PDA

View Full Version : Thank you, Dolphins, for choosing Culpepper instead of Brees...

MikeInRoch
12-01-2009, 08:24 AM
If you remember, they turned down Brees in favor of Daunte. What a difference that would have made...

Historian
12-01-2009, 08:26 AM
:bf1:

SABURZFAN
12-01-2009, 08:31 AM
:chuckle:

Forward_Lateral
12-01-2009, 08:34 AM
I thought he turned them down?

Dicknoze69
12-01-2009, 08:50 AM
I thought he turned them down?

The Dolphins doctors were scared off by Brees' shoulder injury and they decided they'd rather trade a 2nd rounder for Culpepper.

Frankly, I'm still amazed a young Pro Bowl QB hit the free agent market and only two teams were seriously interested.

Static
12-01-2009, 08:54 AM
another great Saban choice.

Griff
12-01-2009, 10:28 AM
to be fair though, Brees wouldn't have the weapons in Miami he has in New Orleans. They built a pretty good team down there.

Mahdi
12-01-2009, 11:00 AM
to be fair though, Brees wouldn't have the weapons in Miami he has in New Orleans. They built a pretty good team down there.
Brees is making everyone look like Larry Fitzgerald.

I think Felton Huggins would have 5-7 TDs with Brees.

Historian
12-01-2009, 11:15 AM
The Historian bumped FTP's Ode to Duante thread in the No-TOS Zone as an homage to this thread!

DynaPaul
12-01-2009, 11:21 AM
I said that was a mistake when it happened. Banking on Daunte Culpepper set them back about 5 years.

Miami_Vice
12-02-2009, 02:53 PM
haha your welcome!

But seriously, the Fins have actually pasted on Brees TWICE. The first time was in the draft, where our brillant front office picked Jamar Fletcher and passed on Brees(who was picked in the 2nd round I believe).

Whats even more mindboggling about that Fletcher pick was that we already had Surtain and Madison as two shut down corners but our excellent coaching staff wanted some more secondary backup.

I am not even sure if Jamar Fletcher is still in the NFL. I think he is working the late shift at White Castler now or something..

DBrown77
12-02-2009, 05:32 PM
I was talking to my wife about that while watching MNF

BillsWin
12-02-2009, 06:13 PM
I doubt that Dolphins staff would have put Brees in a situation like he has in New Orleans. A solid offensive line, spread attack, great wide receivers. Almost the perfect playbook and personnel for a QB like Brees.

BREES is in fact the one who is lucky the Dolphins turned him down. In my opinion.

Nighthawk
12-02-2009, 06:30 PM
If you remember, they turned down Brees in favor of Daunte. What a difference that would have made...

Hey, probably the only post you've had that made any sense. I agree, the Phins f**ked that one up. But hey, the Bills could've signed him too and didn't...just another example of how badly this team needs a house cleaning.

Demon
12-02-2009, 06:43 PM
Ah, the great game of "what if".

Not only he doesn't have the talent as New Orleans has, but like a poster above said, that is debatable because he does make several nobodies look great, such as Colston and Moore. He does have some big weapons though in Henderson and Meachem. The other difference is, what style of football would they play? Sean Payton plays the spread offense in NO, very similar to what they do in college and they used it ALL night on Monday and Brees was playing from shutgun almost ALL night.... and they tore apart the Patriots. It's interesting to know, how well (or poor) Brees would play if he wasn't in the spread.

On a seperate topic, teams that use the spread offense in the NFL are finding more and more success. Once, the theory of spread offense was unheard of to use in the NFL, but now it's becoming successful. Will the trent contineau? I just saw a statistic on ESPN NFL Live, in 2004 24% of all throwing plays were from shutgun..... in 2008 the number jumped to 46%. As of Tuesday, this season, 56% of all throwing plays are from shutgun.

Nighthawk
12-02-2009, 07:08 PM
Ah, the great game of "what if".

Not only he doesn't have the talent as New Orleans has, but like a poster above said, that is debatable because he does make several nobodies look great, such as Colston and Moore. He does have some big weapons though in Henderson and Meachem. The other difference is, what style of football would they play? Sean Payton plays the spread offense in NO, very similar to what they do in college and they used it ALL night on Monday and Brees was playing from shutgun almost ALL night.... and they tore apart the Patriots. It's interesting to know, how well (or poor) Brees would play if he wasn't in the spread.

