PDA

View Full Version : The 53 you think we'll see

Dozerdog
06-01-2003, 01:05 AM
Here is whom I think will be on the Bills final 53 man roster. (No particular depth depicted)

========================
QB- Bledsoe, AVP, Jason Johnson

(* If a quality vet backup is available cheap- Bills may look)

RB- Henry, Gary, Simonton ,
FB- Crosby, Gash

TE- Moore, Campbell. Mcdonnell

WR- Moulds, Reed, Shaw, Aiken, R Wright ( my sleeper- unless a splash is made after June 1)

OL - Williams, Brown, Sullivan, Jennings, Teague , Price, Pucillo, Sobieski, Conaty ( I beleive he will resign for the minimum)

=========================

DE- Schobel, Mckenzie, M Jones, Kelsay, Iorns, Denny

DT- P Williams, Adams, Bannan, Edwards

LB- Spikes, Fletcher, Posey, Spoon, Crowell, Haggan, Polk

CB- Clements, Winfield, Thomas, Sidney, McGee

S- Wire, Reese, Prioleau Driver
(another addition very possible - Lassiter?)
==========================

K- Lindell
P- Moorman

PUP- McGahee- see you in 2004

BADTHINGSMAN
06-01-2003, 02:20 AM
Looks really good Dozer.. Only 2 ill switch is

QB-Jason Johnson:Not sure he can beat out Travis Brown.. Maybe Johnson on the practice squad. I hope they dont pick up Jonathon Beasly he was released from Jacksonville..

WR-Rodney Wright: He probably be the number 4 if he didnt mess up last year. Would deffinitly take him over Charles Johnson,but maybe there be a veteran reciever after June 1st.. Mushin Muhammed could be a cap cut from Carolina.. Maybe offer him a contract let him split time at number 2 with Josh Reed..

BFBills
06-01-2003, 06:48 AM
gash is better than crosby....

Jan Reimers
06-01-2003, 10:10 AM
I think Morris will be back because of his ST ability, Brown will remain as 3rd QB, C. Johnson will beat out Wright because of his llockeroom presence, and we won't keep six DEs. More likely a 5th safety with STs experience, from the FA market. Or McGee could be switched to safety, and an FA CB brought in.

The Natrix
06-01-2003, 11:01 AM
2:05 am on a Sat night, huh? You must have been drunk.

I think Jan Reimers has got it right.

Even if Simonton proves to be a better runner than Morris, which I doubt (Curtis Alexander anyone?), They would have to be complete fools to get rid of Sammy. I don't want to see Charlie Rogers pull a Chad Morton. Morris is the definition of a team player. Definitely a guy you want on your roster.

No way does Brown go anywhere. The coaches seemed to like him better than AVP last year. So if anyone has a reason to be worried, it is AVP.

The Natrix
06-01-2003, 11:07 AM
BTW, I'm not ruling out Simonton making the roster, but I am ruling out Sammy Morris getting cut.

Same with AVP and Brown. It will either be the same as last year or Bledsoe, Brown, Johnson.

Dozerdog
06-01-2003, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by Jan Reimers
I think Morris will be back because of his ST ability, Brown will remain as 3rd QB, C. Johnson will beat out Wright because of his llockeroom presence, and we won't keep six DEs. More likely a 5th safety with STs experience, from the FA market. Or McGee could be switched to safety, and an FA CB brought in.

I took Simonton over Morris because of his versatility- Besides the total yards leader in NFLE he's also a top kick/Punt returner over there. Simonton, Crowell, Haggan will take over the Special teams role.

I also beleive Morris (who was nicked up a lot last season) is in the last year of his deal.

The only reason I took 6 DE' and not another safety is because I counted only players currently on the roster. I did mention though that I felt the Bills would possibly pick up another safety. Plus, 2 of the DE's are injury gambles (McKenzie and Jones) and depth was an issue.

What's so hot about Travis Brown? Personally, I think if a vet QB is out there at a decent price the Bills might consider it over doughboy, who's making a million per.

The Natrix
06-01-2003, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by Dozerdog

Simonton, Crowell, Haggan will take over the Special teams role.

This is Rob Johnson Ideology. They have not proven squat.

Dozerdog
06-01-2003, 11:28 AM
Oh, OK. I'll cut all the draft picks then. McGahee, Kelsay, what did they prove yet? :rolleyes:

The Natrix
06-01-2003, 11:31 AM
Don't cut them, just keep the Special teams ace. They need to learn from someone.

Answer me this: Irons or Sammy Morris?

