PDA

View Full Version : Great Article by Nick Bakay

Nighthawk
12-02-2009, 05:14 PM
He hits the ball out of the park with this article. Oh, and he must not be a "real fan" because he actually was/is rooting for them to lose because he wants somebody to come in here and clean house and not keep the cheap alternative...Perry Fewell. I love what he had to say about getting a good football man in here to run the show and the possibility of bringing in Russ Grimm. I would not hate that at all...as long as a REAL football man is pulling the trigger on the next HC, then I can live with it.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d814a7a0b&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

naugem
12-02-2009, 05:34 PM
Great article! I think I agree with all of it, except with the rooting to lose part, I just can't do that.
Very funny by the way.

MikeInRoch
12-02-2009, 05:36 PM
No real fan roots for their team to lose. Period.

Nighthawk
12-02-2009, 06:01 PM

Yep, you're right...a person isn't a fan if they want what's best for their team. Yep..

Nighthawk
12-02-2009, 06:02 PM
Great article! I think I agree with all of it, except with the rooting to lose part, I just can't do that.
Very funny by the way.

No true fan is rooting for their team to lose...their rooting for change!

THATHURMANATOR
12-02-2009, 08:12 PM
Yep, you're right...a person isn't a fan if they want what's best for their team. Yep..
I wouldn't say you wouldn't be a fan to root for losses but I want a winning culture built. I am pretty sure they will do whatever they can to bring in a real coach so I am not worried.

MikeInRoch
12-02-2009, 08:35 PM
I suppose you are right. Rooting for losses when you believe it will better the team may not mean you aren't a fan. It might mean you are just a stupid fan.

Demon
12-02-2009, 08:44 PM
Can't take this too seriously.

First of all, Nick Bakay is a clown. He's comedy first and that's how he's managed to make his air time on ESPN. Not sure i ever took any of his serious comments seriously.

Ron Wolf? I liked the idea several years ago when we talked to him about the GM post... i believe it was when we hired Donahoe, but not sure. Wolf is 70 years old. He's been away from football for almost a decade. The league has changed. Styles have changed. Just ask Washington how the Joe Gibbs come back worked out. Or better yet, see how the Bills are doing after a Marv Levy comeback?

He pointed out all the obvious flaws in Bills football. Sure, i give him credit for putting it into writing for everyone to read. He didn't say anything in that article that wasn't posted on this forum.

I like Russ Grimm and wouldn't mind him being named with the right process and get interviewed by the right guy... however, Bakay's reasoning for it is just stupid. Sign him up because he's got a connection to the Steelers and Steelers > Bills? Um ok.

tampabay25690
12-02-2009, 09:09 PM
Can't take this too seriously.

First of all, Nick Bakay is a clown. He's comedy first and that's how he's managed to make his air time on ESPN. Not sure i ever took any of his serious comments seriously.

Ron Wolf? I liked the idea several years ago when we talked to him about the GM post... i believe it was when we hired Donahoe, but not sure. Wolf is 70 years old. He's been away from football for almost a decade. The league has changed. Styles have changed. Just ask Washington how the Joe Gibbs come back worked out. Or better yet, see how the Bills are doing after a Marv Levy comeback?

He pointed out all the obvious flaws in Bills football. Sure, i give him credit for putting it into writing for everyone to read. He didn't say anything in that article that wasn't posted on this forum.

I like Russ Grimm and wouldn't mind him being named with the right process and get interviewed by the right guy... however, Bakay's reasoning for it is just stupid. Sign him up because he's got a connection to the Steelers and Steelers > Bills? Um ok.

He is a Buffalo guy

Joe Fo Sho
12-02-2009, 09:17 PM
The f*** is a "real" fan?

I understand as much as anybody that the Bills are potentially better off losing and getting a better coach and a better draft pick. In the days coming up to the game, I am hoping that they lose.

Come gametime, I can't root for the Bills to lose. I can't hope Jackson fumbles, I can't hope Fitzel throws a pick six, I can't hope Lindell misses a game winning kick, I can't root for the opposition, no matter who they are.

What kind of fan does that make me?

Demon
12-02-2009, 09:57 PM
He is a Buffalo guy

Yeah, i know who he is. He's a clown.

Meathead
12-02-2009, 09:59 PM
very talented writer thats for sure. nice work

hes as comfortable with his unfanness as i am

psubills62
12-02-2009, 10:09 PM

I don't think your point (i.e. rooting for them to lose means you want them to get better) is valid for a couple reasons.

First of all, Fewell might turn out to be a decent coach. I'm not in any way advocating him as a permanent hire, but he might end up being a decent HC one day.

Secondly, Wilson specifically went out and made waves with big names right after firing Jauron. Unless Fewell runs the table, I don't see Wilson being satisfied with just hiring Fewell.

