PDA

View Full Version : The Tuna recipe to NFL success

Don't Panic
11-29-2009, 10:59 AM
http://www.buffalonews.com/452/story/876658.html#

I'm not advocating a 100% commitment to the Parcells way, but there are good points in here worth following:

1. Build from the inside out

Parcells' teams always have been tough in the trenches. They are big and physical in the defensive front seven. The offensive line is the first thing to be solidified.
That's what Parcells did last year in Miami when he drafted left tackle Jake Long No. 1 overall and made left guard Justin Smiley his first free-agent signing.
Patriots coach Bill Belichick talked about the constants with Parcells' teams last year: "The defensive linemen are big. They're all strong. All the outside linebackers can rush. The corners are big. The running backs are big. The tackles are big. They're a big, powerful team."

They mention our interior line being upgraded and the question of 3-4 vs. 4-3 as well.

5. Draft QB with track record

ESPN analyst Jon Gruden this season extolled Parcells' keys for drafting a quarterback. Among them: He likes a senior with three-plus years of starting experience, at least 23 college wins, and a college graduate. The longer the track record, the easier it is to judge the player.
Chad Henne, who starts today for Miami, was a four-year starter who went 33-14 at Michigan, and he graduated.

Definitely worth considering for anyone advocating a QB in the 1st round.

All in all, there are some good pointers in there. Worth a read.

Ginger Vitis
11-29-2009, 11:05 AM
meh.. The Tuna is overrated..

ddaryl
11-29-2009, 11:07 AM
meh.. The Tuna is overrated..

Not really...

personally the 5 step Parcells approach sounds about the way I would go about it.

if you look at the Bills apporach over the last decade minus last years draft we have pretty much failed to follow this code of big strong guys on the front 7 of the D nor have we done a good job with the OL.

Ginger Vitis
11-29-2009, 11:08 AM
How many playoff games did the Cowboys win under his watch?

Don't Panic
11-29-2009, 11:17 AM
Are we really debating whether or not Bill Parcells knows what he's talking about?

Ginger Vitis
11-29-2009, 11:25 AM
So Parcells doesn't like divas.. hence why jason Taylor was banished to the Redskins when he participated on Dancing With The Stars.. yet Taylor was brought back this year and Ricky Williams is on the team even though he had a long track record of drama.. and Joey Porter is still on the team even though he is the biggest smack talker in the NFL.. Its very easy to cut the field goal kicker to make a example.. bottom line Parcells will make room for you if you have talent regardless of everything else.. hes no different than anyone else in the NFL

Don't Panic
11-29-2009, 12:00 PM
hes no different than anyone else in the NFL

Minus the multiple Super Bowl appearances...

Ingtar33
11-29-2009, 12:34 PM
Parcells is right about QBs.

There is a pretty ridicules stat i was shown when i first got into college scouting... where the % of NFL quality QBs found in college was directly tied to their number of starts... i seem to recall the cut off point was basically between 22-28 starts. QBs with less then 22 starts had an astronomical "Bust" rate in the NFL... while those over 28 starts busted at about the same rate most other players taken in the draft did.

You didn't really guarantee anything by taking a 2+ year starter, but you cut down on the chance of drafting a bust dramatically.

YardRat
11-29-2009, 03:15 PM
If the philosophy of building from the inside out is considered 'genius', we've got hundreds of posters on this board that qualify.