PDA

View Full Version : QB

k-oneputt
12-03-2009, 09:50 PM
Has everyone fiqured it out now that qb is the #1 position we need to fill. With left tackle a close second.

No, not a wr .

TacklingDummy
12-03-2009, 10:16 PM
Has everyone fiqured it out now that qb is the #1 position we need to fill. With left tackle a close second.

It's been the #1 position to fill for the past 10 years.

justasportsfan
12-03-2009, 10:17 PM
It's been the #1 position to fill for the past 10 years.
coaching :snicker:

Nighthawk
12-03-2009, 10:17 PM
True...a top flight QB is definitely the top need.

BillsWin
12-03-2009, 10:18 PM
The one thing that the Bills have consistently lacked for the past decade has been a competent QB.

We do need a good offensive line, but without a franchise QB, this team is going to go another decade without the playoffs.

I think the Bills need to make a big play for McNeil in free agency to anchor the left tackle position and move up to draft "their guy".

Whatever that takes.

tampabay25690
12-03-2009, 10:18 PM
Yea its real obvious that we have some good players that are 2nd stringers.
This team has a TON of bright spots but way to many guys that don't deserve to be starters in this league...

QB is 1st priority and work around that...

BuffaloBlitz83
12-03-2009, 10:20 PM
Bro, I'd even take Tebow, Pike, Locker, Clausen, Bradgford, Hiller, Anyone! Over these scrubs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BillsWin
12-03-2009, 10:27 PM
Bradford is obviously my first choice. But there is reason to believe that drafting a LT high, then a Pike, Tebow, Snead, Hiller or one of the good juniors coming out, in the second or third may work too.

At this point, I really think we need to move up to get one of the top two guys. Throw some players and picks at teams like the Browns and Redskins and hope something works out.

Nighthawk
12-03-2009, 10:43 PM
Bradford is obviously my first choice. But there is reason to believe that drafting a LT high, then a Pike, Tebow, Snead, Hiller or one of the good juniors coming out, in the second or third may work too.

At this point, I really think we need to move up to get one of the top two guys. Throw some players and picks at teams like the Browns and Redskins and hope something works out.

Whoever it plays out to be, this team needs to get one of the top 2 guys in the draft and build around them. Every year I read how the draft class isn't strong, but every year there always seems to be some very talented players who come out of it.

BillsWin
12-03-2009, 10:44 PM
Whoever it plays out to be, this team needs to get one of the top 2 guys in the draft and build around them. Every year I read how the draft class isn't strong, but every year there always seems to be some very talented players who come out of it.

Good posting.

TacklingDummy
12-03-2009, 10:45 PM
coaching :snicker:
Good coaching comes with good QB's, see Marv Levy, Bill Belichick, Bill Walsh, Don Shula, Jim Caldwell, Sean Payton, Mike Holgrem, Dan Reeves, Jimmy Johnson, Tom Landry, Chuck Knoll, Bill Cowher, etc...

Nighthawk
12-03-2009, 10:47 PM
Good coaching comes with good QB's, see Marv Levy, Bill Belichick, Bill Walsh, Don Shula, Jim Caldwell, Sean Payton, Mike Holgrem, Dan Reeves, Jimmy Johnson, Tom Landry, Chuck Knoll, Bill Cowher, etc...

Good coaching is also a must with a young QB...a bad coach will kill the QB for his career.

See Dickey Jauron...Trent Edwards....JP Losman...the list goes on and on.

DrGraves
12-03-2009, 10:48 PM
Tebow and a somewhat healthy line next year... its going to be awesome

Ingtar33
12-03-2009, 10:49 PM
Bill Cowher had zero QBs for most of his career. unless you want to claim Kordell Stewart or Neil O'Donnell or Tommy Maddox were any good.

BillsWin
12-03-2009, 10:50 PM
Bill Cowher + Sam Bradford + Marcus McNeil

justasportsfan
12-03-2009, 10:50 PM
Hostetler beat Kelly and Levy. Same with Rypien. Was Dilfer better than everyone he beat on his way to a sb? A HC can put 1+1 together. Without a great HC an all pro team isn't going to do anything. The redskins proved that.BB won a sb with a 1st time qb starter and Antwan Smith at rb.

Cassel went 11-5 and he didn't even play in college. A coach and plan a way for him to succeed

For every example you throw out there I can give one as well which is why its 50/50 coach and talent.

