PDA

View Full Version : Looking at mocks, Im seeing 3 QB's going before us

X-Era
12-03-2009, 06:15 PM
I cant see that. Many are saying Locker, Clausen, and Bradford all go before the 6-8 pick that we are likely to have.

If that were to happen, it would be based on teams coveting a top QB over any other position. Cleveland, St Louis, and Washington are the teams usually discussed.

If it happens, you can kiss any hopes of a QB at our 1st round pick goodbye... There are only 3 that look to be worthy of our likely top half 1st round pick. There would obviously still be a chance to trade down into late round 1, or trade back into late round 1 for someone like Colt McCoy, or whomever we still have as having a 1st round grade.

Personally, I think its highly unlikely that any more than 1 QB, if that, is taken before our pick, if we pick around 8. I think we will be able to get at least the 2nd best QB, but at worst the 3rd.

This all assumes we go QB in the 1st which is a sure thing either... but its food for discussion.

tampabay25690
12-03-2009, 06:17 PM
Those 3 will probably be gone before 8 yes Sir.

X-Era
12-03-2009, 06:21 PM

I dont see it.

Bradford has durability concerns, and both Clausen and Locker have plenty of consistency issues that may have teams at 1 and/or 2 shying away from them that high.

Dicknoze69
12-03-2009, 06:23 PM
I'm fine with this happening because I don't feel like any of those three QBs are certified Grade A blue chippers. They all have a good amount of risk attached to them as prospects.

tampabay25690
12-03-2009, 06:45 PM
I'm fine with this happening because I don't feel like any of those three QBs are certified Grade A blue chippers. They all have a good amount of risk attached to them as prospects.

I agree with you.....
I would rather take the chance on a guy like Tebow then.

tampabay25690
12-03-2009, 06:47 PM
I dont see it.

Bradford has durability concerns, and both Clausen and Locker have plenty of consistency issues that may have teams at 1 and/or 2 shying away from them that high.

Hey I know that as well.
If I were picking top few I would draft guys like Okung, SUH, and Berry...
I still think Locker is the 1st QB drafted

X-Era
12-03-2009, 07:04 PM
Hey I know that as well.
If I were picking top few I would draft guys like Okung, SUH, and Berry...
I still think Locker is the 1st QB drafted
Locker is the wild card to me.

Bradford will probably be fine when hes ready to throw, and I think he starts throwing well before the draft. If he can workout at all before the draft, and looks like he did before the injury, I think he becomes the #1 QB taken although I still don't think it will be #1 overall.

Clausen's camp could argue he did more in his final college year than Lokcer with many close wins and games that were close. He isn't as physically gifted as Locker, but Brady had one of the worst combine results ever. I could see teams taking Clausen over Locker because he has shown more when it comes to putting his team in a position to win.

And then we get to Locker, who has all the tools in the world, has shown flashes of brilliance, but also made very bad decisions at times. If he goes #1, its because a team drafts him mostly on his potential, not what hes already shown. But, I could easily see him dropping to the 2nd or even 3rd QB taken.

Each has concerns, and IMO, enough concerns to keep them all out of the top 5, and at least 2 available at our 6-8 pick. Where should they be taken, and where are they taken? That can be very different as is the case in almost every draft at some point.

DraftBoy
12-03-2009, 07:21 PM
That would be a good thing imo. If those three go in the top 9, that means a DT, or OT likely falls to us.

Ingtar33
12-04-2009, 02:51 PM

you're right. 3 QBs will probably be gone before we draft. (if we draft at 8)

PECKERWOOD
12-04-2009, 03:06 PM
Perfect, because that leaves us with the #1 overall prospect in the draft: Ryan Mallet, QB, Arkansas.

Comparisons: Think of Cutler but more ball security, think of Flacco in terms of athletic ability and arm strength, think of Drew Bledsoe in terms of touch on deep balls.

Ryan Mallet is the best player in the draft if he declares, which from all reports, I'm hearing that Mallett WILL declare..

This is how my rankings go for QB: 1.) Mallett 2.) Clausen 3.) Locker 4.) Tebow 5.) Bradford.

tampabay25690
12-04-2009, 03:14 PM
Perfect, because that leaves us with the #1 overall prospect in the draft: Ryan Mallet, QB, Arkansas.

Comparisons: Think of Cutler but more ball security, think of Flacco in terms of athletic ability and arm strength, think of Drew Bledsoe in terms of touch on deep balls.

Ryan Mallet is the best player in the draft if he declares, which from all reports, I'm hearing that Mallett WILL declare..

This is how my rankings go for QB: 1.) Mallett 2.) Clausen 3.) Locker 4.) Tebow 5.) Bradford.

Wow.
You really have a hard on for Mallett don't you???
Its ok because he is a good QB not Great yet.
He has to learn and mature a little more.
I think it will be a huge MISTAKE if he comes out early.........
I dont know how many times you have seen him play but I have seen him plenty....Good player just not ready...

PECKERWOOD
12-04-2009, 03:16 PM
Wow.
You really have a hard on for Mallett don't you???
Its ok because he is a good QB not Great yet.
He has to learn and mature a little more.
I think it will be a huge MISTAKE if he comes out early.........
I dont know how many times you have seen him play but I have seen him plenty....Good player just not ready...

He plays on less talented teams than arguably all of the QBs coming out, maybe minus Locker. Not to mention, how often do you honestly see prospects like Mallett come around? Talent wise, Mallett has the most potential and the highest ceiling of any prospect this year.

Beastie Bills
12-04-2009, 03:21 PM
I can't see 3 of the top 7 teams taking a QB...

1 - Tampa - No, just drafted Freeman
2 - St. Louis - Yes, almost definitely
3 - Cleveland - No
4 - Detroit - No way
5 - Washington - Probably yes
6 - Oakland - No, Davis won't give up on Russell yet
7 - KC - No way

8 - Buffalo

After us, I don't see many teams who need a QB....

9 - Seattle - Maybe
11 - Carolina - Maybe, but they just gave Delhomme an extension
13 - San Fran - I think they're finally set with Smith
19 - Jacksonville - Maybe
25 - Denver - I think McDaniels drafts a QB and lets Orton walk

Ingtar33
12-04-2009, 03:41 PM

3 - Cleveland - No
4 - Detroit - No way
7 - KC - No way

um... Oakland has given up on Russell. Cleveland is in the market for a QB (among other things).

I'd say of the top 7, St.Louis, Washington are locks for a QB, with Cleveland and Oakland leaning that way (strongly).

As for teams after us, Seattle/Caralina is so in the market for a QB, that they will be looking to trade up to get past us and a few other teams. In fact watch for teams to trade up past us to get a QB, there are a lot of teams dying from bad QB play this year.

Ebenezer
12-04-2009, 03:52 PM
early predictions - four QBs go in the top ten...five in the first round...and Tebow is a marginal pro at best.

Ingtar33
12-04-2009, 04:07 PM
oops. Carolina doesn't have a 1st round pick this year (SF has it). lol my bad.

kernowboy
12-04-2009, 04:10 PM

3 - Cleveland - No
4 - Detroit - No way
7 - KC - No way

8 - Buffalo

After us, I don't see many teams who need a QB....

9 - Seattle - Maybe
11 - Carolina - Maybe, but they just gave Delhomme an extension
13 - San Fran - I think they're finally set with Smith
19 - Jacksonville - Maybe
25 - Denver - I think McDaniels drafts a QB and lets Orton walk

Denver has Chicago's pick and traded theirs to Seattle so I think Denver will be picking around 12, whilst Seattle have two 1st rounders to maybe trade up with