PDA

View Full Version : What about going after Dennis Dixon?

THATHURMANATOR
12-04-2009, 06:27 PM
I like this kid.

What do you think?

G Wolly
12-04-2009, 06:29 PM
Well, it took him a few plays to get used to it. But he didn't do so hot in his first game.

Maybe we could raise him right given that we have the right people in the organization to teach him how to play the right way.

Night Train
12-04-2009, 06:29 PM
I've seen worse reaches. He's an athlete, that's for sure.

Is he a RFA/UFA ? What's his status for 2010 ?

THATHURMANATOR
12-04-2009, 06:31 PM
I've seen worse reaches. He's an athlete, that's for sure.

Is he a RFA/UFA ? What's his status for 2010 ?
I think he is signed for one more year but the Steelers would be interested in trading him from what I hear. Not sure how much I would give up for him though.

THATHURMANATOR
12-04-2009, 06:32 PM
Just think I would rather go after a talented guy like this, who has experience already than reach on one of these QBs coming out now.

I certainly wouldn't want to Rob Johnson this thing and give up too much. Definitely not a first or second IMO.

G Wolly
12-04-2009, 06:35 PM
Give em Lynch and a draft pick for Dixon.

Mendenhaal and Lynch would do well together with that blocking line.

Dr. Pepper
12-04-2009, 06:36 PM
how about giving them lynch for dixon + a pick? parker wont be back, and they might want a nice compliment for mendenhall.

THATHURMANATOR

Sure.

Draft another RB later on or sign a decent Vet. Freddy starts.

Dr. Pepper

wow. that is ***** creepy.

G Wolly
12-04-2009, 06:42 PM
I'm unsure as to why it's creepy?

Dr. Pepper
12-04-2009, 06:45 PM
we typed pretty much the exact same thing at the same time. just coincidental, thats all.

G Wolly
12-04-2009, 06:46 PM
Oh, right. I didn't even noticed.

Great minds type alike.

YoungEz
12-04-2009, 06:56 PM
Any option is better than Fitz, everyone knows he is terrible has been for awhile

G Wolly
12-04-2009, 06:57 PM
He's not terrible. He's just not starting QB material.

casdhf
12-04-2009, 07:34 PM
Don't the Steelers have Mendenhal and Willie Parker? WTF would they want Lynch for?

G Wolly
12-04-2009, 07:42 PM
Willie Parker's on his way out anyway.

SABURZFAN
12-04-2009, 08:54 PM
I like this kid.

What do you think?

no thanks

THATHURMANATOR
12-04-2009, 09:19 PM
no thanks
I wasn't asking you.

Demon
12-04-2009, 09:23 PM
Not sure if i agree with saburzfan or not but as of right now, i have to say I do. People LOVE falling in love with QBs on this board based on a very small example of what the player could do. I would say we need to see more of this kid before making up our minds, but thats unlikley as i doubt he plays again this season unless it's garbage time, and i don't think it's smart for the Bills to trade anything for a kid who's still labled as a "project".

SeatownBillsFan21
12-04-2009, 11:23 PM
How about we draft a good QB what a concept hhuh??

G Wolly
12-05-2009, 12:42 AM

How bout the last 2 QBs we drafted "hhuh??"

THATHURMANATOR
12-05-2009, 02:54 AM
Not sure if i agree with saburzfan or not but as of right now, i have to say I do. People LOVE falling in love with QBs on this board based on a very small example of what the player could do. I would say we need to see more of this kid before making up our minds, but thats unlikley as i doubt he plays again this season unless it's garbage time, and i don't think it's smart for the Bills to trade anything for a kid who's still labled as a "project".
I am not in "love" with the guy but think of this. We already saw he was very good in College. We have also seen him play fairly well in an NFL game which is better than we can say for anyone still in college. Just figuring we maybe could get a guy in here for cheaper than a first or second round pick

kernowboy
12-05-2009, 04:29 AM
A simple No.

We need to sign a QB with more experience.

I seem to recall us trading for a Californian QB with one start and that didn't turn out too wel. A pct of 46.2, a TD and INT, and 145yds is even worse than that previous error.

We need to fix LT and that looks like being our No1 pick hopefully.

We can sign a caretaker QB like David Carr and stick him behind a decent line unlike the sieve he faced in Houston.

We can see if any of the juniors like Christian Ponder or Pat Devlin take the plunge and draft at the end of Day3 / start of Day4.