TacklingDummy
12-03-2009, 10:55 PM
Hostetler beat Kelly and Levy. Same with Rypien. Was Dilfer better than everyone he beat on his way to a sb? A HC can put 1+1 together. Without a great HC an all pro team isn't going to do anything. The redskins proved that.BB won a sb with a 1st time qb starter and Antwan Smith at rb.

I'm not into 1 year wonders. Teams that have been successful for a period of time usually have a great QB. See Buffalo, Denver, Miami, Dallas, Green Bay, 49ers, Colts, Patriots, Vikings, etc...

Now go and look at teams that have not been successful and see who their QB's were, AVP, JP Losman, Joey Harrington, Aklili Smith, Ryan Leaf, David Klinger, Tim Couch, Heath Shuler, Andre Ware, Jeff George, Todd Marionvich, Rick Mirer, etc...

justasportsfan
12-03-2009, 10:59 PM
I'm not into 1 year wonders. Teams that have been successful for a period of time usually have a great QB. See Buffalo, Denver, Miami, Dallas, Green Bay, 49ers, Colts, Vikings, etc...one year wonders? who do you think developed Brady?
They also had great coaches.

Mr. Pink
12-03-2009, 11:22 PM
or Offensive line or defensive line or linebackers or secondary or coaches or management or owner.

Bravo82
12-03-2009, 11:36 PM
You guys are out of your mind! Our #1 draft priority has to be to address our depth at defensive back! Quick....lets find ourselves a project DB to take with the #10 overall pick!

Block "O"
12-04-2009, 03:39 AM
Draft Tim Teb-ho :mad: we already screwed up last year by not taking LT Michael Oarer :mad:

NorthCarBills
12-04-2009, 07:02 AM

Agree....I'm so freakin tired of watching our scrub QBs -- this franchise needs an identity and usually that starts at the QB position. I totally realize improving the lines and our LB corp is absolutely essential, but for God sakes we need a QB to build around once and for all.

yordad
12-04-2009, 07:08 AM
Bill Cowher + Sam Bradford + Marcus McNeil:drool: I would buy season's.

yordad
12-04-2009, 07:10 AM
You guys are out of your mind! Our #1 draft priority has to be to address our depth at defensive back! Quick....lets find ourselves a project DB to take with the #10 overall pick!Or take a DB and convert him to QB!

Beastie Bills
12-04-2009, 08:04 AM
Actually, I disagree.

Unfortunately, you have to address the line first. If you don't do that, you get what we've gotten for the last 10 years.

Our needs are:

1 - LT
2 - RT
3 - C
4 - OLB
5 - DE
6 - OLB (again)
7 - DT
8 - WR (assuming that T.O. doesn't by some miracle re-sign next year)

Address as much of that as you can next year. Sign a free agent QB (best available looks like David Carr, maybe Orton if Denver doesn't keep him) to compete with Brohm and Fitz.

Unless one of them blows us away, draft a QB #1 in 2011.

Sorry, but we need a full-on re-build, and that has to start with the OLine. You can't throw a rookie QB behind a bad line and expect them to not be a bust (see JP Losman/Trent Edwards).

SABURZFAN
12-04-2009, 08:05 AM

No, not a wr .

some people will argue to take BPA.

k-oneputt
12-04-2009, 08:42 AM
some people will argue to take BPA.

Well if BPA happens to be a wr we still can't take him. Taking a wr would be beyond stupid.

HHURRICANE
12-04-2009, 08:44 AM
We need an o-line. End of story. Doesn't matter who the QB is until this gets fixed.

You have two great running backs on this team. Put Lynch and Jackson on a team with a good o-line and it's lights out.

The o-line is a joke.

Beastie Bills
12-04-2009, 08:50 AM
We need an o-line. End of story. Doesn't matter who the QB is until this gets fixed.

You have two great running backs on this team. Put Lynch and Jackson on a team with a good o-line and it's lights out.

The o-line is a joke.

Yep.

Imagine if we had a good OLine and a good running game. It would make the transition much easier for a rookie QB (see Ryan, Matt).