On a seperate topic, teams that use the spread offense in the NFL are finding more and more success. Once, the theory of spread offense was unheard of to use in the NFL, but now it's becoming successful. Will the trent contineau? I just saw a statistic on ESPN NFL Live, in 2004 24% of all throwing plays were from shutgun..... in 2008 the number jumped to 46%. As of Tuesday, this season, 56% of all throwing plays are from shutgun.

Perfect for say...Colt McCoy?

Demon
12-02-2009, 07:25 PM
Perfect for say...Colt McCoy?

I think his value is going up due to the league having success in the spread. I still think he can be a great QB in the NFL.

MikeInRoch
12-02-2009, 07:27 PM
Hey, probably the only post you've had that made any sense.

This from the person who roots for "his team" to lose.

Meathead
12-02-2009, 07:44 PM
yeah but cpep was pretty sick hot for a while there. i never believed it was all randy but its hard to see it otherwise now. i think i woulda taken cpep too

still,

:lolpoint: fish

Nighthawk
12-02-2009, 07:53 PM
This from the person who roots for "his team" to lose.

No, I root for my team to get better...and that won't happen from meaningless wins.

PECKERWOOD
12-02-2009, 07:58 PM
Allow me to hopefully provide some perspective here... Drew Brees was a 2nd round pick, which is the same round in which Colt McCoy is projected to go, just goes to show you how big of a crap shoot the draft is.

MikeInRoch
12-02-2009, 08:05 PM
No, I root for my team to get better...and that won't happen from meaningless wins.

a) There are no meaningless wins.
b) I disagree with your assessment that the team will not get better if they win games.

MikeInRoch
02-07-2010, 08:13 PM
Bump, because the original post seems appropriate...

LtFinFan66
02-07-2010, 08:28 PM
who gives a crap several years later...I mean really

Philagape
02-07-2010, 09:00 PM

I do :funny:

Novacane
02-07-2010, 09:05 PM
I do :funny:

Me too!

Michael82
02-07-2010, 10:03 PM
:rofl: I totally forgot that the Dolphins were gonna sign Brees. :phew:

Michael82
02-07-2010, 10:04 PM
Allow me to hopefully provide some perspective here... Drew Brees was a 2nd round pick, which is the same round in which Colt McCoy is projected to go, just goes to show you how big of a crap shoot the draft is.
When you have a guy like Tom Brady drafted in the 6th round, it proves to you right then that the draft is a major crap shoot.

LtFinFan66
02-07-2010, 10:13 PM
I do :funny:yeah...you guys have really taken advantage of that mistake:funny:

Historian
02-08-2010, 06:44 AM
Me three!

:lolpoint: Fish

Novacane
02-08-2010, 07:02 AM
yeah...you guys have really taken advantage of that mistake:funny:

:lolpoint: @ fin fans trying change the subject.

Luisito23
02-08-2010, 07:16 AM
:funny:

Cleve
02-08-2010, 11:12 AM
Obviously, a big mistake by the Fins. But I don't take too much delight in it, considering that A) the Dolphins team is currently superior to the Bills, and B) the Bills have certainly made just as many horrible hiring mistakes in the last decade, if not more, than the Fins.

Michael82
02-08-2010, 12:32 PM
I wonder how much the Chargers fans are crying into their beers for giving up on Brees so quickly. Rivers is good, but he's a punk and not as good as Brees.

Nighthawk
02-08-2010, 12:36 PM

And let's not forget that the Bills also could've had Brees...so, ehh....this is kind of hindsight.

The last buffalo fan
02-08-2010, 01:07 PM

:lolabove:

Novacane
02-08-2010, 05:15 PM
And let's not forget that the Bills also could've had Brees...so, ehh....this is kind of hingsight.

We had the future superstar JP Losman. Why would we have been interested in Brees?

ByrdsTheWord
02-08-2010, 05:17 PM

You honestly think Meachem, Henderson and Lance Moore are good WR's? That system and Brees make them look better than they are.

feldspar
02-08-2010, 11:33 PM
Ha, ha, ha indeed.