Alternatively we keep hold of Trent, see if we can make him look good in some short appearances and get some trade value. We also give Brian Brohm a look and chance to beat out Carr.

But the key is drafting a Top LT

THATHURMANATOR
12-05-2009, 09:48 AM
Wait. No to Dixon but yes to Carr? :ill:

kernowboy
12-05-2009, 10:19 AM
Wait. No to Dixon but yes to Carr? :ill:

Dixon has played one game in the NFL. He was a fifth round pick so hardly considered a prospect.

Irrespective of who we draft or whether we look long at Brohm, we need to bring in an experienced QB.

The Giants clearly think enough of Carr to resign him.

With proper protection, he still has long enough (only 28) to have a Kerry Collins type end to his career.

Jaybird
12-05-2009, 10:48 AM
Carr??? you serious??? I would prefer Alex Van Pelt and his fat ass to come back, or why not bring in jeff George

DraftBoy
12-05-2009, 11:09 AM

That would take there being a good QB to draft, which there likely won't be. Not in Round 1 anways, Id rather trade for Dixon or Johnson and draft a kid in round 3 or 4 and let them develop for a year or two and see what we got.

Jaybird
12-05-2009, 11:20 AM
That would take there being a good QB to draft, which there likely won't be. Not in Round 1 anways, Id rather trade for Dixon or Johnson and draft a kid in round 3 or 4 and let them develop for a year or two and see what we got.

I agree with what you are saying, however, is rolling with one of those guys any different then giving Brohm a chance??

DraftBoy
12-05-2009, 11:53 AM
I agree with what you are saying, however, is rolling with one of those guys any different then giving Brohm a chance??

No and Im not opposed to seeing what Brohm has at all. But Id prefer to do that this season. Each of Johnson and Dixon have shown so far they have some transferable abilities. We don't know about Brohm yet.

DrGraves
12-05-2009, 12:56 PM
Mccoy and tebow win football games. we want to win football games.

this seems pretty simple to me...

Slim
12-05-2009, 01:05 PM
Mccoy and tebow win football games. we want to win football games.

this seems pretty simple to me...

Chris Leak and Graham Harrell agree.

G Wolly
12-05-2009, 01:09 PM
Irrespective of who we draft or whether we look long at Brohm, we need to bring in an experienced QB.

The Giants clearly think enough of Carr to resign him.

Experienced in riding the pine. There's a reason why he went from the starting QB/Face of the Texans to a mediocre backup. He's no better than Fitz at this point.

kscdogbillsfan1221
12-05-2009, 02:40 PM
Chris Leak and Graham Harrell agree.

Well said! lol

Demon
12-05-2009, 09:00 PM
I am not in "love" with the guy but think of this. We already saw he was very good in College. We have also seen him play fairly well in an NFL game which is better than we can say for anyone still in college. Just figuring we maybe could get a guy in here for cheaper than a first or second round pick

I understand your thinking, and if i recall, wasn't he a late 1st/early 2nd round pick projection before his injury? My problem is, what he did with Pittsburgh is irrelevant because of their coaching staff. I think they could make almost any QB look good. They didn't have the same game plan as they do with Big Ben.

Also, food for thought, as good as Dixon was, what he does in practice never convinced his coaching staff of making him Ben's backup... as Charlie Batch is their backup and i don't think we'd have one soul here arguing for Batch even if he had a lights out game.

kernowboy
12-06-2009, 04:29 AM
Experienced in riding the pine. There's a reason why he went from the starting QB/Face of the Texans to a mediocre backup. He's no better than Fitz at this point.

Firstly, in relief of Manning with the Giants he has done well. Just take a moment to look at the stats and performance before condemning him

Secondly, in his third (2004) and fourth (2005) seasons his performance improved throwing more TDs than Ints and with a Rtg of 83.5 and 77.2 respectively. Even in his final year (2006) his Rtg was 82.1

Thirdly, Carr is an object lesson in the absolute and unequivicable need for an elite LT. The Texans had Bosselli as Plan A but had no Plan B, so Carr spent 5 years with a player not even of the standard of Gandy or Bell, guarding his blindside. No wonder he was sacked to a ridiculous level.

Draft a top LT this year, and stick Carr behind center and we'll have a decent enough QB until a better year is available, rather than panic and try to draft one this year, all of whom have higher than normal bust risk written all over them.