• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dr. Lecter
    Zero for Zero!
    • Mar 2003

Great Sullivan article

Perry Fewell had just won his first game as an NFL head coach, and he was excited.

Fewell had just spent some time with his team in an emotional Bills' dressing room, accepting a game ball and expressing his gratitude to his players.

It's one win. But Fewell seems very clear on what's required of a successful head coach in this league. Guts. In a six-minute session with the media after the Bills' 31-14 win over the Dolphins, Fewell used the word "gut" seven times. He also made a single reference to another part of the anatomy, but more on that later.

Fewell has very little chance to be the permanent head man. But I'll say this: If it's a long shot, he's sure going to give it his best shot. Fewell is a bright fellow. That much has been evident from the moment he came to Buffalo as the defensive coordinator under Dick Jauron.

He's smart enough to know that he needs to separate and distinguish himself from his predecessor. Fewell needs to put his personal stamp on the Bills, and that means establishing a distinct, vibrant identity for his football team.

So in the days leading up to the rematch with the rival Dolphins, Fewell gave his team a clear directive, a fresh new attitude. "Our thing this week was to be aggressive and attack and dictate," he said.

We've heard such talk before. But Fewell backed it up Sunday. He went with his gut. After weeks of watching Fred Jackson and Marshawn Lynch underperform as a tandem, he gave Jackson the job he deserved as the featured back. Jackson responded with his best game in two months, accounting for 116 total yards and two touchdowns.

Fewell watched Rian Lindell making field goals from beyond 50 yards in pregame warmups. When Lindell missed a kick in the first quarter, Fewell saw Lindell drop his head. He told him, "Rian, we're going to need you again later.' "

"Later" arrived with 3:40 left to play, the score knotted at 14, and the Bills facing fourth-and-9 at the Miami 38. Fewell listened to his gut. He turned to Bobby April, his special teams coach, and said, "Let's go kick that thing."
    Originally posted by mysticsoto
    Lecter is right in everything he said.
  • BillsWin
    man amongst boys
    • Oct 2008

Re: Great Sullivan article

That was one of the best articles about Bills football I have read in a long time. And he is right, it shows what a difference a change in phillosophy and attitude in a head coach can do with the same players. Think about it. Fewell is better than Jauron and the players are taking on a new attitude. What if we hire Shanahan or Cowher? Nowhere to go but up!
    I am The Batman.

Comment

• YardRat
      Well, lookie here...
      • Dec 2004

Perry certainly has the opportunity to let it all hang out, but one of the nice things is he hasn't been 'stupid aggressive'.

Gotta like the calls with Fitz over Edwards, and Jackson over Lynch.
      YardRat Wall of Fame
      #56 DARRYL TALLEY
      #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• BillsWin
        man amongst boys
        • Oct 2008

I wish Beastmode was back to his Beastmode self, but he clearly suffered from the suspension. He lost that certain swagger. I hope in the future we can use them both like Baltimore does with McGAYgee and Rice.
        I am The Batman.

Comment

• psubills62
          Legendary Zoner
          • Sep 2008

I think these last two games (despite a loss last week) are showing people that Jauron was a HUGE problem. It's obvious that his attitude pervaded that lockerroom and players just ended up not caring if they got a loss or a win.

I'm not going to crown him a great coach just yet, but it seems unfortunate that he's towards what is hopefully the end of a playoff drought with several pathetic head coaches. If Fewell was getting a chance to coach for a couple seasons, I really wonder how he'd handle it.
          "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
          - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• BillsWin
            man amongst boys
            • Oct 2008

Some people realize that the team has alot of problems, but forget that Jauron was a major part of the ineptitude. If even just a small change (a.k.a Fewell) can change the player mentality, then imagine what a big name/ proven coach with a shiny, eye catching ring could do to influence the (young) players. It is like a fog has been lifted. Jauron is gone, and now the real rebuilding begins...
            Last edited by BillsWin; 11-29-2009, 10:11 PM.
            I am The Batman.

Comment

• ArcticWildMan

If he has this team playing well and winning at season's end, I don't see how Ralph can't at least consider him for a full time spot as coach.

The guy has heart and unless we land a big name coach why take a flyer on an unknown ccordinator? Give the guy a GM that makes solid football decisions and we might be a different team next year.

It all depends on how he has the team playing by season's end......

Comment

• Historian
                2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
                • Dec 2002

Whe Fitz uncorked that bomb to TO I almost crapped my pants.

Jauron would have taken a knee at that point.

Comment

• HHURRICANE
                  • Mar 2005

I'm starting to realize that Stanford just isn't as good a school as Harvard.

Sounds like Edwards ability to read the defenses is a bigger problem than even I realized. If this is truly the case than that's something you can't teach.

I suggested that Jackson was the better RB last year. Glad to see that the coaching staff sees it that way as well. Hopefully Lycnh will realize that there is still a place on this team for him.

Comment

• ddaryl
                    Everything I post is sexual inuendo
                    • Jan 2005

Originally posted by YardRat
                    Perry certainly has the opportunity to let it all hang out, but one of the nice things is he hasn't been 'stupid aggressive'.

Gotta like the calls with Fitz over Edwards, and Jackson over Lynch.

I do give Perry some credit for making some obvious calls.

Yes Fitz over Edwards at this point

Yes Jackson over Lynch, which was evident from the day 1 this season. Lynch should have had to earn his #1 position back after the suspension, and Jackson never should have lost it when Lynch came back.

Not playing conservative at the wrong time has been another area where Perry has done well.
                    Last edited by ddaryl; 11-30-2009, 08:17 AM.

Comment

• mybills
                      81 st zoner
                      • Jul 2002

In the comment section.."COACH FUEL!!!" I like it!
                      I didn't come here to fight, I hate fighting. Life is way too short to spend it on fighting! Go fight with yourself, one of you will eventually win!

Comment

Working...
                      X