• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The King
    Without me it's just Awe so
    • Jun 2004

I don't get this W/L stuff

The higher draft pick we get the more we have to pay an athlete who has proven nothing. Not to mention you're routing against your team.

Wins build confidence and confidence attracts players and brings out the best in the players you already have.

If we can string together some wins maybe we wont have to over pay guys to come play in Buffalo, instead of over paying a rookie who is a big question mark.

I really don't understand where this is coming from.
    I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
    "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
    You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
    It was all
    true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
    He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
    mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

• mybills
    81 st zoner
    • Jul 2002

Re: I don't get this W/L stuff

really young fans?
    I didn't come here to fight, I hate fighting. Life is way too short to spend it on fighting! Go fight with yourself, one of you will eventually win!

Comment

• Jan Reimers
      Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
      • May 2003

It's coming from the believers in the "Magic Draft" theory, which posits that if the Bills draft in the top 3 to 5, we will get the player who will turn the franchise around immediately. Any pick 6 or lower is useless, and will condemn us to another 10 years of mediocrity.
      Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• DraftBoy
        Administrator
        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by mybills
        really young fans?
        Not all young fans.

And it makes no sense MBB. Its just a twisted set of logic.

Jan you are exactly right.
        COMING SOON...
        Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
        We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• Throne Logic
          Terry Tate - Outside Linebacker
          • Aug 2002

I'm with you. I never want to select higher than 10. Risk to reward odds are just too scary for me.
          Still searching for that offensive rhythm.

Comment

• Night Train
            Retired - On Several Levels
            • Jul 2005

Stop Making Sense was a great Talking Heads CD.
            Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• The King
              • Jun 2004

The last time we nabbed a big name player was when we strung a few wins together... it was Takeo Spikes. He never would've signed with a 4 win team that year.
              I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
              "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
              You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
              It was all
              true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.

Comment

• SABURZFAN
                short bus extraordinaire
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by MBBedard
                The higher draft pick we get the more we have to pay an athlete who has proven nothing. Not to mention you're routing against your team.

Wins build confidence and confidence attracts players and brings out the best in the players you already have.

If we can string together some wins maybe we wont have to over pay guys to come play in Buffalo, instead of over paying a rookie who is a big question mark.

I really don't understand where this is coming from.

idiots. that's where it's coming from.
                Originally posted by yordad
                Christ, you are the queerest person in the history of Bills fanhood. I swear to god I would stomp you.

Comment

• ddaryl
                  Everything I post is sexual inuendo
                  • Jan 2005

I just fail to see what winning does for this team at this point but force us to let the draft come to us. I would rather draft higher have a choice at a top player or trade back for more picks.

It's harder to do that at #11 or #14 then it is at #5

For me this season is shot, and I am looking forward to the offseason more so then the last 5 games of this season.... Sorry but the Bills have already rolled over on the seaosn, to all of sudden wake up now is insulting to me.

The team needs players, needs new coaches, and new talent evaluators, and if we some how all of sudden we win 3 or 4 of these last 5 games it sends a signal that we do not need many of these changes and we stick with the craptastic direction we've been heading for 10 years.

I guess what I don't understand is why anyone thinks winning is even worth it at this point. The season is done. We are not going to the playoffs AGAIN, and the team has shown throughout the entire year that it has weaknesses in a few areas.

The best way to build a team is through the draft and the best way to draft is to have extra picks and/or great draft position to pick up top talent....
                  And yes drafting is not an exact science, but just because the Bills have sucked at it doesn't mean that the great teams make the most of their high draft picks when they get them.... If the Bills are going to be great again they need studs, and the best chances to gain these studs is by having a choice of picks at the top of the draft and/or trading back for extra picks. Both are done best from the upper part of the draft.

So the Bills lose the last 5 games and finish 4 - 12.. Lets say they draft #7 overall.... Because they had a horrible seaosn We either get a new HC who takes charge of talent evaluation and brings in some of his own people, or Russ and Ralph agree to hire a real GM to handle talent evalutation etc...

Now we have new talent evaluators. If you were the new GM or the new HC who knows this team needs some players would you rather have the #14 pick or the #7 pick

My guess is any new GM / HC wants an opportunity to draft a top ranked player, or pick up as many picks in the 1st 3 rds and they can grab to build the team in their mold through the draft

Like I said any win means nothing to me. I honestly do not care...This team had the chance to impress me but they missed the playoffs already so I don't want to lose the chance at a more exciting offseaosn just so a team that sucks can convince itself it doesn't suck as much as they thought

Comment

• ddaryl
                    Everything I post is sexual inuendo
                    • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Jan Reimers
                    It's coming from the believers in the "Magic Draft" theory, which posits that if the Bills draft in the top 3 to 5, we will get the player who will turn the franchise around immediately. Any pick 6 or lower is useless, and will condemn us to another 10 years of mediocrity.

NO IT's NOT

Wow I love how some justify their position by making up "Magic Draft" crap. Teams with good talent evaluators make good decisions. Do you think their is a better chance at picking a top player at #5 or at #11.... Yes its a crapshoot but the odds favor drafting higher

as for the cost.. Who cares the dumbass Bills stay 20+ million under the cap and next year is a no cap year to boot.