Dozerdog
06-01-2003, 11:37 AM
Why compare apples and oranges? Iorns makes it (in theory) because DE is one of our most injury risky positions

And why would you want to protect the "Ace" of the worst special teams in football? Yeah, he looked great in the opener against the Jets. He's the best looking garbage can on the curb on trash night.

This team needs a special teams retooling. They drafted heavily in favor of special teams this season, Reese and Sidney were both good special teams players for their former clubs.

The Natrix
06-01-2003, 11:39 AM
points taken. We will see........

Dozerdog
06-01-2003, 11:42 AM
:up: I can't wait!!!!!!!!:D

Jan Reimers
06-01-2003, 11:48 AM
Keep Morris and Irons,and Simonton if he has a great camp. Go with 6 LBs, particularly if one of the rooks is not a STs ace-- Haggans to the practice squad?

WG
06-01-2003, 11:49 AM
What's so hot about Travis Brown? Personally, I think if a vet QB is out there at a decent price the Bills might consider it over doughboy, who's making a million per.

Oh, OK. I'll cut all the draft picks then. McGahee, Kelsay, what did they prove yet? :rolleyes:

See the irony!? ;)

As if Brown's been tested in a real game. If you want to consider that 3/4 of a game he played v. Miami w/ no team around him and no OL, then fine, but at least then say he played well given the circumstances.

I know I like the guy based on that, but you seem to hate him and he's not done anything to show that he can't play in this league, yet, you'd rather keep an undrafted rookie who really didn't do squat in college.

:scratch:

The Natrix
06-01-2003, 11:55 AM
exactly wys!

I would be very uncomfortable having two backups that have never seen a real game snap in Buffalos system

The Natrix
06-01-2003, 11:57 AM
3/4 of a game where he looked pretty good - at least it is some experience.

Johnson and some other "cheap FA QB?" No thanks. There is nobody out there anyway.

Dozerdog
06-01-2003, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by Wys Guy

See the irony!? ;)

As if Brown's been tested in a real game. If you want to consider that 3/4 of a game he played v. Miami w/ no team around him and no OL, then fine, but at least then say he played well given the circumstances.

I know I like the guy based on that, but you seem to hate him and he's not done anything to show that he can't play in this league, yet, you'd rather keep an undrafted rookie who really didn't do squat in college.

:scratch:

I want to stop the hemorrhaging on special teams.

And what has Travis done? Couldn't stick to a QB poor Seattle team, and only got garbage time as the Bill's last alternative at the end of 2001. If you can't even beat out AVP for the #2, what good are ya? If they thought this kid was any good to develop, why not send him to NFLE?

The Natrix
06-01-2003, 12:04 PM

If you can't even beat out AVP for the #2

What the hell is wrong with AVP? At the end of the 3-13 season there was talk of him being a stop gap for a year, while a rookie was groomed.

Dozerdog
06-01-2003, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by The Natrix

Johnson and some other "cheap FA QB?" No thanks. There is nobody out there anyway.

You don't think a Shaun King or a Charlie Batch would make a decent back up? I don't want them as a starter- god no- but I would be confident in their abilities in a pinch.

Dozerdog
06-01-2003, 12:08 PM

What the hell is wrong with AVP? At the end of the 3-13 season there was talk of him being a stop gap for a year, while a rookie was groomed.

In the WCO we had, he did OK- quick dinks and dunks. But I'm not comfortable in him for an offense- like last yerar's-team that continually had to put up points to stay ahead or catch up.

Maybe I'm over reacting a bit and with improved D and more emphasis on the run he might be OK. But I think he's to expensive for what he brings to the table.

The Natrix
06-01-2003, 12:09 PM
I like King better than Batch but I don't think either is much of an upgrade, especially when you factor in AVP's experience, and to an extent, Brown's.

I would rather see the $$ spent on a safety, WR, OL Depth or a combination of two or all three

WG
06-01-2003, 12:11 PM
========================
QB- Bledsoe, AVP, Brown*
(* If Bledsoe goes down early in the year, I would make a big wager that Brown replaces AVP w/in 3 games)

RB- Henry, Gary, Burns
FB- Crosby, Gash

TE- Moore, Campbell, McDonnell

WR- Moulds, Reed, Shaw, Aiken, C Coleman

OL - Williams, Brown, Teague, Sullivan, Jennings, Price, Conaty*, Pucillo, Sobieski (As well, assuming Conaty resigns for the minimum)

=========================

DE- Schobel, Mckenzie, M Jones, Kelsay, Irons, Denney

DT- P Williams, Adams, Bannan, Edwards, Sape

LB- Spikes, Fletcher, Posey, Spoon, Crowell, Haggan

CB- Clements, Winfield, Thomas, Sidney, McGee

S- Wire, Prioleau, Reese, Driver
==========================

K- Lindell
P- Moorman

PUP- McGahee

BTW, what am I missing here...??
http://www.buffalobills.com/team/playerpage.cfm?player_id=33466

The Natrix
06-01-2003, 12:13 PM

In the WCO we had, he did OK- quick dinks and dunks. But I'm not comfortable in him for an offense- like last yerar's-team that continually had to put up points to stay ahead or catch up.

