PDA

View Full Version : No extension for TO this season

casdhf
12-02-2009, 02:28 PM
What "big-name" coach would want to inherit him? I dont see an extension happening before a new coach is hired. Any other thoughts?

patmoran2006
12-02-2009, 02:30 PM
You're 100% correct.

Unfortunately, that probably eliminates any real chance of him staying here beyond this year

Mahdi
12-02-2009, 02:44 PM
What "big-name" coach would want to inherit him? I dont see an extension happening before a new coach is hired. Any other thoughts?
If Shanahan were to come here... Why wouldn't he want a player like T.O.? He has done everything right since being here and is showing why he is a HOF receiver.

I think Shannahan understand the value of a player like T.O. having coached Marshall.

Yasgur's Farm
12-02-2009, 03:52 PM
These are all good points... But we may consider the Franchise tag. That would likely be the decision of the new regime and may keep the option open for negotiating a 2 or 3 year deal.

DynaPaul
12-02-2009, 03:57 PM
I say we keep him... at a more reasonable price than 6.5 mil per season.

Dr. Pepper
12-02-2009, 03:59 PM
based on the thread title, i thought this was going to be about more than just speculation.... oh well.

tampabay25690
12-02-2009, 04:00 PM

$6.5 will be the range we pay a guy ike this....

Yasgur's Farm
12-02-2009, 04:01 PM
Players can be tagged in a 15 day period in the middle of February. Even if the new regieme isn't in place yet, the Bills could still tag him. I believe the tag can be removed up to a relatively late date... The player would then become a free agent.

I believe last years top 5 WR's averaged $9.9M. This would leave room for an ultimate deal something like...

3 years... $6M signing bonus, $4M 2010 (guaranteed,) $4M 2011 (guaranteed), $10M 2012.

realdealryan
12-02-2009, 04:04 PM
These are all good points... But we may consider the Franchise tag. That would likely be the decision of the new regime and may keep the option open for negotiating a 2 or 3 year deal.

Let me get this straight - he won't resign with us, but then we spend MORE money to get his "non-commital" level of performance?

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUKKKKKKKKK that.

It's going to take a Patriot collapse and winning out and some sort of star alignment/playoff berth for T.O. and Rosen**** to change their mind.

Dr. Pepper
12-02-2009, 04:05 PM
It's going to take a Patriot collapse and winning out and some sort of star alignment/playoff berth for T.O. and Rosen**** to change their mind.

unless no one else wants him again, which is entirely possible.

Crisis
12-02-2009, 04:15 PM
If Shanahan can put up with Marshall, I think he can handle TO.

SpillerThrills
12-02-2009, 04:41 PM
for T.O. and Rosen**** to change their mind.

where did you hear/read that TO didn't wanna come back next year? since we haven't heard that yet then what do they have to change their mind about?

Albany,n.y.
12-02-2009, 04:49 PM
Water is wet.

realdealryan
12-02-2009, 05:43 PM
where did you hear/read that TO didn't wanna come back next year? since we haven't heard that yet then what do they have to change their mind about?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/11/06/rosenhaus-says-bills-line-potentially-worst-in-the-league/
Ummm........I think we'd have to prove something to counteract this mindset. He obviously feels this enough to make an effing press release. Nobody else remembers this? Even Adam Schefter 'tweeted' that there was less chance that he resigns than the chance he signed in the first place.

SpillerThrills
12-02-2009, 05:53 PM
maybe your seeing something in the article that is hidden to me, but nowhere in there does it say anything about not coming back next season. now, am I saying that he is going to resign? no. TO's mouthpiece of an agent was spouting off about bad line play, which we all know about and giving reasons for TO not putting up the numbers that he usually does. things have changed since that article was written and TO is actually putting up some numbers. only time will tell on if he will resign or not.

BillsWin
12-02-2009, 06:09 PM
Too bad. I like him. He brings a kind of fire and swagger/ confidence that we have lacked for quite sometime. Even the players that had some semblence of confidence in themselves (Lynch for example) were completely drained of it from their time spent under Jauron. It was refreshing to have a "superstar" on the roster.

YardRat
12-02-2009, 06:29 PM
Just IMO, but I don't think TO is going to want to come back anyway.

He's been pretty well-behaved, and some team with a better chance at the playoffs/title will be all over him.

This was, from the start, a 'play nice for one season and move on' deal anyway.

mikemac2001
12-02-2009, 06:41 PM
Players can be tagged in a 15 day period in the middle of February. Even if the new regieme isn't in place yet, the Bills could still tag him. I believe the tag can be removed up to a relatively late date... The player would then become a free agent.

I believe last years top 5 WR's averaged $9.9M. This would leave room for an ultimate deal something like...

3 years... $6M signing bonus, $4M 2010 (guaranteed,) $4M 2011 (guaranteed), $10M 2012.

Only smart post ive seen

TAG HIM if a team really wants to add him they can't we have the rights

if TO wants to play again he signs a deal or gets 10m to play one year

Demon
12-02-2009, 06:47 PM
If Shanahan were to come here... Why wouldn't he want a player like T.O.? He has done everything right since being here and is showing why he is a HOF receiver.

I think Shannahan understand the value of a player like T.O. having coached Marshall.

Agreed, but i do agree with this thread. They are not going to start re-signing guys right now because it makes no sense. They are going to change the entire front office and get a new head coach (hopefully). It will be their duty to re-sign Owens if they feel like it. I think, if we want him to return, he will. And if Shanny does come, i don't think he'll have much problems with him. He dealt just fine with Brandon Marshall in Denver. Besides Marshall hitting women, they are like clones of each other.

PECKERWOOD
12-02-2009, 07:00 PM
If I were a competent head coach, I would love to see TO extended, especially if he demonstrated good faith in me, however, if there were any signs of disobedience, he surely would be swept aside.

Demon
12-02-2009, 07:42 PM

If theres no new regime by early February, it means they are in place without us knowing.... Fewell as HC and Brandon remains as GM. Very scary thought.

Beastie Bills
12-03-2009, 09:55 AM

More reasonable?

I think 6.5 is VERY reasonable.

It's less than we pay Evans (T.O. is better).
Less than Laverneous Coles got from Cincy (T.O. is way better).
Less than Dallas gave Roy Williams (T.O. is better).
Less than Seattle gave TJ Houshmandzedeh (People will argue, but I say T.O. is better).

Stewie
12-03-2009, 10:27 AM
As long as T.O. keeps his mouth shut and produces in these final games, he will play next year. Whether or not it's in buffalo will come down strictly to $$$$, IMO.

BertSquirtgum
12-03-2009, 11:58 AM
he's been a very good player and a teammate. there is no reason not to try and extend him. why wouldn't a new coach want a future hall of famer on his team?

Beastie Bills
12-03-2009, 03:41 PM
As much as I would love to have him back, I don't think there is any chance of him re-signing here.