHURRICANE
11-29-2009, 03:27 PM
I already gave AIG props for his call. We still need a real coach.

Luisito23
11-29-2009, 03:32 PM
Glad to see logical people are not jumping into Fewell's banwagon after one win against another bad team.

Nighthawk
11-29-2009, 03:33 PM
Glad to see logical people are not jumping into Fewell's banwagon after one win against another bad team.

What are you talking about...aren't you drinking the kool-aid??? I mean, he's awesome...

MikeInRoch
11-29-2009, 03:48 PM
Don't worry, I'll be here today. I'm just wondering if Ricky can break the record for most yards in a game.

BTW is Fitzpatrick starting?

A "yes, you were right and I was wrong" would be lovely. Thanks.

IAG
11-29-2009, 07:11 PM
When was the last time a coordinator from a losing regime, won the permanent HC position on a team?

BTW, Mike Singletary just beat the Jags and put his team back in the playoff race.

mybills
11-29-2009, 07:26 PM
Our D hasn't been THAT good.
Oh, sorry, 1st to keep NO (the likely super bowl winner) under 30 points after they put up 40+ points against those before us, and reek havoc on Chris Johnson, Jones Drew, and Ricky Williams? I MUST be mistaken.

HAMMER
11-30-2009, 01:31 AM
What are you talking about? He's got fire and they beat a bad Phins team...don't you know he's the next coming of Vince Lombardi?

This post*# is a major douche. Suck it Chickenhawk!

BertSquirtgum
11-30-2009, 04:44 AM
it was nice to feel good at ralph wilson stadium for once this year.

justasportsfan
11-30-2009, 09:35 AM
Not until Fewell beats the elite teams . If he does with the talent we have (left) , I would seriously consider it. Lets see what he can do vs. BB vs. Colts

colin
11-30-2009, 10:00 AM
the guys (night hawk and all) who get in iag's face are some total losers. the guy who called him a tool is both a bad hating bills fan and does not know football.

guy stepped up, made a call, and our young interim hc did very well, but the dingleberrys can't just enjoy the win.

how many of you are pats fans?

WeAreArthurMoates
11-30-2009, 10:44 AM
Funny how going into the game the Fins were a good team and were going to smoke us. Now that we crushed them there a bad team. Love the justicification.

ddaryl
11-30-2009, 11:06 AM
the guys (night hawk and all) who get in iag's face are some total losers. the guy who called him a tool is both a bad hating bills fan and does not know football.

guy stepped up, made a call, and our young interim hc did very well, but the dingleberrys can't just enjoy the win.

I agree with hawk and eveyrone who is sick of this teams losing tradition. I have no more patience for pretending this team is a DC promotion away from actually being a real NFL team. THEY ARE NOT and all of you know this.

and IAG is jumping on the Perry bandwagon way to soon. I'll give Perry credit in 5 more weeks IF he wins 4 out of the next 5, and does so by having the team play solid consisenet football that doesn't require the last 3 minutes of a game to put up the points on the boaord necessary to win.

When I see that style of solid football then and only then will I have even the slight desire to see Pperry get the opportunity to interview for the HC job. Until then I have never been impressed with his D's especially the 4-3 and I do not think his D's have ever matched up well with the great teams or teams with a hot QB.

Do I want the Bills to lose.. Hell NO.. but at this point IT DOES NOT MATTER AT ALL AND ACTUALLY ADDS ARGUMENT TO THE LAME NOTION THAT WE SHOULD ACCEPT PERRY AS OUR HC NEXT YEAR. Something I will have a hard time acceptimg under most every signle scenario short of making the playoffs and winning a playoff game or 2

The King
11-30-2009, 11:14 AM
If Perry beats the Pats he has my endorsement.

Nighthawk
11-30-2009, 12:03 PM

Anybody getting excited after one win over a very average team and thinking Perry Fewell should be the next HC of this team, need to get their heads examined. Stop cheerleading and realize that this entire FO needs an overhaul and keeping Fewell will not allow that to happen. But hey, you're the genious...right?

HHURRICANE
11-30-2009, 12:05 PM
A "yes, you were right and I was wrong" would be lovely. Thanks.

Yes. I agree.

DraftBoy
11-30-2009, 12:06 PM
Anybody getting excited after one win over a very average team and thinking Perry Fewell should be the next HC of this team, need to get their heads examined. Stop cheerleading and realize that this entire FO needs an overhaul and keeping Fewell will not allow that to happen. But hey, you're the genious...right?

Dolphins are a team in playoff contention who we just beat. That's above average, give the team some credit for once. They did not just beat them, they whipped their ass.

Mahdi
11-30-2009, 12:14 PM
Dolphins are a team in playoff contention who we just beat. That's above average, give the team some credit for once. They did not just beat them, they whipped their ass.
The Dolphins are an average team DB.

They have a great run game, no pass game, and an average defense. That makes them average.

We are also average or a little worse. So beating the Phins was nothing special.

