• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • T-Long
    Circling the Wagons since 1982.
    • Sep 2003

My offseason Plan

1. Sign one of the two: Mike Shanahan or Bill Cowher. I don't care what it takes. We got tons of money for having these **** ass games in Toronto, so use it damnit.

2. Re-sign Owens to a 2 year deal for a total of $10 million. The guy has proven he can still play.

3. Draft the best LT available at our pick, unless a QB is there that we can simply not pass up. Remember, with a new regime, they'll want their own guy. People think that the Bills won't take a QB, but we won't know until we know who's coaching. I'll go the conservative route here and grab a LT like OKUNG.

4. Shuffle up the OL as follows:

LT: Okung
    LG: Levitre
    C: Wood
    RG: Butler
    RT: Jonathan Scott (also sign a free agent and draft another tackle to compete). Bell goes to 2nd string.

5. If Shanahan or Cowher take the job, they will switch to a 3-4. If that's the case, we may go DT in first round, depending on who's there. Suh and McCoy may be gone. I also think Casey Hampton is a free agent...right?

OLB: Maybin
    ILB: Posz
    ILB: Mitchell
    OLB: Harris gets a shot but we bring in a vet to compete (Ellison is second string)

Whitner and Kelsay could be let go, all depending on how the new regime feels about George Wilson.

That's all I can think off the top of my head...I may add to this later..
    Last edited by T-Long; 12-04-2009, 12:17 PM.
  • Beastie Bills
    Senior Zoner
    • Mar 2009

Re: My offseason Plan

We won't get either Cohwer or Shanahan. Not gonna happen.

And Kelsay might be our best DE. Sad but true.

Comment

• Prov401
      President of WADL (Whitner Anti-Defamation League)
      • Aug 2008

I don't think we are going to get an elite coach. Maybe Gruden will get an ich and want to listen to our offer after MNF is over. I know he signed an extension with ESPN, but it doesn't mean he can't leave. I truly cannot believe that coaches aren't lineing up with what we are offering. Sticking with the theme, my offseason plans go as this:

-Hire a proven coach.

-Draft a QB and LT with our first two picks. I'm going to wait until the combine to see whether or not these QB's in the draft are elite enough to take in the first. If not, I'd go LT then QB.

-Extend Owens, though I don't think we are his first option. We can always franchise him. I always believe Owens still had it. We need someone who can give him the ball. If he was on a team like Chicago, he would have 70 receptions easily. He is still very servicable.

-Sign Richard Seymour, or Demeco Ryans.

-Get rid of Mitchell, Parrish, Reed, Youboty, and Fitz.

Those are my early wishes. I'm sure nothing will go as I plan, but I'm just throwing out there what I would do.

Comment

• bflojohn
        • Aug 2005

First and foremost, bring in a bonified General Manager who can run the entire football operation. Raid nothing but the finest organizations for talent in the front office in Buffalo. Then, this new "football guy" hires a scouting department, absent John Guy and Tom Modrak. If this all happens during the month of January, the right coach and staff are assembled, hired by the GM just brought in to establish a new winning direction. The starting point is to examine the dead weight on the roster, and the tradeable players, going forward. Target the free agency pool, in order to create the neccessary depth and in March, sign your guys early on in the process. Find your QB in April's draft because a simple rule in this league is that you don't WIN without one! If it's deemed that the best bet is Brian Brohm, surround him with everything he'll need to be successful ( O-line). Aim to STOP the run, and establish it offensively! Harsh conditions in the Buffalo market means that this team needs a SMASH MOUTH philosophy, coupled with the ability to throw it too (think K-gun!).
        GM- Floyd Reese
        Head Coach- Mike Heimerdinger
        Expendable players (trade, cut)- Kelsay, Whitner, Lynch, Edwards, McCargo
        Denny, Reed, and possibly Evans and Schobel in a trade.
        QB- Brohm and/or rookie with Fitzpatrick
        Draft-
        1st pick- Russell Okung, OLT, Oklahoma State
        2nd pick- Arthur Jones, DT, Syracuse
        3rd pick- Tony Pike, QB, Cincinnati

Comment

• shelby
          The Vanilla *****
          • Jul 2002

Gruden won't come to Buffalo.

i just want a coach with real experience. No more Mularkey, Jauron, etc.

i still think Reed is clutch, and Roscoe has promise.

i don't think TO will want to play here next season.

Why do you want to get rid of Youboty? He was decent before his injury.

Comment

For me

A good GM and leading Head Coach candidate like Russ Grimm.

Switch to the 3-4 and sign Gabe Watson as starter at NT. Pick up Shawne Merriman at OLB to pair with Aaron Maybin. Sign a decent young veteran like David Carr at QB.

Trade Lynch and try to get a R2 maybe from Seattle.

Keep the likes of Mitchell and Whitner whilst we bring along any rookies behind them whether drafted this year or next.

On the OL, mix the middle - Levitre to RG, Wood to C, Hangartner to LG where he did well in Carolina. Butler stays at RT, a new R1 pick comes in at LT.

Resign both Owens and Reed, cut Johnson.

Trade players only capable of playing in a 4-3 like Kyle Williams and Chris Kelsay.

In the draft
            R1; LT Russell Okung or Bruce Campbell

R2; DE Mike Neal, Jared Odrick, Arthur Jones, or if they come out Cameron Heyward or Allen Bailey
            R2; (from Seattle) a second player from the list above
            R3; a QB prospect (hopefully Ponder or Devlin will declare)

R4; ILB Sean Lee to develop behind and replace Mitchell

with remaining 5 picks (5th, 6th, 6th Eagles, 7th and a conditional pick from the Simpson trade) make sure we draft

WR Naaman Roosevelt
            RB James Starks to pair with Jackson
            Last edited by Guest; 12-04-2009, 02:34 PM.

