PDA

View Full Version : Player development

psubills62
12-01-2009, 09:24 AM
I don't think our coaching staff under Jauron got enough blame for the way they developed players, or rather the way they didn't.

I'm mainly starting this thread because I know that there are plenty of people who believe the lack of talent on the roster was the main reason for the crappy play, and not Jauron's coaching.

Also, I've seen a lot of people say "well, if we could have just drafted XXXX, or gotten YYYYY in the second round, think how great our team would be." Really? Does anyone here think that Roethlisberger would have helped win our team a SB if we had gotten him? I actually believe that the coaches here were so bad that almost no matter what QB we picked in that draft, they would have flopped. Maybe not as badly as Losman did, but at what point can any Bills fan say that our coaches put him in a position to succeed?

But where was the player development? I have a hard time believing that in all the years Jauron was here, we didn't pick a single player with talent.

Every draft prospect has some level of talent. Some are more NFL-ready than others. But every draft prospect needs to be developed at some level. It's up to the coaches to help them adjust to the pro game and put them in a position to win. I didn't see that at all under Jauron's tenure. In fact it seems more like players who have talent are struggling to break through the coaching barrier that's holding them back (e.g. Fred Jackson).

Under Jauron, all I saw was drafting players and forcing them into the Tampa 2 defense. I didn't see any scheme changes to fit our personnel. New England and Baltimore switched to a 4-3 this year because their strength was in the DL, not the LB.

I personally think the drafting of Maybin is a perfect example. They got a guy who has talent, but is an extremely raw prospect. And instead of trying to adjust the defense to get this guy on the field in a position where he can succeed, they try to force Maybin into a pre-determined role that requires a lot of physical and mental growth all at once. Where's the logic in that?

Sorry for the long post, I just wanted to see what people have to say about player development under Jauron. I believe we have talent on the roster, it just hasn't been used in the last 4 years.

justasportsfan
12-01-2009, 10:00 AM
Every player under Dick gets the benefit of the doubt because they were set up to fail and held back by a play not to lose philosophy. .

Offense was ran to control the clock instead of scoring and the D was made to prevent teams from scoring instead of having both units attack.

psubills62
12-01-2009, 10:02 AM
Every player under Dick gets the benefit of the doubt because they were set up to fail and held back by a play not to lose philosophy. .

Offense was ran to control the clock instead of scoring and the D was made to prevent teams from scoring instead of having both units attack.

I wouldn't go that far, but I do agree with this post. A lot of the players, especially young ones, should get a chance under a new coach.