If you think Perry Fewell will get us to the playoffs against Bellichick, Parcells and Rex then you're just getting caught up in the emotion of a team that is playing for their futures.

Every Buffalo Bill is playing for their name right now because they dont know where they will be next year and if they want a solid contract in 2010 they have to play well now to earn it.

There is plenty of extra incentive to win for these guys right now and you also have a coach who is playing aggressive football because he has nothing to lose and everything to gain. If Fewell was the HC at the beginning of the season do you think he throws the ball deep to T.O. in that situation or does he run the ball and play safe???

DraftBoy
11-30-2009, 12:16 PM
The Dolphins are an average team DB.

They have a great run game, no pass game, and an average defense. That makes them average.

We are also average or a little worse. So beating the Phins was nothing special.

If you think Perry Fewell will get us to the playoffs against Bellichick, Parcells and Rex then you're just getting caught up in the emotion of a team that is playing for their futures.

Every Buffalo Bill is playing for their name right now because they dont know where they will be next year and if they want a solid contract in 2010 they have to play well now to earn it.

There is plenty of extra incentive to win for these guys right now and you also have a coach who is playing aggressive football because he has nothing to lose and everything to gain. If Fewell was the HC at the beginning of the season do you think he throws the ball deep to T.O. in that situation or does he run the ball and play safe???

How many teams make the playoffs each season?

Nighthawk
11-30-2009, 12:16 PM

They're average...I said it early in the season when they beat us and I haven't wavered.

trapezeus
11-30-2009, 12:18 PM
I'm rooting for Fewell to succeed. buffalo fans love a great underdog story. That being said, i need to see the remaining games played out.

The win was encouraging. However, when it was 14-14, we got the ball back at their 40 after a decent punt return. Playoff teams do not settle for a 56 yard field goal after a false start penalty, a sack, and a dump off. Especially in a rivalry game with the home crowd behind you.

It worked out, but this team has lacked consistency for 10 years. Perry has to show that he knows how to add consistency back to the roster.

- home games have to be win games.
- 2nd half's have to look better than 1st half.
- responding to scoring drives withour own drives like they did to the dolphins has to be regular.

if he does this for the remaining games and he wins, i wouldn't mind just getting a real GM with real scouts and giving the guy a chance.

Mahdi
11-30-2009, 12:18 PM
How many teams make the playoffs each season?
yer point?

DraftBoy
11-30-2009, 12:19 PM
yer point?

32 teams in the NFL, 12 total playoff teams. Average teams don't make the NFL playoffs, you have to be above the average in the NFL to make the playoffs. Just simple statistics is all.

Mahdi
11-30-2009, 12:29 PM
32 teams in the NFL, 12 total playoff teams. Average teams don't make the NFL playoffs, you have to be above the average in the NFL to make the playoffs. Just simple statistics is all.
Right. And I want us to be better than average. Which is why I want a proven coach in here with a proven method. So we can be better than average and make the playoffs.

I knew once Jauron was fired that all this would happen and I said it the day the announced Fewell as the interim HC.

Fewell would turn things around, the team would play different, we would win a couple games and the ever-emotional Bills fans would buy into it and suddenly the idea of Fewell as the HC long term would sink in and it becomes a great story. Ralph meanwhile is laughing because he just bought another year of cheap coaching and fan satisfaction.

Then when reality sets in and we are playing a new season with high hopes and playoff dreams are on the line, suddenly this Fewell aura is no more and we look like the same old Bills.

Then we cry and put up ads that we have bad coaching and management.

We never learn.

Nighthawk
11-30-2009, 12:35 PM
Right. And I want us to be better than average. Which is why I want a proven coach in here with a proven method. So we can be better than average and make the playoffs.

I knew once Jauron was fired that all this would happen and I said it the day the announced Fewell as the interim HC.

Fewell would turn things around, the team would play different, we would win a couple games and the ever-emotional Bills fans would buy into it and suddenly the idea of Fewell as the HC long term would sink in and it becomes a great story. Ralph meanwhile is laughing because he just bought another year of cheap coaching and fan satisfaction.

Then when reality sets in and we are playing a new season with high hopes and playoff dreams are on the line, suddenly this Fewell aura is no more and we look like the same old Bills.

We never learn.

Excellent f'n post! This is exactly what is happening today with some fans...they are happy, why not, the Bills just beat the hated rival Dolphins, but seriously, does it bring us any closer to what all of us want...A CHAMPIONSHIP? Ummm, no and it could possibly push us towards more mediocrity. I think everybody is right today and there is nobody who is wrong. Fans should be happy we beat the hell out of the Phins, but I understand fans (like myself) who are looking at the bigger picture and are worried that keeping Fewell might derail the much needed housecleaning. My point is...there are cases for each side, but everybody needs to understand that the most important thing is getting the right people in here to change the direction of this franchise moving forward, not winning a game that may give us immediate gratification, but in the big scheme of things, means very little.

HAMMER
11-30-2009, 01:46 PM
You play to win, no matter what, anything else is a losers mentality.

