PDA

View Full Version : Identifying the “crux players” on Buffalo’s roster

patmoran2006
12-02-2009, 01:01 PM
two weeks ago – a day before the Buffalo Bills fired head coach Dick Jauron, in fact – we took a look at the core players (http://www.buffalosportsdaily.com/2009/11/identifying-the-core-of-the-buffalo-bills-roster/) of Buffalo’s roster. The idea behind the post was to identify players that, based on their contract status with the franchise, are very likely to survive a regime change at One Bills Drive.

We’ll recap the fruits of that labor quickly after the jump, but the purpose of this post is to take that exercise a step further. With the core players out of the way, it’s time to look at the players that I’ll term “crux players” – guys with flexible contract situations that will define a new regime’s focus on re-building the Bills.

MORE (http://www.buffalosportsdaily.com/2009/12/identifying-the-crux-players-on-buffalos-roster/)

PECKERWOOD
12-02-2009, 01:33 PM
My core players:

Byrd
Wood
Levitre
Hangartner
Evans
Whitner
McKelvin
K. Williams
Stroud
Schobel
Maybin

All the rest I feel are solid, but easily replaceable. I understand Marshawn is a pro bowler and Jackson has been good, but we could replace both of those guys.

Yasgur's Farm
12-02-2009, 01:35 PM
Starters:
Ryan Fitzpatrick
James Hardy
Paul Posluszny
Donte Whitner
Rian Lindell

Reserves:
Brian Brohm
Steve Johnson
Derek Fine
Demetrius Bell
Chris Kelsay
Chris Ellis
John McCargo
Drayton Florence
Reggie Corner

Yasgur's Farm
12-02-2009, 01:38 PM
My crux players:

Byrd
Wood
Levitre
Hangartner
Evans
Whitner
McKelvin
K. Williams
Stroud
Schobel
Maybin

All the rest I feel are solid, but easily replaceable. I understand Marshawn is a pro bowler and Jackson has been good, but we could replace both of those guys.Read the article... You'll get a better idea on how to define "core" and "crux" players.

PECKERWOOD
12-02-2009, 02:04 PM
Read the article... You'll get a better idea on how to define "core" and "crux" players.

I understood where Pat was going, but I couldn't articulate my response well. Today is just one of those days where I can't do anything right, in this sentence alone I had to correct 4-5 typos. While playing on the guitar today, songs that I typically can play with no problem, I've had to run through them about 4-5x as well. Today isn't a good day for me, I'll be grabbing a 6 pack after work. :rant:

Yasgur's Farm
12-02-2009, 02:06 PM
Are you having a stroke?

Yasgur's Farm
12-02-2009, 02:06 PM
I agree with your core player list.

Mr. Pink
12-02-2009, 02:09 PM
Worth keeping around?

I'm having a tough time with this.

Florence because of the veteran presence and versatility.

Lindell because he's automatic inside of 40.

Hardy because of the pick invested him, you have to play him to see what he's got.

The rest? Doesn't matter if they're here or not. All are easily replaceable. Hardy is also easily replaceable but you can't get rid of the guy at this time based on the investment on him.

PECKERWOOD
12-02-2009, 02:11 PM
I agree with your core player list.

Are you having a stroke?

Thankfully, too young for a stroke! Just one of those days man, I can't walk a darn foot without tripping over my feet. Not sure what my issue is today.

trapezeus
12-02-2009, 02:16 PM
Starters:
Fitz
Poz
Florence
Lindel

Fringe starter
Brohm if needed
Hardy if he can step up

Reserves:
Brohm
Lynch
Johnson
Bell
Corner - nickel only

Cuts:
TE - not needed. the team needs a realy 3rd string with potential to get better. Either a late 1st day draft or early 2nd day pick.
Mcintyre- i don't really believe that we need core special team players that don't contribute on offense or defense.
Parrish- there is nothing there. he's done. he might just need a change of scenery to get his punt return skills back, but he's certainly no WR.
Fine - Schouman played well, nelson looks better and stupar was ok as a backup with blocking. if you need to clear a body to bring in depth elsewhere, this is the place to do it.
Kelsay - too expensive. he got better this year, but was it really worth his contract price? let ellis and maybin prove they should be here.
Mccargo - gone. johnson played well against miami and jax. williams is good. Draft high for the 4th guy in the rotation. it'll make a world of difference.
Whitner- if the cost is too high to resign him, his play isn't that markedly different from scott and wilson.
Wendling - the one time his big jump actually got over the line and blocked part of the FG, it still ended up being good. no need for him.

PECKERWOOD
12-02-2009, 02:44 PM
Edwards, Marshawn & Butler all have to be fringe starters.

trapezeus
12-02-2009, 02:46 PM
Edwards, Marshawn & Butler all have to be fringe starters.

Is this directed to anyone in particular? For me, i put edwards on the cut list, lynch is a back up and butler wasn't on the list that Pat put forward.

PECKERWOOD
12-02-2009, 02:57 PM
Is this directed to anyone in particular? For me, i put edwards on the cut list, lynch is a back up and butler wasn't on the list that Pat put forward.

I noticed you nor Pat had Edwards as a fringe starter on your list, to me that doesn't make sense. Cutting Edwards is a bad football move, he doesn't make much money and he has shown he can play football before in the past. I understand if we can get good trade value for him, but other than that, cutting Edwards is a major no no.

trapezeus
12-02-2009, 03:30 PM
fair enough. i think Edwards has become toxic to the team. It is fairly obvious that the WRs' were not in edwards corner. he may be a good qb, but it won't be here. he needs to be coached up and he isn't getting that here.

i don't think you are getting much for him in the way of picks. he has one year on his contract and other newer players with more potential are coming out.