I grew up in Buffalo and spent decades there, but I've been living in Florida for the past 6 years. Dolphins football on TV every week here, but the Bills game is on MY main TV. I KNEW it at the time that it was a HUGE mistake to take Culpepper over Brees, and I'm no genius. Don't care about the perceived injuries to both players. Saw the game live where Culpepper was embarrassed by the Bills that first year. Great stuff.

LtFinFan66
02-09-2010, 12:42 AM
:lolpoint: @ fin fans trying change the subject.how am I changing the subject? Just pointing out facts. just saying

Dr. Pepper
02-09-2010, 05:51 AM
how am I changing the subject? Just pointing out facts. just saying

fact: Brees is a LOT better than henne. :chuckle:

LtFinFan66
02-09-2010, 07:11 AM
fact: Brees is a LOT better than henne. :chuckle:talk about changing the subject...how about we give Henne some time. At this time, you would be correct though

DraftBoy
02-09-2010, 07:35 AM
And let's not forget that the Bills also could've had Brees...so, ehh....this is kind of hindsight.

You're assuming Brees was interested in coming to us like he was in going to the Dolphins. You are making a very big assumption without any fact at all.

We know that Brees would of signed with the Dolphins had they choosen to go that route, we have no idea if he would of signed with Buffalo.

Naturally though don't let the small facts get in the way of your bashing.

LtFinFan66
02-09-2010, 07:40 AM
Though if you really have to time to not worry about your own team and bash the Dolphins.....don't forget we passed on him in the draft as well instead taking Jamar Fletcher

DraftBoy
02-09-2010, 07:43 AM
Though if you really have to time to not worry about your own team and bash the Dolphins.....don't forget we passed on him in the draft as well instead taking Jamar Fletcher

Passing on a draft pick means nothing, 31 other teams passed on him at first too.

LtFinFan66
02-09-2010, 08:20 AM
Passing on a draft pick means nothing, 31 other teams passed on him at first too.true

Cleve
02-09-2010, 08:37 AM
We know that Brees would of signed with the Dolphins had they choosen to go that route, we have no idea if he would of signed with Buffalo.

Haven't we all figured out by now that most quality NFL personnel (coaches, players, etc) get a bad feeling in their 'gut', ala Cowher, about coming to Buffalo and decline the generous invitation?

Further, "Bad Feeling in Gut" ~= Ralph Wilson Jr. and his increasingly erratic decision making/meddling in football operations.

LtFinFan66
02-09-2010, 08:42 AM
You honestly think Meachem, Henderson and Lance Moore are good WR's? That system and Brees make them look better than they are.I see you left out his best receiver: Colston and also Shockey....and that other guy....ummm....Reggie Bush

Cleve
02-09-2010, 08:49 AM
I must say... again... that I don't grok my fellow Bills fans mocking Miami for a bad personnel choice. If this was the Saints Forum, then the foundation of the gloating would be strong and clear- that's a team that made all the right choices in the last 4 years. But the Bills?????

There's that old adage - "People that live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones" - our personnel choices over the last decade have SUCKED, for the most part. Now our team is in such utter disarray, and the front office is viewed so poorly by the rest of the league that it seems our best option (or maybe our only option) is Chan Gailey coaching Michael Effin' Vick!!!

Philagape
02-09-2010, 10:00 AM
It is resolved that my own team's failures in no way inhibits my mocking other teams' failures.

I welcome mockery of my team, for it is well-deserved. I support the free flow of mutual mockery.

ByrdsTheWord
02-09-2010, 10:02 AM
I see you left out his best receiver: Colston and also Shockey....and that other guy....ummm....Reggie Bush

Ummm...ummmm. Stutter much? Colston and Shockey are actually as good as advertised. I named players that AREN'T that good. So why would i put Colston and Shockey on that list? ummm. Reggie Bush sucks. WHat's he done for New Orleans in his 4 years there? Chris Johnson has rushed for more yards this year than Bush has in his entire 4 year career. Yeaa...he's doing great.

You're outta my league bub.

LtFinFan66
02-09-2010, 10:04 AM
Ummm...ummmm. Stutter much? Colston and Shockey are actually as good as advertised. I named players that AREN'T that good. So why would i put Colston and Shockey on that list? ummm. Reggie Bush sucks. WHat's he done for New Orleans in his 4 years there? Chris Johnson has rushed for more yards this year than Bush has in his entire 4 year career. Yeaa...he's doing great.why would you name the guys who aren't very good when listing the weapons at his disposal? Makes ZERO sense. Never stuttered in my life....just trying to slow it down a little to help you understand. I am talking Bush the runner/receiver not just the runner.

