X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mad Bomber
    • Jul 2002

For those wanting the Bills to lose for the sake of a "better draft pick"

There have been a lot of threads and posts debating whether it is better for the Bills to win or to lose out to get a higher first round pick because "it will make the team better".

Let me preface this by saying that I would much rather have the players already on the team learn how to win than having them lose out so they can get one better player (maybe) by picking higher in the first round.

Here is a history of the Bills' first round draft picks since 1968 when they picked in the top 10. Some of these players were great, some were good, and some were busts.

Note that we picked in the top 10 SIX years in a row (so much for a high draft pick turning you around).

1968 #9 Haven Moses WR SD State
    1969 #1 OJ Simpson RB USC
    1970 #5 Al Cowlings DE USC
    1971 #4 JD Hill WR Arizona State
    1972 #1 Walt Patulski DE Notre Dame
    1973 #7 Paul Seymour TE Michigan
    1978 #5 Terry Miller RB Oklahoma State
    1979 #1 Tom Cousineau LB Ohio State
    1979 #5 Jerry Butler WR Clemson
    1985 #1 Bruce Smith DE Virginia Tech
    1987 #8 Shane Conlan LB Penn State
    1988-1989 No first round picks!
    2002 #4 Mike Williams OT Texas
    2006 #8 Donte Whitner SS THE Ohio State (It was just Ohio State when we drafted Cousineau)
  • mybills
    81 st zoner
    • Jul 2002

Re: For those wanting the Bills to lose for the sake of a "better draft pick"

yup, it's a crap shoot.
    I didn't come here to fight, I hate fighting. Life is way too short to spend it on fighting! Go fight with yourself, one of you will eventually win!

Comment

• HHURRICANE
      • Mar 2005

All I know is 7-9 got us Paul Poluszny and JP Losman instead of Patrick Willis and Ben Rothlinsberger.

Comment

• Luisito23
        Men Have Superbowl Gold, Legends Have Platinum Hearts!!!
        • Apr 2003

Originally posted by HHURRICANE
        All I know is 7-9 got us Paul Poluszny and JP Losman instead of Patrick Willis and Ben Rothlinsberger.

Good post.
        "Expect rejection, but expect more to overcome it."
        ***Marv Levy.***

"Coach Levy is one of the most inspirational people that I have ever known."
        ***Thurman Thomas.***

"You're not going to find a more classier, down-to-Earth person away from the field than Marv Levy. He's a guy who's pretty much made me what I am today as far as a professional player and a person."
        ***Jim Kelly***

Marv Levy's Website

Comment

• DraftBoy
          Administrator
          • Jul 2002

The logic in this post is 100% sound...

:sarcasm:
          COMING SOON...
          Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
          We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• Nighthawk
            Getting old waiting for a championship in Buffalo!
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by DraftBoy

:sarcasm:
            He's actually right...

Comment

I think we have a clear need at LT - and I think that if we draft lower than 12th we'll miss the top 3 most likely to have an immediate and long term impact.

Comment

• Luisito23
                Men Have Superbowl Gold, Legends Have Platinum Hearts!!!
                • Apr 2003

7-9 seasons will continue to make this team what it has been for the last decade...Mediocre! Ask any Colts' fans if they remember that horrible season which landed them Manning
                "Expect rejection, but expect more to overcome it."
                ***Marv Levy.***

"Coach Levy is one of the most inspirational people that I have ever known."
                ***Thurman Thomas.***

"You're not going to find a more classier, down-to-Earth person away from the field than Marv Levy. He's a guy who's pretty much made me what I am today as far as a professional player and a person."
                ***Jim Kelly***

Marv Levy's Website

Comment

• HHURRICANE
                  • Mar 2005

Actually it is. The Bills wanted Rothlinsberger and Willis. We lost both players by winning one extra game.

Comment

• Philagape
                    WIN NOW
                    • Jul 2002

And they still could have had ....

Ngata instead of Whitner
                    Mangold instead of McCargo
                    Eddie Royal or DeSean Jackson instead of Hardy
                    Oher or Orapko instead of Maybin

It's not where you draft, it's how well you draft.
                    "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
                    2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• DraftBoy
                      Administrator
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Nighthawk
                      He's actually right...
                      No he's not, he's speculating because he thinks he knows we would of for sure picked either of those guys when in reality he can neither be certain that we wouldn't. Im not saying we would of or wouldn't of but to say that you know for sure what somebody else (or worse a group of people) would of done in a completely different situation is a huge jump in logic and a horrible fallacy. There are far too many varaibles unaccounted for. I know I dont need to explain that to you.
                      Last edited by DraftBoy; 11-30-2009, 06:02 PM.
                      COMING SOON...

Comment

• Mad Bomber
                        • Jul 2002

We also picked Donte Whitner instead of Haloti Ngata, Willis McGahee instead of Dallas Clark, (traded up for) John McCargo instead of Nick Mangold, Maybin instead of Orakpo, Brown or Oher.

With this FO, a higher pick isn't necessarily a better pick.
                        Last edited by Mad Bomber; 11-30-2009, 12:19 PM.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                          Administrator
                          • Jul 2002

Actually it is. The Bills wanted Rothlinsberger and Willis. We lost both players by winning one extra game.
                          Or we lost both by Pit and SF losing one extra game? Your arguing using a fallacy, which automatically makes your point void. See the post above.
                          COMING SOON...

Comment

• Nighthawk
                            Getting old waiting for a championship in Buffalo!
                            • Jul 2002

No he's not, he's speculating because he thinks he knows we would of for sure picked either of those guys when in reality he can neither be certain that we wouldn't. Im not saying we would of wouldn't but to say that you know for sure what somebody else (or worse a group of people) would of done in a completely different situation is a huge jump in logic and a horrible fallacy. There are far too many varaibles unaccounted for. I know I dont need to explain that to you.
                            No, he's right because if you remember back to those drafts, the Bills were VERY interested in both of those players, they just blew it and didn't move up to get them. You can't just throw out the information that was floating around at that time just to make your case.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                              Administrator
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Nighthawk
                              No, he's right because if you remember back to those drafts, the Bills were VERY interested in both of those players, they just blew it and didn't move up to get them. You can't just throw out the information that was floating around at that time just to make your case.

The Bills also were interested in Ngata, and Mangold and about 100 other players during those drafts. That in no way guarantees they were the pick. Come on now man, you know better than that. You cannot account for all the variables that come into play, its impossible.
                              COMING SOON...

Comment

Working...
                              X