You're right, we have two great RB's, but nobody to open holes for them. If, by some miracle, our RB's can get past the line untouched, they are dangerous in the open field (especially Lynch, as we saw last night). Our run-blocking is a freaking joke.

justasportsfan
12-04-2009, 09:36 AM
The jets gameplan was easy. Double Lee and let Revis play TO 1 on 1. While I would take my chances with TO it was too obvious that Fitz would be forcing it to him. We had no one up the middle because the OL was horrible and we were forced to go into maximum protect.

casdhf
12-04-2009, 09:54 AM
I agree with HH. :ill:

We need a top LT. I have seen enough flashes from Butler, Merrideth and Bell to feel comfortable letting them fight it out for the RT spot. If one of the top LT prospects is still around at our pick, I think it's a no brainer.

ROOK, Levitre, Hangartner, Wood, But/Mer/Bell

I think we'll be in good shape in the short and long term.

Add a young QB that can hand off to Fred and Beast and I think we have an offense that can score some points.

SABURZFAN
12-04-2009, 11:08 AM
Well if BPA happens to be a wr we still can't take him. Taking a wr would be beyond stupid.

i agree.

trapezeus
12-04-2009, 11:19 AM
this team doesn't have one position to fix to make it all better.

They need a gelled line. Putting anyone back there that you want to succeed is going to fail. Fitz is the perfect guy to be back there. he'll take the beating, and fans won't mind when the experiment is over. If you put brohm back there and or a first round QB and ruin his development, we'll be put back another 3 years.

This team needs a real line, and fitz is the perfect experiment to take the beating while a new LT and the crew come together. AS millen said, 8 different combos and only 1 (the first one) worked with any effectiveness.

Aside from that, the team still doesn't have the coaching chops to take the mid pack players and make them better.

The defense can't rush the passer and can't stop the run...that means there are a lot of changes on the DL and the LBs.

We need to cut the ST only people. we need to have more people like fred jackson who have a role on the offense and can contribute a few plays to ST. Not the other way around.

DraftBoy
12-04-2009, 11:26 AM
You win in the trenches, before you win with a QB.

That being said you still draft BPA regardless.

SABURZFAN
12-04-2009, 11:30 AM
You win in the trenches, before you win with a QB.

That being said you still draft BPA regardless.

i agree.

i guess the Bills shouldn't have drafted Maybin? he doesn't look like the 11th best player in last years draft.

DraftBoy
12-04-2009, 11:45 AM
i agree.

i guess the Bills shouldn't have drafted Maybin? he doesn't look like the 11th best player in last years draft.

He wasn't they went need, not BPA.

I ahd Orakpo, Jenkins, Moreno, Maclin and Ayers all higher ranked.

kernowboy
12-04-2009, 11:46 AM
Christian Ponder might be an interesting pick - he might come out and is apparently submitting the necessary forms.

He has the mechanics and accuracy - some say he doesn't have the arm strength, but I've seen him a throw 40yds pass of his back foot under pressure which seems decent enough arm strength to me - arm strength is worthless if you cannot hit your receiver

Tebow = no mechanics, no knowledge of a pro-passing game - he'll be starting by 2015 if we draft him this year.

DraftBoy
12-04-2009, 11:48 AM
Christian Ponder might be an interesting pick - he might come out and is apparently submitting the necessary forms.

He has the mechanics and accuracy - some say he doesn't have the arm strength, but I've seen him a throw 40yds pass of his back foot under pressure which seems decent enough arm strength to me - arm strength is worthless if you cannot hit your receiver

Tebow = no mechanics, no knowledge of a pro-passing game - he'll be starting by 2015 if we draft him this year.

Reports Ive read say that he is trying to get a feel for where he is heading into next season. He has no intent to declare early. Now granted if he got a great review then he could leave, but Id say its a 95% shot he's staying at this point.

kernowboy
12-04-2009, 11:52 AM
If think if he had a feel he might be a 2nd rounder he might just go for it, because he had an injury this season and knows the risk of returning

SABURZFAN
12-04-2009, 11:53 AM
He wasn't they went need, not BPA.

i think they went with the wrong need though.

DraftBoy
12-04-2009, 11:54 AM
If think if he had a feel he might be a 2nd rounder he might just go for it, because he had an injury this season and knows the risk of returning

Could definitely happen, I dont have him in the 2nd Round, and he's not in my top 5 Junior QB's, I have him 6th, but he's moved up a lot since the season began.

Right now Id peg him as a 4th-5th Round QB, but that's because of his injury. I had him in the 3rd. With another good year, Id say 1st-2nd is possible.