Thirdly, how exactly does rooting for the team to lose actually help them lose? Your rooting either way has ZERO effect on the outcome of the games. Why not just root for them to win, but then if they lose, you have reason to be happy about it?

psubills62
12-02-2009, 10:15 PM
The f*** is a "real" fan?

I understand as much as anybody that the Bills are potentially better off losing and getting a better coach and a better draft pick. In the days coming up to the game, I am hoping that they lose.

Come gametime, I can't root for the Bills to lose. I can't hope Jackson fumbles, I can't hope Fitzel throws a pick six, I can't hope Lindell misses a game winning kick, I can't root for the opposition, no matter who they are.

What kind of fan does that make me?

First of all, why would losing necessarily get us a better coach? If we go 3-2 from here on out, why on earth would Wilson keep Fewell on?

Second, a "better" draft pick would also be exponentially more costly, and not necessarily that much better. I'd much rather draft in the 8-10 range. Can still get a top position player at a much better cost.

Third, Jauron has been grinding his losing ways into the players. I'd much, much, much rather see Fewell at least chip away at that mentality for the rest of the season than watch them continue to lose. Losing is not acceptable, and all of the players have to learn that.

Fourth, in an SI player's poll, they asked "which team would you NOT want to go to as a free agent," and guess which team came in second? The Bills. Oakland was the only team ahead of us. That means players would rather go to the Lions, Browns, etc. than us. How pathetic is that? I'd want to win and create a better image for our team than that after ten years we only sink lower and lower.

BertSquirtgum
12-02-2009, 10:46 PM
IMO, "real fans" do not root against their team. that's all there is to it. you can hope for change but for god sakes man how can you root against your team? i just don't get it. i wholeheartedly agree with what psu said.

djjimkelly
12-03-2009, 12:26 AM

not true

djjimkelly
12-03-2009, 12:32 AM
I suppose you are right. Rooting for losses when you believe it will better the team may not mean you aren't a fan. It might mean you are just a stupid fan.

normally in life those who try and point out others are dumb are normally the ones who should be looking in the mirror

:couch:

Jan Reimers
12-03-2009, 07:27 AM
I don't understand the assumption that if Fewell wins a few games, there will be few, if any, changes made.

And I really don't understand why, if Fewell should win all of our remaining games (I certainly don't think he will) that he wouldn't be a candidate for the HC job.

Historian
12-03-2009, 07:33 AM
Bakay is a satirist.

He's actually making a joke about the "fans" who eat, sleep, and breathe Buffalo Bills.

Do you guys need your art spoonfed to you?

Ed
12-03-2009, 12:25 PM
I liked this article because it focuses on the real root of the problem this decade. Tom Modrak. He's done a terrible job and he should be the first person replaced after this season regardless of what Fewell, Fitz, or the rest of the team does. All the focus that's on Fewell and the coaching position right now should really be aimed at the GM position. That's where we really need change.

Nighthawk
12-03-2009, 12:35 PM

Yep, that Denver win last year built a winning culture and did the franchise a lot of good. I do believe you were one of the people all giddy about that win. Well, what did it get you? It got you another year wasted with Jauron as HC.

RockStar36
12-03-2009, 12:56 PM
I just read the article and actually really enjoyed it. He made some great points.

MikeInRoch
12-03-2009, 01:24 PM
Yep, that Denver win last year built a winning culture and did the franchise a lot of good. I do believe you were one of the people all giddy about that win. Well, what did it get you? It got you another year wasted with Jauron as HC.

And you know *that* is the reason that Dick was kept because....

Ed
12-03-2009, 03:11 PM
And you know *that* is the reason that Dick was kept because....
I'm pretty sure we kept Jauron because we foolishly gave him an extension 4 games into the season without him accomplishing anything.

thenry20
12-03-2009, 03:19 PM

INDEED! Instead, find a team that perpetually freakin sux so that way they'll be guaranteed of never winning anything except high draft picks (most of whom turn out to be busts).

Sorry but Nick is a ****ing moron here and needs to be outed as such.

thenry20
12-03-2009, 03:23 PM
IMO, "real fans" do not root against their team. that's all there is to it. you can hope for change but for god sakes man how can you root against your team? i just don't get it. i wholeheartedly agree with what psu said.

Just because we got Bruce Smith #1 overall in 85 doesn't mean we're going to hit a homerun again. We were lucky as hell.

Personally, I'm the type of fan who roots for playoff wins and not top picks in the draft.

MikeInRoch
12-03-2009, 04:09 PM
I'm pretty sure we kept Jauron because we foolishly gave him an extension 4 games into the season without him accomplishing anything.

Gosh, you mean that it had nothing to do with a "meaningless" late season win against Denver? Who knew???