• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Philagape
    WIN NOW
    • Jul 2002

Blackhawks lock up Kane for 5 years

Chicago Blackhawks will announce signing of Duncan Keith, Patrick Kane and Jonathan Toews on Thursday

The final details of their contract extensions have been ironed out, and that means Jonathan Toews, Patrick Kane and Duncan Keith are officially Blackhawks for a long time.

The Hawks will have a news conference on Thursday to announce the signings of the trio of young stars, who were set to become unrestricted free agents after the season.

The Tribune first reported on Nov. 17 that Kane, Toews and Keith all would sign extensions at the same time, establishing a core group of players to solidify the franchise's future. After two weeks of tweaking and salary-cap manipulations, Hawks general manager Stan Bowman completed identical five-year deals for forwards Kane and Toews worth a reported $31.5 million each, while defenseman Keith inked a 13-year, $72 million contract.
    "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
    2004 BZ Big Money League Champion
  • SabreEleven
    • Aug 2002

Re: Blackhawks lock up Kane for 5 years

This puts a little damper on my Thursday.

Comment

• RockStar36
      Dude's Little Ignorant Crony
      • Sep 2004

I am absolutely amazed.

They were already close to cap hell and somehow locked all these guys up. I can only imagine what their cap situation looks like. Even with it fitting, it has to be right up against the limit now.

D & S Sports

Comment

• SabreEleven
        • Aug 2002

I am and was a huge Buffalo Sabres fan growing up. I remember actually crying when the Sabres lost in the playoffs year after year (****ing Brad Park). I never really played ice hockey growing up (lack of funds) but I always thought that if I made the NHL that I could NEVER play for another team besides the Sabres. How could someone from Buffalo who grew up a Sabres play for another team? Kane supposely was a huge Sabres fan as expected. Of course you can't control who drafts you but you can control who you sign with after your initial contract is over. I'm sure that there is some restricted Free Ageny keeping him from moving as quickly. It would be hard for me as a Sabre fan growing up to play for another NHL team.
        Last edited by SabreEleven; 12-03-2009, 08:53 AM.

Comment

• Philagape
          WIN NOW
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by SabreEleven
          I am and was a huge Buffalo Sabres fan growing up. I remember actually crying when the Sabres lost in the playoffs year after year (****ing Brad Park). I never really played ice hockey growing up (lack of funds) but I always thought that if I made the NHL that I could NEVER play for another team besides the Sabres. How could someone from Buffalo who grew up a Sabres play for another team? Kane supposely was a huge Sabres fan as expected. Of course you can't control who drafts you but you can control who you sign with after your initial contract is over. I'm sure that there is some restricted Free Ageny keeping him from moving as quickly. It would be hard for me as a Sabre fan growing up to play for another NHL team.
          Welcome to the world of pro sports.
          How many players play for their hometown team? Very few.

I'm sure Pittsburgh fans appreciate where Jim Kelly played and now still lives.
          "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
          2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• SabreEleven
            • Aug 2002

Originally posted by Philagape
            Welcome to the world of pro sports.
            How many players play for their hometown team? Very few.

I'm sure Pittsburgh fans appreciate where Jim Kelly played and now still lives.
            and Joe Montana and Dan Marino.

I'm sure if I was in his situation I would sing a different tune.

Comment

• RockStar36
              Dude's Little Ignorant Crony
              • Sep 2004

Money talks apparently.

D & S Sports

Comment

• Nighthawk
                Getting old waiting for a championship in Buffalo!
                • Jul 2002

Hmmm, an organization actually kept their good players...what a concept!!!

Honestly, I'm a little upset and was hoping Kane had a chance to come to Buffalo after his contract expired.

Comment

• BuffaloRanger
                  WORK HARD. PLAY HARD. LIVE HARD.
                  • Mar 2003

I wonder if Darcy and Larry are paying attention to how real teams keep their all-star players...

Sad day. I don't blame Kane though. He's got a good thing going there. Good friends. Why wouldn't he stay? That's an organization that obviously wants to win the Cup and are going to go for it.

It's not like the Sabres are going to be anything more then 8th playoff seed chasers for the next 5 years.
                  Last edited by BuffaloRanger; 12-03-2009, 04:47 PM.
                  Buffalo Only and Always.

Comment

Working...
                  X