PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk 2010

The Juice Is Loose
12-04-2009, 09:12 AM
Head Coach: Russ Grimm

Free Agency: Let Reed go, sign another (better) vet WR, consider extending TO, sign a solid RT and a solid DT.

Move Wood to center, Hangarter to 2nd string, Butler to guard. Levitre holds down his spot. We keep our guys like Merideth and Bell and Scott to develop on the bench.

We don't need corners. If there is a good rushing outside LB, we get him.

Move Mitchel and Poz to ILB in a 3-4, put Maybin outside rushing the passer.

Draft: Okung in the first and just continue to add linemen. No receivers. No corners. No safeties. We need to add 300lbs per pick to this team. Unless there is a freak full back we can't pass up, or a potentially great rushing OLB. Otherwise, O tackles, D tackles, D ends.

Whitner and Schobel are trade bait.

Beastie Bills
12-04-2009, 09:14 AM
I'm in.

Night Train
12-04-2009, 09:17 AM
Russ Grimm ? Another guy with no HC experience ? 10 years no playoffs and we're still throwing darts at unknowns ?

trapezeus
12-04-2009, 09:18 AM
agree with most but disagree on reshuffling the line. i think wood-hangartner- levitre-butler works. we saw it work for 1.5 games until butler went down. and when he did go down, the middle of the line still held ok. shuffling means mroe growing pains.

They need a LT, i have no idea about college players. Who is Okung? what position does he play? I agree with your draft strategy, bring in the big guys.

I just hope we have new personnel making those decisions.

Beastie Bills
12-04-2009, 09:22 AM
agree with most but disagree on reshuffling the line. i think wood-hangartner- levitre-butler works. we saw it work for 1.5 games until butler went down. and when he did go down, the middle of the line still held ok. shuffling means mroe growing pains.

They need a LT, i have no idea about college players. Who is Okung? what position does he play? I agree with your draft strategy, bring in the big guys.

Our run-blocking was still terrible. We get no push up front, and I really like Wood and Levitre, so Hangartner is the odd man out. No reason not to upgrade. We need to open up some holes for our RB's.

The Juice Is Loose
12-04-2009, 09:24 AM
Russ Grimm ? Another guy with no HC experience ? 10 years no playoffs and we're still throwing darts at unknowns ?

I don't want some head coach just because he's experienced. I can give reasons to NOT hire every one of the "big names"

Cowher didn't have his edge that last year, and he quit. I don't think he even truly wants to coach anymore.

Shanahan won 2 Super bowls with a HOF QB, ten years ago. What's he done since then other than get fired? I don't want to go to the playoffs if we're just gonna get routed by the Colts.

Gruden just got fired as well. He won a SB with Dungy's squad. Done nothing since. He's happy in the booth.

Billick is out of the damn NFL for 2 years now. He was an offensive guru who couldn't pick or develop a QB. Baltimore's offense was always abysmal when he was there. We don't have Ray Lewis.

We're going to hire a coordinator. You can't even really knock it when you look at how Atlanta, Baltimore, Arizona, Minnesota, Miami, Denver and New Orleans have done. None of their coaches were "proven" before they got hired.

And to trapezeus, I just think we need a Center that can be a no doubt starter for 10 years. Center is Wood's natural position. If we had a better option to add at C, I'd go for it, but Hangartner isn't cutting it.

The Juice Is Loose
12-04-2009, 09:25 AM

Okung will be the first tackle taken next year. If we pick 6th we have a chance at him. I don't think he's future HOF material, but he's solid starter material. And picking him at 6 won't be too-too pricey.

Beastie Bills
12-04-2009, 09:30 AM
I've wanted a "big name", superbowl-winning coach, but now I'm not so sure. I just don't know if a Shanahan, Cowher, ect, will have that same fire if they come to Buffalo. They already have their ring, so some of the passion will naturally not be there.

When is the last time a Head Coach has won a superbowl with two different teams? I honestly can't think of one.

The Juice Is Loose
12-04-2009, 09:35 AM
I've wanted a "big name", superbowl-winning coach, but now I'm not so sure. I just don't know if a Shanahan, Cowher, ect, will have that same fire if they come to Buffalo. They already have their ring, so some of the passion will naturally not be there.

When is the last time a Head Coach has won a superbowl with two different teams? I honestly can't think of one.

Dick Vermeil

Beastie Bills
12-04-2009, 09:42 AM
Dick Vermeil
Nope.

That was my first thought, but he never won a superbowl with Phili.

I did some research. It has never happened. Ever.

No coach has ever won a superbowl with two different teams.

shelby
12-04-2009, 09:51 AM
What about QB? It's obvious we need one.

The Juice Is Loose
12-04-2009, 12:07 PM
its obvious that we need a QB, yes, but it's also obvious to me that this isn't the year to do it.

A. taking a qb at 6 will have high holdout risk. he'll want more than #5 because he's a QB.

B. all the qb's in the draft have pretty significant downside. Bradford has a bad throwing arm, Tebow is lefty, bad mechanics, can't read defenses, McCoy is from Texas so his NFL success probability is super low, Jevan Snead just blows, Tony Pike, maybe I could see adding him, but only if its like 3rd or 4th round.

think about it, you waste an early pick on QB, you miss out on adding linemen.

an average QB can manage the game. if you have a good line, you'll have a good running game. if you took our current team, added some solid linemen and a running game, Fitzpatrick would be able to manage the game and minimize mistakes.

then the following year we look into what QB's are available.

i think the biggest problem is that teams decide "Ok, we need our QB, now. No matter what" and then they go out and reach on some guy they aren't convinced can do the job. Then they have to press for 3 years to say hey he is good when he isn't, and then they are fired.