ByrdsTheWord
02-09-2010, 10:11 AM
why would you name the guys who aren't very good when listing the weapons at his disposal? Makes ZERO sense. Never stuttered in my life....just trying to slow it down a little to help you understand. I am talking Bush the runner/receiver not just the runner.

wow...you really that dense? my point is the Saints offensive system and Brees make Meachem, Henderson and Moore look better than they actually play. Comprende?

Yea Chris Johnson STILL has as many RUSHING the last 2 years than Bush has TOTAL yds in his ENTIRE career. That's still sad man.

LtFinFan66
02-09-2010, 10:14 AM
You honestly think Meachem, Henderson and Lance Moore are good WR's? That system and Brees make them look better than they are.this answer was in response to a post that said Brees would not have had the same type weapons in Miami....seems pretty cut and dry to me. I understand that about Johnson but what does that have to do with this? Bush is not the player he was in college but he is still dangerous out of the backfield

ByrdsTheWord
02-09-2010, 10:16 AM
this answer was in response to a post that said Brees would not have had the same type weapons in Miami....seems pretty cut and dry to me

But not the same offensive SYSTEM. I guess you MISSED that point...AGAIN. Sean Payton and Brees were a matchmade in heaven. They complement each other so well and that's why they're able to be so successful. He would have less weapons in Miami than he did in San Diego...are you kidding me?

LtFinFan66
02-09-2010, 10:18 AM
dude...really? we are talking Miami vs. NO here....not San Diego. I am done arguing with you...it's like talking to the wall.

ByrdsTheWord
02-09-2010, 10:19 AM
dude...really? we are talking Miami vs. NO here....not San Diego. I am done arguing with you...it's like talking to the wall.

Thanks...give it up. I win again. :whistle:

LtFinFan66
02-09-2010, 10:31 AM
:rofl: We will agree to disagree. Mitchell55 needs to post to take your attention away from me

justasportsfan
02-09-2010, 10:48 AM
I used to love smacking with finfans but I hate the Pats more right now. All I have to do these days is laugh at the fins gay colors and it's enough.

feldspar
02-09-2010, 03:25 PM
Ummm...ummmm. Stutter much? Colston and Shockey are actually as good as advertised. I named players that AREN'T that good. So why would i put Colston and Shockey on that list? ummm. Reggie Bush sucks. WHat's he done for New Orleans in his 4 years there? Chris Johnson has rushed for more yards this year than Bush has in his entire 4 year career. Yeaa...he's doing great.

You're outta my league bub.

Reggie Bush is well utilized by Drew Brees as a receiver out of the backfield. Bush has averaged 65 catches per year in his four years in New Orleans. If he sucks, that makes Brees all the more impressive to get this kind of production out of him, especially since Bush isn't even always in the backfield...he has limited playing time. He hasn't lived up to his #2 overall pick, but he doesn't exactly suck. He's averaged 4 yards per carry, which isn't great (or that bad, either), but his receptions and punt returns somewhat make up for his shortcomings at running the ball. 7 TDs per year all-round. Although, Bush doesn't get that many carries. Did you know that he averaged 5.6 yards per carry this year? Yet he only carried the ball 70 times. Chris Johnson carried the ball 358 times this year...Bush has 488 carries his entire career. Just sayin'...who would I rather have on my team? Chris Johnson of course, and by a mile. He catches a bunch of balls, too. Not really fair judging a RB in comparison to the best RB in football right now.

Colston and Bush both came into the NFL the year Brees came to the Saints. With Colston, it's hard to say how much of his success is attributable to Drew Brees. Colston was picked in the 7th round and has never played an NFL game without Brees. You can't say that playing with Brees doesn't make Colston better and adds to his reputation. In fact, it's possible Colston wouldn't have seen much success on a different team. Meachum has never played in the NFL without Brees, either. Henderson picked up his game big-time once Brees came into town. Meachum and Henderson aren't that great, either. Stevie Johnson would probably thrive on that Saints team, or at least people would know he existed.

Brees makes his receivers better, and I can't see how anyone could argue otherwise. Brees is a great QB. Definitely up there with Brady and Manning right now.