Comment

• PECKERWOOD
              Defies all logic
              • Oct 2006

Ok, here is what I would do:

Hire Russ Grimm as Head Coach.

Hire Hue Jackson as Offensive Coordinator.

Retain Perry Fewell as Defensive Coordinator and Assistant Head Coach.

Draft:

1.) Ryan Mallet, QB, Arkansas
              2.) Trent Williams, LT, Oklahoma
              3.) Dexter McCluster, WR, Ole Miss

Sign:

Derrick Johnson, OLB, Kansas City

Alex Barron, RT, St. Louis

Jason Avant, WR, Philadelphia

Terrell Owens (If not voluntarily, franchise tag him)

Keith Ellison, LB, BUF (I like him, I want him back here)

Cut: Roscoe Parrish

Let walk: Josh Reed

Trade: Trent Edwards, won't be picky, a bag of chips would suffice.

Roster:

Offense:

Owens..-Williams, Levitre, Hangartner, Wood, Barron-...Avant..Evans
              ..............................................Mallett...........................................
              ..................................Lynch..............Jackson...................

Defense:

McKelvin....-Maybin..Williams..Stroud..Schobel-.....McGee
              .........................Mitchell...Posluszny....Johnson..................
              .......................................Byrd....................................
              .......................................Whitner......................

Comment

• trapezeus
                Legendary Zoner
                • Oct 2004

tlong - why you cutting hangartner and starting J. Scott ahead of him. That's a bad idea. rest of your thread, i can get on board with to some degree. i'm getting more weary on shanahan as a savior. in many ways, i'd like to get the GM first.

Comment

• Griff
                  • Jul 2008

if we go 3-4 we're going to need a whole new crew of DEs, and Kyle will have to put on a lot of weight to back up Stroud.

however Johnson might be able to move over.

Comment

Current 3-4 DEs on the roster can include Spencer Johnson, Corey Mace, and potentially Ryan Denney.

Sign Gabe Watson, 330lbs to spell Stroud and draft a couple of DE in R2 including a pick we get for Lynch and we're in as good a shape on the DL as Denver was.

Comment

Mallett would be a horrific pick in the Top10. His footwork is appalling. Many experts think that Williams cannot play LT in the NFL whilst Barron has more false starts than Bell.

Comment

• PECKERWOOD
                        Defies all logic
                        • Oct 2006

Originally posted by kernowboy
                        Mallett would be a horrific pick in the Top10. His footwork is appalling. Many experts think that Williams cannot play LT in the NFL whilst Barron has more false starts than Bell.
                        Well, I actually watch the players I pick... You know, I don't always go by Walterfootball or what the "experts" say. Mallett is a big name, many people haven't caught on yet, but from what I hear he will declare and you'll be familiar with him once Mayock, Kiper and McShay finally catch on, it may take them dunces awhile though.

As far as Trent Williams goes, Oklahoma has had one of the best lines in all of college football, he will transition nicely. He is better than Duke Robinson and Phil Loadholt who have had some early success in the NFL, no reason Trent Williams won't.

Btw, Barron has more athletic ability than Bell, Butler or Scott, plus he is playing out of position in St. Louis. Barron would not be a bad pickup, if he plays strictly RT.
                        Last edited by PECKERWOOD; 12-04-2009, 07:47 PM.

Comment

• elltrain22
                          • Sep 2003

Originally posted by PECKERWOOD
                          Ok, here is what I would do:

Hire Russ Grimm as Head Coach.

Hire Hue Jackson as Offensive Coordinator.

Retain Perry Fewell as Defensive Coordinator and Assistant Head Coach.

Draft:

1.) Ryan Mallet, QB, Arkansas
                          2.) Trent Williams, LT, Oklahoma
                          3.) Dexter McCluster, WR, Ole Miss

Sign:

Derrick Johnson, OLB, Kansas City

Alex Barron, RT, St. Louis

Jason Avant, WR, Philadelphia

Terrell Owens (If not voluntarily, franchise tag him)

Keith Ellison, LB, BUF (I like him, I want him back here)

Cut: Roscoe Parrish

Let walk: Josh Reed

Trade: Trent Edwards, won't be picky, a bag of chips would suffice.

Roster:

Offense:

Owens..-Williams, Levitre, Hangartner, Wood, Barron-...Avant..Evans
                          ..............................................Mallett...........................................
                          ..................................Lynch..............Jackson...................

Defense:

McKelvin....-Maybin..Williams..Stroud..Schobel-.....McGee
                          .........................Mitchell...Posluszny....Johnson..................
                          .......................................Byrd....................................
                          .......................................Whitner......................
                          I agree w/ you on almost all of your choices. Very nice, cept for our OC, never heard of the Hue Jackson.
                          If you walk with Jesus today, you don't have anything to worry about tomorrow...

Comment

• Demon
                            • Mar 2003

Originally posted by T-Long
                            1. Sign one of the two: Mike Shanahan or Bill Cowher. I don't care what it takes. We got tons of money for having these **** ass games in Toronto, so use it damnit.
                            The Bills are trying and it just isn't working. They won't come here and the sooner our fans realize it, the better.
                            Impossible is Nothing.

Comment

• Nighthawk
                              Getting old waiting for a championship in Buffalo!
                              • Jul 2002

Just say NO to Perry Fewell being a part of this franchise! He's a mediocre DC and that isn't going to change...what the hell is wrong with some of you people?

Comment

Working...
                              X