Take the QB you get a chubby over, not the best on available just because you need one.

Lone Stranger
12-04-2009, 12:08 PM
I'm on board.

SABURZFAN
12-04-2009, 12:15 PM
What about QB? It's obvious we need one.

JP Lossman should be available. :couch:

tatersalad
12-04-2009, 12:18 PM
Nope.

That was my first thought, but he never won a superbowl with Phili.

I did some research. It has never happened. Ever.

No coach has ever won a superbowl with two different teams.

What about Don Shula Baltimore and thje dolphins?

T-Long
12-04-2009, 12:21 PM
its obvious that we need a QB, yes, but it's also obvious to me that this isn't the year to do it.

A. taking a qb at 6 will have high holdout risk. he'll want more than #5 because he's a QB.

B. all the qb's in the draft have pretty significant downside. Bradford has a bad throwing arm, Tebow is lefty, bad mechanics, can't read defenses, McCoy is from Texas so his NFL success probability is super low, Jevan Snead just blows, Tony Pike, maybe I could see adding him, but only if its like 3rd or 4th round.

think about it, you waste an early pick on QB, you miss out on adding linemen.

an average QB can manage the game. if you have a good line, you'll have a good running game. if you took our current team, added some solid linemen and a running game, Fitzpatrick would be able to manage the game and minimize mistakes.

then the following year we look into what QB's are available.

i think the biggest problem is that teams decide "Ok, we need our QB, now. No matter what" and then they go out and reach on some guy they aren't convinced can do the job. Then they have to press for 3 years to say hey he is good when he isn't, and then they are fired.

Take the QB you get a chubby over, not the best on available just because you need one.

Don't forget about Jake Locker from Washington

shelby
12-04-2009, 12:51 PM
Thanks for answering my question. Good posting.

dannyek71
12-04-2009, 12:55 PM
I am not ready to give up on Bell. I think he will be ok.

jdbillsfan
12-04-2009, 01:00 PM
Head Coach: Brian Shottenheimer

kernowboy
12-04-2009, 01:12 PM
OK

Here's my thoughts.

HC:
Russ Grimm but making sure we get a decent GM to support him

Free Agency:
Shawn Merriman OLB - only 25 and with the Chargers resigning Jackson and McNeill having already drafted English, Merriman is the odd man out.

Gabe Watson NT allowing us to seriously look at a 3-4 alignment.

A QB - depending on availability, David Carr or better still Kyle Orton

Roster
I might consider moving Woods to C, Hangartner to LG and Levitre to RG. Butler back at RT and a R1 LT alongside the veteran.

Trade Lynch. We might be able to get a R2 from a team who has no ground game like Seattle and a number of other needs.

Draft
R1 - a LT either Russell Okung or the fast rising Bruce Campbell

R2 (both picks) - DL, a choice of Cameron Heyward (if he declares), Mike Neal, Jared Odrick or Arthur Jones

R3 - a QB if Pike slides or if Devlin or Ponder declare

R4 - ILB; depth like Sean Lee if he slides because of old injury

rest of the draft:

James Stark RB
Nathan Roosevelt WR

We have four picks through R5 to R7 and also have a conditional pick from the Simpson trade to Detroit.

Use clearly 4-3 guys like Kyle Williams as bait to trade up or down. We might get a late Day2, early Day3 selection in return for someone looking for an ok starter who could contribute immediate

superbills
12-04-2009, 01:13 PM

Never won one with the Colts.

Beastie Bills
12-04-2009, 01:47 PM
Shula was one of two that won a superbowl after winning the NFL championship with a different team. Funny, both won the NFL Championship with the Colts (the other was Weeb Ewbank). I only looked at Superbowls though.

Beastie Bills
12-04-2009, 01:48 PM
Don't forget about Jake Locker from Washington

I don't know that much about Locker, but I like the little bit I've seen from him.

Is he definitely coming out this year? He's not a senior, right?

DesertFox24
12-04-2009, 02:20 PM
OK

Here's my thoughts.

HC:
Russ Grimm but making sure we get a decent GM to support him

Free Agency:
Shawn Merriman OLB - only 25 and with the Chargers resigning Jackson and McNeill having already drafted English, Merriman is the odd man out.

Gabe Watson NT allowing us to seriously look at a 3-4 alignment.

A QB - depending on availability, David Carr or better still Kyle Orton

Roster
I might consider moving Woods to C, Hangartner to LG and Levitre to RG. Butler back at RT and a R1 LT alongside the veteran.

Trade Lynch. We might be able to get a R2 from a team who has no ground game like Seattle and a number of other needs.

Draft
R1 - a LT either Russell Okung or the fast rising Bruce Campbell

R2 (both picks) - DL, a choice of Cameron Heyward (if he declares), Mike Neal, Jared Odrick or Arthur Jones

R3 - a QB if Pike slides or if Devlin or Ponder declare

R4 - ILB; depth like Sean Lee if he slides because of old injury

rest of the draft:

James Stark RB
Nathan Roosevelt WR

We have four picks through R5 to R7 and also have a conditional pick from the Simpson trade to Detroit.

Use clearly 4-3 guys like Kyle Williams as bait to trade up or down. We might get a late Day2, early Day3 selection in return for someone looking for an ok starter who could contribute immediate

If anything you need two RBs in this league, why trade him we need them.

kernowboy
12-04-2009, 02:35 PM
If anything you need two RBs in this league, why trade him we need them.

err, draft JAMES STARKS RB

if he hadn't injured his shoulder he'd have been a 3rd rounder odds on and he has better hands out of backfield than Lynch