PDA

View Full Version : How important will our Special Teams be this season?

WG
05-31-2003, 11:04 AM
Will we need more than an average STs unit to do well this season?

I'm thinking that as long as it's averge or so, i.e., most of our rankings are between 10 and 20, that we'll be OK.

Obviously we'd all like to see top STs play, but I'm just curious how many of you think it would be a showstopper to have only average STs.

Doc
05-31-2003, 11:38 AM
Average ST's would be a step-up. The kicking game was solid last year WRT punting and FG's and that should remain the same. I think KO's will be better, and I think the return game will be better since there are more and better candidates not only for the return positions, but the rest of the spots on ST's. I also read that Dick LeBeau offered Smith some suggestions on how to coach the ST's a little better, which can only help IMHO.

WG
05-31-2003, 12:23 PM
Yeah, between all the speed players we ought to be able to find one to step up and be a very good return man.

don137
05-31-2003, 01:06 PM
Special Teams can be so underrated and with the salary cap it is often overlooked. I am still a little worried about the Bills ST. I like Lindell and Moorman but I am very concerned of our coverage and return guys. Shaw might help a little. It has been an achilles heel ever since the Music City Miracle.

I sure miss the days of Mark Pike and Steve Tasker.

HenryRules
05-31-2003, 02:42 PM
Special teams are going to be very important, just like they are every year.

Whether our special teams are good, bad, or average, 2 or 3 games are going to be decided outright by our special teams (a big return or a blocked punt or something at a key time) and 3 or 4 games are going to be heavily influenced by the special teams performance.

Special teams rankings are not a big factor in the effectiveness of a special teams unit IMO. The most important thing about special teams is making big plays and not giving up big plays. If we run back 2 or 3 kickoffs for TDs all year, but our average return is in the bottom 5, I'm more than happy compared to if we don't run a return back at all, but average say 5-10 more yards per return. Special teams are all about the big play.

BillsOwnAll
05-31-2003, 03:08 PM
we cant blow games on FG's. we'd get more chances to win with a good PR team also i think ST's are really important.

The_Philster
06-01-2003, 04:44 PM
They definitely need to step it up. We have to have a consistent return game to make the next step forward. Heck, we still need to decide upon a return guy.