Also is it more beneficial to trade back from pick #5 to say pick #11 while gaining an extra 1st day pick or is it better to win 3-5 more games and end up drafting #11 or higher with even less of a shot of parlaying picks.

Case in point... If Indinanpolis was drafting #2 in 1998 do you think they would be drafting Peyton Manning. SO I guess draft position means nothing..

AND because Polian puts together great talent evaluators they we're able to make the right decision and pick Manning #1 over Leaf. At the time it was a long and hard thought process.

NOW if the Bills go ahead and end the season 8-8 does anyone really beleive we are going to get the massive changes this team needs, or do we all of a sudden find out that Perry is now are HC and Brandon will keep the GM duties. If this is what happens I will be furious. Because all it means is we will be mediocre for another 3-4 years.

Why is so hard for some of you's to understand that this organization needs MAJOR changes.... and those changes only come if losses mount.... and this organization has already proven it will reward mediocrity and if we end up 8-8 that is what will happen. Ralph and Russ will find away to reward it.

Comment

• The King
                      • Jun 2004

Nobody wants to play here... you understand that right? No one wants to be part of a losing franchise. We need to win games, we're offering Mike Shannahan 10 million dollars a year to coach here. Why? Because we suck ass! Not because he's worth that insane price tag.

If we put together some wins this team doesn't look like the red headed stepchild and we can possibly sign some FA's who will make and impact, draft solid in your spots and viola you have a winning team. We dont need a top 5 pick to win 10 games...
                      Last edited by The King; 12-01-2009, 08:30 AM.
                      It was all

Comment

• mybills
                        81 st zoner
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by ddaryl
                        Sorry but the Bills have already rolled over on the seaosn, to all of sudden wake up now is insulting to me.
                        ?
                        I didn't come here to fight, I hate fighting. Life is way too short to spend it on fighting! Go fight with yourself, one of you will eventually win!

Comment

• realdealryan
                          realdealrex
                          • Nov 2005

Just WIN! It keeps players (except one) and attracts better players (so we're not stuck giving our $50 mil to Derrick Dockery!), makes a prospective GM or coach feel like there IS talent here that has been awakened, lets us spread the money around further back in the draft (especially good in a weak tackle class), etc....

Comment

• SABURZFAN
                            short bus extraordinaire
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by MBBedard
                            we're offering Mike Shannahan 10 million dollars a year to coach here.

supposedly
                            Originally posted by yordad
                            Christ, you are the queerest person in the history of Bills fanhood. I swear to god I would stomp you.

Comment

• casdhf
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by ddaryl
                              I just fail to see what winning does for this team at this point but force us to let the draft come to us. I would rather draft higher have a choice at a top player or trade back for more picks.

It's harder to do that at #11 or #14 then it is at #5

For me this season is shot, and I am looking forward to the offseason more so then the last 5 games of this season.... Sorry but the Bills have already rolled over on the seaosn, to all of sudden wake up now is insulting to me.

The team needs players, needs new coaches, and new talent evaluators, and if we some how all of sudden we win 3 or 4 of these last 5 games it sends a signal that we do not need many of these changes and we stick with the craptastic direction we've been heading for 10 years.

I guess what I don't understand is why anyone thinks winning is even worth it at this point. The season is done. We are not going to the playoffs AGAIN, and the team has shown throughout the entire year that it has weaknesses in a few areas.

The best way to build a team is through the draft and the best way to draft is to have extra picks and/or great draft position to pick up top talent....
                              And yes drafting is not an exact science, but just because the Bills have sucked at it doesn't mean that the great teams make the most of their high draft picks when they get them.... If the Bills are going to be great again they need studs, and the best chances to gain these studs is by having a choice of picks at the top of the draft and/or trading back for extra picks. Both are done best from the upper part of the draft.

So the Bills lose the last 5 games and finish 4 - 12.. Lets say they draft #7 overall.... Because they had a horrible seaosn We either get a new HC who takes charge of talent evaluation and brings in some of his own people, or Russ and Ralph agree to hire a real GM to handle talent evalutation etc...

Now we have new talent evaluators. If you were the new GM or the new HC who knows this team needs some players would you rather have the #14 pick or the #7 pick

My guess is any new GM / HC wants an opportunity to draft a top ranked player, or pick up as many picks in the 1st 3 rds and they can grab to build the team in their mold through the draft

Like I said any win means nothing to me. I honestly do not care...This team had the chance to impress me but they missed the playoffs already so I don't want to lose the chance at a more exciting offseaosn just so a team that sucks can convince itself it doesn't suck as much as they thought
                              There isn't a Peyton Manning in this draft and no matter how high we get we won't pick 1 or 2. Fail.
                              Originally posted by BillsZone Mod
                              cas,

I'm just letting you know that you have been given 2 points for telling Wys AKA Mark to kill himself.

BillsZone Mod

Comment

Working...
                              X