PDA

View Full Version : We are all right!

Nighthawk
11-30-2009, 06:39 PM
I wanted to outline my feelings about how the fanbase is taking this victory over Miami and I thought a post I had earlier pretty much summed it up.

Overzealousness is what is happening today with some fans...they are happy, why not, the Bills just beat the hated rival Dolphins, but seriously, does it bring us any closer to what all of us want...A CHAMPIONSHIP? Ummm, no and it could possibly push us towards more mediocrity. I think everybody is right today and there is nobody who is wrong. Fans should be happy we beat the hell out of the Phins, but I understand fans (like myself) who are looking at the bigger picture and are worried that keeping Fewell might derail the much needed housecleaning. My point is...there are cases for each side, but everybody needs to understand that the most important thing is getting the right people in here to change the direction of this franchise moving forward, not winning a game that may give us immediate gratification, but in the big scheme of things, means very little.

DraftBoy
11-30-2009, 06:41 PM
Since you're so sure that Fewell sticking around derails all chances of the Bills every being good, can I also get the lotto numbers, I could use a new house.

SquishDaFish
11-30-2009, 06:41 PM
What do you have against Perry? He steal your girlfriend?? Jeez bro give the guy a chance. If hes the man hes the man. Hes got them playing like a team now with some heart. They are going in the right direction.

Nighthawk
11-30-2009, 06:44 PM
What do you have against Perry? He steal your girlfriend?? Jeez bro give the guy a chance. If hes the man hes the man. Hes got them playing like a team now with some heart. They are going in the right direction.

He's a terrible DC and has been since he's been here. Just because he is exciteable, doesn't get me all wet. I want change and if Fewell is still here, then it means that we didn't get a strong football GM who is able to pick his own guy. That is my problem with him staying...clean house...bring in a winning attitude and a proven track record and then watch the team succeed.

Nighthawk
11-30-2009, 06:45 PM
Since you're so sure that Fewell sticking around derails all chances of the Bills every being good, can I also get the lotto numbers, I could use a new house.

Oh, you mean like all the draft predictions that you make??? Yeah, you might want to look in the mirror my friend.

DraftBoy
11-30-2009, 06:45 PM
He's a terrible DC and has been since he's been here. Just because he is exciteable, doesn't get me all wet. I want change and if Fewell is still here, then it means that we didn't get a strong football GM who is able to pick his own guy. That is my problem with him staying...clean house...bring in a winning attitude and a proven track record and then watch the team succeed.

You just said you'd take Weiss who has an even less proven track record than Fewell.

DraftBoy
11-30-2009, 06:46 PM
Oh, you mean like all the draft predictions that you make??? Yeah, you might want to look in the mirror my friend.
:rofl:

Wow somebody had his cheerios pissed in this morning.

Nighthawk
11-30-2009, 06:47 PM
You just said you'd take Weiss who has an even less proven track record than Fewell.

Hmmm, and you can't read...very nice. I said that I'm not a big fan, but if a strong GM came in and determined that he was the right guy for the job then I'd sign off on it. For the record, Weis has a better record of success in the NFL as a OC then Fewell has as a DC.

DraftBoy
11-30-2009, 06:48 PM
Hmmm, and you can't read...very nice. I said that I'm not a big fan, but if a strong GM came in and determined that he was the right guy for the job then I'd sign off on it. For the record, Weis has a better record of success in the NFL as a OC then Fewell has a DC.

No you didn't you said you'd take Weiss over Fewell then you made a comment about a competent GM picking the guy, which I completely agree with, even over taking Shanny as both.

I dont give a **** about how they did as coordinators. Fewell has a better track record as a NFL Head Coach then Weiss.

Nighthawk
11-30-2009, 06:52 PM
No you didn't you said you'd take Weiss over Fewell then you made a comment about a competent GM picking the guy, which I completely agree with, even over taking Shanny as both.

I dont give a **** about how they did as coordinators. Fewell has a better track record as a NFL Head Coach then Weiss.

Yep, after 2 games Fewell is a better coach then Weis. Hey, what was that you were saying about the lottery numbers...can you give them to me since you know what kind of HC Weis would be in the NFL?

Griff
11-30-2009, 06:52 PM

I guess all the turnovers we've generated this year mean nothing to you.

Nighthawk
11-30-2009, 06:53 PM

Where is the defense ranked? Oh wait, that doesn't count...I forgot.

