PDA

View Full Version : Start Brohm

yordad
12-04-2009, 07:25 AM
What could it hurt?

Bravo82
12-04-2009, 07:38 AM
I agree. We need to at least give him a chance. We already know what Fitz and Trent can do. It only makes sense.

Forward_Lateral
12-04-2009, 07:39 AM
I hope they don't make his first start vs NE.

Beastie Bills
12-04-2009, 07:56 AM
I agree.

I really like Fitz, but he's hit his ceiling as a QB. He just isn't physically talented enough.

The season is over. No reason not to see what Brohm has, seeing as how he had so much potential coming out of college.

yordad
12-04-2009, 08:13 AM
Brohm seriously has as much potential as any of the QBs coming out in the draft, he deserves a thorough assessment prior to season's end.

Night Train
12-04-2009, 08:18 AM
KC would be an ideal spot to start him.

He needs experience and see if he's someone you want on your 2010 roster.

I just hope he's good at ducking. This line will get anyone killed.

Jan Reimers
12-04-2009, 08:24 AM
If Brohm doesn't know our offense - which he probably doesn't, based on his being here only a short time - starting him could be a disaster, both on the field and in terms of his confidence.

Not to mention that many posters, the ones who make snap judgments and expect immediate success, will throw him under the bus if he performs poorly.

He should NEVER take the field until he has a firm grasp of the offense.

shelby
12-04-2009, 08:27 AM
i think it's worth a shot. We have nothing to lose. Though i respect Jan's observation.

Beastie Bills
12-04-2009, 08:27 AM
If Brohm doesn't know our offense - which he probably doesn't, based on his being here only a short time - starting him could be a disaster, both on the field and in terms of his confidence.

Not to mention that many posters, the ones who make snap judgments and expect immediate success, will throw him under the bus if he performs poorly.

Normally I'd agree with this post 100%, but in this case, I don't even think our coaches have a firm grasp of the so-called "offense".

trapezeus
12-04-2009, 08:38 AM
The bills won't throw brohm out there. by him not seeing the field, he becomes next year's savior.

Fitz played the way fitz plays. sporadically. he'll probably play well against the chiefs, poorly against the patriots, falcons and colts. That is who he is.

If brohm comes out and looks worse than Fitz and edwards, guess which position needs to be fortified in the draft early? and then guess which position we pass on yet again for the millionth time, and guess which new expensive quarterback doesn't meet expectations and works his way closer to the UFL? Exactly.

Brohm needs time and new coaches and new talent. Putting him in now will just yield you the holcomb through fitz results. We made it this far. What's another 4 games?

madness
12-04-2009, 08:49 AM

Yep, they've already said we won't see Brohm this year for that same reason. Besides, Fitz isn't the problem right now. Our OL is horrible.

Jan Reimers
12-04-2009, 08:52 AM
i think it's worth a shot. We have nothing to lose. Though i respect Jan's observation.
I think we do have something to lose. Not necessarily on the field, but in terms of Brohm's physical and mental well-being. I would never put a guy with virtually no NFL experience into a game without his knowing our offense, especially the way our O-line is playing at the moment.

He's not a throw away, cannon fodder kind of guy, but a potential large part of this team. Why put him in if he's not ready?

Having said that, and given the fact that our coaching staff has a pentient for ruining every QB that comes into the program, they'll probably throw him in soon.

HHURRICANE
12-04-2009, 08:54 AM
If Edwards doesn't know our offense - which he probably doesn't, based on his being here only a short time - starting him could be a disaster, both on the field and in terms of his confidence.

Yep.

djjimkelly
12-04-2009, 09:12 AM

however i have to be funny our offense involves no motion not many formations and so on.

i can't imagine he wouldnt have a decent grasp after 3-4 weeks now

The Juice Is Loose
12-04-2009, 09:15 AM
I'm not going to throw him out there not knowing the playbook.

Coach Fewell, our current head coach, said there was no way coming to a team this late in the season he can learn our pop warner playbook.

I say, let him keep his skills sharp on the PS, and let our next OC get their hands on him. Fitz is here next year, Brohm is here next year, Trent can go sit on Indy's bench for all I care.

They compete next year.

No point shattering this guys confidence and giving him the Losman/Edwards shell shock. At least Fitz has the balls to stay back there when he knows he's gonna get murdered.

yordad
12-04-2009, 09:16 AM
Dude probably knows it as well as anyone. He has made pro style offense changes in the past. He likely ran a more complicated offense as a junior, and a different more complicated offense as a senior. Oh, and a much more complicated offense in Green Bay. He was quoted as saying changing offense wasn't hard, he just had to learn new terminology.

yordad
12-04-2009, 09:18 AM
I say, let him keep his skills sharp on the PS, and let our next OC get their hands on him. Fitz is here next year, Brohm is here next year, Trent can go sit on Indy's bench for all I care.
They simply cannot put Brohm on the Practice squad.

