PDA

View Full Version : Maybin....

OpIv37
11-29-2009, 08:14 PM
is still useless. I saw him make one play- on that stretch play to the sideline- and I think he made the QB step up in the pocket once. But other than that, he was neutralized at the LOS every time.

He tries to juke blockers like a running back would juke a potential tackler because once the blocker gets his hands on him, Maybin doesn't have the strength to go through or around him. I knew he was a project but damn- I really didn't expect him to be completely ineffective, especially this late in the season.

Maybe he'll be better after a full off-season of conditioning and a full training camp. After all, it took Bruce 2 or 3 seasons to come into his own. But the early results are not promising.

And it doesn't help that I live in Skins country, so I constantly have to hear about how great Orakpo is doing.

billsburgh
11-29-2009, 08:21 PM
the only way he's ever going to contribute to this team is as an OLB in a 3-4 D

psubills62
11-29-2009, 08:27 PM
I never expected the Bills to draft Maybin. He was a big project and didn't fit our needs at all. From that pick, it was obvious that Jauron had zero urgency whatsoever and didn't consider his job to be in jeopardy, imo.

Maybin certainly needs work and may benefit from a switch to the 3-4 (which wouldn't be that effective for a couple year anyway, as we'd need a lot of new and better players).

However, I think one thing that should not be underestimated by Bills fans is his work ethic. Maybin does not stop working to get better. I think he'll benefit from a year of conditioning and full offseason practices. Don't forget that he missed a lot of TC.

He's also still very young. Whitner is just now coming into his own - it took him four years and he's 24 now. Maybin is still 21. It's disappointing that he hasn't made an impact at all this year, but he deserves at least another couple years to prove himself.

jonah7777
11-29-2009, 08:45 PM
More proof Guy and Modrak need to be fired now

topher180
11-29-2009, 09:03 PM
I never expected the Bills to draft Maybin. He was a big project and didn't fit our needs at all. From that pick, it was obvious that Jauron had zero urgency whatsoever and didn't consider his job to be in jeopardy, imo.

Maybin certainly needs work and may benefit from a switch to the 3-4 (which wouldn't be that effective for a couple year anyway, as we'd need a lot of new and better players).

However, I think one thing that should not be underestimated by Bills fans is his work ethic. Maybin does not stop working to get better. I think he'll benefit from a year of conditioning and full offseason practices. Don't forget that he missed a lot of TC.

He's also still very young. Whitner is just now coming into his own - it took him four years and he's 24 now. Maybin is still 21. It's disappointing that he hasn't made an impact at all this year, but he deserves at least another couple years to prove himself.
Logical argument. I haven't gotten on the bandwagon of bashers, but today, during the shots of him hugging everyone on the sideline after they made a big play (TO, Whitner), I started to turn the corner. I realized I had forgotten he was on the team. He has 6 solo tackles all year. I get what you are saying, and am not disagreeing, but starter or no starter, project or no project, 6 tackles is a bit of a disaster IMO.

I think people are less patient because so many young players have contributed on other teams, at various positions, in their first year. I think Poz and Whitner are grossly overated amongst Bills fans, but on the other hand, Byrd has been a nice suprise of which I certainly didn't anticipate. You take the good with the bad.

Most egregious though, is that fact that a safety is playing LB and the Bills haven't even tried, just tried, to get Maybin a few snaps at LB.

psubills62
11-29-2009, 09:24 PM
Logical argument. I haven't gotten on the bandwagon of bashers, but today, during the shots of him hugging everyone on the sideline after they made a big play (TO, Whitner), I started to turn the corner. I realized I had forgotten he was on the team. He has 6 solo tackles all year. I get what you are saying, and am not disagreeing, but starter or no starter, project or no project, 6 tackles is a bit of a disaster IMO.

I think people are less patient because so many young players have contributed on other teams, at various positions, in their first year. I think Poz and Whitner are grossly overated amongst Bills fans, but on the other hand, Byrd has been a nice suprise of which I certainly didn't anticipate. You take the good with the bad.

Most egregious though, is that fact that a safety is playing LB and the Bills haven't even tried, just tried, to get Maybin a few snaps at LB.

I know what you're saying, and Maybin's play certainly hasn't made the detractors back off. I just think people are getting far too used to rookies contributing early. It's getting to the point where most rookies are doing really well their first year, but some still need time. Especially young ones, like Maybin. I don't think any draft pick should be labeled a disaster until a couple years after he's chosen.

Besides our 2010 draft picks, Maybin will be the guy I'm going to pay attention to the most next year. Not only will he have a whole year to build up his strength and weight, but we'll have a new coach who may use him differently than Jauron and Fewell.

I personally hope we keep Bob Sanders as the DL coach. He's managed to get quite the production out of a minimally talented DL, and I'd like to see if he can develop Maybin into something over the next couple years.

Whether or not people like to hear it, Maybin is a project. Yeah, it sucks that he won't contribute, yeah it sucks that he won't be great for at least a couple years, but it was unrealistic to expect an undersized, YOUNG player to be great right away. He has a LOT of potential, and maybe if we get a coach who can tap into young players' potential, we'd finally realize that some projects are worth it.

We'll have to see, but I know this kid works REALLY hard at being a great player. When a guy has work ethic AND ability, it's hard to just cast him off after one season as a bust. I have a difficult time believing he couldn't turn into something special if he's put into the right position (maybe 3-4 OLB?).

JMO.

topher180
11-29-2009, 11:12 PM
I know what your saying, and Maybin's play certainly hasn't made the detractors back off. I just think people are getting far too used to rookies contributing early. It's getting to the point where most rookies are doing really well their first year, but some still need time. Especially young ones, like Maybin. I don't think any draft pick should be labeled a disaster until a couple years after he's chosen.

Besides our 2010 draft picks, Maybin will be the guy I'm going to pay attention to the most next year. Not only will he have a whole year to build up his strength and weight, but we'll have a new coach who may use him differently than Jauron and Fewell.

I personally hope we keep Bob Sanders as the DL coach. He's managed to get quite the production out of a minimally talented DL, and I'd like to see if he can develop Maybin into something over the next couple years.

Whether or not people like to hear it, Maybin is a project. Yeah, it sucks that he won't contribute, yeah it sucks that he won't be great for at least a couple years, but it was unrealistic to expect an undersized, YOUNG player to be great right away. He has a LOT of potential, and maybe if we get a coach who can tap into young players' potential, we'd finally realize that some projects are worth it.

We'll have to see, but I know this kid works REALLY hard at being a great player. When a guy has work ethic AND ability, it's hard to just cast him off after one season as a bust. I have a difficult time believing he couldn't turn into something special if he's put into the right position (maybe 3-4 OLB?).

JMO.

I hope your sentiments on his talent and work ethic are right. Being a Penn State fan, you would likely have a larger sample than I would in terms of watching the guy play/doing research on him. To be fair though, we don't really know how hard he is working now that he is in the NFL, even if he has every reason to to prove himself.

Let me clarify though, I am not casting him a bust. The old adage has been 3 years to fully evaluate draft picks, and I don't think that's changed, has it? I think we agree that the rookies performing immediately has become more of the norm, and that has drastically effected people's opinions. Also, when it comes to Bills fans, I think they just have a shorter fuse because of the team's complete disarray, especially in terms of talent. That goes back to your point, that this likely wasn't a good place for him in the first place.