Griff
11-30-2009, 06:58 PM
Where is the defense ranked? Oh wait, that doesn't count...I forgot.

rofl you think yards allowed matters. Know what matters? Points. Now when have we allowed the most points? In the 4th quarters. Why? Because the defense is gassed from spending the entire game on the field. Why? Because of bend don't break? No. Because the offense couldn't get a first down.

Oldbillsfan
11-30-2009, 06:59 PM
A win vrs the Dolphins will push the team towards mediocrity? Overzealous? Please...

Dude the Dolphins aren't even that good. How has anything changed from the past few seasons? Before you get your panties in a twist lets see them beat NE for once this decade, and the Colts with Payton Manning playing.

Nighthawk
11-30-2009, 07:00 PM
rofl you think yards allowed matters. Know what matters? Points. Now when have we allowed the most points? In the 4th quarters. Why? Because the defense is gassed from spending the entire game on the field. Why? Because of bend don't break? No. Because the offense couldn't get a first down.

I totally agree that the offense has a part in how the defense plays, but they also are and have been for years, terrible on 3rd downs. That is not because the offense sucks, which it does. You're making excuses for the defense's poor play...let's just agree to disagree.

Nighthawk
11-30-2009, 07:02 PM
A win vrs the Dolphins will push the team towards mediocrity? Overzealous? Please...

Dude the Dolphins aren't even that good. How has anything changed from the past few seasons? Before you get your panties in a twist lets see them beat NE for once this decade, and the Colts with Payton Manning playing.

You totally missed the point...I agree with you. Let's see them beat a good team, let's see who they bring in as a GM...let's not just give the HC position to a mediocre DC because he brings emotion to the sidelines and he is the polar opposite of Jauron.

YardRat
11-30-2009, 07:03 PM

Ohhhh...that shot for the jugular was very Fewell-esque.

Jauron would've never gone there.

Nighthawk
11-30-2009, 07:04 PM
Ohhhh...that shot for the jugular was very Fewell-esque.

Jauron would've never gone there.

Which one are you talking about??? The audible that he didn't call?

Crisis
11-30-2009, 07:08 PM
It's pathetic how far this rivalry has fallen, we have more Dolphin fans posting congrats than anything else. :down:

Nighthawk
11-30-2009, 07:10 PM
It's pathetic how far this rivalry has fallen, we have more Dolphin fans posting congrats than anything else. :down:

Agreed...we've been so bad for so long that it just doesn't have the same feel anymore. If we ever become good again, I think you'll see the intensity grow, but to me, it seems that more people hate the Pats then hate the Phins nowadays. Like I said, it has more to do with the Pats being a winner then anything else...you always want to knock off the best team in the division and that is the Pats...unfortunately.

Crisis
11-30-2009, 07:13 PM
I'm with you on this Nighthawk, but it's Miami, and it's going to be the Jets and New England.

If we beat the Bengals or something I'd be right onboard with you....but it's Miami.

Nighthawk
11-30-2009, 07:14 PM
I'm with you on this Nighthawk, but it's Miami, and it's going to be the Jets and New England.

If we beat the Bengals or something I'd be right onboard with you....but it's Miami.

I know...I understand how people feel, I really do.

Crisis
11-30-2009, 07:15 PM
Agreed...we've been so bad for so long that it just doesn't have the same feel anymore. If we ever become good again, I think you'll see the intensity grow, but to me, it seems that more people hate the Pats then hate the Phins nowadays. Like I said, it has more to do with the Pats being a winner then anything else...you always want to knock off the best team in the division and that is the Pats...unfortunately.

I'm with you that this team needs to hit rock bottom (high pick) to rebuild, I just can't stand losing to the friggin pats or dolphins or jets again. I can put aside draft pick aspirations for those 6 weeks of the season, no matter how bad we are - not that I ever root for the Bills to lose, its just the losses hurt a lot less when you know the team will be better in the long run for it.

HHURRICANE
11-30-2009, 07:16 PM
I'll remind everyone again of the over zealous fanbase that wanted to keep Kay Stephenson (2-14) after his improbable win over Dallas.

A win feels great but at the end of the day a total overhaul of this team is the only way we are getting to the promised land.

If you get suckered into the "Perry Fewell for coach" wave than you deserve the loser team that we currently have.

Hire a proven winner and start from there. No more ****ing around.

Crisis
11-30-2009, 07:17 PM
and apparently i keep hitting post the same time you do and posting the exact same thing!

Nighthawk
11-30-2009, 07:18 PM
I'm with you that this team needs to hit rock bottom (high pick) to rebuild, I just can't stand losing to the friggin pats or dolphins or jets again. I can put aside draft pick aspirations for those 6 weeks of the season, no matter how bad we are - not that I ever root for the Bills to lose, its just the losses hurt a lot less when you know the team will be better in the long run for it.