The Juice Is Loose
12-04-2009, 09:30 AM
They simply cannot put Brohm on the Practice squad.

I meant scout team, like he's been doing.

The Juice Is Loose
12-04-2009, 09:30 AM
my point is what's the point in making the guy learn an offense that isn't gonna be here in 4 weeks?

learn this so you can forget it in a month.

that would be bills-like.

casdhf
12-04-2009, 10:00 AM
You're like the 12043th person to say it. WTF have you been?

yordad
12-04-2009, 10:03 AM
You're like the 12043th person to say it. WTF have you been?I didn't see a post game thread on it. :idunno:

Plus, most people until now have been saying "give him more time on the pine, Fitz is doing alright".

THE END OF ALL DAYS
12-04-2009, 10:21 AM
If I were Brohm, Id be begging NOT to play behind this line.

Beebe's Kid
12-04-2009, 10:24 AM
This is the quintessential catch 22.

Do we RUIN ANOTHER QB? That is what happened to the last two (you could argue 3, but RJ can go crap in his hat, I won't.) JP and Edwards were two QBs with potential...JP is physically gifted, Edwards not so much, but definitely gifted enough. They had no confidence, and both ended in a total mental cluster *******. Why? Because they were both stupid, and didn't unerstand football.

ERRR, as Trebek would say....Ooooohhhhhh, so sorry.

We completely bail on QBs. We do no develop them at all. Our offense is constantly looking to patch a hole in the boat. There has been NO system. Period. JP was put in situations that he couldn't get out of, then he made a few mistakes, and instead of owning it, the "coaching" (I USE THAT VERY LOOSELY) staff would just pile on and not tell him what he should of done...why? I am going with they didn't know.

I keep hearing about the lack of talent, and on and on.... Do you really think that these players wouldn't thrive in another environment? We are ridiculously predictable, and it leaves QBs getting concussions, and shell shocked.

You put a young ___________ fill in the blank...Whoever, maybe Peyton would be an exception, but that is saying he doesn't get 5 concussions due to his blind side tackle being the absolute weakest position in the entire NFL. We kill QBs mentally, and their support group of 73,000 of their closest friends are very impatient (justifiably so.)

Look back at the chance we gave JP. Two games after a 19 TD 3,000+ season, he gets hurt, fills in with a 300+ game 3 TDs, then loses the job. Wow...what would you have done for a 3,000 yard passer this year? I am not, I repeat not, a JP fanboy. I was one of the impatient ones, but if we had a coach that was "crazy" and spoke to players on the sidelines, and helped a QB adapt, instead of waiting for it to happen automatically, we may not have to have threads divided over this guy v. that guy....and so it goes.

Beebe's Kid
12-04-2009, 10:27 AM
I stopped short of saying what I really wanted to, as trying to keep length manageable...

To play Brohm is to take the first step in destroying him. I hate that we are going to have to assess the position without knowing what we have, but there is not an athlete in the world that deserves to take their first snaps in the league in the CF known as our offense.

yordad
12-04-2009, 10:35 AM
I say toss Brohm out there. If he gets shell shocked at stops fighting like Edwards, then he wasn't our guy anyways. If he takes the experience and learns from it, and gives us the chance to assess some of his skills, then we may be in business. The business of upgrading the tackles.

Ingtar33
12-04-2009, 02:44 PM
lets lay it out like this.

1) Fitzpatrick's Worse Game in 2009
Attempts 23, Completions 9 for 39.1%, yards 98, 0TDs, 1INT 34.3 QBR

2) Edwards Worse Game in 2009
Attempts 26, Completions 14 for 53.8%, yards 192, 1TDs, 3INT 51.0 QBR

Both of those games are Jamarcus Russel bad. I think it highly likely a practice squad player who just joined the team 3 weeks ago will be able to match that. It would be VERY hard to be worse.

Start Brohm see what we have.

btw: the Brohm i remember in college was a pure gunslinger. he wasn't the type to get "shell shocked". He was the type that if he threw 3 ints in the first half he'd throw 5 TDs in the 2nd. he'd just get mad and go for the jugular. At least that's who he was in collage.

G Wolly
12-04-2009, 03:09 PM
There's no more post-season hope left.

So start Brohm, see what he's got and if he can handle his own then we don't need to take a QB early in the draft and choose a more important position.

