PDA

View Full Version : John Wendling

M
12-04-2009, 09:11 AM
I know he's supposed to be some ace special teamer but everytime I see him, he's always the first one down the field and missing the tackle. I miss Steve Tasker backing teams up to the 2 yard line. :sigh:

yordad
12-04-2009, 09:12 AM
Dude sucks. He makes like one good tackle a month.

Pinkerton Security
12-04-2009, 09:14 AM
For some reason this year he hasnt really made any big plays on special teams, last year it seemed like he would regularly fly down on punts and take the guy down.

The Juice Is Loose
12-04-2009, 09:19 AM
You guys are harsh. I also think sometimes you don't understand football.

Sometimes the strategy isn't to go try to tackle him, it's to absorb the blocker and force the return man into the wave of unblocked coverage guys.

Our coverage has been awesome since the first couple weeks. You guys just want to bash everybody. Wendling is what he is. Its not like anybody ever expected him to be Steve Tasker.

Tasker is the hall of fame because he was a once in a lifetime special teamer. Special teamers don't get considered for the Hall of Fame, but Tasker will...Why? Because he was the best ever.

If your going to compare every special teams star to Tasker, none of them will ever live up to what you want.

trapezeus
12-04-2009, 09:21 AM
if wendling was suppose to absorb the blocker why is he streaking down the field with no blocker on him?

Wendling is a dud. a few weeks ago he actually used his high jumping skills to his advantage, jumped over the line and partially blocked a field goal. Do you know what happened to that blocked field goal? it still went through the uprights. so what the hell is the point.

Jets game he made it down and streaked right past the punt returner.

djjimkelly
12-04-2009, 09:24 AM
considering how deep this roster is at safety mr wendling is a complete waste of a roster spot

Pinkerton Security
12-04-2009, 09:24 AM

Sometimes the strategy isn't to go try to tackle him, it's to absorb the blocker and force the return man into the wave of unblocked coverage guys.

Our coverage has been awesome since the first couple weeks. You guys just want to bash everybody. Wendling is what he is. Its not like anybody ever expected him to be Steve Tasker.

Tasker is the hall of fame because he was a once in a lifetime special teamer. Special teamers don't get considered for the Hall of Fame, but Tasker will...Why? Because he was the best ever.

If your going to compare every special teams star to Tasker, none of them will ever live up to what you want.

you obviously dont understand football because the job of the gunner, which im pretty sure Wendling is, is to run as fast as you can down the field without regard for anything else, and tackle the gundam guy with the ball. He hasnt been doing this, perhaps we should not have him as one of our gunners because even Jenkins makes more plays on ST than Wendling right now.

yordad
12-04-2009, 09:47 AM

If your going to compare every special teams star to Tasker, none of them will ever live up to what you want.I don't understand football because I watch a guy routinely whiff? This isn't advanced calc. When dude whiffs, you blame dude, dude.

A gunners job is to get down there as soon as possible, and tackle the guy before he gets going. His job is not to absorb blockers, it is to shed them as fast as possible.

Edit: OK Pinkdog and trap kinda covered this, lol.

bigbub2352
12-04-2009, 09:54 AM
another waste of a roster spot
when u have depth issues at RB, TE, OLINE, DLINE, LBer
but we are set at WR, and Safety
wat to go!!!

k-oneputt
12-04-2009, 10:04 AM
wr and safety, along with rb, the easiest and last positions a good team needs to fill.
We do everything ass backwards at OBD.