I agree and you put it perfectly...it's not rooting for losses, it's that the losses just don't hurt as bad anymore when you know that in the long run, they actually will help this team.

Oldbillsfan
11-30-2009, 07:35 PM
They are going to overhaul it. The fact is there is some pretty good talent on this team. Them winning could attract a top level coach just as much as anything else.

BTW I don't golf clap watching football games, I yell! lol

Jeff1220
11-30-2009, 07:36 PM
I understand the fear that if Fewell is retained that it would mean all else remains the same. I feel it too. He'd probably keep a lot of Jauron guys around on his staff, but who knows...Jauron offered him his first coordinator job, but that doesn't mean he's married to the rest of the staff that Jauron hired.
I'd love to see a new HC hire top notch coordinators. But more than anything, I believe this team needs sweeping changes in the FO. If they get a respectable football (not marketing) minded front office, I'll trust the decisions they make because a good front office should make sure all else is top notch.

Nighthawk
11-30-2009, 07:44 PM
I understand the fear that if Fewell is retained that it would mean all else remains the same. I feel it too. He'd probably keep a lot of Jauron guys around on his staff, but who knows...Jauron offered him his first coordinator job, but that doesn't mean he's married to the rest of the staff that Jauron hired.
I'd love to see a new HC hire top notch coordinators. But more than anything, I believe this team needs sweeping changes in the FO. If they get a respectable football (not marketing) minded front office, I'll trust the decisions they make because a good front office should make sure all else is top notch.

And that's all I want...a new regime to make the choices.

MikeInRoch
11-30-2009, 09:07 PM
I'm SO glad you are here to tell us all how to feel.

Nighthawk
11-30-2009, 09:19 PM
I'm SO glad you are here to tell us all how to feel.

Honestly, are you always an @sshole???

DraftBoy
11-30-2009, 09:29 PM

Am I always arrogant?

Nighthawk
11-30-2009, 09:38 PM
Am I always arrogant?

To me or in general?

DraftBoy
11-30-2009, 09:52 PM
To me or in general?

1. Im not arrogant to you, its more elitist
2. You're not that special to get your own treatment
3. I hope you can tell that Im being slightly tongue in cheek, because you know the answer to your question without even asking it.

Commissioner
11-30-2009, 09:58 PM
Perry Fewell wins one game and people lose their minds.
lets see how he plays the Patriots instead of the crappy Dolphins.

Nighthawk
11-30-2009, 10:10 PM
1. Im not arrogant to you, its more elitist
2. You're not that special to get your own treatment
3. I hope you can tell that Im being slightly tongue in cheek, because you know the answer to your question without even asking it.

Come on man, you had to know that I was also kidding...damn!

DraftBoy
11-30-2009, 10:14 PM
Come on man, you had to know that I was also kidding...damn!

Hence responses 1 and 2.

Nighthawk
11-30-2009, 10:33 PM
Hence responses 1 and 2.

For the record, I am that special!

DraftBoy
11-30-2009, 10:41 PM
For the record, I am that special!

I know....

:shortbus: special.

http://tim3n.de/images/timmy.jpg

BillsWin
11-30-2009, 10:45 PM
Shanahan, Cowher, or bust. :up: hey, I like Fewell too. But we need someone whos been there before to help right this sinking ship.

mybills
12-01-2009, 07:23 AM
Perry Fewell wins one game and people lose their minds.
lets see how he plays the Patriots instead of the crappy Dolphins.
I think that will be a payback game as well. As long as he doesn't go with a prevent defense. That was the bigger reason for losing last time, than the McKelvin fumble was. :ill:

ddaryl
12-01-2009, 07:35 AM

How many of those turnovers were from Delhomme and Sanchez alone ?

I guess all those years of watching decent / hot QB's rip Fewells D's apart or watching the Bills blow leads in the 2nd half or just plain and simply failing to get any consistnet pressure on the QB over the years has been forgotten by you and others. How about our record against playoff teams over the years Perry has been our DC ???

I agree with hawk. Perry has been with this organization longer then Jauron was and has had average D's at best. His 4-3 scheme is uninspiring.

If the Bills pass up on one of the marquee coaches because the fan base wants another underdog then we can expect another 3-4 years before our next coach and next opportunity to turn this around.

If perry wins 4 out of the next 5 in a convincing consistent matter I think he deserves an interview...but unless we are getting a big time GM to come in here and make that decision I do not want Perry as the Bills HC in 2010.