BuffaloBlitz83
12-04-2009, 03:34 PM
START HIM NOWWWWW DAMNIT!

trapezeus
12-04-2009, 03:45 PM
thanks ingtar for the breakdown. that shows you how much trent fell out of favor. his worst wasnt' as bad as Fitz, but it's not that big of a difference. once you drop past the 65 QB rating and near 50% completion accuracy, it's over for you.

I do disagree on playing brohm though. let's just assume that he can play next year. Don't get him messed up with this fruitless year. don't let him get within 500 feet of this diseased bunch of losers. it is highly contagious.

Buddo
12-04-2009, 04:17 PM
While Brohm was a good pickup, I think he definitely needs to be left 'unspoilt'.
There's some talent there, and I don't think it needs to be thrown in with the sharks behind a porous O-Line and otherwise dysfunctional offensive system, that has been cobbled together, from successive leavings, of Fairchild and Schonert.
Fitz, to me, is a decent backup, who will win or die by the sword, but whose inaccuracy, simply doesn't let you think you are going to win regularly with him.
I'd like to see Edwards start again.
There are several reasons for this.
Firstly, he's had a couple of weeks 'off' and away from the stifling influence of Jauron. He has seen what it means to the team's general performance in terms of taking shots downfield. Let's see if he's learned from Fitz's example.
I actually think it's important to do this, if not for the next game, then for the last couple or so. My reasoning is, in part, related to also seeing whether Fewell and Van Pelt, have it in them, to turn around the guy. This will also serve to show whether or not, Fewell could be future HC material, better than what we are seeing for the moment, which is simply for him to try and win as much as possible, to get his hat firmly into the ring. I think he could do that better, by actually getting Edwards back to performing how he did, at the start of last season.
I think it would serve 'the bigger picture' far better than anything else we might be thinking of doing. Let's try and finally resolve a few questions, rather than putting some more out there.
It isn't inconceivable that Brohm could come in and perform adequately, but what does that actually tell us? That we have yet another 'adequate' QB on the roster. Unless we are suddenly starting the next Manning/Brady/Brees, he isn't going to do much behind our current O-Line, than survive and scratch out a result or two.

BertSquirtgum
12-04-2009, 07:11 PM
they should definitely start him and if he sucks that bad put fitz in.

Demon
12-04-2009, 09:29 PM
Brohm is not very mobile and putting him out there would be suicide. We would get no way to see what type of player we have in him and he would still get killed. Let him develop the slow way, practice every day and have an open QB battle in pre-season next year. Next year is another rebuilding year, don't you guys know? He will have plenty of time next year.

kernowboy
12-05-2009, 04:47 AM
We should look at Brohm in real NFL games as if they were pre-season games.

Give him a quarter or a half. If he is doing ok, but its clear the OL will flounder sooner or later, take him out and replace with with Fitz.

Let him know in advance that it will happen so we can give him a genuine work out at NFL game speed

yordad
12-05-2009, 07:07 AM
We should look at Brohm in real NFL games as if they were pre-season games.

Give him a quarter or a half. If he is doing ok, but its clear the OL will flounder sooner or later, take him out and replace with with Fitz.

Let him know in advance that it will happen so we can give him a genuine work out at NFL game speedWell, I've never seen that done in the regular season. It might work. But, I just think that everyone on the team would then be taking a preseason approach. Like Owens only running half speed.

I just think it would be best to say "We think Brohm give us the best shot here" whether they believe it or not, and stick with him.

Don't Panic
12-05-2009, 07:14 AM
I don't think you can compare Brohm to Trent, JP or RJ. The only fair comparison would be to look at how young QBs in general fare when thrown into the mix of a tough situation. The line is bad, and that is cause for concern, but there are opportunities to get him in there and see what he's got without putting him in a "dangerous" situation. None of the teams we have left to play have a dominant defense, so it comes down to when he feels comfortable with the playbook. And after Thursday, I'm sure Fewell asked Van Pelt that question pretty quickly.

I fully expect to see him this year, and it makes sense to. If you had a chance to get a peak of a QB you wanted to draft in an NFL situation BEFORE the draft, even if only for a half or a quarter, of course you'd do it. Well, Brohm is in that position. Kick the tires... see if what we have is good enough to be part of the competition for next year.

BTW - My prediction is the Atlanta game.

TheBrownBear
12-05-2009, 09:36 AM
I'd like to see Fitz for one more game. Fitz was in a tough spot last week against the No. 1 pass defense in the league. I'm curious to see if he can build upon his previous positive showings (Jax and Miami) against KC. This also gives Brohm another week to learn the offense. Regardless of how Fitz performs this next week, I'd like to see Brohm play in the last three games.

jamze132
12-05-2009, 01:43 PM
Maybe he's the white Willie Beamen...