Mahdi
11-30-2009, 02:08 PM
You play to win, no matter what, anything else is a losers mentality.
Its a loser's mentality when you are the player, I agree. But if you are the fan wanting what is best for the team is just as "FANLY" as wanting a meaningless win.

The NFL is about Championships. Not winning when it dont count.

madness
11-30-2009, 02:28 PM
If Perry goes 2-0 in less than a week against div. opponents and goes at least 2-2 in the last 4 games, he should be strongly considered.

HAMMER
11-30-2009, 02:37 PM
Its a loser's mentality when you are the player, I agree. But if you are the fan wanting what is best for the team is just as "FANLY" as wanting a meaningless win.

The NFL is about Championships. Not winning when it dont count.

It is a losing mentality period! You play games to win, unless the opponent is a little kid.

BuffaloBlitz83
11-30-2009, 02:46 PM
If Perry goes 2-0 in less than a week against div. opponents and goes at least 2-2 in the last 4 games, he should be strongly considered.

the Jets will beat us up with run game and good defense. Sanchez has been turned into a game manager so we won't get 5 ints

We will beat up KC.

Atl will kill us

Indy will pummel us.

The Pats will shame us to prove week 1 was a fluke for being close.

1-4 down the stretch. At best 2-3 if we beat the Jets.

5 or 6 Wins won't save Fool

Typ0
11-30-2009, 05:11 PM

not true. average teams make it every year by playing a weaker schedule.

yordad
11-30-2009, 05:27 PM
32 teams in the NFL, 12 total playoff teams. Average teams don't make the NFL playoffs, you have to be above the average in the NFL to make the playoffs. Just simple statistics is all.Unless you have 9 average teams.

DraftBoy
11-30-2009, 05:58 PM
not true. average teams make it every year by playing a weaker schedule.

You can prove their average teams? Because their Win-Loss Record says differently. Weaker schedule or not you still have to win the games.

DraftBoy
11-30-2009, 05:59 PM

We never learn.

How you turned what I said into something about endorsing Fewell or not, is beyond me. But ok, Im willing to see what Perry does the rest of the way, Im by no means ready to just hand him the keys already.

yordad
11-30-2009, 06:14 PM
You can prove their average teams? Because their Win-Loss Record says differently. Weaker schedule or not you still have to win the games.To play devils advocate..... if the record is a "tell all", then why do we have playoffs? They should just crown the guy with the best record.

DraftBoy
11-30-2009, 06:20 PM
To play devils advocate..... if the record is a "tell all", then why do we have playoffs? They should just crown the guy with the best record.

Great question, for the NFL though not me. I didn't decide to use the record as the indicator.

Typ0
12-01-2009, 06:35 AM
You can prove their average teams? Because their Win-Loss Record says differently. Weaker schedule or not you still have to win the games.

I did this analysis back in 03 and determined that SOS plays a significant role in teams making the playoffs.

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=7758&highlight=weaker+schedule+playoffs

IAG
02-05-2012, 09:18 PM
I am resurrecting a thread from awhile back. I do not care. I got flamed for advocating the Bills keep Perry Fewell.

Tonight's display of play calling and adjustments versus the Pats show that the Bills had a young, hungry and motivated coach in their hands and let him go.

Fewell will be a head coach soon and we will be frustrated to see his results...

Congrats Perry. I always wanted you here.

BertSquirtgum
02-05-2012, 09:20 PM
eat it.

YardRat
02-05-2012, 09:21 PM
Congrats to Perry and I'm happy for him, but success as a coordinator doesn't necessarily translate to the same as HC, as we should all know very well.

Mr. Pink
02-05-2012, 09:23 PM

Just sign Fewell.

Since you decided to bring this thread out of retirement, I felt I had to quote this post...

Good call on Singletary!!! :rofl:

IAG
02-05-2012, 09:29 PM
Since you decided to bring this thread out of retirement, I felt I had to quote this post...

Good call on Singletary!!! :rofl:

Just admit that the Bills have no clue what they are doing in terms of picking coaches and front office people in the past five years. I missed on Singletary, but tell me Fewell would not offer more promise than Chan Gailey?

I admit my mistake on Singletary...admit that Fewell would be a great HC in terms of potential?

Crisis
02-05-2012, 09:37 PM
Nope, Fewell is a good DC and thats about it.

Mr. Pink
02-05-2012, 09:43 PM
Just admit that the Bills have no clue what they are doing in terms of picking coaches and front office people in the past five years. I missed on Singletary, but tell me Fewell would not offer more promise than Chan Gailey?

I admit my mistake on Singletary...admit that Fewell would be a great HC in terms of potential?

Chan Gailey was a great HC in terms of potential he showed in Dallas too. What's your point?

If Fewell was as good as you think he is, he'd be an NFL HC right now, not a DC.

IAG
02-06-2012, 05:34 AM
Make yourself feel better that the Bills management knows what they are doing...keep it up.