We're either going out and hiring a Shanahan who will take over talent evaluation and HC or we're going big on a GM who will make our HC decision

Griff
12-01-2009, 10:37 AM
How many of those turnovers were from Delhomme and Sanchez alone ?

I guess all those years of watching decent / hot QB's rip Fewells D's apart or watching the Bills blow leads in the 2nd half or just plain and simply failing to get any consistnet pressure on the QB over the years has been forgotten by you and others. How about our record against playoff teams over the years Perry has been our DC ???

I agree with hawk. Perry has been with this organization longer then Jauron was and has had average D's at best. His 4-3 scheme is uninspiring.

If the Bills pass up on one of the marquee coaches because the fan base wants another underdog then we can expect another 3-4 years before our next coach and next opportunity to turn this around.

If perry wins 4 out of the next 5 in a convincing consistent matter I think he deserves an interview...but unless we are getting a big time GM to come in here and make that decision I do not want Perry as the Bills HC in 2010.

We're either going out and hiring a Shanahan who will take over talent evaluation and HC or we're going big on a GM who will make our HC decision

quickly ignore Bree's 0 TDs against Buffalo, and the 2 INTs Schaub threw.

trapezeus
12-01-2009, 10:46 AM
the more i think about this, i'm less worried about Fewell staying an extra year than i am of running with the same front office picking players.

If the Bills do a thorough review of their operations and say, "we'll pay a GM ridiculous amounts of money and scout properly and see what we have in fewell for a full season, i wouldn't be against that." that's not plan A...but if fewell has the attention of the locker-room and he's given some real tools to work with, then i think we are helped by GM first.

Griff
12-01-2009, 12:31 PM
the more i think about this, i'm less worried about Fewell staying an extra year than i am of running with the same front office picking players.

If the Bills do a thorough review of their operations and say, "we'll pay a GM ridiculous amounts of money and scout properly and see what we have in fewell for a full season, i wouldn't be against that." that's not plan A...but if fewell has the attention of the locker-room and he's given some real tools to work with, then i think we are helped by GM first.

I'm not on the Fewell bandwagon, but if for some reason we can't get a real coach in '10 Fewell is still better than keeping DJ around.

Buddo
12-01-2009, 12:37 PM
I think there's valid points being made on both sides here. The thing is, I believe that there are some very good coaches on the staff. I do consider Fewell to be a good DC. Jauron's whole attitude to the games put the shackles on him I feel. He might not have told him what plays to call specifically, but he could certainly have said 'prevent', and likely did, a lot.
Another name that sticks out to me is Bob Sanders. He certainly seems to have got more out of the likes of Kelsay, than was to be expected.
Catavalos (sp?), must be doing something right, as our secondary has been decent for several years. There's a strong case for guys like those to be retained somehow.
The particularly worrisome area, as far as I see it, is the Offense. Van Pelt does show signs of being at least a competent play caller, but is he anything like as a play designer? While he has been our QB coach, if he's that good, how come Edwards has totally lost confidence? If the Bills do not have their future QB on the roster, in either Edwards or Brohm, can Van Pelt (and to a lesser extent Fewell) genuinely be entrusted with the development of a (likely) high draft pick QB?
The fact of the matter is that the Bills haven't had an offense worth a darn, since a long time back now. If Fewell was to become HC for next year, he would need to come up with some serious answers, to the questions above and that's without even talking about how they are going to finally fix the O-Line.
I think it's fair to say that Fewell has shown enough that he should be considered HC 'material', but I'm not convinced that 'now' is the right time, as he remains highly unproven in respect of the offensive side of the football.
My own preference, in all honesty, would be to see a guy like Shanahan, an offensive HC, come in, but work with Fewell as DC. I thnk ideally I would have liked Holmgren, for his track record with QBs, but Shanahan does know offense.
While thinking through that 'scenario', it may be that our best outcome, could be for someone like Billick as HC, retaining Fewell and his D coaching 'crew', while also appointing a good GM of the football side of things.

ddaryl
12-01-2009, 01:54 PM
quickly ignore Bree's 0 TDs against Buffalo, and the 2 INTs Schaub threw.

I didn't ignore any of it...

