PDA

View Full Version : The Good, the Bad and the Ugly.

kernowboy
11-30-2009, 12:06 PM
It's clear that at the moment, Bills fans are split, on what I'd call the Good, the Bad and the Ugly.

The Good equates to a big name coach who preferably has won a Super Bowl or two. Discounting the fact the such coaches have struggled to replicate success elsewhere, and would demand total control, which has often not been a good idea as demonstrated elsewhere.

The Bad is looking for a leading coordinator or college Head Coach without any NFL Head Coach experience. The problem with this is that every successful Head Coach is that they once had to be a rookie Head Coach and if we were to choose the right man such as the Steelers were with Cowher, they can develop together and bring years of successful defence.

The Ugly is probably considered to be Perry Fewell (sorry Perry). Clearly some fans remain to be convinced, some will never be convinced whilst others have been too easily convinced. But wins are wins in this league and you cannot knock a guy for winning.

I have not been convinced by the early calls to annoint Fewell but I have liked a few things he has done.

He was prepared to look at a 3-4 formation in Jacksonville, demonstrating he is not so proud as to try something new. He's also demonstrated a willingness to go for it, showing the courage of his convictions.

I wonder what he could do with a semi fit roster.

IF, we were to provide some experienced coordinators - on offense to support or replace Van Pelt, to support Sanders, IF were to appoint a strong GM prospect like Eric deCosta or more realistically Marc Ross of the Giants who has worked with some of our existing scouts and IF Fewell was to come away with a 5-2 or 4-3 record (if the 3 defeats were extremely close and we fought to the end) I am now not certain if Fewell is the ugly option some shout it is.

He is clearly his own man, and combined with Ross's and Modrak's knowledge, and they have worked well together before, they may just add the necessary pieces to bring the roster back to better than respectability.

HHURRICANE
11-30-2009, 12:12 PM
This is what scares me:

Fewell gets the team to play well enough to finish 8-8. We than make him the Head Coach and change nothing in the front office because Ralph is cheap.

I want the team to fail miserbaly down the stretch to ensure significant changes.

Fewell made some nice decisions yesterday. It was refreshing watching someone actually try to win a game instead of protecting a lead.

Nighthawk
11-30-2009, 12:14 PM
This is what scares me:

Fewell gets the team to play well enough to finish 8-8. We than make him the Head Coach and change nothing in the front office because Ralph is cheap.

I want the team to fail miserbaly down the stretch to ensure significant changes.

Fewell made some nice decisions yesterday. It was refreshing watching someone actually try to win a game instead of protecting a lead.

This is exactly my biggest fear...I would absolutely hate that!

HAMMER
11-30-2009, 01:58 PM
Let it play out for the rest of the season. If Fewell has them playing well and his decision making is sound then you have a decision to make.

ddaryl
11-30-2009, 02:05 PM
The only way Perry gets a consideration nod from me is if he wins 4 of the next 5 in convincing consistent fashion.

No slop games. Solid D solid O and a couple of these games won by the 3rd quarter with the team succesfully protecting its lead for the rest of the game.

The King
11-30-2009, 02:14 PM
I am beginning to think Fewell should get a bit of leeway... he inherited utter crap.
We are started FA's on our line, players who werent considered good enough for 31 other teams are now our starters. Winning with this team is like a 4th grader beating up a high school student.

bigbub2352
11-30-2009, 02:22 PM
it would be a huge mistake to just be satisfied with Fewell winning a few games and the players playing for him hard
Trust me i liked what i seen against Maimi but we are in much greater need of a front office and a system to develop players and draft players and sign players
Be Careful Fewell is just showing u what most coachs look like on a Sunday that actually care not a corpse like DJ
Big mistake if we stay with anything from this coaching staff
dotn be to quick to forget that Fewell's horrible D has been torched by many teams over his almost 4 yrs here!
TORCHED

HHURRICANE
11-30-2009, 03:03 PM
Big mistake if we stay with anything from this coaching staff
dotn be to quick to forget that Fewell's horrible D has been torched by many teams over his almost 4 yrs here!
TORCHED

If Miami had just stuck with the run they probably would have won yesterday. I give Fewell credit for making some key decisions but Miami opened the door.

YardRat
11-30-2009, 03:13 PM
Time will tell if Fewell truly deserves consideration for the HC job or not...he has 5 more games to audition.

Even if he does exceed expectations, some serious and hard questions need to be asked during the interview regarding team direction, coordinators and assistants, etc.

Priority #1 is reorganizing and rebuilding the football portion of the front office.
Priority #1b is NOT giving ANYBODY total control.