Maybe I'm over reacting a bit and with improved D and more emphasis on the run he might be OK. But I think he's to expensive for what he brings to the table.

this years passing game will be friendlier to AVP. I see much more short crossing Routes ran by Moulds and Reed. Passes that AVP is very capable of completing.

WG
06-01-2003, 12:13 PM
exactly wys!

I would be very uncomfortable having two backups that have never seen a real game snap in Buffalos system

I'd be perfectly comfortable and content if we simply cut AVP outright!

Believe me, I wouldn't lose a minute of sleep over it. :)

The Natrix
06-01-2003, 12:15 PM
Wys, Burns? Did I miss something? Why is Morris so expendable?

WG
06-01-2003, 12:16 PM

I want to stop the hemorrhaging on special teams.

And what has Travis done? Couldn't stick to a QB poor Seattle team, and only got garbage time as the Bill's last alternative at the end of 2001. If you can't even beat out AVP for the #2, what good are ya? If they thought this kid was any good to develop, why not send him to NFLE?

IDK, how many opportunities has he been given to "show his wares?" I haven't really seen any! So in fairness to him,...

Besides, how does cutting Brown and keeping Johnson make a bit of difference on STs?

He did look pretty good. I'd like to see him w/ the starters in the first couple of PS games. Drew has enough experience and doesn't need the reps. Let's use the time to test Brown w/ the first unit. At least in two games.

Bert102176
06-01-2003, 12:22 PM
I think McGahee is gonna play this year

WG
06-01-2003, 12:22 PM
Wys, Burns? Did I miss something? Why is Morris so expendable?

What has he done in 4 seasons?

Even when he started, he did nothing. His YPC is horrid. I just think this is the season we cut him, that's all. I made my picks based on what I thought would happen, not by what I would like to happen.

What I would like is for AVP to get cut, put Brown at #2, and find another third.

Burns hasn't really proven anything either, but RBs like Morris are a dime a dozen. He's about a ~3.6 YPC rusher who catches the ball fairly well. Crosby does that just fine, and we really don't need receiving FBs if we are truly going to a new system of running the ball more. Morris IMO is a tweener between RB and FB. But he simply doesn't have the speed to be a F/T rusher. Burns appears to be better, but we'll only know once he gets some reps. Either way, we wouldn't be making a drastic mistake to cut Morris. I just can't see us cutting Burns for Morris.

WG
06-01-2003, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by Bert102176
I think McGahee is gonna play this year

I think you're probably right Bert. I think we'll see him get a handful of carries late in the season although barring injuries to Henry and Gary, I don't think we'll see him come in as the starter this season. I expect him to have fewer than 10 carries in any game that he plays in.

As well, that will depend upon our status as a team regarding the PO hunt. If we need to win 3 of our last 4 games v. Jets, Pats, Fins, and Titans, I don't think we'll be seeing much of McGahee unless we start to blow those teams out providing that Henry is running well.

Dozerdog
Trust me, we aren't keeping Crosby for his YPC. If Morris could block- they would move him to FB

The Natrix
I don't like Morris as runner, but a special teamer.

on a lazy special teams squad, I always noticed Morris playing hard and making plays.

WG
06-01-2003, 12:38 PM
I agree Dozer!

I don't like Morris as runner, but a special teamer.

on a lazy special teams squad, I always noticed Morris playing hard and making plays.

We have grabbed enough players who play STs. Morris wasn't exactly a STs standout. Besides, I think that's where Crowell will be playing this year and we have some other return/coverage guys that we signed. TD quietly signed a whole bunch of players who have STs experience and who can help at their respective positions. I think the greatest turnover by a long shot that we're gonna see this season will be on the kick and coverage units. That's part of the reason why I think Morris won't be here.

John Doe
06-01-2003, 05:00 PM
Six defensive ends is a streach, considering that Posey can fill the spot of pass rush end in a pinch. I doubt if we carry more than 4 pure safties considering that the rookie McGee can play there if needed. I doubt if Conaty comes back - Pucillo and Sobieski can back up at center. I don't see any way that Rodney Wrigt makes the team (no special teams ability).