New Orleans still kicked our asses in the end, and made us look stupid with our typical 2nd half melt down. Who cares if Brees had 0 TD's New Orleans still made us look stupid in the end.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/boxscore?gid=20090927002

we gave up 17 points in the 4th quarter, and let N.O. run at will in the end

As for Schaub.. Ok we had 2 INT's against a decent QB who still kicked our asses... with 2 TD's and ended up kicking our asses 31 -10 with over 400yds of Offense.
http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/nfl/boxscore?gid=20091101002
M. Schaub (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/6849)
31-42, 284 yds
2 TDs, 2 INTs

Bottom line is Perry's D's have been as much of the problem with this team as Jauron HC calls, as is our Talent evaluation...

This organization needs a complete scrubbiing, and I really do not have faith in Perry based on what I have witnessed the last 3.5 years. I also have 0 love for the tampa 2 or any version of it, because I beleive it is a D scheme that sets itself up to be beat by teams with solid QB's and functioning O's

MikeInRoch
12-01-2009, 02:02 PM

Wow, the irony is thick.

mybills
12-01-2009, 03:12 PM
I think there's valid points being made on both sides here. The thing is, I believe that there are some very good coaches on the staff. I do consider Fewell to be a good DC. Jauron's whole attitude to the games put the shackles on him I feel. He might not have told him what plays to call specifically, but he could certainly have said 'prevent', and likely did, a lot.
Another name that sticks out to me is Bob Sanders. He certainly seems to have got more out of the likes of Kelsay, than was to be expected.
Catavalos (sp?), must be doing something right, as our secondary has been decent for several years. There's a strong case for guys like those to be retained somehow.
The particularly worrisome area, as far as I see it, is the Offense. Van Pelt does show signs of being at least a competent play caller, but is he anything like as a play designer? While he has been our QB coach, if he's that good, how come Edwards has totally lost confidence? If the Bills do not have their future QB on the roster, in either Edwards or Brohm, can Van Pelt (and to a lesser extent Fewell) genuinely be entrusted with the development of a (likely) high draft pick QB?
The fact of the matter is that the Bills haven't had an offense worth a darn, since a long time back now. If Fewell was to become HC for next year, he would need to come up with some serious answers, to the questions above and that's without even talking about how they are going to finally fix the O-Line.
I think it's fair to say that Fewell has shown enough that he should be considered HC 'material', but I'm not convinced that 'now' is the right time, as he remains highly unproven in respect of the offensive side of the football.
My own preference, in all honesty, would be to see a guy like Shanahan, an offensive HC, come in, but work with Fewell as DC. I thnk ideally I would have liked Holmgren, for his track record with QBs, but Shanahan does know offense.
While thinking through that 'scenario', it may be that our best outcome, could be for someone like Billick as HC, retaining Fewell and his D coaching 'crew', while also appointing a good GM of the football side of things.
Great post! I agree 100% on the bold part. I would like to see Shanny as HC, Fewell as DC, and someone good as the GM..and as for Van Pelt being the QB coach, I think you answered it in the bold part as well. I don't think it mattered what he coached because Trent was so infatuated with Jauron that it probably didn't make sense to him, so he blocked it all out and just did what Jauron told him to do. I think Fewell can assess what he thinks the team needs, and discuss it with the new GM. All Ralph has to do is pay them to do their jobs.

Griff
12-01-2009, 03:24 PM
I didn't ignore any of it...

New Orleans still kicked our asses in the end, and made us look stupid with our typical 2nd half melt down. Who cares if Brees had 0 TD's New Orleans still made us look stupid in the end.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/boxscore?gid=20090927002

we gave up 17 points in the 4th quarter, and let N.O. run at will in the end

As for Schaub.. Ok we had 2 INT's against a decent QB who still kicked our asses... with 2 TD's and ended up kicking our asses 31 -10 with over 400yds of Offense.
http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/nfl/boxscore?gid=20091101002
M. Schaub (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/6849)
31-42, 284 yds
2 TDs, 2 INTs

Bottom line is Perry's D's have been as much of the problem with this team as Jauron HC calls, as is our Talent evaluation...

This organization needs a complete scrubbiing, and I really do not have faith in Perry based on what I have witnessed the last 3.5 years. I also have 0 love for the tampa 2 or any version of it, because I beleive it is a D scheme that sets itself up to be beat by teams with solid QB's and functioning O's

now look at the time of possession in those games, and tell me again why the defense failed at the end of the game.

Oh and btw the only points we scored in the NO game, was defensive.

WeAreArthurMoates
12-01-2009, 03:31 PM
Some Coordinators make better head coachs than they do coordinators and some make better coordinators than head coaches.

Griff
12-01-2009, 05:48 PM
Some Coordinators make better head coachs than they do coordinators and some make better coordinators than head coaches.

see Greg Williams and Mike Malarkey?